|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who knocks on Maugham door at his house on the Riviera?
(b) The FBI
(c) The police
(d) His brother
2. For what does Mr. Achilles marry his previous wife?
3. Who does Maugham meet at the police station?
4. Where does Larry stay during the spring?
(b) An Indian village
(c) A French village
5. Where have the police found Sophie's body?
(a) In a factory
(b) In the bar toilets
(c) In the lake
(d) In the harbor
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he order Elliott not to do?
2. What does Elliott say the U.S is becoming?
3. Who does Maugham visit at the Riviera?
4. Who wants to borrow Elliot's costume?
5. What is Larry's story about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
2. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
3. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
4. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
5. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
6. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
7. How does Suzanne become a successful artist?
8. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
9. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
10. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)