|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man O-Kimi falls in love with?
2. What is the name of the main character in Horse Legs?
3. What religion does Shino convert to?
4. What is wrong with Shuri?
5. Why do people think Yoshihide can paint the fires of hell so well?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Shino's daughter?
2. How are Shuri, Usaemon and other members of the Itakura family punished?
3. Why does the narrator believe the Lord chose to kill Yoshihide's daughter?
4. What rumors does the narrator say surround the Lord of Harikawa?
5. What does the servant find when he gets in the tower?
6. Why does Kanazawa say he killed himself?
7. Describe the character of Shuri.
8. Why does O-Gin decide to renounce her faith?
9. How does Yoshihide show his over-protective attitude towards his daughter in this story?
10. Why does Lord Buddha say the thread broke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Shinsuke's upbringing affect his character? What does the story say about Akutagawa's own character and the themes he has expressed in his other stories?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Xiao-er unable to take the second chance given to him? What does his character say about human nature in general? How could you argue against the author's point of view?
Essay Topic 3
What information is in Henry Barrett's obituary? Why does the author include Henry Barrett's obituary at the end of Horse Legs?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)