|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yasukichi fill the eulogy with?
2. What does the storyteller say frightens horses across the region?
3. What does Yasukichi feel when he realizes people like his eulogy?
4. What was the name of the founder of Rome?
5. What does Yasukichi translate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the life of the Stupid Man about?
2. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
3. What does Akutagawa hear on the phone?
4. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
5. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
6. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
7. How does Tsuneko react to seeing her husband's horse legs?
8. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
9. How do the Honda's relative's react to the eulogy?
10. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
What does the Rashomon gate symbolize in the story Rashomon? How does the gate reflect the servant's own state of mind?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is death a constant theme throughout the book? In what way do the Japanese view death differently to other western cultures? Does the author share this view?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)