|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Elliott move to the French Riviera?
2. How are Sophie's husband and daughter killed?
3. How old is Elliott?
4. What does Isabel presume Larry still is?
5. What character does Maugham reintroduce in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Larry and Isobel's meeting in Chapter 3.
2. Describe Isabel's marriage and life with Gray.
3. What is Sophie's tragic story?
4. How is Larry when he meets Isabel and Gray in Chapter 7?
5. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
6. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
7. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
8. What is Maugham's opinion of Larry?
9. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
10. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Maugham's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Mrs.Bradley and discuss how much you know about her background. In what ways does Maugham provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1920's.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the 1920's? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3)Does modern society share any values with 1920's America?
Essay Topic 3
In 1984, The Razor's Edge was made into a famous film noir film starring Bill Murray. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant forty years later? Do you think the ideas are timeless and universal? Why do you think, in the film, Larry went to Tibet and not India?
This section contains 1,782 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)