|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Elliott?
2. In what state does Gray have a plantation?
3. Which two characters does Maugham examine in this chapter?
4. Where is Maugham leaving for after his dinner with Elliott in Chicago?
5. From which country does Kosti come?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Larry and Isobel's meeting in Chapter 3.
2. Why does Larry leave Paris?
3. Describe the point of view Maugham uses.
4. What are Isabel's thoughts on love?
5. How is Larry when he meets Isabel and Gray in Chapter 7?
6. What has happened to Elliott in Chapter 7?
7. What is Maugham's opinion of Larry?
8. Describe Kosti.
9. Describe Isabal's plan to win back Larry in Paris in Chapter 4.
10. Why does Larry want to go to Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Razor's Edge is part of the philosophical genre.
1) What are the conventions of the The Razor's Edge genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did The Razor's Edge help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in The Razor's Edge?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the following statement: "The Razor's Edge fails because it examines the effects of the First World War from too privileged a viewpoint." Using two examples from the book argue for or against the statement.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1920's. How does Maugham express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)