|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
(b) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
(c) The death of the boy's sister.
(d) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
2. Who is the heroine of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
3. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
(a) He is missing.
(b) He tells stories.
(c) He wanders.
(d) He does not talk.
4. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
(c) A pillow.
5. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The boy and Rory Hannaway.
(b) The boy and his mother.
(c) The boy and Una, his sister.
(d) The boy and his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what causes the boy's mother to become inconsolable?
2. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
3. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
4. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
5. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)