|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people call Yoshihide behind his back?
2. Who does E'in try to avenge in this story?
3. What had the ghost been haunting that the Lord of Harikawa supposedly exorcised?
4. What does the Lord ask Yoshihide to paint?
5. What is the doctor says he he will give Shino's daughter a diagnosis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kandata fall back into Hell?
2. Why does Lord Buddha say the thread broke?
3. Why does Buddha decide to give Kandata a chance to redeem himself?
4. How does the Lord agree to help Yoshihide?
5. How does Tajomaru lure the couple into the bamboo grove?
6. Describe the character of Yoshihide.
7. Describe Shino's life.
8. How did Xiao-er get his head chopped off?
9. What emotion does Xiao-er feel as he rides away dying?
10. Why does the narrator believe the Lord chose to kill Yoshihide's daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the structure of feudal Japan? What problems does these author highlight about feudal Japan? What within the system does the author suggest created these problems?
Essay Topic 2
Why does E'in falsely prophesize that a dragon will rise from the pond? What meaning does it give the story that his prophecy comes true? What would have happened if his lie was found out?
Essay Topic 3
What is the moral of the Spider Thread story? What does this moral of the story say about the Buddhist religion.?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)