|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yasuckichi have to write for Lieutenant Honda?
2. What does the young naval officer give Yasukichi to help him write the eulogy?
3. What kind of dresses did Hatsuku wear?
4. What is the man sitting next to him on the train is wearing?
5. What city was Shinsuke born in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
2. What is Shinsuke's opinion on books?
3. What does the doctor say is wrong with the baby?
4. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
5. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
6. Why does Akutagawa become so upset about the raincoat?
7. What are Shinsuke's views on beauty?
8. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
9. What does the narrator remember about his father?
10. Describe the image at the river Shinsuke says affects him deeply.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does E'in falsely prophesize that a dragon will rise from the pond? What meaning does it give the story that his prophecy comes true? What would have happened if his lie was found out?
Essay Topic 2
What In the Bamboo Grove say about unreliable narration? How can the court get to the truth?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between a novel and a short story in terms of the following?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)