|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time of year do Mrs. Bradley and Isabel arrive in Paris?
2. Elliott arrange for Larry to sit next to _________.
(a) His mother
(b) A young Mexican woman
(d) An older Parisian woman
3. What does Gregory admit looks awful in Mrs. Bradley's house?
(a) Her furniture
(b) Her paintings
(c) Her curtains
(d) Her carpet
4. What reason does Larry give for being friends with Sophie?
(a) They both come from modest backgrounds.
(b) They are both lonely.
(c) They are both bullied.
(d) They are both shy.
5. What is the reason the author states he is writing the story?
(a) His friend's biographer will have useful information.
(b) He needs money.
(c) He needs people to understand.
(d) He wants to get over his depression.
6. Why does Maugham state it is difficult to write about people from another country?
(a) They cannot speak English.
(b) A foreigner always compares it to his own country.
(c) They rarely give accurate information.
(d) A foreigner can never understand them.
7. In what month does this chapter take place?
8. How many years has it been since Maugham last saw Isabel?
(a) Fifteen years
(b) Five years
(c) Ten years
(d) Three years
9. Why does Elliott arrange for Larry to sit next to the Parisian woman?
(a) To set up an affair
(b) To make Isabel jealous
(c) To get rid of her
(d) To conduct business
10. In what area of France is Lens located?
(a) Eastern France
(b) Southern France
(c) Western France
(d) Northern France
11. What is Larry's excuse for not eating lunch with Elliott?
(a) He does not like Elliott.
(b) He has to loaf.
(c) He does not eat lunch.
(d) He wants to write.
12. How are Sophie's husband and daughter killed?
(a) Joint suicide
(b) They were murdered
(c) In a car accident
13. How many times a week does Elliott see a doctor?
(b) Three times
(d) Seven times
14. From where does Larry get the $3,000?
(a) His parents
(b) The government
(c) The army
(d) His guardian
15. Why does Isabel say she does not go with Larry's plan to travel Europe?
(a) She wants to go home.
(b) She is scared.
(c) She wants Larry to get a job.
(d) She wants to have a baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Suzanne suffering from when she meets Larry for the first time?
2. In what state does Gray have a plantation?
3. What is the name of the coaling town where Larry goes?
4. Wjat does Kosti cheat at in this chapter?
5. In what city does Larry buy a new suit?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)