|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
(a) The boy's reading of his first book.
(b) The loneliness of reading alone and the boy's feeling of being alone.
(c) The confusion the boy feels by not understanding what he reads.
(d) The sadness felt by the boy after being forced to read only at night.
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
(a) His mother's unsuccessful suicide attempts caused by her depression.
(b) Stories of the murder trial of 1922.
(c) His treatment by the police.
(d) The death of his sister.
4. From which part of the traditions of both Protestants and Catholics does the boy derive excitement?
(a) The dancing.
(b) The bonfires.
(c) The singing.
(d) The gathering.
5. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(b) He is beaten by the police.
(c) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(d) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the shoot-out of 1922 occur?
2. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
3. What is the first physical change Francis and Frances encounter?
4. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
5. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)