|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Yasukichi's job?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A dentist.
(d) A doctor.
2. Who does the author say he sees slaying a dragon?
(a) Sir Lancelot.
(b) St. George.
(c) King Arthur.
(d) The Monkey King.
3. Who do the two Chinese Hanzaburo if he is?
(a) Woodrow Wilson.
(b) Paul Potter.
(c) James Dean.
(d) Henry Barrett.
4. What is the name of the river Shinsuke visits with his father?
(a) Honjo River.
(b) Sumida River.
(c) Juniper River.
(d) Tomkins River.
5. Who regularly accepts Yakukichi's stories?
(a) An international publisher.
(b) A local literary magazine.
(c) A local newspaper.
(d) A national journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Yasukichi work for?
2. What does Akutagawa call the girl he has an affair with?
3. What does Shinsuke blame for his lack of physical prowess?
4. Who visits Tsuneko at the end of the story?
5. What serves as a symbol for Shinsuke's poverty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shinsuke struggle to make friends?
2. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
3. Why does Oshino need new legs?
4. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
5. How does Oshino try to control his kicking legs?
6. What is Shinsuke's opinion on books?
7. What does Akutagawa hear on the phone?
8. Why does Yasukichi write cliches and sentimental clap-trap in the eulogy?
9. Describe the image at the river Shinsuke says affects him deeply.
10. Why does Shinsuke come to appreciate the fact his mother did not breast feed him?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)