|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Suzanne's surname?
2. What does Elliott miss while he is bedridden?
(a) Eating out
(c) His family
3. For what does Mr. Achilles marry his previous wife?
4. Who knocks on Maugham door at his house on the Riviera?
(a) The police
(b) His brother
(c) The FBI
5. In what country does Gray start looking for work?
6. Where does Elliott say he should have never left?
7. Why does Maugham say Isabel kills Sophie?
(a) She plantsthe vodka.
(b) She has a motive.
(c) He wants to frighten her.
(d) She is seen at the harbor.
8. What is the name of Ganesha's compound?
9. Why does Isabel think Sophie's disappearance is for the best?
(a) She would oppress Larry.
(b) She needs to be free.
(c) She is not a nice person.
(d) Larry did notlove her.
10. What does Maugham think that Sophie is going through?
(a) Self hate
(b) A transition
11. For what does Maugham apologize to the reader?
(a) Not having a happy ending
(b) His poor writing style
(c) The novel's seriousness
(d) The melodrama
12. Of what nationality is Edna?
13. What is the subject of Larry's book?
(b) The Absolute
(d) Successful men
14. Who is Larry due to marry?
(b) Mrs. Bradley
15. What does Suzanne have in her mouth?
(a) A bone
(b) A tooth pick
(c) A tooth brush
(d) A paintbrush
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Larry go when he leaves the village?
2. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
3. What is Larry's story about?
4. What does he order Elliott not to do?
5. Why is Maugham upset?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)