|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
(a) A policeman.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) Brother Regan.
(d) Neil McLaughlin.
2. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
(a) Their grandfather.
(b) Their father's brother.
(c) Their mother's sister.
(d) Their brother.
3. Why does Brigid think she is going mad?
(a) She is losing her voice.
(b) She keeps losing things.
(c) The orphans keep changing.
(d) She sees ghosts out the window.
4. Who is Meave?
(a) Eddie's daughter.
(b) The boy's sister.
(c) The boy's niece.
(d) Katie's daughter.
5. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
(a) The sadness felt by the boy after being forced to read only at night.
(b) The boy's reading of his first book.
(c) The confusion the boy feels by not understanding what he reads.
(d) The loneliness of reading alone and the boy's feeling of being alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the IRA gunmen protesting at the shootout at the distillery?
2. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
3. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
4. In Chapter 1, what causes the boy's mother to become inconsolable?
5. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)