|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hanzaburo tell his wife to do to stop his legs from kicking?
(a) Hold them.
(b) Chop them off.
(c) Bind them.
(d) Sit on them.
2. What does the story-teller say Hanaburo's legs collapse like?
(a) A bombed tower.
(b) A burst balloon.
(c) A shot deer.
(d) Shrivelled balloons.
3. What does Yasukichi translate?
(a) English texts.
(b) German texts.
(c) Spanish texts.
(d) Russian texts.
4. What does Akutagawa think is imminent?
(b) His death.
(c) An illness.
5. What does a traditional Buddhist funeral begin with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Akutagawa's brother-in-law wearing when he died?
2. What are the nationality of the two men in the office?
3. Where does the narrator go at the end of the story?
4. What does the young naval officer give Yasukichi to help him write the eulogy?
5. What is the second story made up of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oshino try to control his kicking legs?
2. Why is Oshino suddenly unable to control his legs?
3. What does the author's sister tell him about the death of her husband?
4. What does the Life of the Stupid Man say about Akutagawa's state of mind?
5. Why does Shinsuke struggle to make friends?
6. What does Akutagawa hear on the phone?
7. Why is it so difficult for Oshino to hide his legs?
8. What happens to the baby?
9. How does Akutagawa's wife increase his panic?
10. What is Shinsuke's opinion on books?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)