|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Tsuneko at the end of the story?
2. What does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator with?
3. What does Hanzaburo die of?
4. What does Yasukichi translate?
5. What happened on April the fifth?
Essay Topic 1
What does the Rashomon gate symbolize in the story Rashomon? How does the gate reflect the servant's own state of mind?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author list Rashomon, In a Bamboo Grive and the Nose under the heading A World Under Decay? Choose one of the stories in this section and examine what it says about the flaws in human nature.
Essay Topic 3
Why does E'in falsely prophesize that a dragon will rise from the pond? What meaning does it give the story that his prophecy comes true? What would have happened if his lie was found out?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)