|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry Maturin dies of ___________.
2. What two things does the author state he has changed in the book?
3. How many years has it been since Maugham last saw Isabel?
4. Who says hello to Maugham in Cafe Du Dome?
5. For how long does Larry want to go to Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elliott say in answer to Edna's invitation?
2. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
3. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
4. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
5. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
6. What has happened to Elliott in Chapter 7?
7. Why does Isabel become so lustful in the car?
8. How does the stock market crash affect the main characters?
9. Describe Kosti.
10. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
Essay Topic 1
The Razor's Edge is part of the philosophical genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Razor's Edge genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Razor's Edge help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Razor's Edge?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Bohemian life.
1)What are Bohemians? What are their ideas on life? From where do they get their ideas?
2) What influence have Bohemians had on popular culture?
3) Why is it important for Larry to live the Bohemian life? What do you think Larry will achieve by being a Bohemian?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Maugham use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 1,690 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)