|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Akutagawa give the textual fragments to?
2. What religious figure does the author thinks exists?
3. What does Yasukichi enjoy writing?
4. In what mood does the author's wife arrive home in?
5. What are the nationality of the two men in the office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
2. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
3. What are Shinsuke's views on beauty?
4. What does Akutagawa hear on the phone?
5. Why does Akutagawa become so upset about the raincoat?
6. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
7. How do the Honda's relative's react to the eulogy?
8. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
9. What does the narrator remember about his father?
10. How does Shinsuke deal with what he calls his fake parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the reaction to Yasukichi's eulogy say about human nature? What does Yasukichi's still have to learn about human nature? In what way will the reaction to Yasikichi's eulogy improve his writing?
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between a novel and a short story in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 3
What does the Loyalty story express about the Japanese Feudal system? How does the feudal system affect Shuri's decisions in the story?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)