Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city in Spain does Larry visit?
2. What does he order Elliott not to do?
3. What does Isabel say she sacrificed?
4. What is Hakim's?
5. Who does Ganesha say is the only guru?
The Razor's Edge is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after The Razor's Edge that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters' goals? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Maugham use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character, Larry, examine the way Maugham uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)