|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Isabel say she does not go with Larry's plan to travel Europe?
(a) She is scared.
(b) She wants Larry to get a job.
(c) She wants to go home.
(d) She wants to have a baby.
2. To which organization does Elliott donate money?
(a) The orphanage
(b) The church
(d) The hospital
3. Who can Isabel be introduced to in London?
(b) Young female friends
(c) Rich, young men
(d) Princes and Dukes
4. Why does Maugham state it is difficult to write about people from another country?
(a) They cannot speak English.
(b) A foreigner always compares it to his own country.
(c) A foreigner can never understand them.
(d) They rarely give accurate information.
5. How is Isabel going to force Larry back to Chicago?
(a) Tell him she is having his baby
(b) Tell him there is no God
(c) Tell him she is going to kill herself
(d) Tell him people are laughing at him
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the characters gives Elliott investment advice?
2. In what area of France is Lens located?
3. How many times a week does Elliott see a doctor?
4. Who does the author sit next to at the dinner party?
5. At whose house does Eliott say they are having lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Larry leave Paris?
2. What happens to Kosti and Larry in Germany?
3. Describe Larry and Isobel's meeting in Chapter 3.
4. What happens to the four main characters in Rue de Lappe?
5. What were the author's reservations about writing the book?
6. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
7. How does Maugham go about trying to find Larry?
8. Describe Kosti.
9. What does Larry tell the narrator about what he wants in the opening chapter?
10. What are Isabel's thoughts on love?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)