|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long does Larry want to go to Paris?
(a) Four years
(b) Six months
(c) One year
(d) Two years
2. What does Sophie turn to after her husband dies?
(c) Alcohol and sex
3. What cafe does Maugham go to in this chapter?
(a) Cafe Paris
(b) Cafe Du Dome
(c) Cafe Gourmet
(d) Cafe Le Sin
4. Who can Isabel be introduced to in London?
(b) Rich, young men
(c) Princes and Dukes
(d) Young female friends
5. Why does Maugham think Elliott wants to get Isabel's mind off Larry?
(a) To seduce her
(b) To marry Mrs. Bradley
(c) To show off his connections
(d) To get back at Larry
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Gray and Isabel wait for Larry to visit?
2. Which is the only main character that Maugham says he still sees frequently?
3. In what city does Larry buy a new suit?
4. About shat does Larry say he is trying to find answers?
5. Gray is made a partner in ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Maugham give for Elliott helping Isabel?
2. What does Larry say about his time away?
3. How does Maugham go about trying to find Larry?
4. What is Maugham's opinion of Larry?
5. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
6. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
7. How do Gray and Isabel's appearances differ?
8. In what way does Sophie embody the book's theme of good and evil?
9. How does Sophie give in to temptation?
10. What is Elliot's plan at the beginning of the fourth chapter?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)