|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael ask himself, sometimes, after Hanna's death?
(a) If he loved her enough.
(b) If he was responsible.
(c) If he could have reduced her sentence.
(d) If she deserved it.
2. To whom does Hanna want her money to be given?
(a) The daughter who survived the church fire.
(b) Michael's family.
(d) A charity.
3. What are some things Michael does to prepare for Hanna?
(a) He tries to make as much money as he could.
(b) He gets her an apartment and a job.
(c) He buys her lots of books.
(d) He buries himself in his work.
4. What is the first thing Michael notices about Hanna when he sees her in Part 3, Chapter 8?
(a) She has never looked so small.
(b) She looks exactly the same.
(c) She has aged and gained weight.
(d) She looks like his mother.
5. Where does Michael spend the summer after the trial?
(a) In a mental institution.
(b) In the reading room of the university library.
(c) With Sophie in France.
(d) Visiting his parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel does Michael reread at the end of Part 3, Chapter 4?
2. Who does Michael meet at the cemetery?
3. How long does it take to read the verdict?
4. When will Hanna make an appeal for clemency?
5. What job does Michael eventually take?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hanna respond to Michael's questions about the trial and their relationship?
2. What does Michael decide to do for work, and why?
3. What decision does Michael struggle with at the beginning of Chapter 4, and why?
4. In Chapter 17, what is the atmosphere in the courtroom at the beginning of the sentencing?
5. What happens when Michael goes to talk to the judge in Chapter 16?
6. What does Michael receive at the beginning of Chapter 6, and why does this cause him great joy?
7. How do the Michael's feelings about the trial become "awakened" in Chapter 3?
8. What happens to Michael when he visits the cemetery in Chapter 3?
9. Of Hanna's possessions, what does the daughter decide to keep, and why?
10. What happens when Michael speaks to Hanna, right before she is released, at the end of chapter 9?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)