|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Suzanne's surname?
2. What does Ganesha's friend allow Larry to use?
3. Where does Larry stay during the spring?
4. Of what nationality is Edna?
5. Why is Maugham upset?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
2. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
3. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
4. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
5. What is Isabel's terrible news?
6. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
7. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
8. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
9. How does Suzanne become a successful artist?
10. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Bohemian life.
1)What are Bohemians? What are their ideas on life? From where do they get their ideas?
2) What influence have Bohemians had on popular culture?
3) Why is it important for Larry to live the Bohemian life? What do you think Larry will achieve by being a Bohemian?
Essay Topic 2
Review the history of the stock market in 1929. When and why was it set up? What effects did it have on the running of society? Why was it such a problem when the stock market crashed in 1929 and how did it affect peoples lives?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Maugham's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)