|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hakim's?
2. Why does Isabel think Sophie's disappearance is for the best?
3. Why is Maugham upset?
4. Who does Maugham meet in Toulon?
5. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
2. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
3. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
4. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
5. What is Isabel's terrible news?
6. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
7. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
8. How does Suzanne become a successful artist?
9. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
10. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Review the history of the stock market in 1929. When and why was it set up? What effects did it have on the running of society? Why was it such a problem when the stock market crashed in 1929 and how did it affect peoples lives?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the problems Europe faced after the First World War. Did Europe change? How did this change affect America? Was this change reflected in the arts? Find an art movement after the First World War and examine what kind of thoughts and feelings it was trying to express. Are these thoughts also reflected in Maugham's the Razor's Edge?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The Razor's Edge foreshadows beat literature and Larry is an early example of an American beatnik." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)