|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
(b) The death of the boy's sister.
(c) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
(d) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
2. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
(a) The library.
(c) The brothel.
(d) The distillery.
3. Who is Meave?
(a) Eddie's daughter.
(b) The boy's sister.
(c) The boy's niece.
(d) Katie's daughter.
4. Why is the boys' mother upset when they return from their boat ride across the river?
(a) She didn't want the boys on the river.
(b) She knows her husband told the boys about Eddie.
(c) She didn't expect them to return so soon.
(d) She didn't have enough time to prepare dinner.
5. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
(a) The sadness felt by the boy after being forced to read only at night.
(b) The loneliness of reading alone and the boy's feeling of being alone.
(c) The confusion the boy feels by not understanding what he reads.
(d) The boy's reading of his first book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
2. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
3. Who is the real informer?
4. On what day do the Francis and Frances' parents die?
5. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)