|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The boy and his father.
(b) The boy and Rory Hannaway.
(c) The boy and Una, his sister.
(d) The boy and his mother.
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
(a) She ran away.
(b) She was kidnapped.
(c) She became sick and died.
(d) She became paralyzed.
4. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) A family friend.
(c) A German sailor.
(d) A local policeman.
5. How does Rory Hannaway die?
(a) Beaten to death by thieves.
(b) Killed by a reversing lorry.
(c) Contracted meningitis.
(d) Drowned in the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the shoot-out of 1922 occur?
2. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
3. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
4. Who is the heroine of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
5. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)