|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Larry say Sophie used to do when she was younger?
2. How old is Elliott?
3. Henry Maturin dies of ___________.
4. What does Larry find out that Kosti has studied?
5. How old is Suzanne when she moves to Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Isabal's plan to win back Larry in Paris in Chapter 4.
2. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
3. How does the stock market crash affect the main characters?
4. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
5. Describe the point of view Maugham uses.
6. What does Maugham say he has changed about the real story?
7. What is Sophie's tragic story?
8. Why does Isabel become so lustful in the car?
9. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
10. What does Larry say about his time away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1984, The Razor's Edge was made into a famous film noir film starring Bill Murray. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant forty years later? Do you think the ideas are timeless and universal? Why do you think, in the film, Larry went to Tibet and not India?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Bohemian life.
1)What are Bohemians? What are their ideas on life? From where do they get their ideas?
2) What influence have Bohemians had on popular culture?
3) Why is it important for Larry to live the Bohemian life? What do you think Larry will achieve by being a Bohemian?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Indian culture. What influence has it had on America and the western world in terms of politics, arts and religion. Why would Larry go to India to find himself?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)