|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does this chapter take place?
2. Henry Maturin dies of ___________.
3. Who can Isabel be introduced to in London?
4. How old is Suzanne when she moves to Paris?
5. What is the name of the coaling town where Larry goes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Elliott
2. Describe Gray Maturin
3. What is Sophie's tragic story?
4. How do things change for Elliott in Chapter 6?
5. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
6. In what ways does the story end happily?
7. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
8. Why does Larry say he has had trouble believing in Christianity?
9. Describe Suzanne's life in Paris.
10. Describe Isabal's plan to win back Larry in Paris in Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters' goals? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Bohemian life.
1)What are Bohemians? What are their ideas on life? From where do they get their ideas?
2) What influence have Bohemians had on popular culture?
3) Why is it important for Larry to live the Bohemian life? What do you think Larry will achieve by being a Bohemian?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the problems Europe faced after the First World War. Did Europe change? How did this change affect America? Was this change reflected in the arts? Find an art movement after the First World War and examine what kind of thoughts and feelings it was trying to express. Are these thoughts also reflected in Maugham's the Razor's Edge?
This section contains 1,764 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)