|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) She senses a ghost nearby.
(b) Someone outside will see him.
(c) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
(d) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
2. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
(a) Katie McIlhenny.
(c) Aunt Bernadette.
(d) Brigid McLaughlin.
3. In Chapter 1, what causes the boy's mother to become inconsolable?
(a) The boy becomes sick.
(b) She loses her job.
(c) Her husband leaves.
(d) One of her children dies.
4. The famous shoot-out in 1922 was between which two groups of people?
(a) The IRA and the police.
(b) The IRA and the boy's family.
(c) The boy's uncles and the IRA.
(d) The police and the boy's family.
5. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
(a) A policeman.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) Brother Regan.
(d) Neil McLaughlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
2. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
3. What happens to the distillery after the shootout?
4. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
5. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)