|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maugham think that Elliott cannot stop going to parties?
2. In what room in Edna's house does Maugham steal an invitation?
3. Where does Larry stay during the spring?
4. What does Elliott miss while he is bedridden?
5. What is the name of Elliott's costume?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
2. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
3. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
4. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
5. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
6. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
7. What does Elliott say in answer to Edna's invitation?
8. In what ways does the story end happily?
9. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
10. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Razor's Edge is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after The Razor's Edge that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1920's. How does Maugham express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters' goals? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)