|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the river Shinsuke visits with his father?
2. Why do the Chinese men panic?
3. What does the young naval officer give Yasukichi to help him write the eulogy?
4. What happens to Tseneko before she can see her husband's horse legs?
5. Who did Akutagawa give the textual fragments to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator remember about his eldest sister?
2. Why is it so difficult for Oshino to hide his legs?
3. What is the life of the Stupid Man about?
4. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
5. Why does Akutagawa become so upset about the raincoat?
6. What happens to the baby?
7. Why does Yasukichi write cliches and sentimental clap-trap in the eulogy?
8. What are Shinsuke's views on beauty?
9. What does Akutagawa hear on the phone?
10. What does the narrator remember about his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What In the Bamboo Grove say about unreliable narration? How can the court get to the truth?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is death a constant theme throughout the book? In what way do the Japanese view death differently to other western cultures? Does the author share this view?
Essay Topic 3
What does the reaction to Yasukichi's eulogy say about human nature? What does Yasukichi's still have to learn about human nature? In what way will the reaction to Yasikichi's eulogy improve his writing?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)