|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy's father do for a living?
(a) He is a factory worker.
(b) He is a shopkeeper.
(c) He is a salesman.
(d) He is an electrician.
2. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
(a) The rebellion of 1798.
(b) The shootout of 1922.
(c) The black death of 1348.
(d) The famine of 1740.
3. How does Rory Hannaway die?
(a) Beaten to death by thieves.
(b) Killed by a reversing lorry.
(c) Contracted meningitis.
(d) Drowned in the river.
4. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
(a) The loneliness of reading alone and the boy's feeling of being alone.
(b) The confusion the boy feels by not understanding what he reads.
(c) The sadness felt by the boy after being forced to read only at night.
(d) The boy's reading of his first book.
5. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
(a) She sings the children's song once a year.
(b) She pretends the children have never left.
(c) She never leaves her house.
(d) She skips wherever she goes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the boy's father when he was left in charge of the family?
2. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
3. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
4. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
5. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)