|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie say she drinks in Isabel's apartment?
(a) Russian vodka
(b) Scottish whiskey
(c) London gin
(d) Polish vodka
2. What is Larry's story about?
(a) How he got back to Paris.
(b) How he met Suzanne.
(c) How he found love.
(d) How he became a writer.
3. What does Suzanne have in her mouth?
(a) A tooth brush
(b) A tooth pick
(c) A bone
(d) A paintbrush
4. In what country does Gray start looking for work?
5. How do the police connect Maugham to Sophie?
(a) They find his book in her room.
(b) They read her diary.
(c) She speaks his name.
(d) They find a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maugham think that Elliott cannot stop going to parties?
2. What does Mr Achilles want Suzanne to have before he brings her back to his town?
3. For what does Maugham apologize to the reader?
4. Why is Maugham upset?
5. Who is Larry due to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
2. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
3. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
4. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
5. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
6. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
7. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
8. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
9. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
10. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)