|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie turn to after her husband dies?
(d) Alcohol and sex
2. How old is Elliott?
3. In what area of France is Lens located?
(a) Western France
(b) Northern France
(c) Eastern France
(d) Southern France
4. Which character develops a plan to help Isabel forget about Larry?
(d) Mrs. Bradley
5. Who gives Isabel away?
(b) Mrs. Bradley
Short Answer Questions
1. Who assumes the position of narrator in this chapter?
2. In what city does Larry buy a new suit?
3. How old is Suzanne when she moves to Paris?
4. Why does Maugham think Elliott wants to get Isabel's mind off Larry?
5. Why is Kosti forced to leave the Polish army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
2. What confirms to Isabel that she has made the correct choice in breaking off her engagement?
3. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
4. Describe Elliott
5. What does Maugham say about a person's true nature in Chapter 3?
6. What were the author's reservations about writing the book?
7. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
8. What does Maugham say he has changed about the real story?
9. What is Elliot's plan at the beginning of the fourth chapter?
10. Why does Isabel become so lustful in the car?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)