|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which city are Isabel and her family living?
(b) New York
2. To which organization does Elliott donate money?
(a) The orphanage
(b) The hospital
(c) The church
3. Which character do they meet in the cafe on Rue de Lappe?
4. Which is the only main character that Maugham says he still sees frequently?
(a) Mrs. Bradley
5. What does Maugham say he does not trust?
(b) Indian gurus
(c) Women's intuition
(d) Alcohol and drugs
6. By whos is Gray and Isabel's house decorated?
(a) Somerset Maugham
(b) David Maturin
(c) Gregory Brabazon
(d) Frank Sinclair
7. What character does Maugham reintroduce in this chapter?
(b) Suzanne Rouzier
(d) Henry Maturin
8. What is Patty's role in the war?
(a) A machine gunner
(b) A mechanic
(c) A pilot
(d) A private
9. What does Maugham say Isabel is wearing a mask of when she stares at Larry?
10. About shat does Larry say he is trying to find answers?
(a) God and the soul
(b) Patty's death
(c) His parents
(d) The meaning of marriage
11. How old is Elliott?
12. What does the author initially state he has not done?
(a) Based anything on the truth
(b) Included his wife in the story
(c) Invented or embellished anything
(d) Injected any humor
13. What cafe does Maugham go to in this chapter?
(a) Cafe Du Dome
(b) Cafe Le Sin
(c) Cafe Gourmet
(d) Cafe Paris
14. What kind of book is Larry reading in this chapter?
(a) A sports book
(b) A novel
(c) Psychology book
(d) A travel guide
15. Why does Mrs. Bradley decline to visit her brother's new home?
(a) She has no money.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She hates France.
(d) She thinks he is a snob.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does this chapter take place?
2. What is the name of Suzanne's daughter?
3. What does the author immediately state his misgivings about?
4. Who does Larry meets in Lens?
5. In what city does the narrator meet Elliott?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)