|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
(a) She ran away.
(b) She was kidnapped.
(c) She became paralyzed.
(d) She became sick and died.
2. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) Someone outside will see him.
(b) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
(c) She senses a ghost nearby.
(d) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
3. In what year does the novel begin?
4. What happens to Billy Mahon?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He is framed for murder.
(c) He is robbed.
(d) He is pushed off the bridge.
5. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
(a) The sadness felt by the boy after being forced to read only at night.
(b) The loneliness of reading alone and the boy's feeling of being alone.
(c) The boy's reading of his first book.
(d) The confusion the boy feels by not understanding what he reads.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
2. Who is the heroine of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
3. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
4. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
5. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)