|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What painter does Akutagawa talk about?
(c) Van Gogh.
2. What does Akutagawa call the girl he has an affair with?
(b) Crazy girl.
(d) Mad cow.
3. What does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator with?
(c) Ice cream.
4. What does the critic call Yasukichi's writings?
(a) Dull and techically awful.
(b) Spare-time jottings.
(d) Ramblings of a genuis.
5. What does Akutagawa think is imminent?
(a) His death.
(d) An illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the story-teller say Hanaburo's legs collapse like?
2. What does the narrator say he does during his mother's funeral?
3. Where does Hanzaburo wake up?
4. What does the narrator witness when he is 28?
5. What does Hanzaburo die of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
2. Why does Oshino need new legs?
3. Why is it so difficult for Oshino to hide his legs?
4. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
5. Why does the storyteller think Oshino is so ordinary?
6. Why does Shinsuke come to appreciate the fact his mother did not breast feed him?
7. What does the narrator remember about his father?
8. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
9. How does Shinsuke deal with what he calls his fake parents?
10. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)