|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom does Isabel admit that she has strong feelings?
2. What does Isabel presume Larry still is?
(a) A joker
(b) A child
(c) A dreamer
(d) A virgin
3. To which organization does Elliott donate money?
(a) The hospital
(b) The orphanage
(d) The church
4. Gray is made a partner in ______________.
(a) A brokerage business
(b) A clothes factory
(c) A bomb factory
(d) A decorating business
5. What is Patty's role in the war?
(a) A machine gunner
(b) A private
(c) A pilot
(d) A mechanic
6. What character does Maugham reintroduce in this chapter?
(b) Henry Maturin
(d) Suzanne Rouzier
7. Where is Maugham leaving for after his dinner with Elliott in Chicago?
(c) The Far East
(d) New Zealand
8. How long does Larry think it will take to find answers about God and the soul?
(a) Five to ten years
(b) Twenty years
(c) Two years
(d) Twelve years
9. How much does Larry think that he and Isabel can live on per year?
10. What is the name of the coaling town where Larry goes?
11. Which character identifies the narrator as Maugham?
(b) Mrs. Bradley
12. How many years is it until Maugham sees Larry and Isabel again?
(a) Five years
(b) Nine years
(c) Ten years
(d) Eight years
13. In which city are Isabel and her family living?
(d) New York
14. Where does the narrator unexpectedly meet Larry?
(a) In a bar
(b) At a party
(c) In the street
(d) Outside his house
15. Who does the narrator meet for lunch?
(a) Gregory Brabazon
(b) Laurence Darrell
(c) Mrs. Bradley
(d) Elliott Templeton
Short Answer Questions
1. By whos is Gray and Isabel's house decorated?
2. In what year does Elliott move to the French Riviera?
3. What does Larry find out that Kosti has studied?
4. How old is Suzanne when she moves to Paris?
5. What is the name of the Irishman Larry makes friends with during the war?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)