|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character identifies the narrator as Maugham?
2. By whos is Gray and Isabel's house decorated?
3. Where does Maugham look for Larry?
4. With whom does Suzanne move to Paris?
5. Which character develops a plan to help Isabel forget about Larry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Gray and Isabel's appearances differ?
2. Describe Gray Maturin
3. Why does Isabel become so lustful in the car?
4. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
5. What is Elliot's plan at the beginning of the fourth chapter?
6. Describe Suzanne's life in Paris.
7. Describe Elliott
8. Describe the point of view Maugham uses.
9. Describe Larry and Isobel's meeting in Chapter 3.
10. Describe Isabel's marriage and life with Gray.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Bohemian life.
1)What are Bohemians? What are their ideas on life? From where do they get their ideas?
2) What influence have Bohemians had on popular culture?
3) Why is it important for Larry to live the Bohemian life? What do you think Larry will achieve by being a Bohemian?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Maugham's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Examine Indian culture. What influence has it had on America and the western world in terms of politics, arts and religion. Why would Larry go to India to find himself?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)