|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maugham compliment Isabel on to calm her down?
(a) Her intelligence
(b) Her looks
(c) Her shoes
(d) Her fashion sense
2. What does Elliott leave to Maugham in his will?
(a) His 18th-century pornographic book collection
(b) His money
(c) His Paris apartment
(d) His Riveria house
3. Of what nationality is Edna?
4. Where does Elliott say he should have never left?
5. Why is Maugham upset?
(a) He cannot go back to Seville.
(b) He cannot tell the story in Larry's voice.
(c) He has lost his pen.
(d) He has forgotten his note book.
6. What does Suzanne have in her mouth?
(a) A bone
(b) A paintbrush
(c) A tooth pick
(d) A tooth brush
7. Why is Toulouse good for Sophie?
(a) There are lots of bars.
(b) The air is fresh.
(c) There is easy access to opium.
(d) It is more relaxed.
8. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
(a) There is a happy ending.
(b) His characters were inconsistent.
(c) He made himself look bad.
(d) He liked everyone.
9. What is the name of Lary's Yogi?
(a) Benvali Gulliva
(b) Fred Barnes
(c) Sindod Farresh
(d) Shri Ganesha
10. What does Mr Achilles want Suzanne to have before he brings her back to his town?
(a) A sense of humor
(b) A good reputation
(c) A child
(d) A scholarship
11. How many days after Isabel's meeting with Maugham does she invite Larry and Sophie for lunch?
(a) Two days
(b) Three days
(c) Six days
(d) Four days
12. Who does Maugham visit at the Riviera?
13. Where does Larry go when he leaves the village?
14. Who wants to borrow Elliot's costume?
(a) Davis Love
(b) Larry Sinclair
(c) Paul Barton
(d) Jose Payno
15. Who stages the best party of the season?
(a) Edna Novemali
(b) Helena Karabcova
(c) Count de Lauria
(d) The Prince of Wales
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maugham think that Sophie is going through?
2. Who does Ganesha say is the only guru?
3. What does Elliott say the U.S is becoming?
4. To whom does Elliott leave his house, his apartment, his paintings and his furniture?
5. Why does Isabel think Sophie's disappearance is for the best?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)