|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does the boy's mother give for not taking her medicine?
(a) She doesn't think it is working.
(b) It is ruining her teeth.
(c) It tastes disgusting.
(d) She claims the medicine is a placebo.
2. What passages of scripture does the boy find intriguing?
(a) The law of the Old Testament.
(b) The prophecies of revelation.
(c) The ones about good and evil.
(d) The gospel parables.
3. What do the boy's parents suggest he should have done instead of involving Sergeant Burke when he was being bullied?
(a) They said he should have run away.
(b) They said he should have just taken the punches.
(c) They said he should have talked the bully out of fighting.
(d) They said he should have stood up for himself.
4. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
5. What happens to the distillery after the shootout?
(a) It is rebuilt.
(b) It floods.
(c) It is shutdown.
(d) It explodes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
2. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
3. When the boy and his brother, Liam, are taken across the river by their father, what does his father's explanation about Eddie reveal to the boy?
4. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
5. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)