|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what mood does the author's wife arrive home in?
2. What does the author's wife say she has had a premonition about?
3. What does a traditional Buddhist funeral begin with?
4. What kind of beauty does Honjo appreciate?
5. Why does the author say he has to stop the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Honda's relative's react to the eulogy?
2. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
3. What does the narrator remember about his father?
4. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
5. Why does the narrator say he feels guilty?
6. How does the author end the story?
7. Why does Yasukichi write cliches and sentimental clap-trap in the eulogy?
8. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
9. Why does Akutagawa become so upset about the raincoat?
10. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author list Rashomon, In a Bamboo Grive and the Nose under the heading A World Under Decay? Choose one of the stories in this section and examine what it says about the flaws in human nature.
Essay Topic 3
What was the structure of feudal Japan? What problems does these author highlight about feudal Japan? What within the system does the author suggest created these problems?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)