|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of beauty does Honjo appreciate?
(a) Natural beauty.
(b) Human beauty.
(c) Industrial beauty.
(d) Animalistic beauty.
2. What does the storyteller say Hanzaburo's legs are covered with?
3. What is the title of the final story?
(a) The Question of Art.
(b) The Life of a Stupid Man.
(c) Is it Worth it?
(d) Give Me your Hat.
4. Why does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator?
(a) To get him to ask his new parents to let him stay.
(b) To keep him quiet.
(c) To give him some money.
(d) To get him to run away with him.
5. Who regularly accepts Yakukichi's stories?
(a) A local newspaper.
(b) An international publisher.
(c) A local literary magazine.
(d) A national journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shinsuke see floating in the river?
2. Who does the author believe is chasing him?
3. What does Shinsuke call the diary he wants to write?
4. What does the narrator is always looking over his shoulder?
5. What kind of dresses did Hatsuku wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
2. What happens to the baby?
3. How does Shinsuke deal with what he calls his fake parents?
4. Why is it so difficult for Oshino to hide his legs?
5. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
6. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
7. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
8. What does the narrator remember about his eldest sister?
9. How does Tsuneko react to seeing her husband's horse legs?
10. What are Shinsuke's views on beauty?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)