|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the doctor says he he will give Shino's daughter a diagnosis?
2. What does Buddha hang down into hell?
3. How is it claimed Sato was brought back to life?
4. What kind of books does O-Kimi enjoy?
5. Who does O-Gin tell the police she has abandoned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Shuri.
2. Why does Kimura think Xiao-er went against his vow?
3. What problems is the servant having in his life in Rashomon?
4. How does E'in try to avenge the townspeople?
5. Why does O-Gin decide to renounce her faith?
6. How are Shuri, Usaemon and other members of the Itakura family punished?
7. How does O-Gin become a Christian?
8. Why does Kanazawa say he killed himself?
9. How does the Lord kill Yoshihide's daughter?
10. Describe the character of O-Kimi.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Hell Screen express about art and the artist? What examples are there in popular culture of artists who too far?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is death a constant theme throughout the book? In what way do the Japanese view death differently to other western cultures? Does the author share this view?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)