|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator's job?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A journalist.
(d) A writer.
2. What does Hanzaburo tell his wife to do to stop his legs from kicking?
(a) Bind them.
(b) Chop them off.
(c) Sit on them.
(d) Hold them.
3. What does a traditional Buddhist funeral begin with?
4. What is Fujita's rank in the army?
5. Whose obituary is printed at the end of the story?
(b) Henry Barrett's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Akutagawa's brother-in-law wearing when he died?
2. What does the narrator witness when he is 28?
3. What city does Akutagawa head towards at the beginning of the story?
4. What does Hanzaburo die of?
5. What does Shinsuke see floating in the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the Spinning Gears story.
2. Why does Akutagawa become so upset about the raincoat?
3. What does the doctor say is wrong with the baby?
4. Why does Yasukichi write cliches and sentimental clap-trap in the eulogy?
5. What does the narrator say he remembers about his mother?
6. How does Shinsuke deal with what he calls his fake parents?
7. Describe the image at the river Shinsuke says affects him deeply.
8. What are Shinsuke's views on beauty?
9. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
10. How does Oshino try to control his kicking legs?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)