|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hanzaburo become obsessed with hiding?
(a) His legs.
(b) His will.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His money.
2. What does the storyteller say frightens horses across the region?
(a) Yellow Dust.
(b) White Smoke.
(c) Orange Dust.
(d) Green Smoke.
3. What is the only part of the author's brother-in-law's face that stays intact?
(a) His chin.
(b) His left eye.
(c) His nose.
(d) His mustache.
4. What does Yasukichi fill the eulogy with?
(a) Passionate word and jokes.
(b) Family words and dark similes.
(c) Sentimental claptrap and cliche.
(d) Sincere sentiments and love.
5. What does Shinsuke see floating in the river?
(a) A dead animal.
(b) A samarai shield.
(c) A pair of boots.
(d) A dead person.
6. Who punishes Shinsuke for being smart?
(a) His school friends.
(b) His parents.
(c) His siblings.
(d) His teachers.
7. Whose obituary is printed at the end of the story?
(a) Henry Barrett's.
8. What become Shinsuke's primary pastime?
9. What part of Tokyo was Shinsuke brought up in?
10. Who was the next of the narrator's family to die?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His eldest sister.
(c) His father.
(d) His youngest brother.
11. What kind of beauty does Honjo appreciate?
(a) Natural beauty.
(b) Animalistic beauty.
(c) Industrial beauty.
(d) Human beauty.
12. Why does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator?
(a) To give him some money.
(b) To get him to ask his new parents to let him stay.
(c) To keep him quiet.
(d) To get him to run away with him.
13. What does a traditional Buddhist funeral begin with?
14. What did Honda die from?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) A war wound.
(c) Typhoid fever.
(d) A stroke.
15. What is the narrator's job?
(a) A journalist.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened on April the fifth?
2. What is the title of the final story?
3. What kind of legs do the Chinese men give Hanzaburo?
4. What does the author hear a man mention that something is?
5. Who congratulates Yasukichi for his eulogy?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)