|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the river Shinsuke visits with his father?
2. Who does Hanzaburo kick across the street?
3. What is Shinsuke's primary factor in determining whether someone is his friend?
4. What part of Tokyo was Shinsuke brought up in?
5. What happened on April the fifth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
2. What are Shinsuke's views on beauty?
3. Why does Akutagawa become so upset about the raincoat?
4. How does Shinsuke deal with what he calls his fake parents?
5. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
6. What happens to the baby?
7. Why does Shinsuke come to appreciate the fact his mother did not breast feed him?
8. Why does Oshino need new legs?
9. What does the doctor say is wrong with the baby?
10. Why does Yasukichi write cliches and sentimental clap-trap in the eulogy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What In the Bamboo Grove say about unreliable narration? How can the court get to the truth?
Essay Topic 2
What does the Hell Screen express about art and the artist? What examples are there in popular culture of artists who too far?
Essay Topic 3
What was the structure of feudal Japan? What problems does these author highlight about feudal Japan? What within the system does the author suggest created these problems?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)