|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the painter who created the Hell Screen?
2. Who is the second testimony from?
3. What kind of books does O-Kimi enjoy?
4. What kind of animal does Yoshihide look and move like?
5. What grew in the field behind the house Xiao-er was brought up in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator say he feels guilty?
2. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
3. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
4. Describe the character of Yoshihide.
5. What is Shinsuke's opinion on books?
6. How does E'in try to avenge the townspeople?
7. How do people react to the word about the dragon?
8. Describe the character of Naigu Zenchi.
9. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
10. How does Shinsuke deal with what he calls his fake parents?
Essay Topic 1
How does Shinsuke's upbringing affect his character? What does the story say about Akutagawa's own character and the themes he has expressed in his other stories?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare American and Japanese culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)