|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the river Shinsuke visits with his father?
(a) Tomkins River.
(b) Sumida River.
(c) Juniper River.
(d) Honjo River.
2. What is Sasaki's rank?
3. What does the story-teller say Hanaburo's legs collapse like?
(a) Shrivelled balloons.
(b) A bombed tower.
(c) A shot deer.
(d) A burst balloon.
4. Who did Akutagawa give the textual fragments to?
(a) Akira Kia.
(b) Kume Masao.
(c) Harold Bishop.
(d) Franz Kafka.
5. Where does the narrator go at the end of the story?
(a) The hospital.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) The cemetary.
(d) A gentleman's club.
6. What did Honda die from?
(a) A stroke.
(b) A war wound.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) Typhoid fever.
7. What does the author say he wants someone to do to him?
(a) Hold him.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Tell him nice things.
(d) Strangle the life from him.
8. Who visits Tsuneko at the end of the story?
(a) Woodrow Wilson.
(b) The two Chinese men.
(d) Henry Barrett.
9. What does Akutagawa call the girl he has an affair with?
(a) Mad cow.
(d) Crazy girl.
10. What can't the narrator concentrate on writing his article?
(a) The baby is crying.
(b) He is worried.
(c) He is too tired.
(d) His wife is nagging.
11. What has the narrator been hired to write?
(a) An article.
(b) A haiku.
(c) A novel.
(d) A short story.
12. What happened on April the fifth?
(a) Hatsuko died.
(b) The narrators arrived home.
(c) The narrator's mother died.
(d) The narrator was adopted.
13. What does Yasukichi fill the eulogy with?
(a) Sincere sentiments and love.
(b) Sentimental claptrap and cliche.
(c) Passionate word and jokes.
(d) Family words and dark similes.
14. What is Shinsuke very poor at when he is young?
15. What does the author apologize for at the beginning of the story?
(a) That his memory is not the best.
(b) That he he has to tell such a tired tale.
(c) That he may may make the reader feel sick.
(d) That such an ordinary man is the protaganist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of legs do the Chinese men give Hanzaburo?
2. What does the narrator is always looking over his shoulder?
3. What does the storyteller say frightens horses across the region?
4. What is the second story made up of?
5. What city does Akutagawa head towards at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)