|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
2. What does Maugham do while Isabel cries?
3. What is the name of Elliott's costume?
4. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
5. For what does Mr. Achilles marry his previous wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
2. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
3. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
4. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
5. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
6. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
7. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
8. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
9. In what ways does the story end happily?
10. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The Razor's Edge foreshadows beat literature and Larry is an early example of an American beatnik." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Maugham's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Mrs.Bradley and discuss how much you know about her background. In what ways does Maugham provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Maugham use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)