|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
(a) A German sailor.
(b) A local policeman.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) A family friend.
2. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
(a) The Poor Old Woman.
(b) The Conflict of Past.
(c) The Land of Poverty.
(d) The Lovely Dark Land.
3. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
(b) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
(c) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
(d) The death of the boy's sister.
4. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The boy and his mother.
(b) The boy and his father.
(c) The boy and Rory Hannaway.
(d) The boy and Una, his sister.
5. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
(b) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
(c) She senses a ghost nearby.
(d) Someone outside will see him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
2. In Chapter 1, what causes the boy's mother to become inconsolable?
3. In what year does the novel begin?
4. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
5. What happens to Billy Mahon?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)