|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Maugham and Elliot meet the Bradleys for dinner?
2. What is the name of the man Sophie marries?
3. In what month of the year do Gray and Isabel get married?
4. What does Larry say will happen when he counts to 24?
5. What reason does Larry give for being friends with Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Isabel's marriage and life with Gray.
2. In what ways does the story end happily?
3. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
4. Describe Isabal's plan to win back Larry in Paris in Chapter 4.
5. Describe Suzanne's life in Paris.
6. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
7. What does Elliott say in answer to Edna's invitation?
8. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
9. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
10. What is Larry's opinion of Sophie?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Maugham use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character, Larry, examine the way Maugham uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Bohemian life.
1)What are Bohemians? What are their ideas on life? From where do they get their ideas?
2) What influence have Bohemians had on popular culture?
3) Why is it important for Larry to live the Bohemian life? What do you think Larry will achieve by being a Bohemian?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Maugham use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 1,725 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)