|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shinsuke very poor at when he is young?
2. What does the author apologize for at the beginning of the story?
3. What does Akutagawa think is imminent?
4. What does the storyteller say Hanzaburo's legs are covered with?
5. What does the storyteller say frightens horses across the region?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
2. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
3. What does the doctor say is wrong with the baby?
4. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
5. How does Shinsuke deal with what he calls his fake parents?
6. Why does Yasukichi write cliches and sentimental clap-trap in the eulogy?
7. Why does Akutagawa become so upset about the raincoat?
8. How does Oshino try to control his kicking legs?
9. What does the narrator remember about his father?
10. What does Akutagawa hear on the phone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Rashomon gate symbolize in the story Rashomon? How does the gate reflect the servant's own state of mind?
Essay Topic 2
What does the Hell Screen express about art and the artist? What examples are there in popular culture of artists who too far?
Essay Topic 3
What was the structure of feudal Japan? What problems does these author highlight about feudal Japan? What within the system does the author suggest created these problems?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)