|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) Brother Regan.
(c) Neil McLaughlin.
(d) A policeman.
2. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
(a) A German sailor.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) A local policeman.
(d) A family friend.
3. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) She senses a ghost nearby.
(b) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
(c) Someone outside will see him.
(d) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
4. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
(a) Stories of the murder trial of 1922.
(b) His treatment by the police.
(c) His mother's unsuccessful suicide attempts caused by her depression.
(d) The death of his sister.
5. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
2. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
3. In Chapter 1, what causes the boy's mother to become inconsolable?
4. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
5. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)