Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Bradley decline to visit her brother's new home?
2. Who can Isabel be introduced to in London?
3. At whose house does Eliott say they are having lunch?
4. Why does Elliott arrange for Larry to sit next to the Parisian woman?
5. Who says hello to Maugham in Cafe Du Dome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Larry tell the narrator about what he wants in the opening chapter?
2. Describe Gray Maturin
3. What is Elliot's plan at the beginning of the fourth chapter?
4. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
5. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
6. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
7. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
8. How is Larry when he meets Isabel and Gray in Chapter 7?
9. Describe Isabel's marriage and life with Gray.
10. Describe Elliott's life on the Riviera.
Essay Topic 1
In 1984, The Razor's Edge was made into a famous film noir film starring Bill Murray. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant forty years later? Do you think the ideas are timeless and universal? Why do you think, in the film, Larry went to Tibet and not India?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Larry and Sophie.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Maugham's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)