|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Larry got enough money to do?
(a) Pay for Sophie's burial
(b) Go home
(c) Buy lunch
(d) Pay his rent
2. Who comes instead of the local bishop?
(a) The president
(b) The bishop
(c) The pope
(d) The cardinal
3. For what does Mr. Achilles marry his previous wife?
4. What play does Maugham go to see in this chapter?
(b) The Caretaker
(d) Death of a Salesman
5. Why does Isabel think Sophie's disappearance is for the best?
(a) Larry did notlove her.
(b) She needs to be free.
(c) She would oppress Larry.
(d) She is not a nice person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
2. To whho does Maugham compare Larry?
3. Who is Larry due to marry?
4. What is the name of Elliott's costume?
5. To whom does Elliott leave his house, his apartment, his paintings and his furniture?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
2. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
3. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
4. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
5. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
6. Why does Larry say he has had trouble believing in Christianity?
7. What does Elliott say in answer to Edna's invitation?
8. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
9. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
10. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)