|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What play does Maugham go to see in this chapter?
(a) The Caretaker
(d) Death of a Salesman
2. What has Larry got enough money to do?
(a) Go home
(b) Pay for Sophie's burial
(c) Buy lunch
(d) Pay his rent
3. Why is opium easier to get in Toulouse?
(a) It has a port.
(b) It is cheaper.
(c) It is grown there.
(d) There are lots of Chinese people.
4. What does Suzanne have in her mouth?
(a) A paintbrush
(b) A tooth pick
(c) A bone
(d) A tooth brush
5. Why is Maugham upset?
(a) He cannot go back to Seville.
(b) He has lost his pen.
(c) He cannot tell the story in Larry's voice.
(d) He has forgotten his note book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maugham meet in Toulon?
2. Who does Maugham meet at the play?
3. Who comes instead of the local bishop?
4. Who stages the best party of the season?
5. Who does Maugham call when it becomes clear that Elliott is near to death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Larry learn about evil in India?
2. Describe the cafe in which Maugham and Larry drink?
3. In what way has Elliot changed from the last time Maugham saw him?
4. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
5. How does Suzanne become a successful artist?
6. What does the Indian say is significant about the sculptures in the cave?
7. Explain what Larry sees and feels when he experiences the Absolute?
8. In what ways does the story end happily?
9. What is Maugham's opinion of Isabel's character?
10. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)