|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By whos is Gray and Isabel's house decorated?
2. Who does Elliott tell Mrs. Bradley lives in London?
3. About shat does Larry say he is trying to find answers?
4. Who does the narrator meet for lunch?
5. What is Larry's excuse for not eating lunch with Elliott?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the adults say about Larry's future?
2. What is Elliot's plan at the beginning of the fourth chapter?
3. Why does Larry want to go to Paris?
4. How do things change for Elliott in Chapter 6?
5. What happens to Kosti and Larry in Germany?
6. Why does Isabel become so lustful in the car?
7. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
8. What are Isabel's thoughts on love?
9. What is Sophie's tragic story?
10. What has happened to Elliott in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The Razor's Edge foreshadows beat literature and Larry is an early example of an American beatnik." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the following statement: "The Razor's Edge fails because it examines the effects of the First World War from too privileged a viewpoint." Using two examples from the book argue for or against the statement.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Bohemian life.
1)What are Bohemians? What are their ideas on life? From where do they get their ideas?
2) What influence have Bohemians had on popular culture?
3) Why is it important for Larry to live the Bohemian life? What do you think Larry will achieve by being a Bohemian?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)