|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which organization does Elliott donate money?
(a) The church
(c) The orphanage
(d) The hospital
2. For what does Isabel ask the narrator to join her?
(a) A smoke
(b) A film
(c) A theater performance
(d) An ice cream soda
3. What is Patty's role in the war?
(a) A pilot
(b) A private
(c) A machine gunner
(d) A mechanic
4. Who gives Isabel away?
(a) Mrs. Bradley
5. Gray is made a partner in ______________.
(a) A clothes factory
(b) A bomb factory
(c) A brokerage business
(d) A decorating business
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author admit is part of his problem in writing the novel?
2. In what city does Larry buy a new suit?
3. What does Larry say he spends time doing?
4. Why does Mrs. Bradley decline to visit her brother's new home?
5. Who sends Sophie to Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Isabel's terrible news?
2. Why does Larry want to go to Paris?
3. Describe Suzanne's time with Larry in the country.
4. How does the stock market crash affect the main characters?
5. Describe Isabal's plan to win back Larry in Paris in Chapter 4.
6. What does Maugham imagine about Isabel and Gray's life in Texas?
7. Why is Elliott so upset at not being invited to Edna's party?
8. How does Elliott try to help Larry?
9. What is Maugham's opinion of Larry?
10. Describe Elliott's life on the Riviera.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)