|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maugham meet at the play?
2. What is the name of Ganesha's compound?
3. Who knocks on Maugham door at his house on the Riviera?
4. What does Isabel say she sacrificed?
5. Who does Maugham visit at the Riviera?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
2. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
3. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
4. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
5. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
6. Why does Larry say he has had trouble believing in Christianity?
7. In what ways does the story end happily?
8. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
9. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
10. What is Isabel's terrible news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The Razor's Edge foreshadows beat literature and Larry is an early example of an American beatnik." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Review the history of the stock market in 1929. When and why was it set up? What effects did it have on the running of society? Why was it such a problem when the stock market crashed in 1929 and how did it affect peoples lives?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the problems Europe faced after the First World War. Did Europe change? How did this change affect America? Was this change reflected in the arts? Find an art movement after the First World War and examine what kind of thoughts and feelings it was trying to express. Are these thoughts also reflected in Maugham's the Razor's Edge?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)