|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Maugham meet at the police station?
2. What city in Spain does Larry visit?
3. Who iss Sophie supposed to meet the day she disappeares?
4. Who knocks on Maugham door at his house on the Riviera?
(b) His brother
(c) The police
(d) The FBI
5. Why is opium easier to get in Toulouse?
(a) It is cheaper.
(b) It has a port.
(c) There are lots of Chinese people.
(d) It is grown there.
6. What does Maugham do while Isabel cries?
(a) Goes into the garden
(d) Hugs her
7. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
(a) He liked everyone.
(b) His characters were inconsistent.
(c) He made himself look bad.
(d) There is a happy ending.
8. What does Mr Achilles want Suzanne to have before he brings her back to his town?
(a) A sense of humor
(b) A child
(c) A good reputation
(d) A scholarship
9. What does Elliott say the U.S is becoming?
(a) A communist state
(b) Blue collar
(c) Middle class
10. What is the name of Elliott's manservant?
11. How does Sophie get to Toulouse?
(a) Hire car
(c) By train
12. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
13. What is the name of Ganesha's compound?
14. Where have the police found Sophie's body?
(a) In a factory
(b) In the bar toilets
(c) In the lake
(d) In the harbor
15. Why does Isabel think Sophie's disappearance is for the best?
(a) She is not a nice person.
(b) Larry did notlove her.
(c) She needs to be free.
(d) She would oppress Larry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maugham compliment Isabel on to calm her down?
2. What is the subject of Larry's book?
3. What does Maugham think that Sophie is going through?
4. How do the police connect Maugham to Sophie?
5. Where does Larry stay during the spring?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)