|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maugham think that Elliott cannot stop going to parties?
(a) He is a drug addict.
(b) He needs to be loved.
(c) He is afraid of not being important.
(d) He needs people around him.
2. In what room in Edna's house does Maugham steal an invitation?
(a) The bathroom
(b) The games room
(c) The secretary's room
(d) The dining room
3. What has Larry got enough money to do?
(a) Go home
(b) Pay for Sophie's burial
(c) Buy lunch
(d) Pay his rent
4. For what does Maugham apologize to the reader?
(a) The novel's seriousness
(b) The melodrama
(c) Not having a happy ending
(d) His poor writing style
5. What does Isabel say she sacrificed?
(b) Her life
(d) Her mother
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maugham visit at the Riviera?
2. How many years have Gray and Isabel spent in Paris?
3. Why is opium easier to get in Toulouse?
4. Why does Isabel plant the vodka?
5. What does Suzanne have in her mouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
2. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
3. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
4. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
5. Why does Larry say he has had trouble believing in Christianity?
6. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
7. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
8. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
9. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
10. What is Isabel's terrible news?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)