|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Lary's Yogi?
(a) Fred Barnes
(b) Shri Ganesha
(c) Benvali Gulliva
(d) Sindod Farresh
2. Where have the police found Sophie's body?
(a) In the lake
(b) In the harbor
(c) In a factory
(d) In the bar toilets
3. Where does Elliott say he should have never left?
4. What is the name of Sophie's new lover?
(a) Mr. Arcade
(b) Mr. Achilles
(c) Mr. Jones
(d) Mr. Janus
5. What is Suzanne's surname?
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Larry got enough money to do?
2. For what does Maugham say she sacrificed Larry?
3. Which word best describes Larry's voice?
4. What is Hakim's?
5. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
2. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
3. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
4. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
5. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
6. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
7. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
8. How does Suzanne become a successful artist?
9. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
10. Why does Larry say he has had trouble believing in Christianity?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)