|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jimmy go to work for several years?
2. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
(a) The loneliness of reading alone and the boy's feeling of being alone.
(b) The sadness felt by the boy after being forced to read only at night.
(c) The confusion the boy feels by not understanding what he reads.
(d) The boy's reading of his first book.
3. What happens to the boy's mother after she stops taking the medicine?
(a) Her state of mind improves.
(b) She becomes healthier.
(c) She loses her memory.
(d) She becomes suicidal.
4. What is going to be built across the river?
(a) Catholic church.
(b) British oxygen plant.
(c) Police station.
(d) Private farmhouse.
5. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
(a) Because she didn't want Katie to know Eddie was the informer.
(b) Because she would have to reveal that Katie's husband was the informer.
(c) Because Katie knew nothing about Eddie's disappearance.
(d) Because she didn't want to tell Katie that Eddie was executed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
2. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
3. What causes the priest to call off Larry McLaughlin's wedding?
4. When the boy encounters Crazy Joe in Chapter 5, what does Crazy Joe ask him to do?
5. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)