|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Larry think it will take to find answers about God and the soul?
(a) Five to ten years
(b) Twelve years
(c) Two years
(d) Twenty years
2. What does Larry say will happen when he counts to 24?
(a) Gray's arm wil raise
(b) Gray's headache will disappear
(c) Gray will disappear
(d) Gray will fall asleep
3. How old is Suzanne when she moves to Paris?
4. Gray is made a partner in ______________.
(a) A clothes factory
(b) A bomb factory
(c) A decorating business
(d) A brokerage business
5. What is Patty's role in the war?
(a) A mechanic
(b) A machine gunner
(c) A pilot
(d) A private
6. Why is Kosti forced to leave the Polish army?
(a) He is a homosexual
(b) He stole money
(c) Because of a failed coup attempt
(d) He had an affair with the General's wife
7. At whose house does Eliott say they are having lunch?
(a) Louisa Bradley
(b) Mrs. Bradley
(c) Laurence Darrell
(d) Gregory Brabazon
8. What does Larry put into Gray's hand?
(a) A photograph
(b) A carrot
(c) A shark's tooth
(d) A coin
9. Which character identifies the narrator as Maugham?
(d) Mrs. Bradley
10. Gray Maturin id the son of _____________.
(a) A restaurant chain owner
(b) A hotel chain owner
(c) A millionaire broker
(d) A lawyer
11. Why does Larry state he leaves Paris?
(a) He is tired of books.
(b) He falls in love.
(c) He needescountry life.
(d) He wants to go home.
12. Where does Isabel ask Maugham to take them on his last night in Paris?
(a) A posh restaurant
(b) Tough joints
(d) An opium den
13. What does Gregory admit looks awful in Mrs. Bradley's house?
(a) Her carpet
(b) Her curtains
(c) Her furniture
(d) Her paintings
14. In what city does the narrator meet Elliott?
(d) New York
15. In what area of France is Lens located?
(a) Western France
(b) Southern France
(c) Northern France
(d) Eastern France
Short Answer Questions
1. Who assumes the position of narrator in this chapter?
2. How long after the stock market crash does this chapter begin?
3. How many times a week does Elliott see a doctor?
4. What is the reason the author states he is writing the story?
5. Which two characters does Maugham examine in this chapter?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)