|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two countries are fighting?
2. What does Shuri do to himself to atone for the murder he commits?
3. Who is Yoshihide over-protective of?
4. What grew in the field behind the house Xiao-er was brought up in?
5. What is wrong with Shuri?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Shino's life.
2. How does E'in try to avenge the townspeople?
3. How did Xiao-er get his head chopped off?
4. Why do the green onions affect O-Kimi so much?
5. Describe the moment the dragon rises from the pond.
6. What emotion does Xiao-er feel as he rides away dying?
7. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Shino's daughter?
8. Describe the character of Naigu Zenchi.
9. How are Shuri, Usaemon and other members of the Itakura family punished?
10. Why does the narrator believe the Lord chose to kill Yoshihide's daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What In the Bamboo Grove say about unreliable narration? How can the court get to the truth?
Essay Topic 2
How will O-Kim's life change now she has opened her eyes to real life? In what could be said that she be happier than she was?
Essay Topic 3
How does Shinsuke's upbringing affect his character? What does the story say about Akutagawa's own character and the themes he has expressed in his other stories?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)