|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author initially state he has not done?
(a) Included his wife in the story
(b) Invented or embellished anything
(c) Based anything on the truth
(d) Injected any humor
2. What is the name of the Irishman Larry makes friends with during the war?
3. How often does Sophie say she is at the cafe?
(a) Every weekend
(b) Every monday
(c) Every night
(d) Twice a week
4. Why does Mrs. Bradley decline to visit her brother's new home?
(a) She has no money.
(b) She hates France.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She thinks he is a snob.
5. What does the author admit is part of his problem in writing the novel?
(a) He is writing about friends.
(b) He is writing about his secrets.
(c) He is writing about Paris.
(d) He is writing about an American.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gregory admit looks awful in Mrs. Bradley's house?
2. What kind of book is Larry reading in this chapter?
3. How long after the stock market crash does this chapter begin?
4. Who does Larry meets in Lens?
5. How long does Larry think it will take to find answers about God and the soul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maugham say about a person's true nature in Chapter 3?
2. Describe Kosti.
3. Why does Larry want to go to Paris?
4. What has happened to Elliott in Chapter 7?
5. Describe Suzanne's time with Larry in the country.
6. What do the adults say about Larry's future?
7. What is Sophie's tragic story?
8. Describe Suzanne's life in Paris.
9. Describe Elliott
10. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)