|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old woman say the dead woman try to sell snake meat as?
2. What is the young burning inside of?
3. For what reason does Shuri relinquish his title as Head of House?
4. What does the author say is the most frightening tale about the Lord of Harikawa?
5. Who does the Lord decide to burn inside the carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Naigu Zenchi.
2. How does the author describe Tanaka?
3. Describe the character of Shuri.
4. How does Tajomaru lure the couple into the bamboo grove?
5. How does O-Gin become a Christian?
6. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Shino's daughter?
7. How are Shuri, Usaemon and other members of the Itakura family punished?
8. Why do the green onions affect O-Kimi so much?
9. Why does Buddha decide to give Kandata a chance to redeem himself?
10. How did Xiao-er get his head chopped off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does E'in falsely prophesize that a dragon will rise from the pond? What meaning does it give the story that his prophecy comes true? What would have happened if his lie was found out?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is death a constant theme throughout the book? In what way do the Japanese view death differently to other western cultures? Does the author share this view?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between a novel and a short story in terms of the following?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)