|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Tokyo was Shinsuke brought up in?
2. What does the author apologize for at the beginning of the story?
(a) That he he has to tell such a tired tale.
(b) That such an ordinary man is the protaganist.
(c) That he may may make the reader feel sick.
(d) That his memory is not the best.
3. What does the narrator is always looking over his shoulder?
(a) An angel.
(b) Lord Buddha.
(c) A male presence.
(d) A female presence.
4. What does the young naval officer give Yasukichi to help him write the eulogy?
(a) Letters from Honda's friends.
(b) A naval schedule.
(c) A photo album.
(d) Honda's biography.
5. What kind style story is Spinning Gears?
(a) An epic poem.
(b) An autobiography.
(c) A melodrama.
(d) A biography.
6. What religious figure does the author thinks exists?
(a) Jesus Christ.
(b) Angel Michael.
(c) The Devil
(d) Angel Gabriel.
7. What does Hanzaburo die of?
(a) A seizure.
(c) Typhoid fever.
(d) A stroke.
8. What kind of milk was Shinsuke raised on?
(a) Cat's milk.
(b) Cow's milk.
(c) Wolf's milk.
(d) Goat's milk.
9. What does Hanzaburo tell his wife to do to stop his legs from kicking?
(a) Sit on them.
(b) Bind them.
(c) Hold them.
(d) Chop them off.
10. What does Akutagawa panic about losing?
(a) His hat.
(b) His slipper.
(c) His cigarettes.
(d) His phone.
11. What does Shinsuke see floating in the river?
(a) A pair of boots.
(b) A dead animal.
(c) A dead person.
(d) A samarai shield.
12. What is Shinsuke very poor at when he is young?
13. What does Akutagawa call the girl he has an affair with?
(a) Mad cow.
(c) Crazy girl.
14. What can't the narrator concentrate on writing his article?
(a) He is too tired.
(b) He is worried.
(c) The baby is crying.
(d) His wife is nagging.
15. Why do the Chinese men panic?
(a) They have lost their documents.
(b) They have forgotten to meet Buddha.
(c) They have killed the wrong man.
(d) They given Hanzaburo the wrong legs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yasukichi feel when he realizes people like his eulogy?
2. What does the narrator say his mother was?
3. What is Yasukichi's job?
4. What does Hatsuku mean?
5. What is the title of the final story?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)