|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author admit is part of his problem in writing the novel?
(a) He is writing about friends.
(b) He is writing about his secrets.
(c) He is writing about Paris.
(d) He is writing about an American.
2. Where is Maugham leaving for after his dinner with Elliott in Chicago?
(a) The Far East
(b) New Zealand
3. What does Larry find out that Kosti has studied?
(a) Film Art
4. Who says hello to Maugham in Cafe Du Dome?
(d) Mrs. Bradley
5. What is Patty's role in the war?
(a) A pilot
(b) A private
(c) A mechanic
(d) A machine gunner
6. Why does Maugham state it is difficult to write about people from another country?
(a) They cannot speak English.
(b) A foreigner always compares it to his own country.
(c) They rarely give accurate information.
(d) A foreigner can never understand them.
7. What is the first name of Gray's father?
8. What does the author immediately state his misgivings about?
(b) Writing the story
(c) Playing golf
(d) Going to Paris
9. Gray is made a partner in ______________.
(a) A clothes factory
(b) A bomb factory
(c) A decorating business
(d) A brokerage business
10. Where does Elliott tell Mrs. Bradley they should go for the rest of the season?
11. For what does Isabel ask the narrator to join her?
(a) A smoke
(b) A film
(c) An ice cream soda
(d) A theater performance
12. What is Larry's excuse for not eating lunch with Elliott?
(a) He has to loaf.
(b) He wants to write.
(c) He does not eat lunch.
(d) He does not like Elliott.
13. How often does Sophie say she is at the cafe?
(a) Every night
(b) Twice a week
(c) Every weekend
(d) Every monday
14. How is Isabel going to force Larry back to Chicago?
(a) Tell him she is having his baby
(b) Tell him there is no God
(c) Tell him people are laughing at him
(d) Tell him she is going to kill herself
15. Which is the only main character that Maugham says he still sees frequently?
(c) Mrs. Bradley
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the coaling town where Larry goes?
2. In what month of the year do Gray and Isabel get married?
3. How are Sophie's husband and daughter killed?
4. Who does the narrator meet for lunch?
5. With whom is Gray in love?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)