|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator with?
2. What was Akutagawa's brother-in-law wearing when he died?
3. What does Shinsuke see floating in the river?
4. What are the nationality of the two men in the office?
5. What does the narrator is always looking over his shoulder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
2. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
3. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
4. What are Shinsuke's views on beauty?
5. What does the narrator remember about his eldest sister?
6. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
7. What does the narrator say he remembers about his mother?
8. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
9. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
10. Why does the narrator say he feels guilty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does E'in falsely prophesize that a dragon will rise from the pond? What meaning does it give the story that his prophecy comes true? What would have happened if his lie was found out?
Essay Topic 2
How will O-Kim's life change now she has opened her eyes to real life? In what could be said that she be happier than she was?
Essay Topic 3
What does the reaction to Yasukichi's eulogy say about human nature? What does Yasukichi's still have to learn about human nature? In what way will the reaction to Yasikichi's eulogy improve his writing?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)