|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years is it until Maugham sees Larry and Isabel again?
(a) Nine years
(b) Eight years
(c) Five years
(d) Ten years
2. How are Sophie's husband and daughter killed?
(b) They were murdered
(c) In a car accident
(d) Joint suicide
3. What is Larry's excuse for not eating lunch with Elliott?
(a) He does not eat lunch.
(b) He does not like Elliott.
(c) He has to loaf.
(d) He wants to write.
4. By whos is Gray and Isabel's house decorated?
(a) David Maturin
(b) Gregory Brabazon
(c) Somerset Maugham
(d) Frank Sinclair
5. Why does Maugham state it is difficult to write about people from another country?
(a) They rarely give accurate information.
(b) A foreigner can never understand them.
(c) They cannot speak English.
(d) A foreigner always compares it to his own country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gray Maturin id the son of _____________.
2. What two things does the author state he has changed in the book?
3. Who does the narrator meet for lunch?
4. For what does Isabel ask the narrator to join her?
5. Who gives Isabel away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Suzanne's life in Paris.
2. Why does Isabel become so lustful in the car?
3. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
4. How is Larry when he meets Isabel and Gray in Chapter 7?
5. What has happened to Elliott in Chapter 7?
6. What is Maugham's opinion of Larry?
7. What is Larry's opinion of Sophie?
8. What were the author's reservations about writing the book?
9. How does the stock market crash affect the main characters?
10. What is Sophie's tragic story?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)