|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind style story is Spinning Gears?
(a) An epic poem.
(b) A melodrama.
(c) An autobiography.
(d) A biography.
2. What become Shinsuke's primary pastime?
3. What does the critic call Yasukichi's writings?
(a) Dull and techically awful.
(c) Spare-time jottings.
(d) Ramblings of a genuis.
4. What is the name of the river Shinsuke visits with his father?
(a) Sumida River.
(b) Tomkins River.
(c) Honjo River.
(d) Juniper River.
5. What does Hanzaburo tell his wife to do to stop his legs from kicking?
(a) Chop them off.
(b) Sit on them.
(c) Hold them.
(d) Bind them.
6. What kind of beauty does Honjo appreciate?
(a) Industrial beauty.
(b) Animalistic beauty.
(c) Human beauty.
(d) Natural beauty.
7. What does the author hear a man mention that something is?
8. What does the initially doctor say is wrong with the narrator's baby?
(a) It has consumption.
(b) It a bad tooth.
(c) It has the flu.
(d) It has an upset stomach.
9. What does Shinsuke see floating in the river?
(a) A dead person.
(b) A dead animal.
(c) A samarai shield.
(d) A pair of boots.
10. Why does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator?
(a) To get him to ask his new parents to let him stay.
(b) To keep him quiet.
(c) To give him some money.
(d) To get him to run away with him.
11. What word does the author hear over the phone?
12. What did Honda die from?
(a) A stroke.
(b) A war wound.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) Typhoid fever.
13. What does the storyteller say Hanzaburo's legs are covered with?
14. What is the only part of the author's brother-in-law's face that stays intact?
(a) His left eye.
(b) His nose.
(c) His mustache.
(d) His chin.
15. What kind of dresses did Hatsuku wear?
(a) Chinese dresses.
(b) Western style dresses.
(c) Far eastern dresses.
(d) Traditional dresses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second story made up of?
2. In what mood does the author's wife arrive home in?
3. How did Akutagawa's brother-in-law kill himself?
4. Who does Yasukichi work for?
5. What does the author apologize for at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)