|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say he wants someone to do to him?
(a) Tell him nice things.
(b) Hold him.
(c) Strangle the life from him.
(d) Shoot him.
2. Where does Hanzaburo wake up?
(a) At his funeral.
(b) At work.
(c) In his bed.
(d) On top of a mountain.
3. What does the critic call Yasukichi's writings?
(a) Spare-time jottings.
(c) Dull and techically awful.
(d) Ramblings of a genuis.
4. What does the narrator witness when he is 28?
(a) The death of his father.
(b) A car accident.
(c) The murder of his adoptive parents.
(d) A robbery.
5. Who does Yasukichi hear crying?
(a) Honda's brother.
(b) Admiral Sasaki.
(d) Honda's sister.
6. Whose obituary is printed at the end of the story?
(c) Henry Barrett's.
7. Who did Akutagawa give the textual fragments to?
(a) Harold Bishop.
(b) Akira Kia.
(c) Kume Masao.
(d) Franz Kafka.
8. Why do the Chinese men panic?
(a) They have forgotten to meet Buddha.
(b) They have lost their documents.
(c) They have killed the wrong man.
(d) They given Hanzaburo the wrong legs.
9. What does Yasuckichi have to write for Lieutenant Honda?
(a) A biography.
(b) A poem.
(c) A report.
(d) An eulogy.
10. What does Hanzaburo die of?
(a) A stroke.
(b) A seizure.
(c) Typhoid fever.
11. What does Yasukichi fill the eulogy with?
(a) Sentimental claptrap and cliche.
(b) Family words and dark similes.
(c) Passionate word and jokes.
(d) Sincere sentiments and love.
12. What does Shinsuke call the diary he wants to write?
(a) Diary without Self-Deceit.
(b) Diary of Hope.
(c) Poverty Pourings.
(d) The Diary of the Forgotten.
13. What serves as a symbol for Shinsuke's poverty?
(a) His pants.
(b) His house.
(c) His desk.
(d) His shoes.
14. What is Shinsuke's primary factor in determining whether someone is his friend?
15. What does Akutagawa call the girl he has an affair with?
(a) Mad cow.
(d) Crazy girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fujita's rank in the army?
2. What is Shinsuke very poor at when he is young?
3. What is the man sitting next to him on the train is wearing?
4. What become Shinsuke's primary pastime?
5. What does the author use to help him sleep?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)