|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maugham think Elliott wants to get Isabel's mind off Larry?
(a) To show off his connections
(b) To seduce her
(c) To get back at Larry
(d) To marry Mrs. Bradley
2. In which city does Elliott usually reside?
(b) New York
3. From which country does Kosti come?
4. How many times a week does Elliott see a doctor?
(a) Seven times
(d) Three times
5. In what state does Gray have a plantation?
(b) South Carolina
6. What does Gregory admit looks awful in Mrs. Bradley's house?
(a) Her paintings
(b) Her curtains
(c) Her furniture
(d) Her carpet
7. When does Maugham say the stock market crashes?
(b) The following November
(c) The following September
(d) The following October
8. How are Sophie's husband and daughter killed?
(a) Joint suicide
(b) They were murdered
(d) In a car accident
9. Where does Isabel ask Maugham to take them on his last night in Paris?
(a) Tough joints
(b) An opium den
(d) A posh restaurant
10. What two things does the author state he has changed in the book?
(a) Conversations and cities
(b) The chronological settings and names
(c) Names and conversations
(d) Cities and the age of characters
11. What is the name of Suzanne's daughter?
12. What does Larry say Sophie used to do when she was younger?
(a) Read and write poetry
(b) Skip school
(c) Play golf
(d) Write short stories
13. Who does the author sit next to at the dinner party?
(d) Mrs. Bradley
14. In what year does Elliott move to the French Riviera?
15. From what is Gray suffering when he goes out to dinner?
(a) A migraine
(b) A bad back
(c) A sprained ankle
(d) The flu
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason the author states he is writing the story?
2. Which character does Sophie sit next to at a dinner party twelve years before?
3. With whom does Suzanne move to Paris?
4. Who does Elliott tell Mrs. Bradley lives in London?
5. By whos is Gray and Isabel's house decorated?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)