|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Larry got enough money to do?
2. What city in Spain does Larry visit?
3. Where does Maugham go to work on his novel?
4. Who stages the best party of the season?
5. In her note, what does Isabel say has happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
2. What does Elliott say in answer to Edna's invitation?
3. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
4. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
5. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
6. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
7. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
8. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
9. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
10. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The Razor's Edge foreshadows beat literature and Larry is an early example of an American beatnik." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Maugham use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Maugham's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)