|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city in Spain does Larry visit?
2. What kind of business does Gray want to start?
(a) A silver mine
(b) A cleaning business
(c) A bomb factory
(d) An oil business
3. What does he order Elliott not to do?
(a) Leave his romm
(b) Get cold
(c) Drink coffee
4. For what does Mr. Achilles marry his previous wife?
5. Why is Toulouse good for Sophie?
(a) It is more relaxed.
(b) There are lots of bars.
(c) There is easy access to opium.
(d) The air is fresh.
6. Who does Maugham meet at the police station?
7. What has Larry got enough money to do?
(a) Pay his rent
(b) Go home
(c) Buy lunch
(d) Pay for Sophie's burial
8. What does Maugham compliment Isabel on to calm her down?
(a) Her intelligence
(b) Her fashion sense
(c) Her looks
(d) Her shoes
9. Why does Larry visit Seville?
(a) To find his mother
(b) To find a wife
(c) To learn about religion
(d) To learn about art
10. Why is Maugham upset?
(a) He cannot go back to Seville.
(b) He has forgotten his note book.
(c) He cannot tell the story in Larry's voice.
(d) He has lost his pen.
11. Where does Elliott say he should have never left?
12. What is Larry's story about?
(a) How he found love.
(b) How he met Suzanne.
(c) How he became a writer.
(d) How he got back to Paris.
13. Who stages the best party of the season?
(a) Edna Novemali
(b) The Prince of Wales
(c) Helena Karabcova
(d) Count de Lauria
14. What does Suzanne have in her mouth?
(a) A paintbrush
(b) A tooth brush
(c) A bone
(d) A tooth pick
15. What does Maugham do while Isabel cries?
(b) Goes into the garden
(c) Hugs her
Short Answer Questions
1. During what time of year does Maugham go to the Riviera?
2. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
3. What does Sophie say she drinks in Isabel's apartment?
4. Who does Maugham meet at the play?
5. For what does Maugham apologize to the reader?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)