|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city in Spain does Larry visit?
2. What is Hakim's?
(a) A disco
(b) An opium parlor
(c) A cafe
(d) A brothel
3. What is the name of Sophie's new lover?
(a) Mr. Achilles
(b) Mr. Jones
(c) Mr. Janus
(d) Mr. Arcade
4. Who does Maugham call when it becomes clear that Elliott is near to death?
(a) The local priest
(b) The local bishop
(c) His sister
(d) The doctor
5. Where does Larry stay during the spring?
(a) An Indian village
(b) A French village
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie say she drinks in Isabel's apartment?
2. Where does Maugham go to work on his novel?
3. How many years have Gray and Isabel spent in Paris?
4. Why does Isabel plant the vodka?
5. In what country does Gray start looking for work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
2. What is the story of Sophie's disappearance?
3. What reasons does Larry give for wanting to marry Sophie?
4. How does the reader know that Isabel is still in love with Larry?
5. Do you think there is anything suspicious about the incident with the vodka?
6. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
7. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
8. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
9. How does Isabel react to Sophie's disappearance?
10. How does Maugham obtain an invitation?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)