|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second story made up of?
2. What does Yasukichi enjoy writing?
3. Why does the author say he has to stop the story?
4. What does Shinsuke call the diary he wants to write?
5. What does the narrator say he does during his mother's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Akutagawa become so upset about the raincoat?
2. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
3. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
4. Why does Shinsuke struggle to make friends?
5. Why does Shinsuke come to appreciate the fact his mother did not breast feed him?
6. What does the narrator remember about his father?
7. What does Akutagawa hear on the phone?
8. What does the narrator say he remembers about his mother?
9. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
10. Why does Yasukichi write cliches and sentimental clap-trap in the eulogy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does E'in falsely prophesize that a dragon will rise from the pond? What meaning does it give the story that his prophecy comes true? What would have happened if his lie was found out?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Xiao-er unable to take the second chance given to him? What does his character say about human nature in general? How could you argue against the author's point of view?
Essay Topic 3
What does the Rashomon gate symbolize in the story Rashomon? How does the gate reflect the servant's own state of mind?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)