|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what causes the boy's mother to become inconsolable?
(a) Her husband leaves.
(b) She loses her job.
(c) The boy becomes sick.
(d) One of her children dies.
2. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
(a) A German sailor.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) A local policeman.
(d) A family friend.
3. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
(a) Brother Regan, the boy, and his father.
(b) The boy, his brother Liam, and their father.
(c) Rory Hannaway, Neil McLaughlin, and the boy's uncle.
(d) The boy, his father, and Rory Hannaway.
4. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
(a) Neil McLaughlin.
(b) Brother Regan.
(c) Billy Mahon.
(d) Rory Hannaway.
5. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
(a) Paradise Lost.
(b) The Poor Old Woman.
(c) The History of Ireland.
(d) The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
2. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
3. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
4. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
5. In what year does the novel begin?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)