|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Shuri?
2. What does Xiao drop when something slams into his neck?
3. What forms over the pond just before the dragon rises?
4. What is Maejima Rin'emon's position in the house?
5. What does Yoshihide do after he completes his painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of O-Kimi.
2. How does E'in try to avenge the townspeople?
3. How does Tajomaru lure the couple into the bamboo grove?
4. How does the Lord kill Yoshihide's daughter?
5. What rumors does the narrator say surround the Lord of Harikawa?
6. How does the Lord agree to help Yoshihide?
7. How does Zenchi reduce the size of his nose?
8. What emotion does Xiao-er feel as he rides away dying?
9. Why does Lord Buddha say the thread broke?
10. How does Kandata fall back into Hell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
What does the reaction to Yasukichi's eulogy say about human nature? What does Yasukichi's still have to learn about human nature? In what way will the reaction to Yasikichi's eulogy improve his writing?
Essay Topic 3
What In the Bamboo Grove say about unreliable narration? How can the court get to the truth?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)