|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Maugham leaving for after his dinner with Elliott in Chicago?
2. For whom does Isabel admit that she has strong feelings?
3. Which two characters does Maugham examine in this chapter?
4. What reason does Larry give for being friends with Sophie?
5. Where does Isabel ask Maugham to take them on his last night in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Larry and Isobel's meeting in Chapter 3.
2. Describe Kosti.
3. What does Larry say about his time away?
4. What is Sophie's tragic story?
5. Describe Isabel's marriage and life with Gray.
6. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
7. What is Elliot's plan at the beginning of the fourth chapter?
8. What confirms to Isabel that she has made the correct choice in breaking off her engagement?
9. What were the author's reservations about writing the book?
10. What is Larry's opinion of Sophie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the following statement: "The Razor's Edge fails because it examines the effects of the First World War from too privileged a viewpoint." Using two examples from the book argue for or against the statement.
Essay Topic 2
The Razor's Edge is written in the first person and with the author himself as narrator. Why do you think Maugham chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person? What difference does it make it make to the story that Maugham is one of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The Razor's Edge foreshadows beat literature and Larry is an early example of an American beatnik." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)