|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of beauty does Honjo appreciate?
(a) Industrial beauty.
(b) Animalistic beauty.
(c) Human beauty.
(d) Natural beauty.
2. In what mood does the author's wife arrive home in?
3. What is Shinsuke very poor at when he is young?
4. Who does Hanzaburo kick across the street?
(a) His wife.
(b) A shop owner.
(c) A warrior.
(d) A rickshaw driver.
5. How did Akutagawa's brother-in-law kill himself?
(a) He slit his throat.
(b) He jumped off a bridge.
(c) He threw himself in front of a train.
(d) He hung himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the final story?
2. Who punishes Shinsuke for being smart?
3. What kind of milk was the founder of Rome raised on?
4. What does the author apologize for at the beginning of the story?
5. What is the name of the river Shinsuke visits with his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oshino try to control his kicking legs?
2. What does Akutagawa hear on the phone?
3. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
4. Why does Oshino need new legs?
5. Why is it so difficult for Oshino to hide his legs?
6. Why does Shinsuke come to appreciate the fact his mother did not breast feed him?
7. What does the narrator remember about his eldest sister?
8. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
9. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
10. How does the author end the story?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)