|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Isabel say she does not go with Larry's plan to travel Europe?
(a) She is scared.
(b) She wants to go home.
(c) She wants Larry to get a job.
(d) She wants to have a baby.
2. How old is Elliott?
3. For what does Isabel ask the narrator to join her?
(a) A smoke
(b) A film
(c) A theater performance
(d) An ice cream soda
4. What does Sophie turn to after her husband dies?
(c) Alcohol and sex
5. With whom does Suzanne move to Paris?
(a) Her best friend
(b) Her mother
(c) An artist
(d) Her brother
Short Answer Questions
1. About shat does Larry say he is trying to find answers?
2. Which of the following characters is a renowned decorator?
3. How many years has it been since Maugham last saw Isabel?
4. Who does the narrator meet for lunch?
5. What is the reason the author states he is writing the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Elliott
2. What happens to Kosti and Larry in Germany?
3. What are Isabel's thoughts on love?
4. What happens to the four main characters in Rue de Lappe?
5. Describe Kosti.
6. What were the author's reservations about writing the book?
7. How does Maugham go about trying to find Larry?
8. What reasons does Isabelle give for staying with Gray?
9. What confirms to Isabel that she has made the correct choice in breaking off her engagement?
10. Describe Larry and Isobel's meeting in Chapter 3.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)