|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy's father do for a living?
(a) He is an electrician.
(b) He is a shopkeeper.
(c) He is a salesman.
(d) He is a factory worker.
2. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
(a) Brigid McLaughlin.
(b) Aunt Bernadette.
(d) Katie McIlhenny.
3. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
(a) Bad things happen because people make poor choices.
(b) Only God should judge people and decide their fate.
(c) God's love extends even to those who commit evil deeds.
(d) Action should be taken to prevent further violence.
4. How does the boy's grandfather die?
(a) Old age.
(b) A heart attack.
(c) An accident.
(d) A stroke.
5. What happens that lets the boy know his father isn't upset anymore about the rose bushes?
(a) His father comes in and kisses his head.
(b) His father apologizes.
(c) His father smiles at him.
(d) His father tells him he understands why his son did it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
2. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
3. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
4. Why do the boy's father's drinking binges stop between 1920 and 1926?
5. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)