|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whho does Maugham compare Larry?
(a) Jesus Christ
(c) Knut Hamsun
2. Who comes instead of the local bishop?
(a) The president
(b) The cardinal
(c) The pope
(d) The bishop
3. Where does Larry stay during the spring?
(c) A French village
(d) An Indian village
4. What does Maugham think that Sophie is going through?
(a) Self hate
(b) A transition
5. How many weeks later does Maugham meet Elliott in London?
(a) Four weeks
(b) One week
(c) Two weeks
(d) Three weeks
Short Answer Questions
1. Who iss Sophie supposed to meet the day she disappeares?
2. What does he order Elliott not to do?
3. What has Larry got enough money to do?
4. Who stages the best party of the season?
5. What does Elliott miss while he is bedridden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elliott say in answer to Edna's invitation?
2. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
3. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
4. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
5. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
6. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
7. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
8. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
9. In what ways does the story end happily?
10. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)