|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Elliott's manservant?
2. Where have the police found Sophie's body?
(a) In a factory
(b) In the harbor
(c) In the bar toilets
(d) In the lake
3. What is Suzanne's surname?
4. Where does Maugham go to work on his novel?
(d) The Riviera
5. Who does Maugham visit at the Riviera?
6. During what time of year does Maugham go to the Riviera?
7. Who is Larry due to marry?
(d) Mrs. Bradley
8. How many days after Isabel's meeting with Maugham does she invite Larry and Sophie for lunch?
(a) Two days
(b) Six days
(c) Three days
(d) Four days
9. What is Larry's story about?
(a) How he got back to Paris.
(b) How he met Suzanne.
(c) How he became a writer.
(d) How he found love.
10. Why is Toulouse good for Sophie?
(a) The air is fresh.
(b) There is easy access to opium.
(c) There are lots of bars.
(d) It is more relaxed.
11. For what does Maugham apologize to the reader?
(a) Not having a happy ending
(b) The novel's seriousness
(c) The melodrama
(d) His poor writing style
12. Why is opium easier to get in Toulouse?
(a) It is cheaper.
(b) It has a port.
(c) There are lots of Chinese people.
(d) It is grown there.
13. Who does Ganesha say is the only guru?
(a) The elephants
(d) The Absolute
14. What does he order Elliott not to do?
(b) Drink coffee
(c) Leave his romm
(d) Get cold
15. What does Sophie say she drinks in Isabel's apartment?
(a) Polish vodka
(b) London gin
(c) Russian vodka
(d) Scottish whiskey
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Larry's voice?
2. What kind of business does Gray want to start?
3. Why does Larry visit Seville?
4. For what does Maugham say she sacrificed Larry?
5. What does Maugham do while Isabel cries?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)