|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hanzaburo tell his wife to do to stop his legs from kicking?
2. What does Yasukichi translate?
3. Where does Hanzaburo wake up?
4. Who does Yasukichi hear crying?
5. What kind of beauty does Honjo appreciate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
2. What does the narrator say he remembers about his mother?
3. What happens to the baby?
4. Why does Oshino need new legs?
5. How does Tsuneko react to seeing her husband's horse legs?
6. What is the life of the Stupid Man about?
7. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
8. How do the Honda's relative's react to the eulogy?
9. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
10. Why does the narrator say he feels guilty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Compare American and Japanese culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 3
How does Shinsuke's upbringing affect his character? What does the story say about Akutagawa's own character and the themes he has expressed in his other stories?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)