|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
(a) To his teacher.
(b) To a grave.
(c) To a sick relative's house.
(d) To his father.
2. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The boy and his father.
(b) The boy and Una, his sister.
(c) The boy and Rory Hannaway.
(d) The boy and his mother.
3. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(b) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
(c) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(d) He is beaten by the police.
4. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
(a) His sympathy for the Protestant police.
(b) The book he reads in the dark.
(c) What he finds in his sister's wardrobe.
(d) His mother's depression.
5. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
(b) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
(c) The death of the boy's sister.
(d) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
2. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
3. In what year does the novel begin?
4. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
5. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)