|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Maugham say she sacrificed Larry?
(a) Two point four children
(b) A diamond ring and a mink coat
2. Why does Maugham say Isabel kills Sophie?
(a) She plantsthe vodka.
(b) She has a motive.
(c) He wants to frighten her.
(d) She is seen at the harbor.
3. Who comes instead of the local bishop?
(a) The pope
(b) The president
(c) The bishop
(d) The cardinal
4. What is the name of Sophie's new lover?
(a) Mr. Achilles
(b) Mr. Jones
(c) Mr. Arcade
(d) Mr. Janus
5. Who does Maugham meet at the play?
6. Who does Maugham meet at the police station?
7. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
(a) There is a happy ending.
(b) He liked everyone.
(c) His characters were inconsistent.
(d) He made himself look bad.
8. Who does Maugham visit at the Riviera?
9. What does Elliott leave to Maugham in his will?
(a) His Paris apartment
(b) His money
(c) His Riveria house
(d) His 18th-century pornographic book collection
10. Who knocks on Maugham door at his house on the Riviera?
(b) The police
(c) His brother
(d) The FBI
11. What play does Maugham go to see in this chapter?
(a) Death of a Salesman
(d) The Caretaker
12. To what city is Larry taking a ship?
(a) New Mexico
(c) New York
(d) San Francisco
13. What kind of business does Gray want to start?
(a) An oil business
(b) A bomb factory
(c) A silver mine
(d) A cleaning business
14. What is the name of Elliott's manservant?
15. What is Larry's story about?
(a) How he met Suzanne.
(b) How he got back to Paris.
(c) How he found love.
(d) How he became a writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what time of year does Maugham go to the Riviera?
2. What does Mr Achilles want Suzanne to have before he brings her back to his town?
3. What does Elliott say the U.S is becoming?
4. Why does Elliott refuse to lend Paul his costume?
5. What is Suzanne's surname?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)