|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What painter does Akutagawa talk about?
(b) Van Gogh.
2. What does Akutagawa think is imminent?
(a) His death.
(b) An illness.
3. What does the narrator say his mother was?
(a) An angel.
(b) A star.
(c) A lunatic.
(d) A gorilla.
4. What does the storyteller say Hanzaburo's legs are covered with?
5. What is the name of the river Shinsuke visits with his father?
(a) Tomkins River.
(b) Honjo River.
(c) Sumida River.
(d) Juniper River.
Short Answer Questions
1. What become Shinsuke's primary pastime?
2. What kind of legs do the Chinese men give Hanzaburo?
3. What does the narrator is always looking over his shoulder?
4. What is Shinsuke very poor at when he is young?
5. What happens to Tseneko before she can see her husband's horse legs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it so difficult for Oshino to hide his legs?
2. What are Shinsuke's views on beauty?
3. What is the life of the Stupid Man about?
4. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
5. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
6. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
7. What does the narrator remember about his father?
8. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
9. What does the narrator remember about his eldest sister?
10. Why does the narrator say he feels guilty?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)