|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lary's Yogi?
2. What does Elliott leave to Maugham in his will?
3. For what does Maugham say she sacrificed Larry?
4. What has Larry got enough money to do?
5. Of what nationality is Edna?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1920's.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the 1920's? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1920's America?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Paris.
1) What meaning does Paris bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Paris?
2) How different do you think today's Paris is to the Paris in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Paris?
3) How do you think the Paris settings of the novel contributes to the novel's spiritual meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The Razor's Edge foreshadows beat literature and Larry is an early example of an American beatnik." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)