|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author hear a man mention that something is?
2. What does the storyteller say frightens horses across the region?
(a) Orange Dust.
(b) Green Smoke.
(c) Yellow Dust.
(d) White Smoke.
3. What does Hatsuku mean?
(a) First daughter.
(b) Free as a bird.
(d) Special one.
4. What has the narrator been hired to write?
(a) A short story.
(b) An article.
(c) A novel.
(d) A haiku.
5. What city does Akutagawa head towards at the beginning of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What painter does Akutagawa talk about?
2. What are the nationality of the two men in the office?
3. What did Honda die from?
4. What does Hanzaburo tell his wife to do to stop his legs from kicking?
5. What happened on April the fifth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
2. How does the author end the story?
3. Why does Yasukichi write cliches and sentimental clap-trap in the eulogy?
4. Why does Shinsuke come to appreciate the fact his mother did not breast feed him?
5. What does Akutagawa hear on the phone?
6. What does the narrator say he remembers about his mother?
7. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
8. Why does the narrator say he feels guilty?
9. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
10. What does the narrator remember about his eldest sister?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)