|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of book is Larry reading in this chapter?
(a) A sports book
(b) A travel guide
(c) Psychology book
(d) A novel
2. What does Larry say will happen when he counts to 24?
(a) Gray will fall asleep
(b) Gray's headache will disappear
(c) Gray's arm wil raise
(d) Gray will disappear
3. In what month does this chapter take place?
4. Who does the author sit next to at the dinner party?
(c) Mrs. Bradley
5. What two things does the author state he has changed in the book?
(a) Conversations and cities
(b) Cities and the age of characters
(c) Names and conversations
(d) The chronological settings and names
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Larry meets in Lens?
2. For whom does Isabel admit that she has strong feelings?
3. At whose house does Eliott say they are having lunch?
4. Wjat does Kosti cheat at in this chapter?
5. In what area of France is Lens located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Elliot's plan at the beginning of the fourth chapter?
2. Why does Isabel become so lustful in the car?
3. What does Larry say about his time away?
4. What does Maugham say he has changed about the real story?
5. Why does Larry leave Paris?
6. How does the stock market crash affect the main characters?
7. What is Larry's opinion of Sophie?
8. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
9. Describe Kosti.
10. Describe Suzanne's life in Paris.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)