Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Bradley decline to visit her brother's new home?
2. Who can Isabel be introduced to in London?
3. At whose house does Eliott say they are having lunch?
4. Why does Elliott arrange for Larry to sit next to the Parisian woman?
5. Who says hello to Maugham in Cafe Du Dome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Larry tell the narrator about what he wants in the opening chapter?
2. Describe Gray Maturin
3. What is Elliot's plan at the beginning of the fourth chapter?
4. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
5. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
6. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
7. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
8. How is Larry when he meets Isabel and Gray in Chapter 7?
9. Describe Isabel's marriage and life with Gray.
10. Describe Elliott's life on the Riviera.
Essay Topic 1
Examine Indian culture. What influence has it had on America and the western world in terms of politics, arts and religion. Why would Larry go to India to find himself?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Maugham's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Maugham use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)