|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) Someone outside will see him.
(b) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
(c) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
(d) She senses a ghost nearby.
2. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
(a) His mother attempt suicide.
(b) The house burn down.
(c) The death of a young boy.
(d) His father leave town.
3. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
(a) <i>The History of Ireland.</i>
(b) <i>The Poor Old Woman.</i>
(c) <i>Paradise Lost.</i>
(d) <i>The Bible.</i>
4. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
(a) His sympathy for the Protestant police.
(b) What he finds in his sister's wardrobe.
(c) The book he reads in the dark.
(d) His mother's depression.
5. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
(a) Stolen goods.
(b) A missing child.
(c) A murder suspect.
(d) A gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. The famous shoot-out in 1922 was between which two groups of people?
2. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
3. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
4. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
5. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)