|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
(a) He was out wandering at night.
(b) He didn't have a ride home.
(c) He was being bullied.
(d) He was in trouble.
2. What do the boy's parents suggest he should have done instead of involving Sergeant Burke when he was being bullied?
(a) They said he should have run away.
(b) They said he should have stood up for himself.
(c) They said he should have talked the bully out of fighting.
(d) They said he should have just taken the punches.
3. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
(a) A gun.
(b) A murder suspect.
(c) A missing child.
(d) Stolen goods.
4. What happens to the distillery after the shootout?
(a) It is shutdown.
(b) It floods.
(c) It explodes.
(d) It is rebuilt.
5. When does Tony McIlhenny disappear?
(a) When Una dies.
(b) When Ena dies.
(c) When Katie is pregnant.
(d) When the boy is born.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
2. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
3. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
4. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
5. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)