|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maugham compliment Isabel on to calm her down?
(a) Her fashion sense
(b) Her intelligence
(c) Her looks
(d) Her shoes
2. In what room in Edna's house does Maugham steal an invitation?
(a) The bathroom
(b) The dining room
(c) The secretary's room
(d) The games room
3. Who does Maugham visit at the Riviera?
4. What play does Maugham go to see in this chapter?
(a) Death of a Salesman
(c) The Caretaker
5. What has Larry got enough money to do?
(a) Go home
(b) Buy lunch
(c) Pay for Sophie's burial
(d) Pay his rent
6. Where have the police found Sophie's body?
(a) In the harbor
(b) In the bar toilets
(c) In the lake
(d) In a factory
7. Why does Maugham think that Elliott cannot stop going to parties?
(a) He is afraid of not being important.
(b) He needs to be loved.
(c) He needs people around him.
(d) He is a drug addict.
8. What is the name of Elliott's costume?
(a) A Prince de Lauria
(b) A Count de Lauria
(c) A Lord de Lauria
(d) A Duke de Lauria
9. What kind of business does Gray want to start?
(a) An oil business
(b) A silver mine
(c) A cleaning business
(d) A bomb factory
10. What does Elliott leave to Maugham in his will?
(a) His money
(b) His Paris apartment
(c) His Riveria house
(d) His 18th-century pornographic book collection
11. What does Isabel say she sacrificed?
(a) Her mother
(d) Her life
12. Why is Maugham upset?
(a) He cannot go back to Seville.
(b) He has lost his pen.
(c) He cannot tell the story in Larry's voice.
(d) He has forgotten his note book.
13. Who iss Sophie supposed to meet the day she disappeares?
14. Why is opium easier to get in Toulouse?
(a) It has a port.
(b) There are lots of Chinese people.
(c) It is cheaper.
(d) It is grown there.
15. Which word best describes Larry's voice?
(d) High pitched
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
2. During what time of year does Maugham go to the Riviera?
3. What city in Spain does Larry visit?
4. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
5. What does Maugham think that Sophie is going through?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)