|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fujita's rank in the army?
2. What does Yasuckichi have to write for Lieutenant Honda?
3. What does Yasukichi feel when he realizes people like his eulogy?
4. What is Shinsuke very poor at when he is young?
5. What does the author apologize for at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
2. How does Shinsuke deal with what he calls his fake parents?
3. Why does Shinsuke come to appreciate the fact his mother did not breast feed him?
4. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
5. Why does Shinsuke struggle to make friends?
6. What is Shinsuke's opinion on books?
7. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
8. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
9. What does Akutagawa hear on the phone?
10. What is the life of the Stupid Man about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What information is in Henry Barrett's obituary? Why does the author include Henry Barrett's obituary at the end of Horse Legs?
Essay Topic 2
What does the Rashomon gate symbolize in the story Rashomon? How does the gate reflect the servant's own state of mind?
Essay Topic 3
What is the moral of the Spider Thread story? What does this moral of the story say about the Buddhist religion.?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)