|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elliott refuse to lend Paul his costume?
(a) He is careless
(b) He is a hopeless gossip
(c) He is crass
(d) He has no morals
2. What does he order Elliott not to do?
(a) Drink coffee
(c) Leave his romm
(d) Get cold
3. Where does Larry go when he leaves the village?
4. Why is opium easier to get in Toulouse?
(a) It is grown there.
(b) It is cheaper.
(c) There are lots of Chinese people.
(d) It has a port.
5. Who knocks on Maugham door at his house on the Riviera?
(a) The police
(b) The FBI
(d) His brother
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Larry's story about?
2. What does Elliott miss while he is bedridden?
3. What does Elliott say the U.S is becoming?
4. What is Suzanne's surname?
5. Why does Maugham say Isabel kills Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
2. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
3. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
4. What does Elliott say in answer to Edna's invitation?
5. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
6. Why does Larry say he has had trouble believing in Christianity?
7. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
8. How does Suzanne become a successful artist?
9. In what ways does the story end happily?
10. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)