|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sign say will ascend from the pond?
2. What is the name of the man O-Kimi falls in love with?
3. Why do people think Yoshihide can paint the fires of hell so well?
4. What does Shuri do to himself to atone for the murder he commits?
5. Who does Xiao-er say he wants at his side as he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kanazawa say he killed himself?
2. How are Shuri, Usaemon and other members of the Itakura family punished?
3. How does Tajomaru lure the couple into the bamboo grove?
4. How does E'in try to avenge the townspeople?
5. Describe the character of Yoshihide.
6. How does O-Gin become a Christian?
7. How does Kandata fall back into Hell?
8. Describe the character of O-Kimi.
9. Describe Shino's life.
10. How does the Lord agree to help Yoshihide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare American and Japanese culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 2
What In the Bamboo Grove say about unreliable narration? How can the court get to the truth?
Essay Topic 3
What does the reaction to Yasukichi's eulogy say about human nature? What does Yasukichi's still have to learn about human nature? In what way will the reaction to Yasikichi's eulogy improve his writing?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)