|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the next of the narrator's family to die?
2. What was the name of the founder of Rome?
3. What kind of milk was the founder of Rome raised on?
4. What does the storyteller say frightens horses across the region?
5. Who do the two Chinese Hanzaburo if he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Honda's relative's react to the eulogy?
2. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
3. Why does Yasukichi write cliches and sentimental clap-trap in the eulogy?
4. What does the narrator say he remembers about his mother?
5. Why does the narrator say he feels guilty?
6. Why does Shinsuke come to appreciate the fact his mother did not breast feed him?
7. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
8. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
9. Why does Akutagawa become so upset about the raincoat?
10. What is Shinsuke's opinion on books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does E'in falsely prophesize that a dragon will rise from the pond? What meaning does it give the story that his prophecy comes true? What would have happened if his lie was found out?
Essay Topic 2
What In the Bamboo Grove say about unreliable narration? How can the court get to the truth?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Xiao-er unable to take the second chance given to him? What does his character say about human nature in general? How could you argue against the author's point of view?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)