|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Elliott's costume?
(a) A Count de Lauria
(b) A Duke de Lauria
(c) A Prince de Lauria
(d) A Lord de Lauria
2. Who wants to borrow Elliot's costume?
(a) Jose Payno
(b) Larry Sinclair
(c) Paul Barton
(d) Davis Love
3. What is Hakim's?
(a) An opium parlor
(b) A brothel
(c) A disco
(d) A cafe
4. What does Elliott say the U.S is becoming?
(a) Blue collar
(c) Middle class
(d) A communist state
5. Who does Maugham call when it becomes clear that Elliott is near to death?
(a) The local priest
(b) The local bishop
(c) His sister
(d) The doctor
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maugham meet at the police station?
2. In what country does Gray start looking for work?
3. How many years have Gray and Isabel spent in Paris?
4. What is the name of Lary's Yogi?
5. How many days after Isabel's meeting with Maugham does she invite Larry and Sophie for lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
2. What does Elliott say in answer to Edna's invitation?
3. How does Suzanne become a successful artist?
4. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
5. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
6. What is Isabel's terrible news?
7. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
8. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
9. In what ways does the story end happily?
10. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)