|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Isabel presume Larry still is?
(a) A dreamer
(b) A virgin
(c) A child
(d) A joker
2. What kind of book is Larry reading in this chapter?
(a) Psychology book
(b) A sports book
(c) A novel
(d) A travel guide
3. What do Larry and Isabel do on Isabel's final night in Paris?
(a) Drink and dance
(b) Play golf
(c) Eat and talk
4. To which organization does Elliott donate money?
(b) The church
(c) The orphanage
(d) The hospital
5. Which is the only main character that Maugham says he still sees frequently?
(b) Mrs. Bradley
6. What two things does the author state he has changed in the book?
(a) Conversations and cities
(b) Cities and the age of characters
(c) The chronological settings and names
(d) Names and conversations
7. In what state does Gray have a plantation?
(a) South Carolina
8. From what is Gray suffering when he goes out to dinner?
(a) A migraine
(b) A bad back
(c) The flu
(d) A sprained ankle
9. What do the characters think has changed Larry?
(b) The war
(d) His job
10. What does Sophie turn to after her husband dies?
(a) Alcohol and sex
11. Elliott arrange for Larry to sit next to _________.
(a) An older Parisian woman
(c) A young Mexican woman
(d) His mother
12. When does Maugham say the stock market crashes?
(a) The following October
(b) The following September
(d) The following November
13. What is Larry's excuse for not eating lunch with Elliott?
(a) He does not eat lunch.
(b) He wants to write.
(c) He does not like Elliott.
(d) He has to loaf.
14. What does Larry put into Gray's hand?
(a) A shark's tooth
(b) A photograph
(c) A coin
(d) A carrot
15. At what time of year do Mrs. Bradley and Isabel arrive in Paris?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maugham look for Larry?
2. What does Gregory admit looks awful in Mrs. Bradley's house?
3. How much money did Larry give Suzanne?
4. Why is Kosti forced to leave the Polish army?
5. How long after the stock market crash does this chapter begin?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)