|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
2. Why does Isabel plant the vodka?
3. To whho does Maugham compare Larry?
4. Why is Toulouse good for Sophie?
5. Why is opium easier to get in Toulouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
2. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
3. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
4. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
5. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
6. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
7. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
8. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
9. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
10. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Maugham's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Examine Indian culture. What influence has it had on America and the western world in terms of politics, arts and religion. Why would Larry go to India to find himself?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set mostly in Paris.
1) What meaning does Paris bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Paris?
2) How different do you think today's Paris is to the Paris in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Paris?
3) How do you think the Paris settings of the novel contributes to the novel's spiritual meaning?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)