|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
(a) What he finds in his sister's wardrobe.
(b) His mother's depression.
(c) His sympathy for the Protestant police.
(d) The book he reads in the dark.
2. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
(a) The death of his sister.
(b) Stories of the murder trial of 1922.
(c) His treatment by the police.
(d) His mother's unsuccessful suicide attempts caused by her depression.
3. In what year does the novel begin?
4. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(b) He is beaten by the police.
(c) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(d) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
5. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
(a) Neil McLaughlin.
(b) A policeman.
(c) Brother Regan.
(d) His grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
2. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
3. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
4. Who is Billy Mahon?
5. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)