|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author's wife say she has had a premonition about?
2. Whose obituary is printed at the end of the story?
3. What has the narrator been hired to write?
4. What was Akutagawa's brother-in-law wearing when he died?
5. What did Honda die from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
2. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
3. Why does Shinsuke struggle to make friends?
4. How does Tsuneko react to seeing her husband's horse legs?
5. How does the author end the story?
6. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
7. How does Oshino try to control his kicking legs?
8. How do the Honda's relative's react to the eulogy?
9. Why does Akutagawa become so upset about the raincoat?
10. What does the narrator remember about his eldest sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What In the Bamboo Grove say about unreliable narration? How can the court get to the truth?
Essay Topic 3
How does Shinsuke's upbringing affect his character? What does the story say about Akutagawa's own character and the themes he has expressed in his other stories?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)