|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Brigid think she is going mad?
(a) The orphans keep changing.
(b) She sees ghosts out the window.
(c) She keeps losing things.
(d) She is losing her voice.
2. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
(b) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(c) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(d) He is beaten by the police.
3. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
(a) Only God should judge people and decide their fate.
(b) Action should be taken to prevent further violence.
(c) God's love extends even to those who commit evil deeds.
(d) Bad things happen because people make poor choices.
4. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
(a) The Poor Old Woman.
(b) The Lovely Dark Land.
(c) The Conflict of Past.
(d) The Land of Poverty.
5. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
(a) His mother's depression.
(b) His sympathy for the Protestant police.
(c) The book he reads in the dark.
(d) What he finds in his sister's wardrobe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rory Hannaway die?
2. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
3. Who is Meave?
4. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
5. In October of 1952, where is the boy sent to live?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)