|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the narrator informed of his mother's death?
2. What does Hanzaburo tell his wife to do to stop his legs from kicking?
3. Who does Yasukichi work for?
4. What was Akutagawa's brother-in-law wearing when he died?
5. What is the title of the final story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the life of the Stupid Man about?
2. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
3. How does Tsuneko react to seeing her husband's horse legs?
4. Why does Oshino need new legs?
5. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
6. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
7. Why does Shinsuke come to appreciate the fact his mother did not breast feed him?
8. What does the doctor say is wrong with the baby?
9. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
10. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author list Rashomon, In a Bamboo Grive and the Nose under the heading A World Under Decay? Choose one of the stories in this section and examine what it says about the flaws in human nature.
Essay Topic 2
What was the structure of feudal Japan? What problems does these author highlight about feudal Japan? What within the system does the author suggest created these problems?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Xiao-er unable to take the second chance given to him? What does his character say about human nature in general? How could you argue against the author's point of view?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)