|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who knocks on Maugham door at his house on the Riviera?
(a) The FBI
(c) His brother
(d) The police
2. Who does Maugham visit at the Riviera?
3. Where does Larry go when he leaves the village?
4. For what does Mr. Achilles marry his previous wife?
5. Why is Maugham upset?
(a) He cannot go back to Seville.
(b) He has lost his pen.
(c) He cannot tell the story in Larry's voice.
(d) He has forgotten his note book.
6. Who does Maugham meet in Toulon?
7. Why does Isabel think Sophie's disappearance is for the best?
(a) She is not a nice person.
(b) She needs to be free.
(c) She would oppress Larry.
(d) Larry did notlove her.
8. What has Larry got enough money to do?
(a) Pay his rent
(b) Buy lunch
(c) Go home
(d) Pay for Sophie's burial
9. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
10. Where does Larry stay during the spring?
(a) An Indian village
(b) A French village
11. What is the name of Sophie's new lover?
(a) Mr. Achilles
(b) Mr. Arcade
(c) Mr. Jones
(d) Mr. Janus
12. Why does Maugham think that Elliott cannot stop going to parties?
(a) He needs to be loved.
(b) He is afraid of not being important.
(c) He is a drug addict.
(d) He needs people around him.
13. Who does Maugham meet at the police station?
14. How many years have Gray and Isabel spent in Paris?
(a) Eight years
(b) Six years
(c) Three years
(d) Four years
15. In her note, what does Isabel say has happened?
(a) Something unbelievable
(b) Something terrible
(c) Something strange
(d) Someting very funny
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Larry visit Seville?
2. What does Maugham do while Isabel cries?
3. Who does Maugham call when it becomes clear that Elliott is near to death?
4. To whom does Elliott leave his house, his apartment, his paintings and his furniture?
5. During what time of year does Maugham go to the Riviera?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)