|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sergeant Burke suggest to the boy as he gives him a ride home?
(a) That the boy's father doesn't know what really happened to Eddie.
(b) That the boy's father is responsible for Eddie's disappearance.
(c) That Eddie was involved in something dangerous before his disappearance.
(d) That Eddie was killed.
2. What is going to be built across the river?
(a) Police station.
(b) British oxygen plant.
(c) Catholic church.
(d) Private farmhouse.
3. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
(b) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
(c) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
(d) The death of the boy's sister.
4. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
(a) The murder suspect disappeared.
(b) The murder suspect had a proven alibi.
(c) The evidence was tampered with.
(d) There wasn't enough evidence.
5. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The boy and his mother.
(b) The boy and his father.
(c) The boy and Una, his sister.
(d) The boy and Rory Hannaway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens that lets the boy know his father isn't upset anymore about the rose bushes?
2. What happens to the distillery after the shootout?
3. What is the first physical change Francis and Frances encounter?
4. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
5. Who is Meave?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)