|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elliott tell Mrs. Bradley lives in London?
2. In what city does Larry buy a new suit?
3. About shat does Larry say he is trying to find answers?
4. How often does Sophie say she is at the cafe?
5. What does Maugham say he does not trust?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maugham say he has changed about the real story?
2. Describe Isabel's marriage and life with Gray.
3. How do Gray and Isabel's appearances differ?
4. Describe Larry and Isobel's meeting in Chapter 3.
5. Describe Elliott's life on the Riviera.
6. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
7. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
8. Describe Kosti.
9. Describe Gray Maturin
10. Describe Isabal's plan to win back Larry in Paris in Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Maugham's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
In 1984, The Razor's Edge was made into a famous film noir film starring Bill Murray. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant forty years later? Do you think the ideas are timeless and universal? Why do you think, in the film, Larry went to Tibet and not India?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Maugham's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Mrs.Bradley and discuss how much you know about her background. In what ways does Maugham provide the reader with information about that character?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)