|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What painter does Akutagawa talk about?
2. What does Akutagawa call the girl he has an affair with?
3. What kind of dresses did Hatsuku wear?
4. Where does the narrator go at the end of the story?
5. What was Akutagawa's brother-in-law wearing when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it so difficult for Oshino to hide his legs?
2. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
3. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
4. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
5. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
6. Why does Shinsuke struggle to make friends?
7. What is Shinsuke's opinion on books?
8. What happens to the baby?
9. How does Shinsuke deal with what he calls his fake parents?
10. What does the doctor say is wrong with the baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare American and Japanese culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Xiao-er unable to take the second chance given to him? What does his character say about human nature in general? How could you argue against the author's point of view?
Essay Topic 3
What does the Loyalty story express about the Japanese Feudal system? How does the feudal system affect Shuri's decisions in the story?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)