|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yasukichi feel when he realizes people like his eulogy?
2. What does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator with?
(c) Ice cream.
3. What does the story-teller say Hanaburo's legs collapse like?
(a) A burst balloon.
(b) Shrivelled balloons.
(c) A bombed tower.
(d) A shot deer.
4. What does Yasukichi fill the eulogy with?
(a) Passionate word and jokes.
(b) Sincere sentiments and love.
(c) Sentimental claptrap and cliche.
(d) Family words and dark similes.
5. What did Honda die from?
(a) A stroke.
(b) A heart attack.
(c) A war wound.
(d) Typhoid fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shinsuke see floating in the river?
2. What does the author apologize for at the beginning of the story?
3. What kind style story is Spinning Gears?
4. What does the initially doctor say is wrong with the narrator's baby?
5. What is the narrator's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the doctor say is wrong with the baby?
2. What does the narrator remember about his eldest sister?
3. What amuses Yasukichi at the end of the story?
4. Why does Yasukichi write cliches and sentimental clap-trap in the eulogy?
5. How does Shinsuke deal with what he calls his fake parents?
6. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
7. How does the author end the story?
8. What are the author's feeling about religion during this time?
9. Why does Shinsuke struggle to make friends?
10. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)