|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does O-Gin tell the police she has abandoned?
2. What does the sign say will ascend from the pond?
3. Who gives Zenchi the nose-shortening treatment?
4. What knocks Xiao off of his horse?
5. What is wrong with Shuri?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Lord kill Yoshihide's daughter?
2. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Shino's daughter?
3. Why does Kimura think Xiao-er went against his vow?
4. Describe the character of O-Kimi.
5. Why does Lord Buddha say the thread broke?
6. What does the servant find when he gets in the tower?
7. How does Zenchi reduce the size of his nose?
8. Why do the green onions affect O-Kimi so much?
9. What problems is the servant having in his life in Rashomon?
10. What rumors does the narrator say surround the Lord of Harikawa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What information is in Henry Barrett's obituary? Why does the author include Henry Barrett's obituary at the end of Horse Legs?
Essay Topic 2
How does Shinsuke's upbringing affect his character? What does the story say about Akutagawa's own character and the themes he has expressed in his other stories?
Essay Topic 3
What does the reaction to Yasukichi's eulogy say about human nature? What does Yasukichi's still have to learn about human nature? In what way will the reaction to Yasikichi's eulogy improve his writing?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)