|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two characters does Maugham examine in this chapter?
(a) Elliot and Gray
(b) Elliott and Mrs. Bradley
(c) Irene and Mrs. Bradley
(d) Sophie and Gray
2. From what is Gray suffering when he goes out to dinner?
(a) A bad back
(b) A sprained ankle
(c) A migraine
(d) The flu
3. Where does Larry say he learned hypnosis?
4. Why does Maugham state it is difficult to write about people from another country?
(a) They rarely give accurate information.
(b) A foreigner always compares it to his own country.
(c) A foreigner can never understand them.
(d) They cannot speak English.
5. What does Larry say he spends time doing?
(a) Loafing and reading
(b) Writing and drawing
(c) Reading and writing
(d) Joking and laughing
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator unexpectedly meet Larry?
2. What does the author immediately state his misgivings about?
3. In what area of France is Lens located?
4. What is the name of the man Sophie marries?
5. Who gives Isabel away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the four main characters in Rue de Lappe?
2. Describe the point of view Maugham uses.
3. What does Larry tell the narrator about what he wants in the opening chapter?
4. What has happened to Elliott in Chapter 7?
5. What confirms to Isabel that she has made the correct choice in breaking off her engagement?
6. What happens to Kosti and Larry in Germany?
7. Describe Larry and Isobel's meeting in Chapter 3.
8. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
9. What does Maugham say he has changed about the real story?
10. What is Elliot's plan at the beginning of the fourth chapter?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)