|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Larry say will happen when he counts to 24?
2. How much money did Larry give Suzanne?
3. With whom is Gray in love?
4. From where does Larry get the $3,000?
5. Elliott arrange for Larry to sit next to _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Larry tell the narrator about what he wants in the opening chapter?
2. How do things change for Elliott in Chapter 6?
3. Describe Suzanne's life in Paris.
4. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
5. Describe Larry and Isobel's meeting in Chapter 3.
6. Describe Isabal's plan to win back Larry in Paris in Chapter 4.
7. What does Larry say about his time away?
8. Describe Isabel's marriage and life with Gray.
9. What do the adults say about Larry's future?
10. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1920's. How does Maugham express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Maugham's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Mrs.Bradley and discuss how much you know about her background. In what ways does Maugham provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the following statement: "The Razor's Edge fails because it examines the effects of the First World War from too privileged a viewpoint." Using two examples from the book argue for or against the statement.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)