|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
(a) The boy's reading of his first book.
(b) The loneliness of reading alone and the boy's feeling of being alone.
(c) The confusion the boy feels by not understanding what he reads.
(d) The sadness felt by the boy after being forced to read only at night.
2. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
(a) The death of a young boy.
(b) His father leave town.
(c) The house burn down.
(d) His mother attempt suicide.
3. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
(a) Billy Mahon.
(b) Rory Hannaway.
(c) Brother Regan.
(d) Neil McLaughlin.
4. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
(a) A family friend.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) A German sailor.
(d) A local policeman.
5. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(b) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(c) He is beaten by the police.
(d) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Billy Mahon?
2. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
3. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
4. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
5. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)