|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character does Maugham reintroduce in this chapter?
(a) Suzanne Rouzier
(d) Henry Maturin
2. For whom does Isabel admit that she has strong feelings?
3. What does Maugham say he does not trust?
(a) Indian gurus
(c) Alcohol and drugs
(d) Women's intuition
4. Which character do they meet in the cafe on Rue de Lappe?
5. What is Larry's excuse for not eating lunch with Elliott?
(a) He does not eat lunch.
(b) He has to loaf.
(c) He wants to write.
(d) He does not like Elliott.
6. Why does Isabel say she does not go with Larry's plan to travel Europe?
(a) She is scared.
(b) She wants to have a baby.
(c) She wants Larry to get a job.
(d) She wants to go home.
7. Who gives Isabel away?
(d) Mrs. Bradley
8. Which of the characters gives Elliott investment advice?
(a) Gray Maturin
(b) Henry Maturin
(c) Mrs. Bradley
9. To which organization does Elliott donate money?
(a) The hospital
(b) The orphanage
(d) The church
10. What does Larry say will happen when he counts to 24?
(a) Gray's headache will disappear
(b) Gray will fall asleep
(c) Gray will disappear
(d) Gray's arm wil raise
11. What two things does the author state he has changed in the book?
(a) The chronological settings and names
(b) Conversations and cities
(c) Names and conversations
(d) Cities and the age of characters
12. What does Larry say he spends time doing?
(a) Reading and writing
(b) Loafing and reading
(c) Joking and laughing
(d) Writing and drawing
13. Wjat does Kosti cheat at in this chapter?
14. What kind of book is Larry reading in this chapter?
(a) A sports book
(b) Psychology book
(c) A novel
(d) A travel guide
15. How many years is it until Maugham sees Larry and Isabel again?
(a) Five years
(b) Nine years
(c) Ten years
(d) Eight years
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elliott tell Mrs. Bradley lives in London?
2. What reason does Larry give for being friends with Sophie?
3. How old is Elliott?
4. What does the author admit is part of his problem in writing the novel?
5. What is Patty's role in the war?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)