|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elliott arrange for Larry to sit next to the Parisian woman?
2. Which part of Larry's body does Isabel stare at in this chapter?
3. Why does Mrs. Bradley decline to visit her brother's new home?
4. What do the characters think has changed Larry?
5. Who does Isabel marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Maugham's opinion of Larry?
2. Why does Larry leave Paris?
3. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
4. Describe Suzanne's time with Larry in the country.
5. Describe Elliott's life on the Riviera.
6. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
7. What does Larry tell the narrator about what he wants in the opening chapter?
8. Describe Kosti.
9. What is Elliot's plan at the beginning of the fourth chapter?
10. Describe Suzanne's life in Paris.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Maugham's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters' goals? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Indian culture. What influence has it had on America and the western world in terms of politics, arts and religion. Why would Larry go to India to find himself?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)