|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maugham say Isabel kills Sophie?
(a) He wants to frighten her.
(b) She is seen at the harbor.
(c) She plantsthe vodka.
(d) She has a motive.
2. Who wants to borrow Elliot's costume?
(a) Jose Payno
(b) Davis Love
(c) Larry Sinclair
(d) Paul Barton
3. How many days after Isabel's meeting with Maugham does she invite Larry and Sophie for lunch?
(a) Four days
(b) Six days
(c) Three days
(d) Two days
4. What does Maugham think that Sophie is going through?
(b) A transition
(d) Self hate
5. Why does Larry visit Seville?
(a) To find a wife
(b) To find his mother
(c) To learn about art
(d) To learn about religion
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Suzanne's surname?
2. How many years have Gray and Isabel spent in Paris?
3. What kind of business does Gray want to start?
4. What is the name of Elliott's manservant?
5. What is Larry's story about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
2. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
3. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
4. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
5. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
6. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
7. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
8. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
9. Why does Larry say he has had trouble believing in Christianity?
10. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)