|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 (sections i-v).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maugham state it is difficult to write about people from another country?
(a) A foreigner can never understand them.
(b) A foreigner always compares it to his own country.
(c) They rarely give accurate information.
(d) They cannot speak English.
2. What does the author initially state he has not done?
(a) Injected any humor
(b) Invented or embellished anything
(c) Based anything on the truth
(d) Included his wife in the story
3. In which city does Elliott usually reside?
(b) New York
4. Which character identifies the narrator as Maugham?
(b) Mrs. Bradley
5. About shat does Larry say he is trying to find answers?
(a) God and the soul
(b) The meaning of marriage
(c) His parents
(d) Patty's death
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Larry think that he and Isabel can live on per year?
2. With whom is Gray in love?
3. What does the author admit is part of his problem in writing the novel?
4. For what does Isabel ask the narrator to join her?
5. What is Patty's role in the war?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)