|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where have the police found Sophie's body?
(a) In the lake
(b) In the harbor
(c) In the bar toilets
(d) In a factory
2. Where does Elliott say he should have never left?
3. How does Maugham celebrate the completion of the rough draft of his novel?
(a) He goes to a party.
(b) He sails up the coast.
(c) He arranges a party.
(d) He travels to India.
4. What does Maugham compliment Isabel on to calm her down?
(a) Her fashion sense
(b) Her looks
(c) Her shoes
(d) Her intelligence
5. In her note, what does Isabel say has happened?
(a) Something unbelievable
(b) Someting very funny
(c) Something terrible
(d) Something strange
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Maugham say she sacrificed Larry?
2. Why does Elliott refuse to lend Paul his costume?
3. Who wants to borrow Elliot's costume?
4. To what city is Larry taking a ship?
5. What does Elliott miss while he is bedridden?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
2. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
3. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
4. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
5. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
6. Why does Larry say he has had trouble believing in Christianity?
7. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
8. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
9. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
10. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)