|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what room in Edna's house does Maugham steal an invitation?
(a) The games room
(b) The secretary's room
(c) The bathroom
(d) The dining room
2. Where does Larry stay during the spring?
(c) A French village
(d) An Indian village
3. What does Elliott leave to Maugham in his will?
(a) His 18th-century pornographic book collection
(b) His Riveria house
(c) His money
(d) His Paris apartment
4. What city in Spain does Larry visit?
5. What does Maugham realize when he looks back at the book?
(a) His characters were inconsistent.
(b) He liked everyone.
(c) There is a happy ending.
(d) He made himself look bad.
6. What does Maugham do while Isabel cries?
(c) Goes into the garden
(d) Hugs her
7. How many years have Gray and Isabel spent in Paris?
(a) Eight years
(b) Six years
(c) Three years
(d) Four years
8. What does Maugham compliment Isabel on to calm her down?
(a) Her looks
(b) Her intelligence
(c) Her fashion sense
(d) Her shoes
9. Why is opium easier to get in Toulouse?
(a) There are lots of Chinese people.
(b) It is cheaper.
(c) It has a port.
(d) It is grown there.
10. Who does Maugham meet in Toulon?
11. In what city does Gray want to set up his business?
(d) New Mexico
12. How do the police connect Maugham to Sophie?
(a) They read her diary.
(b) She speaks his name.
(c) They find a letter.
(d) They find his book in her room.
13. Who does Maugham meet at the play?
14. Who leaves Maugham a note at his hotel?
15. What does Mr Achilles want Suzanne to have before he brings her back to his town?
(a) A good reputation
(b) A scholarship
(c) A sense of humor
(d) A child
Short Answer Questions
1. In her note, what does Isabel say has happened?
2. What does he order Elliott not to do?
3. What is the name of Lary's Yogi?
4. Why does Isabel think Sophie's disappearance is for the best?
5. How many days after Isabel's meeting with Maugham does she invite Larry and Sophie for lunch?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)