|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old woman pluck hairs from?
2. What does Kanazawa use to kill himself?
3. What grew in the field behind the house Xiao-er was brought up in?
4. What does Zenchi feat when his nose reddens and swells?
5. What does the servant think he can do to survive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lord Buddha say the thread broke?
2. How are Shuri, Usaemon and other members of the Itakura family punished?
3. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Shino's daughter?
4. Why does Kanazawa say he killed himself?
5. How does the Lord agree to help Yoshihide?
6. Describe the character of O-Kimi.
7. What problems is the servant having in his life in Rashomon?
8. How do people react to the word about the dragon?
9. Why does O-Gin decide to renounce her faith?
10. How does Tajomaru lure the couple into the bamboo grove?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Xiao-er unable to take the second chance given to him? What does his character say about human nature in general? How could you argue against the author's point of view?
Essay Topic 2
What In the Bamboo Grove say about unreliable narration? How can the court get to the truth?
Essay Topic 3
What is the history of Christianity in Japan? Why did the Japanese find it so difficult to except the Christian faith? What do the stories express about how Japanese society viewed Christianity?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)