|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor say Shino's daughter is suffering from?
2. Who does the priest say the man looked like?
3. What kind of animal does Yoshihide look and move like?
4. What does the author say is the most frightening tale about the Lord of Harikawa?
5. What does the Lord ask Yoshihide to paint?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the green onions affect O-Kimi so much?
2. Describe the character of Yoshihide.
3. How does Yoshihide show his over-protective attitude towards his daughter in this story?
4. Why does Kimura think Xiao-er went against his vow?
5. How does Kandata fall back into Hell?
6. How does the author describe Tanaka?
7. Describe the moment the dragon rises from the pond.
8. What emotion does Xiao-er feel as he rides away dying?
9. How does the Lord kill Yoshihide's daughter?
10. How does the Lord agree to help Yoshihide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between a novel and a short story in terms of the following?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the history of Christianity in Japan? Why did the Japanese find it so difficult to except the Christian faith? What do the stories express about how Japanese society viewed Christianity?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)