|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the two Chinese Hanzaburo if he is?
(a) Paul Potter.
(b) Woodrow Wilson.
(c) James Dean.
(d) Henry Barrett.
2. How is the narrator informed of his mother's death?
(a) By a messenger boy.
(b) By telegram.
(c) By letter.
(d) By his father.
3. What kind of legs do the Chinese men give Hanzaburo?
(a) Horse legs.
(b) Broken legs.
(c) Bow legs.
(d) Cow legs.
4. What does the author say he wants someone to do to him?
(a) Strangle the life from him.
(b) Hold him.
(c) Tell him nice things.
(d) Shoot him.
5. Where does Hanzaburo wake up?
(a) In his bed.
(b) At work.
(c) On top of a mountain.
(d) At his funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yasukichi feel when he realizes people like his eulogy?
2. Who did Akutagawa give the textual fragments to?
3. What does the story-teller say Hanaburo's legs collapse like?
4. What does Hanzaburo die of?
5. How did Akutagawa's brother-in-law kill himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oshino try to control his kicking legs?
2. What does the narrator remember about his eldest sister?
3. What is the life of the Stupid Man about?
4. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
5. How does Tsuneko react to seeing her husband's horse legs?
6. Why does Yasukichi write cliches and sentimental clap-trap in the eulogy?
7. Why is it so difficult for Oshino to hide his legs?
8. Why does Akutagawa become so upset about the raincoat?
9. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
10. How does the author end the story?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)