|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Maugham say she sacrificed Larry?
(b) A diamond ring and a mink coat
(c) Two point four children
2. How do the police connect Maugham to Sophie?
(a) They find his book in her room.
(b) They find a letter.
(c) She speaks his name.
(d) They read her diary.
3. Why is Maugham upset?
(a) He has forgotten his note book.
(b) He cannot tell the story in Larry's voice.
(c) He cannot go back to Seville.
(d) He has lost his pen.
4. Who stages the best party of the season?
(a) Count de Lauria
(b) The Prince of Wales
(c) Edna Novemali
(d) Helena Karabcova
5. Why is opium easier to get in Toulouse?
(a) There are lots of Chinese people.
(b) It is cheaper.
(c) It has a port.
(d) It is grown there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lary's Yogi?
2. What does Mr Achilles want Suzanne to have before he brings her back to his town?
3. Who wants to borrow Elliot's costume?
4. What does Elliott leave to Maugham in his will?
5. In what country does Gray start looking for work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
2. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
3. What is Isabel's terrible news?
4. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
5. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
6. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
7. How does Suzanne become a successful artist?
8. In what ways does the story end happily?
9. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
10. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)