|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Sophie to Paris?
2. Where does Maugham look for Larry?
3. What is the reason the author states he is writing the story?
4. Who does Isabel marry?
5. With which condition has Mrs. Bradley bee diagnosed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Larry say about his time away?
2. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
3. What is Larry's opinion of Sophie?
4. How does the stock market crash affect the main characters?
5. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
6. Describe Elliott
7. What are Isabel's thoughts on love?
8. What does Maugham say he has changed about the real story?
9. Why does Isabel become so lustful in the car?
10. Describe the point of view Maugham uses.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1920's. How does Maugham express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1920's.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the 1920's? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1920's America?
Essay Topic 3
The Razor's Edge is written in the first person and with the author himself as narrator. Why do you think Maugham chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person? What difference does it make it make to the story that Maugham is one of the characters?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)