|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Ganesha's compound?
2. What does Mr Achilles want Suzanne to have before he brings her back to his town?
(a) A child
(b) A scholarship
(c) A good reputation
(d) A sense of humor
3. Who knocks on Maugham door at his house on the Riviera?
(a) The police
(c) The FBI
(d) His brother
4. What does Ganesha's friend allow Larry to use?
(a) His bugalow
(b) His jeep
(c) His gun
(d) His binoculars
5. Who stages the best party of the season?
(a) Count de Lauria
(b) Edna Novemali
(c) The Prince of Wales
(d) Helena Karabcova
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maugham think that Sophie is going through?
2. In her note, what does Isabel say has happened?
3. What play does Maugham go to see in this chapter?
4. Why does Maugham think that Elliott cannot stop going to parties?
5. What does Suzanne have in her mouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elliott say in answer to Edna's invitation?
2. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
3. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
4. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
5. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
6. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
7. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
8. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
9. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
10. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)