|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Larry say Sophie used to do when she was younger?
2. In what area of France is Lens located?
3. Who can Isabel be introduced to in London?
4. Who sends Sophie to Paris?
5. By whos is Gray and Isabel's house decorated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the four main characters in Rue de Lappe?
2. What does Maugham say about a person's true nature in Chapter 3?
3. What are Isabel's thoughts on love?
4. Describe Elliott's life on the Riviera.
5. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
6. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
7. Describe Larry and Isobel's meeting in Chapter 3.
8. Describe Suzanne's life in Paris.
9. Why does Larry leave Paris?
10. Describe Isabel's marriage and life with Gray.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Maugham's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
In 1984, The Razor's Edge was made into a famous film noir film starring Bill Murray. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant forty years later? Do you think the ideas are timeless and universal? Why do you think, in the film, Larry went to Tibet and not India?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters' goals? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)