|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yasukichi feel when he realizes people like his eulogy?
2. Who was the next of the narrator's family to die?
3. Who does the author say he sees slaying a dragon?
4. Where does Hanzaburo wake up?
5. What does the story-teller say Hanaburo's legs collapse like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tsuneko react to seeing her husband's horse legs?
2. What does the doctor say is wrong with the baby?
3. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
4. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
5. How does Shinsuke deal with what he calls his fake parents?
6. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
7. What is Shinsuke's opinion on books?
8. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
9. Why does Shinsuke come to appreciate the fact his mother did not breast feed him?
10. What does the narrator say he remembers about his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare American and Japanese culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 2
What is the history of Christianity in Japan? Why did the Japanese find it so difficult to except the Christian faith? What do the stories express about how Japanese society viewed Christianity?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)