|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Hell Screen, who is the servant a narrator for?
2. What is seppuku?
3. What position does the Lord promote Yoshihide's daughter to?
4. What kind of fake flower does O-Kimi have in her apartment?
5. Who is the Lord of Harikawa known to survived a battle with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumors does the narrator say surround the Lord of Harikawa?
2. How does the Lord kill Yoshihide's daughter?
3. Why does Lord Buddha say the thread broke?
4. Describe the character of O-Kimi.
5. Why does Kimura think Xiao-er went against his vow?
6. How does E'in try to avenge the townspeople?
7. How does the author describe Tanaka?
8. Describe the character of Shuri.
9. Describe the moment the dragon rises from the pond.
10. How does Zenchi reduce the size of his nose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author list Rashomon, In a Bamboo Grive and the Nose under the heading A World Under Decay? Choose one of the stories in this section and examine what it says about the flaws in human nature.
Essay Topic 2
What was the structure of feudal Japan? What problems does these author highlight about feudal Japan? What within the system does the author suggest created these problems?
Essay Topic 3
What information is in Henry Barrett's obituary? Why does the author include Henry Barrett's obituary at the end of Horse Legs?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)