Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Bradley decline to visit her brother's new home?
2. Who can Isabel be introduced to in London?
3. At whose house does Eliott say they are having lunch?
4. Why does Elliott arrange for Larry to sit next to the Parisian woman?
5. Who says hello to Maugham in Cafe Du Dome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Larry tell the narrator about what he wants in the opening chapter?
2. Describe Gray Maturin
3. What is Elliot's plan at the beginning of the fourth chapter?
4. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
5. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
6. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
7. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
8. How is Larry when he meets Isabel and Gray in Chapter 7?
9. Describe Isabel's marriage and life with Gray.
10. Describe Elliott's life on the Riviera.
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1920's. How does Maugham express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Maugham's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Mrs.Bradley and discuss how much you know about her background. In what ways does Maugham provide the reader with information about that character?
In 1984, The Razor's Edge was made into a famous film noir film starring Bill Murray. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant forty years later? Do you think the ideas are timeless and universal? Why do you think, in the film, Larry went to Tibet and not India?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)