|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of Larry's body does Isabel stare at in this chapter?
2. What does Larry find out that Kosti has studied?
3. What is Suzanne suffering from when she meets Larry for the first time?
4. What is the name of Suzanne's daughter?
5. Which two characters does Maugham examine in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sophie's tragic story?
2. Describe Kosti.
3. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
4. Describe Larry and Isobel's meeting in Chapter 3.
5. How does the stock market crash affect the main characters?
6. Describe Elliott's life on the Riviera.
7. What does Maugham say he has changed about the real story?
8. What has happened to Elliott in Chapter 7?
9. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
10. What is Larry's opinion of Sophie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Review the history of the stock market in 1929. When and why was it set up? What effects did it have on the running of society? Why was it such a problem when the stock market crashed in 1929 and how did it affect peoples lives?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Maugham's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set mostly in Paris.
1) What meaning does Paris bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Paris?
2) How different do you think today's Paris is to the Paris in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Paris?
3) How do you think the Paris settings of the novel contributes to the novel's spiritual meaning?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)