|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Billy Mahon?
(a) A friend of the family.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A priest.
(d) A policeman.
2. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
(b) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
(c) The death of the boy's sister.
(d) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
3. What eventually happens to Danno?
(a) He moves away.
(b) He starts a new family.
(c) He returns to the military.
(d) He becomes ill and dies.
4. Why is the boy punished in 1954 by the Dean?
(a) Badmouthing the teacher.
(b) Cheating on the test.
(c) Not doing his homework.
(d) Skipping the retreat.
5. What does the boy's mother say out-of-the-blue while he is washing dishes with his father?
(a) "Silence follows those who know the truth."
(b) "We only live once."
(c) "Paradise was not far away when I died."
(d) "The queen smiles for a day."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
2. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
3. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
4. How does the boy's grandfather die?
5. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)