|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Sophie's husband and daughter killed?
2. What is the reason the author states he is writing the story?
3. In what city does the narrator meet Elliott?
4. Who does the author sit next to at the dinner party?
5. Which character does Sophie sit next to at a dinner party twelve years before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Larry tell the narrator about what he wants in the opening chapter?
2. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
3. Describe Kosti.
4. Describe Gray Maturin
5. What is Larry's opinion of Sophie?
6. Describe Elliott
7. What happens to Kosti and Larry in Germany?
8. What is Elliot's plan at the beginning of the fourth chapter?
9. What does Maugham say he has changed about the real story?
10. What were the author's reservations about writing the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the following statement: "The Razor's Edge fails because it examines the effects of the First World War from too privileged a viewpoint." Using two examples from the book argue for or against the statement.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Bohemian life.
1)What are Bohemians? What are their ideas on life? From where do they get their ideas?
2) What influence have Bohemians had on popular culture?
3) Why is it important for Larry to live the Bohemian life? What do you think Larry will achieve by being a Bohemian?
Essay Topic 3
In 1984, The Razor's Edge was made into a famous film noir film starring Bill Murray. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant forty years later? Do you think the ideas are timeless and universal? Why do you think, in the film, Larry went to Tibet and not India?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)