|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the storyteller say frightens horses across the region?
2. What does Shinsuke start to take a dislike of?
3. What does the narrator say he does during his mother's funeral?
4. What does Yasukichi feel when he realizes people like his eulogy?
5. What does Shinsuke blame for his lack of physical prowess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
2. How does the author end the story?
3. What does the narrator say he remembers about his mother?
4. How do the Honda's relative's react to the eulogy?
5. What is the life of the Stupid Man about?
6. What does the narrator remember about his father?
7. Why does the narrator say he feels guilty?
8. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
9. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
10. What are Shinsuke's views on beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between a novel and a short story in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 3
What information is in Henry Barrett's obituary? Why does the author include Henry Barrett's obituary at the end of Horse Legs?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)