|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whho does Maugham compare Larry?
(a) Jesus Christ
(c) Knut Hamsun
2. Why does Maugham say Isabel kills Sophie?
(a) She is seen at the harbor.
(b) He wants to frighten her.
(c) She plantsthe vodka.
(d) She has a motive.
3. Why is Toulouse good for Sophie?
(a) There are lots of bars.
(b) It is more relaxed.
(c) There is easy access to opium.
(d) The air is fresh.
4. Who iss Sophie supposed to meet the day she disappeares?
5. During what time of year does Maugham go to the Riviera?
6. Who does Maugham call when it becomes clear that Elliott is near to death?
(a) The local bishop
(b) The doctor
(c) The local priest
(d) His sister
7. Where does Elliott say he should have never left?
8. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
(a) His characters were inconsistent.
(b) He made himself look bad.
(c) There is a happy ending.
(d) He liked everyone.
9. Why does Isabel plant the vodka?
(a) She would have made Larry miserable.
(b) She wants to marry Larry.
(c) Sophie criticizes her
(d) She is interested in what Sophie would do.
10. Who does Maugham meet at the police station?
11. Which word best describes Larry's voice?
(a) High pitched
12. What does Isabel say she sacrificed?
(c) Her mother
(d) Her life
13. What is the name of Ganesha's compound?
14. How many days after Isabel's meeting with Maugham does she invite Larry and Sophie for lunch?
(a) Two days
(b) Three days
(c) Six days
(d) Four days
15. What does Elliott miss while he is bedridden?
(b) His family
(c) Eating out
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie say she drinks in Isabel's apartment?
2. What play does Maugham go to see in this chapter?
3. Why does Isabel think Sophie's disappearance is for the best?
4. Who knocks on Maugham door at his house on the Riviera?
5. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)