|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gray is made a partner in ______________.
2. When does Maugham say the stock market crashes?
3. For whom does Isabel admit that she has strong feelings?
4. Which of the following characters is a renowned decorator?
5. Who says hello to Maugham in Cafe Du Dome?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
2. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
3. How does the stock market crash affect the main characters?
4. What were the author's reservations about writing the book?
5. What do the adults say about Larry's future?
6. Why does Larry want to go to Paris?
7. Describe Gray Maturin
8. Describe Elliott's life on the Riviera.
9. Describe Suzanne's life in Paris.
10. How is Larry when he meets Isabel and Gray in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Maugham use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the following statement: "The Razor's Edge fails because it examines the effects of the First World War from too privileged a viewpoint." Using two examples from the book argue for or against the statement.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the problems Europe faced after the First World War. Did Europe change? How did this change affect America? Was this change reflected in the arts? Find an art movement after the First World War and examine what kind of thoughts and feelings it was trying to express. Are these thoughts also reflected in Maugham's the Razor's Edge?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)