|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Larry's voice?
2. What does Elliott leave to Maugham in his will?
3. To whom does Elliott leave his house, his apartment, his paintings and his furniture?
4. Who does Maugham call when it becomes clear that Elliott is near to death?
5. Who iss Sophie supposed to meet the day she disappeares?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
2. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
3. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
4. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
5. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
6. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
7. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
8. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
9. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
10. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is set mostly in Paris.
1) What meaning does Paris bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Paris?
2) How different do you think today's Paris is to the Paris in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Paris?
3) How do you think the Paris settings of the novel contributes to the novel's spiritual meaning?
Essay Topic 2
The Razor's Edge is written in the first person and with the author himself as narrator. Why do you think Maugham chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person? What difference does it make it make to the story that Maugham is one of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Review the history of the stock market in 1929. When and why was it set up? What effects did it have on the running of society? Why was it such a problem when the stock market crashed in 1929 and how did it affect peoples lives?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)