|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tajomaru caught with?
2. Who does E'in try to avenge in this story?
3. What is Maejima Rin'emon's position in the house?
4. Who is the Lord of Harikawa known to survived a battle with?
5. Who makes the first testimony in the Bamboo Grove?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oshino need new legs?
2. Why does Lord Buddha say the thread broke?
3. What does the narrator say he remembers about his mother?
4. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
5. How do people react to the word about the dragon?
6. What does the doctor say is wrong with the baby?
7. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
8. How does the Lord agree to help Yoshihide?
9. Describe the character of O-Kimi.
10. Describe the character of Shuri.
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author list Rashomon, In a Bamboo Grive and the Nose under the heading A World Under Decay? Choose one of the stories in this section and examine what it says about the flaws in human nature.
Essay Topic 2
What was the structure of feudal Japan? What problems does these author highlight about feudal Japan? What within the system does the author suggest created these problems?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Xiao-er unable to take the second chance given to him? What does his character say about human nature in general? How could you argue against the author's point of view?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)