|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Larry stay during the spring?
2. What does he order Elliott not to do?
3. Who does Maugham call when it becomes clear that Elliott is near to death?
4. What is Larry's story about?
5. What is the name of Ganesha's compound?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
2. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
3. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
4. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
5. How does Suzanne become a successful artist?
6. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
7. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
8. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
9. What is Isabel's terrible news?
10. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Maugham use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Maugham's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Indian culture. What influence has it had on America and the western world in terms of politics, arts and religion. Why would Larry go to India to find himself?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)