|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cafe does Maugham go to in this chapter?
2. In which city are Isabel and her family living?
3. What does the author admit is part of his problem in writing the novel?
4. What is the name of the coaling town where Larry goes?
5. Why does Larry state he leaves Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Suzanne's time with Larry in the country.
2. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
3. What has happened to Elliott in Chapter 7?
4. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
5. What does Larry say about his time away?
6. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
7. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
8. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
9. Describe Kosti.
10. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Review the history of the stock market in 1929. When and why was it set up? What effects did it have on the running of society? Why was it such a problem when the stock market crashed in 1929 and how did it affect peoples lives?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Paris.
1) What meaning does Paris bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Paris?
2) How different do you think today's Paris is to the Paris in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Paris?
3) How do you think the Paris settings of the novel contributes to the novel's spiritual meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Maugham's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
This section contains 1,802 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)