|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Larry due to marry?
2. In her note, what does Isabel say has happened?
3. What is the name of Sophie's new lover?
4. What does Ganesha's friend allow Larry to use?
5. Why does Isabel think Sophie's disappearance is for the best?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
2. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
3. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
4. In what ways does the story end happily?
5. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
6. What is Isabel's terrible news?
7. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
8. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
9. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
10. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Review the history of the stock market in 1929. When and why was it set up? What effects did it have on the running of society? Why was it such a problem when the stock market crashed in 1929 and how did it affect peoples lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The Razor's Edge foreshadows beat literature and Larry is an early example of an American beatnik." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Maugham use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)