|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
(a) The confusion the boy feels by not understanding what he reads.
(b) The sadness felt by the boy after being forced to read only at night.
(c) The loneliness of reading alone and the boy's feeling of being alone.
(d) The boy's reading of his first book.
2. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
(a) Because Katie knew nothing about Eddie's disappearance.
(b) Because she didn't want to tell Katie that Eddie was executed.
(c) Because she didn't want Katie to know Eddie was the informer.
(d) Because she would have to reveal that Katie's husband was the informer.
3. What does Jimmy do before he is found dead?
(a) He hides the gun.
(b) He curses at the window of the room where Danno had lived.
(c) He visits the doctor.
(d) He kills Claire.
4. When the boy and his brother, Liam, are taken across the river by their father, what does his father's explanation about Eddie reveal to the boy?
(a) His father knows nothing of Eddie's disappearance.
(b) His father knows more about Eddie's disappearance than does anyone else.
(c) The boy knows more than his father knows.
(d) Liam knows more about Eddie's disappearance than does the boy.
5. Why does the boy's father hit him in Chapter 3?
(a) The boy tells his father he hates him.
(b) The boy doesn't stop talking.
(c) His father is drunk.
(d) The boy tells his father he should be blaming Eddie.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
2. How long are Bernadette and Ena kept in the shed until the boy's father finds them?
3. What is the first physical change Francis and Frances encounter?
4. What happens to the boy after he takes the girl to the cinema?
5. What happens to Billy Mahon?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)