|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sophie's new lover?
2. Why is Toulouse good for Sophie?
3. Who does Maugham meet at the play?
4. How many years have Gray and Isabel spent in Paris?
5. How does Maugham celebrate the completion of the rough draft of his novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
2. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
3. In what ways does the story end happily?
4. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
5. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
6. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
7. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
8. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
9. What is Isabel's terrible news?
10. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Maugham's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Maugham's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Maugham's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Mrs.Bradley and discuss how much you know about her background. In what ways does Maugham provide the reader with information about that character?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)