|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the man sitting next to him on the train is wearing?
(a) A pair of jeans.
(b) Shorts and a t-shirt.
(c) A rain coat.
(d) A suit.
2. What painter does Akutagawa talk about?
(a) Van Gogh.
3. What city was Shinsuke born in?
4. Whose obituary is printed at the end of the story?
(a) Henry Barrett's.
5. Who regularly accepts Yakukichi's stories?
(a) A national journal.
(b) A local newspaper.
(c) A local literary magazine.
(d) An international publisher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author use to help him sleep?
2. What does the initially doctor say is wrong with the narrator's baby?
3. What was Akutagawa's brother-in-law wearing when he died?
4. What does Hanzaburo die of?
5. How did Akutagawa's brother-in-law kill himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oshino need new legs?
2. Why does Akutagawa become so upset about the raincoat?
3. Why does Shinsuke come to appreciate the fact his mother did not breast feed him?
4. How does the author end the story?
5. What happens to the baby?
6. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
7. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
8. Why does Shinsuke struggle to make friends?
9. How do the Honda's relative's react to the eulogy?
10. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)