|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Sophie say she is at the cafe?
(a) Every monday
(b) Every night
(c) Every weekend
(d) Twice a week
2. What is Larry's excuse for not eating lunch with Elliott?
(a) He does not eat lunch.
(b) He has to loaf.
(c) He does not like Elliott.
(d) He wants to write.
3. What is the name of Suzanne's daughter?
4. What does Larry put into Gray's hand?
(a) A carrot
(b) A photograph
(c) A coin
(d) A shark's tooth
5. What is Suzanne suffering from when she meets Larry for the first time?
6. Who says hello to Maugham in Cafe Du Dome?
(d) Mrs. Bradley
7. What is Patty's role in the war?
(a) A mechanic
(b) A machine gunner
(c) A pilot
(d) A private
8. What is the reason the author states he is writing the story?
(a) His friend's biographer will have useful information.
(b) He needs money.
(c) He wants to get over his depression.
(d) He needs people to understand.
9. How many years is it until Maugham sees Larry and Isabel again?
(a) Ten years
(b) Nine years
(c) Five years
(d) Eight years
10. By whos is Gray and Isabel's house decorated?
(a) Gregory Brabazon
(b) Frank Sinclair
(c) David Maturin
(d) Somerset Maugham
11. What does Larry say Sophie used to do when she was younger?
(a) Play golf
(b) Write short stories
(c) Skip school
(d) Read and write poetry
12. Why does Maugham think Elliott wants to get Isabel's mind off Larry?
(a) To get back at Larry
(b) To seduce her
(c) To marry Mrs. Bradley
(d) To show off his connections
13. How is Isabel going to force Larry back to Chicago?
(a) Tell him she is having his baby
(b) Tell him there is no God
(c) Tell him she is going to kill herself
(d) Tell him people are laughing at him
14. Who gives Isabel away?
(b) Mrs. Bradley
15. What does Sophie turn to after her husband dies?
(a) Alcohol and sex
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maugham state it is difficult to write about people from another country?
2. In what month of the year do Gray and Isabel get married?
3. In what state does Gray have a plantation?
4. How many times a week does Elliott see a doctor?
5. Where does Isabel ask Maugham to take them on his last night in Paris?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)