|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maugham celebrate the completion of the rough draft of his novel?
(a) He goes to a party.
(b) He travels to India.
(c) He sails up the coast.
(d) He arranges a party.
2. What does Suzanne have in her mouth?
(a) A tooth brush
(b) A bone
(c) A paintbrush
(d) A tooth pick
3. Why is Toulouse good for Sophie?
(a) There is easy access to opium.
(b) The air is fresh.
(c) There are lots of bars.
(d) It is more relaxed.
4. What does Elliott miss while he is bedridden?
(a) His family
(d) Eating out
5. Who comes instead of the local bishop?
(a) The bishop
(b) The pope
(c) The cardinal
(d) The president
6. What is the name of Lary's Yogi?
(a) Sindod Farresh
(b) Shri Ganesha
(c) Fred Barnes
(d) Benvali Gulliva
7. Who does Maugham meet at the police station?
8. Where does Larry stay during the spring?
(a) An Indian village
(c) A French village
9. What has Larry got enough money to do?
(a) Pay for Sophie's burial
(b) Pay his rent
(c) Buy lunch
(d) Go home
10. For what does Mr. Achilles marry his previous wife?
11. How many days after Isabel's meeting with Maugham does she invite Larry and Sophie for lunch?
(a) Three days
(b) Six days
(c) Two days
(d) Four days
12. Who wants to borrow Elliot's costume?
(a) Jose Payno
(b) Davis Love
(c) Larry Sinclair
(d) Paul Barton
13. How many years have Gray and Isabel spent in Paris?
(a) Four years
(b) Three years
(c) Six years
(d) Eight years
14. What does Maugham compliment Isabel on to calm her down?
(a) Her shoes
(b) Her looks
(c) Her intelligence
(d) Her fashion sense
15. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Gray want to set up his business?
2. What is Hakim's?
3. Who does Maugham meet in Toulon?
4. What is the name of Sophie's new lover?
5. Why does Maugham think that Elliott cannot stop going to parties?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)