|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country does Gray start looking for work?
2. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
3. Who does Maugham meet in Toulon?
4. Of what nationality is Edna?
5. What does he order Elliott not to do?
(a) Drink coffee
(b) Get cold
(d) Leave his romm
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Larry's story about?
2. What does Elliott miss while he is bedridden?
3. For what does Maugham apologize to the reader?
4. What is the name of Elliott's manservant?
5. Who does Maugham visit at the Riviera?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
2. What is Isabel's terrible news?
3. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
4. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
5. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
6. Why does Larry say he has had trouble believing in Christianity?
7. How does Suzanne become a successful artist?
8. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
9. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
10. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)