|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which country does Kosti come?
2. What is the name of the Irishman Larry makes friends with during the war?
3. Where does Maugham look for Larry?
4. What does the author admit is part of his problem in writing the novel?
(a) He is writing about his secrets.
(b) He is writing about Paris.
(c) He is writing about an American.
(d) He is writing about friends.
5. Wjat does Kosti cheat at in this chapter?
6. Why does Maugham state it is difficult to write about people from another country?
(a) They cannot speak English.
(b) A foreigner always compares it to his own country.
(c) They rarely give accurate information.
(d) A foreigner can never understand them.
7. In what city does Larry buy a new suit?
(d) New York
8. How long do Gray and Isabel wait for Larry to visit?
(a) Three days
(b) Four days
(c) A month
(d) Two weeks
9. In which city are Isabel and her family living?
(c) New York
10. With whom does Suzanne move to Paris?
(a) Her brother
(b) Her best friend
(c) Her mother
(d) An artist
11. How many years has it been since Maugham last saw Isabel?
(a) Five years
(b) Three years
(c) Ten years
(d) Fifteen years
12. Elliott arrange for Larry to sit next to _________.
(a) His mother
(c) A young Mexican woman
(d) An older Parisian woman
13. Which of the characters gives Elliott investment advice?
(b) Mrs. Bradley
(c) Gray Maturin
(d) Henry Maturin
14. How often does Sophie say she is at the cafe?
(a) Every weekend
(b) Every monday
(c) Twice a week
(d) Every night
15. What do the characters think has changed Larry?
(a) The war
(c) His job
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of Larry's body does Isabel stare at in this chapter?
2. About shat does Larry say he is trying to find answers?
3. What does the author initially state he has not done?
4. What country does Gray say he has visited?
5. Who can Isabel be introduced to in London?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)