|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maugham celebrate the completion of the rough draft of his novel?
(a) He goes to a party.
(b) He sails up the coast.
(c) He travels to India.
(d) He arranges a party.
2. Who does Maugham meet in Toulon?
3. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
(a) He liked everyone.
(b) His characters were inconsistent.
(c) He made himself look bad.
(d) There is a happy ending.
4. Where does Elliott say he should have never left?
5. Which word best describes Larry's voice?
(d) High pitched
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Elliott's manservant?
2. Where does Maugham go to work on his novel?
3. What is the name of Ganesha's compound?
4. Who does Maugham call when it becomes clear that Elliott is near to death?
5. What play does Maugham go to see in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Isabel's terrible news?
2. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
3. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
4. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
5. In what way does Maugham criticize the church?
6. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
7. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
8. In what ways does the story end happily?
9. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
10. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)