|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do Gray and Isabel wait for Larry to visit?
(a) A month
(b) Two weeks
(c) Four days
(d) Three days
2. For how long does Larry want to go to Paris?
(a) One year
(b) Two years
(c) Six months
(d) Four years
3. What is the reason the author states he is writing the story?
(a) His friend's biographer will have useful information.
(b) He needs money.
(c) He needs people to understand.
(d) He wants to get over his depression.
4. What is the only thing Larry says he is interested in doing?
5. At what time of year do Mrs. Bradley and Isabel arrive in Paris?
6. In what month does this chapter take place?
7. Why does Larry state he leaves Paris?
(a) He is tired of books.
(b) He falls in love.
(c) He needescountry life.
(d) He wants to go home.
8. What two things does the author state he has changed in the book?
(a) Names and conversations
(b) Conversations and cities
(c) The chronological settings and names
(d) Cities and the age of characters
9. Why does Isabel say she does not go with Larry's plan to travel Europe?
(a) She wants Larry to get a job.
(b) She wants to have a baby.
(c) She is scared.
(d) She wants to go home.
10. How are Sophie's husband and daughter killed?
(b) They were murdered
(c) In a car accident
(d) Joint suicide
11. For whom does Isabel admit that she has strong feelings?
12. Who does Larry meets in Lens?
13. How long after the stock market crash does this chapter begin?
(a) Two-and-a-half years
(b) Five years
(c) Ten years
(d) Four years
14. What does Larry say will happen when he counts to 24?
(a) Gray will disappear
(b) Gray will fall asleep
(c) Gray's arm wil raise
(d) Gray's headache will disappear
15. Where is Maugham leaving for after his dinner with Elliott in Chicago?
(b) New Zealand
(d) The Far East
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Bradley decline to visit her brother's new home?
2. What is Suzanne suffering from when she meets Larry for the first time?
3. In what state does Gray have a plantation?
4. Wjat does Kosti cheat at in this chapter?
5. How many times a week does Elliott see a doctor?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)