|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shino have to break to renounce her religion?
2. What does Kanazawa use to kill himself?
3. What famous knight does O-Kimi compare Tanaka to?
4. Who does E'in try to avenge in this story?
5. What does Zenchi use to pluck out the fat from the nose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say he remembers about his mother?
2. Why does the narrator say he feels guilty?
3. Describe the image at the river Shinsuke says affects him deeply.
4. What does the narrator remember about his father?
5. Why does Buddha decide to give Kandata a chance to redeem himself?
6. What is Shinsuke's opinion on books?
7. How does the author end the story?
8. What problems is the servant having in his life in Rashomon?
9. How does the Lord kill Yoshihide's daughter?
10. What does the narrator remember about his eldest sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between a novel and a short story in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is death a constant theme throughout the book? In what way do the Japanese view death differently to other western cultures? Does the author share this view?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)