|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gregory admit looks awful in Mrs. Bradley's house?
(a) Her curtains
(b) Her carpet
(c) Her furniture
(d) Her paintings
2. Why does Maugham think Elliott wants to get Isabel's mind off Larry?
(a) To get back at Larry
(b) To marry Mrs. Bradley
(c) To seduce her
(d) To show off his connections
3. For how long does Larry want to go to Paris?
(a) One year
(b) Two years
(c) Six months
(d) Four years
4. In what area of France is Lens located?
(a) Southern France
(b) Western France
(c) Eastern France
(d) Northern France
5. What is Larry's excuse for not eating lunch with Elliott?
(a) He wants to write.
(b) He has to loaf.
(c) He does not like Elliott.
(d) He does not eat lunch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maugham say he does not trust?
2. What does Larry say will happen when he counts to 24?
3. What two things does the author state he has changed in the book?
4. How many years is it until Maugham sees Larry and Isabel again?
5. How many years has it been since Maugham last saw Isabel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maugham say he has changed about the real story?
2. What is Sophie's tragic story?
3. What confirms to Isabel that she has made the correct choice in breaking off her engagement?
4. What happens to Kosti and Larry in Germany?
5. How do Gray and Isabel's appearances differ?
6. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
7. Describe Suzanne's time with Larry in the country.
8. How do things change for Elliott in Chapter 6?
9. What are Isabel's thoughts on love?
10. Describe Suzanne's life in Paris.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)