|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hanna die?
(a) She cuts her wrists.
(b) She dies of a heart attack.
(c) She dies of fever.
(d) She hangs herself.
2. How much money does Hanna leave for Michael to handle?
(a) The contents of the tea tin and 7,000 marks in the bank.
(b) The contents of the tea tin and 10,000 marks in the bank.
(d) The contents of the tea tin and 20,000 marks in the bank.
3. When does Michael go to the prison for the first time?
4. What has Michael noticed about Hanna's voice at the end of Part 3, Chapter 9?
(a) It sounds like music.
(b) She is barely audible.
(c) It has stayed young.
(d) It is harsh and ragged.
5. Why does Michael say "there's no need to talk"?
(a) "Because the truth of what one says is a lie."
(b) "Because the truth of what one says lies in what one does not do."
(c) "Because there is no truth in words."
(d) "Because the truth of what one says lies in what one does."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michael get to his destination in Chapter 14?
2. When could Michael finally carry out Hanna's instructions for her money?
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 16, what does Michael say he couldn't "make himself do"?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what does Michael deem "the most grotesque oversimplification of all"?
5. What does Michael notice about the note, upon first glance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Michael is happy, why does he also feel sorry for Hanna?
2. Describe the driver Michael hitches a ride with in Chapter 14.
3. What does Michael do to prepare for Hanna's release in Chapter 9?
4. Of Hanna's possessions, what does the daughter decide to keep, and why?
5. In Chapter 17, how does Michael describe Hanna at her sentencing?
6. What decision does Michael struggle with at the beginning of Chapter 4, and why?
7. Describe what is said in the letter Michael receives from the prison warden.
8. In Chapter 16, why does Michael say he "finds it unendurable to do nothing"?
9. In Chapter 17, what is the atmosphere in the courtroom at the beginning of the sentencing?
10. What does the prison warden tell Michael about Hanna and her time in prison?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)