|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maugham meet at the play?
2. In what room in Edna's house does Maugham steal an invitation?
3. What does Maugham do while Isabel cries?
4. To what city is Larry taking a ship?
5. In what country does Gray start looking for work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
2. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
3. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
4. In what ways does the story end happily?
5. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
6. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
7. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
8. What does Elliott say in answer to Edna's invitation?
9. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
10. How does Suzanne become a successful artist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Bohemian life.
1)What are Bohemians? What are their ideas on life? From where do they get their ideas?
2) What influence have Bohemians had on popular culture?
3) Why is it important for Larry to live the Bohemian life? What do you think Larry will achieve by being a Bohemian?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Maugham use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1920's.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the 1920's? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1920's America?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)