|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can't the narrator concentrate on writing his article?
2. How is the narrator informed of his mother's death?
3. What does Hanzaburo become obsessed with hiding?
4. What does Hanzaburo tell his wife to do to stop his legs from kicking?
5. What does Shinsuke blame for his lack of physical prowess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
2. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
3. Why is it so difficult for Oshino to hide his legs?
4. Describe the image at the river Shinsuke says affects him deeply.
5. How does Shinsuke deal with what he calls his fake parents?
6. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
7. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
8. What is the life of the Stupid Man about?
9. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
10. Why does the narrator say he feels guilty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between a novel and a short story in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 2
What does the reaction to Yasukichi's eulogy say about human nature? What does Yasukichi's still have to learn about human nature? In what way will the reaction to Yasikichi's eulogy improve his writing?
Essay Topic 3
What In the Bamboo Grove say about unreliable narration? How can the court get to the truth?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)