|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author admit is part of his problem in writing the novel?
(a) He is writing about an American.
(b) He is writing about Paris.
(c) He is writing about friends.
(d) He is writing about his secrets.
2. Why does Mrs. Bradley decline to visit her brother's new home?
(a) She thinks he is a snob.
(b) She has no money.
(c) She hates France.
(d) She is ill.
3. What did Isabel do instead of telling Larry she is having his baby?
(a) Gives him some money
(b) Tells him she loves him
(c) Kisses him goodnight
4. What is Suzanne suffering from when she meets Larry for the first time?
5. What is the name of the Irishman Larry makes friends with during the war?
6. Where does Maugham look for Larry?
7. What country does Gray say he has visited?
(a) Sri Lanka
8. What does Sophie turn to after her husband dies?
(a) Alcohol and sex
9. Gray Maturin id the son of _____________.
(a) A millionaire broker
(b) A lawyer
(c) A restaurant chain owner
(d) A hotel chain owner
10. Why does Larry state he leaves Paris?
(a) He is tired of books.
(b) He needescountry life.
(c) He wants to go home.
(d) He falls in love.
11. Who sends Sophie to Paris?
(a) Her in-laws
(b) Her ucle
(c) Her parents
(d) Her brother
12. Who does Elliott tell Mrs. Bradley lives in London?
(a) Sherlock Holmes
(b) A top diabetic specialist
(c) A top marriage councellor
(d) His father
13. Who does Larry meets in Lens?
14. By whos is Gray and Isabel's house decorated?
(a) Somerset Maugham
(b) Gregory Brabazon
(c) Frank Sinclair
(d) David Maturin
15. What does Maugham say he does not trust?
(a) Indian gurus
(b) Alcohol and drugs
(d) Women's intuition
Short Answer Questions
1. What cafe does Maugham go to in this chapter?
2. From which country does Kosti come?
3. Who gives Isabel away?
4. What is Patty's role in the war?
5. Henry Maturin dies of ___________.
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)