|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maugham compliment Isabel on to calm her down?
2. Where have the police found Sophie's body?
3. Who wants to borrow Elliot's costume?
4. Why does Maugham think that Elliott cannot stop going to parties?
5. What is Larry's story about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
2. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
3. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
4. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
5. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
6. How does Suzanne become a successful artist?
7. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
8. What does Elliott say in answer to Edna's invitation?
9. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
10. In what ways does the story end happily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1920's.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the 1920's? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1920's America?
Essay Topic 2
The Razor's Edge is part of the philosophical genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Razor's Edge genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Razor's Edge help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Razor's Edge?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Maugham use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)