|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator with?
(b) Ice cream.
2. How is the narrator informed of his mother's death?
(a) By telegram.
(b) By letter.
(c) By his father.
(d) By a messenger boy.
3. Who regularly accepts Yakukichi's stories?
(a) A national journal.
(b) A local newspaper.
(c) An international publisher.
(d) A local literary magazine.
4. What is the name of the river Shinsuke visits with his father?
(a) Honjo River.
(b) Tomkins River.
(c) Juniper River.
(d) Sumida River.
5. What does the narrator is always looking over his shoulder?
(a) A male presence.
(b) Lord Buddha.
(c) A female presence.
(d) An angel.
6. What become Shinsuke's primary pastime?
7. What does Hanzaburo tell his wife to do to stop his legs from kicking?
(a) Sit on them.
(b) Bind them.
(c) Chop them off.
(d) Hold them.
8. Who does the narrator say was a troublemaker?
(a) His father.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
9. What happened on April the fifth?
(a) The narrator's mother died.
(b) The narrator was adopted.
(c) Hatsuko died.
(d) The narrators arrived home.
10. What does a traditional Buddhist funeral begin with?
11. What kind style story is Spinning Gears?
(a) An autobiography.
(b) A melodrama.
(c) An epic poem.
(d) A biography.
12. What part of Tokyo was Shinsuke brought up in?
13. What does Shinsuke say his parents fake?
(b) A better upbringing.
(c) A low stature.
14. Where does the narrator go at the end of the story?
(a) A gentleman's club.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The cemetary.
(d) A restaurant.
15. What does Shinsuke start to take a dislike of?
(b) Posher people.
(c) Prettier parts of town.
(d) University students.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the nationality of the two men in the office?
2. What does Yasuckichi have to write for Lieutenant Honda?
3. What does Shinsuke see floating in the river?
4. Who was the next of the narrator's family to die?
5. What does Hatsuku mean?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)