|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Zenchi practice?
2. What are O-Kimi and Tanaka going to watch in the neighboring town?
3. Who does Xiao-er say he wants at his side as he dies?
4. What is O-Kimi's job?
5. What does Kanazawa use to kill himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
2. How does Tsuneko react to seeing her husband's horse legs?
3. How does Yoshihide show his over-protective attitude towards his daughter in this story?
4. How does E'in try to avenge the townspeople?
5. How did Xiao-er get his head chopped off?
6. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
7. What does the narrator remember about his father?
8. Why does Lord Buddha say the thread broke?
9. How does the Lord kill Yoshihide's daughter?
10. How does Oshino try to control his kicking legs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is death a constant theme throughout the book? In what way do the Japanese view death differently to other western cultures? Does the author share this view?
Essay Topic 3
What does the Rashomon gate symbolize in the story Rashomon? How does the gate reflect the servant's own state of mind?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)