|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yasukichi translate?
2. What does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator with?
3. What happened on April the fifth?
4. What is Fujita's rank in the army?
5. What has the narrator been hired to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
2. How do the Honda's relative's react to the eulogy?
3. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
4. Why does Shinsuke struggle to make friends?
5. What does the narrator remember about his father?
6. Describe the image at the river Shinsuke says affects him deeply.
7. How does Oshino try to control his kicking legs?
8. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
9. How does Tsuneko react to seeing her husband's horse legs?
10. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is death a constant theme throughout the book? In what way do the Japanese view death differently to other western cultures? Does the author share this view?
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between a novel and a short story in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author list Rashomon, In a Bamboo Grive and the Nose under the heading A World Under Decay? Choose one of the stories in this section and examine what it says about the flaws in human nature.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)