|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the shoot-out of 1922 occur?
(a) In the church.
(b) In the market.
(c) In the streets.
(d) In the distillery.
2. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
(a) The Land of Poverty.
(b) The Conflict of Past.
(c) The Poor Old Woman.
(d) The Lovely Dark Land.
3. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
(a) The murder suspect disappeared.
(b) There wasn't enough evidence.
(c) The evidence was tampered with.
(d) The murder suspect had a proven alibi.
4. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
(a) A flower.
(b) A photo album.
(d) A gun.
5. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
(a) Stories of the murder trial of 1922.
(b) His treatment by the police.
(c) The death of his sister.
(d) His mother's unsuccessful suicide attempts caused by her depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what causes the boy's mother to become inconsolable?
2. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
3. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
4. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
5. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)