|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tajomaru caught with?
2. What is the the name of the woman character in Dr. Ogata Ryosai?
3. What is the young burning inside of?
4. What religion does Zenchi practice?
5. What kind of books does O-Kimi enjoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people react to the word about the dragon?
2. Why does Lord Buddha say the thread broke?
3. Describe Shino's life.
4. How does Zenchi reduce the size of his nose?
5. How does Yoshihide show his over-protective attitude towards his daughter in this story?
6. What emotion does Xiao-er feel as he rides away dying?
7. How does the Lord agree to help Yoshihide?
8. Why do the green onions affect O-Kimi so much?
9. What problems is the servant having in his life in Rashomon?
10. Describe the character of Yoshihide.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the history of Christianity in Japan? Why did the Japanese find it so difficult to except the Christian faith? What do the stories express about how Japanese society viewed Christianity?
Essay Topic 2
What information is in Henry Barrett's obituary? Why does the author include Henry Barrett's obituary at the end of Horse Legs?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)