|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
(a) There is a happy ending.
(b) He made himself look bad.
(c) He liked everyone.
(d) His characters were inconsistent.
2. What does Suzanne have in her mouth?
(a) A tooth brush
(b) A bone
(c) A paintbrush
(d) A tooth pick
3. Why does Maugham say Isabel kills Sophie?
(a) She plantsthe vodka.
(b) He wants to frighten her.
(c) She has a motive.
(d) She is seen at the harbor.
4. Why does Isabel plant the vodka?
(a) Sophie criticizes her
(b) She wants to marry Larry.
(c) She is interested in what Sophie would do.
(d) She would have made Larry miserable.
5. To whho does Maugham compare Larry?
(b) Jesus Christ
(c) Knut Hamsun
Short Answer Questions
1. Who iss Sophie supposed to meet the day she disappeares?
2. In what room in Edna's house does Maugham steal an invitation?
3. What does Ganesha's friend allow Larry to use?
4. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
5. How many years have Gray and Isabel spent in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
2. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
3. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
4. What does Elliott say in answer to Edna's invitation?
5. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
6. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
7. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
8. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
9. Why does Larry say he has had trouble believing in Christianity?
10. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)