|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Maugham look for Larry?
2. In which city does Elliott usually reside?
(a) New York
3. What does Larry say he spends time doing?
(a) Reading and writing
(b) Loafing and reading
(c) Writing and drawing
(d) Joking and laughing
4. What does Sophie turn to after her husband dies?
(d) Alcohol and sex
5. What does Gregory admit looks awful in Mrs. Bradley's house?
(a) Her carpet
(b) Her paintings
(c) Her furniture
(d) Her curtains
6. Which character identifies the narrator as Maugham?
(b) Mrs. Bradley
7. How much does Larry think that he and Isabel can live on per year?
8. What two things does the author state he has changed in the book?
(a) The chronological settings and names
(b) Names and conversations
(c) Conversations and cities
(d) Cities and the age of characters
9. Where does Larry say he learned hypnosis?
10. From what is Gray suffering when he goes out to dinner?
(a) The flu
(b) A migraine
(c) A sprained ankle
(d) A bad back
11. Why is Kosti forced to leave the Polish army?
(a) He stole money
(b) He is a homosexual
(c) Because of a failed coup attempt
(d) He had an affair with the General's wife
12. Who says hello to Maugham in Cafe Du Dome?
(a) Mrs. Bradley
13. For how long does Larry want to go to Paris?
(a) Four years
(b) One year
(c) Six months
(d) Two years
14. What does Maugham say Isabel is wearing a mask of when she stares at Larry?
15. How old is Suzanne when she moves to Paris?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator meet for lunch?
2. What does the author initially state he has not done?
3. Who does Elliott tell Mrs. Bradley lives in London?
4. Who does Larry meets in Lens?
5. Which is the only main character that Maugham says he still sees frequently?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)