|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion do O-Gin's parents practise?
2. What kind of vegetables does O-Kimi see for sale?
3. What is Yoshihide caught stealing from the Lord?
4. What does the narrator say Yoshihide's painting fill one with?
5. What was Tajomaru caught with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kimura think Xiao-er went against his vow?
2. How does O-Gin become a Christian?
3. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Shino's daughter?
4. Why does Buddha decide to give Kandata a chance to redeem himself?
5. How does E'in try to avenge the townspeople?
6. How does Kandata fall back into Hell?
7. How does Tajomaru lure the couple into the bamboo grove?
8. Why does Lord Buddha say the thread broke?
9. Why does Kanazawa say he killed himself?
10. What emotion does Xiao-er feel as he rides away dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Xiao-er unable to take the second chance given to him? What does his character say about human nature in general? How could you argue against the author's point of view?
Essay Topic 2
What was the structure of feudal Japan? What problems does these author highlight about feudal Japan? What within the system does the author suggest created these problems?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is death a constant theme throughout the book? In what way do the Japanese view death differently to other western cultures? Does the author share this view?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)