|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What forms over the pond just before the dragon rises?
2. What is Maejima Rin'emon's position in the house?
3. Where does the servant spend the night?
4. What is the name of O-Kimi's rival waitress?
5. What is the the name of the woman character in Dr. Ogata Ryosai?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kimura think Xiao-er went against his vow?
2. How did Xiao-er get his head chopped off?
3. How do people react to the word about the dragon?
4. What does the servant find when he gets in the tower?
5. Describe the moment the dragon rises from the pond.
6. How does the Lord agree to help Yoshihide?
7. How does the author describe Tanaka?
8. Describe the character of Naigu Zenchi.
9. Why does the narrator believe the Lord chose to kill Yoshihide's daughter?
10. What rumors does the narrator say surround the Lord of Harikawa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the structure of feudal Japan? What problems does these author highlight about feudal Japan? What within the system does the author suggest created these problems?
Essay Topic 2
Compare American and Japanese culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 3
What is the history of Christianity in Japan? Why did the Japanese find it so difficult to except the Christian faith? What do the stories express about how Japanese society viewed Christianity?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)