Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Bradley decline to visit her brother's new home?
2. Who can Isabel be introduced to in London?
3. At whose house does Eliott say they are having lunch?
4. Why does Elliott arrange for Larry to sit next to the Parisian woman?
5. Who says hello to Maugham in Cafe Du Dome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Larry tell the narrator about what he wants in the opening chapter?
2. Describe Gray Maturin
3. What is Elliot's plan at the beginning of the fourth chapter?
4. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
5. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
6. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
7. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
8. How is Larry when he meets Isabel and Gray in Chapter 7?
9. Describe Isabel's marriage and life with Gray.
10. Describe Elliott's life on the Riviera.
Essay Topic 1
Examine the following statement: "The Razor's Edge fails because it examines the effects of the First World War from too privileged a viewpoint." Using two examples from the book argue for or against the statement.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Maugham use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character, Larry, examine the way Maugham uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Maugham's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)