|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr Achilles want Suzanne to have before he brings her back to his town?
(a) A good reputation
(b) A scholarship
(c) A sense of humor
(d) A child
2. Why is Maugham upset?
(a) He has lost his pen.
(b) He has forgotten his note book.
(c) He cannot go back to Seville.
(d) He cannot tell the story in Larry's voice.
3. What is the name of Sophie's new lover?
(a) Mr. Jones
(b) Mr. Janus
(c) Mr. Arcade
(d) Mr. Achilles
4. How does Sophie get to Toulouse?
(a) By train
(c) Hire car
5. What kind of business does Gray want to start?
(a) An oil business
(b) A bomb factory
(c) A silver mine
(d) A cleaning business
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maugham go to work on his novel?
2. What is Larry's story about?
3. Where does Larry stay during the spring?
4. What does Elliott miss while he is bedridden?
5. Who does Maugham meet at the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
2. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
3. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
4. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
5. What does Elliott say in answer to Edna's invitation?
6. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
7. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
8. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
9. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
10. What is Isabel's terrible news?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)