|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the boy describe how he got rid of the infestation in Chapter 3?
(a) He flooded the nests.
(b) He threw burning rags on them.
(c) He hired an exterminator.
(d) He had the dogs eat them.
2. Who tells the boy that some families are devil-haunted?
3. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
(d) A pillow.
4. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The death of the boy's sister.
(b) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
(c) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
(d) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
5. What does the boy try to do after his talk with Sergeant Burke in Chapter 3?
(a) To run away.
(b) To talk to his father.
(c) To hide in his room.
(d) To talk to his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
2. How old was the boy's father when he was left in charge of the family?
3. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
4. How does Rory Hannaway die?
5. What does Sergeant Burke suggest to the boy as he gives him a ride home?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)