|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does the boy's mother give for not taking her medicine?
(a) It is ruining her teeth.
(b) She claims the medicine is a placebo.
(c) She doesn't think it is working.
(d) It tastes disgusting.
2. Why does Brigid think she is going mad?
(a) She keeps losing things.
(b) She is losing her voice.
(c) She sees ghosts out the window.
(d) The orphans keep changing.
3. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
(b) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
(c) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
(d) The death of the boy's sister.
4. To what does Father Nugent compare murder?
(a) Disobeying your parents.
(b) Sex without love.
(c) Hating your brother.
5. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
(a) Her dress.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) Her pills.
(d) The gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
2. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
3. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
4. When the boy and his brother, Liam, are taken across the river by their father, what does his father's explanation about Eddie reveal to the boy?
5. Who is Meave?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)