|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
2. Why does Brigid think she is going mad?
(a) The orphans keep changing.
(b) She sees ghosts out the window.
(c) She keeps losing things.
(d) She is losing her voice.
3. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
(a) She was kidnapped.
(b) She became sick and died.
(c) She ran away.
(d) She became paralyzed.
4. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
(a) A missing child.
(b) Stolen goods.
(c) A murder suspect.
(d) A gun.
5. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
(a) What he finds in his sister's wardrobe.
(b) His sympathy for the Protestant police.
(c) His mother's depression.
(d) The book he reads in the dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
2. How old was the boy's father when he was left in charge of the family?
3. What are the IRA gunmen protesting at the shootout at the distillery?
4. In what year does the novel begin?
5. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)