|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can't the narrator concentrate on writing his article?
(a) He is worried.
(b) He is too tired.
(c) The baby is crying.
(d) His wife is nagging.
2. Whose obituary is printed at the end of the story?
(a) Henry Barrett's.
3. What does Shinsuke start to take a dislike of?
(b) University students.
(c) Posher people.
(d) Prettier parts of town.
4. What kind of beauty does Honjo appreciate?
(a) Animalistic beauty.
(b) Natural beauty.
(c) Industrial beauty.
(d) Human beauty.
5. What is the only part of the author's brother-in-law's face that stays intact?
(a) His nose.
(b) His left eye.
(c) His mustache.
(d) His chin.
6. What does the narrator witness when he is 28?
(a) The murder of his adoptive parents.
(b) The death of his father.
(c) A robbery.
(d) A car accident.
7. What is Sasaki's rank?
8. What is the narrator's job?
(a) A writer.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A journalist.
(d) A doctor.
9. Who congratulates Yasukichi for his eulogy?
(a) Honda's sister.
(c) Honda's father.
10. Who visits Tsuneko at the end of the story?
(a) The two Chinese men.
(b) Woodrow Wilson.
(c) Henry Barrett.
11. What does Akutagawa panic about losing?
(a) His cigarettes.
(b) His phone.
(c) His hat.
(d) His slipper.
12. What does the narrator is always looking over his shoulder?
(a) Lord Buddha.
(b) A male presence.
(c) An angel.
(d) A female presence.
13. Who did Akutagawa give the textual fragments to?
(a) Harold Bishop.
(b) Franz Kafka.
(c) Kume Masao.
(d) Akira Kia.
14. Who regularly accepts Yakukichi's stories?
(a) A national journal.
(b) A local newspaper.
(c) A local literary magazine.
(d) An international publisher.
15. What is Shinsuke's primary factor in determining whether someone is his friend?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind style story is Spinning Gears?
2. What does Yasuckichi have to write for Lieutenant Honda?
3. What does the narrator say he does during his mother's funeral?
4. What does Akutagawa think is imminent?
5. What does the critic call Yasukichi's writings?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)