|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what time of year does Maugham go to the Riviera?
2. Who does Maugham meet at the play?
3. Who does Maugham meet in Toulon?
4. Who comes instead of the local bishop?
(a) The president
(b) The bishop
(c) The pope
(d) The cardinal
5. What does Maugham compliment Isabel on to calm her down?
(a) Her looks
(b) Her shoes
(c) Her fashion sense
(d) Her intelligence
6. Of what nationality is Edna?
7. Who does Maugham visit at the Riviera?
8. Why does Elliott refuse to lend Paul his costume?
(a) He has no morals
(b) He is crass
(c) He is a hopeless gossip
(d) He is careless
9. Why is opium easier to get in Toulouse?
(a) It is grown there.
(b) It is cheaper.
(c) There are lots of Chinese people.
(d) It has a port.
10. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
(a) He made himself look bad.
(b) He liked everyone.
(c) There is a happy ending.
(d) His characters were inconsistent.
11. Which word best describes Larry's voice?
(c) High pitched
12. For what does Maugham say she sacrificed Larry?
(b) A diamond ring and a mink coat
(c) Two point four children
13. In what country does Gray start looking for work?
14. In her note, what does Isabel say has happened?
(a) Something terrible
(b) Something unbelievable
(c) Someting very funny
(d) Something strange
15. What does Elliott miss while he is bedridden?
(a) Eating out
(c) His family
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to borrow Elliot's costume?
2. In what room in Edna's house does Maugham steal an invitation?
3. Where have the police found Sophie's body?
4. What is the name of Sophie's new lover?
5. Why does Larry visit Seville?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)