|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is a renowned decorator?
2. In which city are Isabel and her family living?
3. Gray is made a partner in ______________.
4. What does Larry say he spends time doing?
5. Which of the characters gives Elliott investment advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maugham say about a person's true nature in Chapter 3?
2. What is Sophie's tragic story?
3. What has happened to Elliott in Chapter 7?
4. Describe Suzanne's time with Larry in the country.
5. What does Larry say about his time away?
6. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
7. What does Maugham say he has changed about the real story?
8. Describe Isabel's marriage and life with Gray.
9. Describe Gray Maturin
10. What does Larry tell the narrator about what he wants in the opening chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters' goals? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1920's. How does Maugham express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the problems Europe faced after the First World War. Did Europe change? How did this change affect America? Was this change reflected in the arts? Find an art movement after the First World War and examine what kind of thoughts and feelings it was trying to express. Are these thoughts also reflected in Maugham's the Razor's Edge?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)