|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator meet for lunch?
2. How much does Larry think that he and Isabel can live on per year?
3. What does Maugham say he does not trust?
4. Where does the narrator unexpectedly meet Larry?
5. From what is Gray suffering when he goes out to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gray Maturin
2. What were the author's reservations about writing the book?
3. Why does Larry want to go to Paris?
4. How do Gray and Isabel's appearances differ?
5. What happens to Kosti and Larry in Germany?
6. What is Sophie's tragic story?
7. How is Larry when he meets Isabel and Gray in Chapter 7?
8. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
9. What does Maugham say about a person's true nature in Chapter 3?
10. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Razor's Edge is written in the first person and with the author himself as narrator. Why do you think Maugham chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person? What difference does it make it make to the story that Maugham is one of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The Razor's Edge foreshadows beat literature and Larry is an early example of an American beatnik." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Bohemian life.
1)What are Bohemians? What are their ideas on life? From where do they get their ideas?
2) What influence have Bohemians had on popular culture?
3) Why is it important for Larry to live the Bohemian life? What do you think Larry will achieve by being a Bohemian?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)