|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maugham do while Isabel cries?
(a) Goes into the garden
(d) Hugs her
2. Who comes instead of the local bishop?
(a) The cardinal
(b) The president
(c) The pope
(d) The bishop
3. In what city does Gray want to set up his business?
(a) New Mexico
4. What does Elliott miss while he is bedridden?
(a) Eating out
(d) His family
5. In what country does Gray start looking for work?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ganesha say is the only guru?
2. How many days after Isabel's meeting with Maugham does she invite Larry and Sophie for lunch?
3. Why does Elliott refuse to lend Paul his costume?
4. Of what nationality is Edna?
5. To whho does Maugham compare Larry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
2. Why does Isabel leave the vodka to tempt Sophie?
3. What is Isabel's terrible news?
4. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
5. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
6. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
7. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
8. What does Elliot leave to the main characters in his will?
9. In what ways does the story end happily?
10. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)