|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the river Shinsuke visits with his father?
2. What was Akutagawa's brother-in-law wearing when he died?
3. What is the man sitting next to him on the train is wearing?
4. What kind style story is Spinning Gears?
5. What does Akutagawa panic about losing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the life of the Stupid Man about?
2. How do the Honda's relative's react to the eulogy?
3. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
4. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
5. How does Tsuneko react to seeing her husband's horse legs?
6. What does the doctor say is wrong with the baby?
7. What does the narrator remember about his father?
8. Why does Yasukichi write cliches and sentimental clap-trap in the eulogy?
9. What does Akutagawa hear on the phone?
10. How does Oshino try to control his kicking legs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How will O-Kim's life change now she has opened her eyes to real life? In what could be said that she be happier than she was?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
What does the reaction to Yasukichi's eulogy say about human nature? What does Yasukichi's still have to learn about human nature? In what way will the reaction to Yasikichi's eulogy improve his writing?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)