|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Isabel plant the vodka?
(a) She is interested in what Sophie would do.
(b) She wants to marry Larry.
(c) Sophie criticizes her
(d) She would have made Larry miserable.
2. What does Elliott miss while he is bedridden?
(b) Eating out
(d) His family
3. To whom does Elliott leave his house, his apartment, his paintings and his furniture?
(c) Mrs. Bradley
(d) Isabel and Gray
4. To whho does Maugham compare Larry?
(b) Knut Hamsun
(c) Jesus Christ
5. What does Maugham think that Sophie is going through?
(b) Self hate
(c) A transition
6. What is the name of Lary's Yogi?
(a) Fred Barnes
(b) Shri Ganesha
(c) Sindod Farresh
(d) Benvali Gulliva
7. What kind of business does Gray want to start?
(a) An oil business
(b) A cleaning business
(c) A silver mine
(d) A bomb factory
8. What is Suzanne's surname?
9. Which word best describes Larry's voice?
(b) High pitched
10. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
11. To what city is Larry taking a ship?
(a) New Mexico
(c) San Francisco
(d) New York
12. In what city does Gray want to set up his business?
(c) New Mexico
13. What is the name of Ganesha's compound?
14. How many days after Isabel's meeting with Maugham does she invite Larry and Sophie for lunch?
(a) Three days
(b) Six days
(c) Two days
(d) Four days
15. What does Suzanne have in her mouth?
(a) A paintbrush
(b) A tooth pick
(c) A bone
(d) A tooth brush
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Larry go when he leaves the village?
2. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
3. What does Sophie say she drinks in Isabel's apartment?
4. In her note, what does Isabel say has happened?
5. Who does Maugham call when it becomes clear that Elliott is near to death?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)