1. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The boy and Una, his sister.
(b) The boy and his mother.
(c) The boy and Rory Hannaway.
(d) The boy and his father.
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) She senses a ghost nearby.
(b) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
(c) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
(d) Someone outside will see him.
4. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
(a) His father leave town.
(b) The house burn down.
(c) The death of a young boy.
(d) His mother attempt suicide.
5. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
(a) A missing child.
(b) A gun.
(c) Stolen goods.
(d) A murder suspect.
6. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
(a) The murder suspect disappeared.
(b) There wasn't enough evidence.
(c) The evidence was tampered with.
(d) The murder suspect had a proven alibi.
This section contains 4,773 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)