|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator go at the end of the story?
2. What are the nationality of the two men in the office?
3. What kind of milk was the founder of Rome raised on?
4. What is Shinsuke very poor at when he is young?
5. What is the only part of the author's brother-in-law's face that stays intact?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shinsuke come to appreciate the fact his mother did not breast feed him?
2. How does Tsuneko react to seeing her husband's horse legs?
3. What does Akutagawa hear on the phone?
4. What are Shinsuke's views on beauty?
5. Describe the image at the river Shinsuke says affects him deeply.
6. What does the narrator remember about his father?
7. Why does Akutagawa become so upset about the raincoat?
8. How does Oshino try to control his kicking legs?
9. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
10. Why does Oshino need new legs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Hell Screen express about art and the artist? What examples are there in popular culture of artists who too far?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Xiao-er unable to take the second chance given to him? What does his character say about human nature in general? How could you argue against the author's point of view?
Essay Topic 3
What is the moral of the Spider Thread story? What does this moral of the story say about the Buddhist religion.?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)