|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator say Yoshihide watches his daughter burn?
2. What does the old woman say the dead woman try to sell snake meat as?
3. What did the woodcutter discover in the bamboo grove?
4. What was Tajomaru caught with?
5. Who is watching the scene from Paradise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the green onions affect O-Kimi so much?
2. How does Yoshihide show his over-protective attitude towards his daughter in this story?
3. How does O-Gin become a Christian?
4. How does Kandata fall back into Hell?
5. Why does O-Gin decide to renounce her faith?
6. What rumors does the narrator say surround the Lord of Harikawa?
7. How did Xiao-er get his head chopped off?
8. Describe the character of Shuri.
9. How does Tajomaru lure the couple into the bamboo grove?
10. Describe the moment the dragon rises from the pond.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the moral of the Spider Thread story? What does this moral of the story say about the Buddhist religion.?
Essay Topic 2
Compare American and Japanese culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 3
What does the Hell Screen express about art and the artist? What examples are there in popular culture of artists who too far?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)