|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ganesha say is the only guru?
2. Why does Isabel think Sophie's disappearance is for the best?
3. Why does Larry visit Seville?
4. Where does Elliott say he should have never left?
5. Who does Maugham call when it becomes clear that Elliott is near to death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Isabel's terrible news?
2. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
3. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
4. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
5. Why does Larry say he has had trouble believing in Christianity?
6. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
7. In what ways does the story end happily?
8. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
9. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
10. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1984, The Razor's Edge was made into a famous film noir film starring Bill Murray. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant forty years later? Do you think the ideas are timeless and universal? Why do you think, in the film, Larry went to Tibet and not India?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Bohemian life.
1)What are Bohemians? What are their ideas on life? From where do they get their ideas?
2) What influence have Bohemians had on popular culture?
3) Why is it important for Larry to live the Bohemian life? What do you think Larry will achieve by being a Bohemian?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Maugham's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)