|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say he does during his mother's funeral?
2. What does Hanzaburo tell his wife to do to stop his legs from kicking?
3. What is the man sitting next to him on the train is wearing?
4. Why does the author say he has to stop the story?
5. Who congratulates Yasukichi for his eulogy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
2. Why does Shinsuke come to appreciate the fact his mother did not breast feed him?
3. What is Shinsuke's opinion on books?
4. Why is it so difficult for Oshino to hide his legs?
5. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
6. How does Shinsuke deal with what he calls his fake parents?
7. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
8. How do the Honda's relative's react to the eulogy?
9. Why does the narrator say he feels guilty?
10. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between a novel and a short story in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 2
What was the structure of feudal Japan? What problems does these author highlight about feudal Japan? What within the system does the author suggest created these problems?
Essay Topic 3
Compare American and Japanese culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)