|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Isabel ask the narrator to join her?
(a) A smoke
(b) A film
(c) An ice cream soda
(d) A theater performance
2. What is the reason the author states he is writing the story?
(a) His friend's biographer will have useful information.
(b) He wants to get over his depression.
(c) He needs money.
(d) He needs people to understand.
3. Which character develops a plan to help Isabel forget about Larry?
(d) Mrs. Bradley
4. Why does Mrs. Bradley decline to visit her brother's new home?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She hates France.
(c) She has no money.
(d) She thinks he is a snob.
5. In what city does the narrator meet Elliott?
(d) New York
6. How much does Larry think that he and Isabel can live on per year?
7. What are the names of Isabella's two children?
(a) Timmy and Jack
(b) Joan and Priscilla
(c) John and Joan
(d) Larry and Henry
8. For how long does Larry want to go to Paris?
(a) Six months
(b) One year
(c) Two years
(d) Four years
9. With which condition has Mrs. Bradley bee diagnosed?
10. Why does Isabel say she does not go with Larry's plan to travel Europe?
(a) She wants Larry to get a job.
(b) She is scared.
(c) She wants to go home.
(d) She wants to have a baby.
11. Which of the characters gives Elliott investment advice?
(a) Mrs. Bradley
(b) Gray Maturin
(d) Henry Maturin
12. What is the name of the Irishman Larry makes friends with during the war?
13. What does Maugham say Isabel is wearing a mask of when she stares at Larry?
14. What is Patty's role in the war?
(a) A pilot
(b) A machine gunner
(c) A mechanic
(d) A private
15. What does the author immediately state his misgivings about?
(a) Writing the story
(b) Playing golf
(c) Going to Paris
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after the stock market crash does this chapter begin?
2. How many years has it been since Maugham last saw Isabel?
3. What is the name of Suzanne's daughter?
4. What two things does the author state he has changed in the book?
5. Who gives Isabel away?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)