|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Larry's story about?
2. For what does Mr. Achilles marry his previous wife?
3. How does Maugham celebrate the completion of the rough draft of his novel?
4. To whho does Maugham compare Larry?
5. In what city does Gray want to set up his business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Maugham use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character, Larry, examine the way Maugham uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the following statement: "The Razor's Edge fails because it examines the effects of the First World War from too privileged a viewpoint." Using two examples from the book argue for or against the statement.
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters' goals? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)