|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Suzanne's surname?
2. Which word best describes Larry's voice?
(a) High pitched
3. During what time of year does Maugham go to the Riviera?
4. Why is Toulouse good for Sophie?
(a) The air is fresh.
(b) There is easy access to opium.
(c) There are lots of bars.
(d) It is more relaxed.
5. In her note, what does Isabel say has happened?
(a) Something unbelievable
(b) Someting very funny
(c) Something strange
(d) Something terrible
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Larry visit Seville?
2. Who is Larry due to marry?
3. What is the name of Ganesha's compound?
4. What kind of business does Gray want to start?
5. In what city does Gray want to set up his business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
2. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
3. Why does Larry say he has had trouble believing in Christianity?
4. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
5. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
6. In what ways does the story end happily?
7. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
8. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
9. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
10. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)