|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of legs do the Chinese men give Hanzaburo?
2. Why does the author say he has to stop the story?
3. What does Shinsuke call the diary he wants to write?
4. What is Shinsuke very poor at when he is young?
5. What part of Tokyo was Shinsuke brought up in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Why is Xiao-er unable to take the second chance given to him? What does his character say about human nature in general? How could you argue against the author's point of view?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)