|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word best describes Larry's voice?
(b) High pitched
2. How many years have Gray and Isabel spent in Paris?
(a) Three years
(b) Six years
(c) Four years
(d) Eight years
3. What is the subject of Larry's book?
(b) Successful men
(d) The Absolute
4. Why does Isabel plant the vodka?
(a) She would have made Larry miserable.
(b) Sophie criticizes her
(c) She is interested in what Sophie would do.
(d) She wants to marry Larry.
5. Who iss Sophie supposed to meet the day she disappeares?
6. Why does Maugham think that Elliott cannot stop going to parties?
(a) He needs people around him.
(b) He is a drug addict.
(c) He needs to be loved.
(d) He is afraid of not being important.
7. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
8. Why is Maugham upset?
(a) He cannot tell the story in Larry's voice.
(b) He has forgotten his note book.
(c) He cannot go back to Seville.
(d) He has lost his pen.
9. In what city does Gray want to set up his business?
(d) New Mexico
10. Where have the police found Sophie's body?
(a) In the harbor
(b) In a factory
(c) In the lake
(d) In the bar toilets
11. What is Hakim's?
(a) A cafe
(b) A brothel
(c) An opium parlor
(d) A disco
12. Who does Maugham call when it becomes clear that Elliott is near to death?
(a) His sister
(b) The doctor
(c) The local priest
(d) The local bishop
13. What does Ganesha's friend allow Larry to use?
(a) His binoculars
(b) His bugalow
(c) His gun
(d) His jeep
14. What kind of business does Gray want to start?
(a) An oil business
(b) A silver mine
(c) A bomb factory
(d) A cleaning business
15. Why is opium easier to get in Toulouse?
(a) It is grown there.
(b) It has a port.
(c) It is cheaper.
(d) There are lots of Chinese people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Larry got enough money to do?
2. For what does Mr. Achilles marry his previous wife?
3. What does Mr Achilles want Suzanne to have before he brings her back to his town?
4. Why does Maugham say Isabel kills Sophie?
5. To whom does Elliott leave his house, his apartment, his paintings and his furniture?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)