|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Larry's story about?
2. What does Elliott say the U.S is becoming?
3. Of what nationality is Edna?
4. What does he order Elliott not to do?
5. What is Suzanne's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
2. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
3. How does Suzanne become a successful artist?
4. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
5. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
6. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
7. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
8. Why does Larry say he has had trouble believing in Christianity?
9. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
10. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is set mostly in Paris.
1) What meaning does Paris bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Paris?
2) How different do you think today's Paris is to the Paris in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Paris?
3) How do you think the Paris settings of the novel contributes to the novel's spiritual meaning?
Essay Topic 2
The Razor's Edge is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after The Razor's Edge that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters' goals? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)