|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Akutagawa's brother-in-law wearing when he died?
2. What is the name of the river Shinsuke visits with his father?
3. What is Yasukichi's job?
4. Where does the narrator go at the end of the story?
5. What does the author apologize for at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the image at the river Shinsuke says affects him deeply.
2. Why does Oshino need new legs?
3. What does the doctor say is wrong with the baby?
4. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
5. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
6. How does Oshino try to control his kicking legs?
7. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
8. What does the narrator remember about his father?
9. What happens to the baby?
10. How does the author end the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What does the Rashomon gate symbolize in the story Rashomon? How does the gate reflect the servant's own state of mind?
Essay Topic 3
What In the Bamboo Grove say about unreliable narration? How can the court get to the truth?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)