|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author use to help him sleep?
(b) Milk and honey.
(c) Sleeping pills.
2. What is the only part of the author's brother-in-law's face that stays intact?
(a) His nose.
(b) His mustache.
(c) His left eye.
(d) His chin.
3. What is the second story made up of?
(b) Diary entries.
(d) Textual fragments.
4. What city was Shinsuke born in?
5. What does the author hear a man mention that something is?
6. What does Akutagawa panic about losing?
(a) His cigarettes.
(b) His hat.
(c) His slipper.
(d) His phone.
7. What does the storyteller say frightens horses across the region?
(a) White Smoke.
(b) Yellow Dust.
(c) Orange Dust.
(d) Green Smoke.
8. What does Hatsuku mean?
(a) Free as a bird.
(b) Special one.
(c) First daughter.
9. What does the author say he wants someone to do to him?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Tell him nice things.
(c) Strangle the life from him.
(d) Hold him.
10. What does Shinsuke blame for his lack of physical prowess?
(a) His strict education.
(b) His poor posture.
(c) His lack of mother's milk.
(d) His father hitting him.
11. What kind of milk was Shinsuke raised on?
(a) Cat's milk.
(b) Wolf's milk.
(c) Cow's milk.
(d) Goat's milk.
12. What was the name of the founder of Rome?
13. What does Shinsuke see floating in the river?
(a) A samarai shield.
(b) A dead animal.
(c) A pair of boots.
(d) A dead person.
14. What does Yasukichi fill the eulogy with?
(a) Sincere sentiments and love.
(b) Passionate word and jokes.
(c) Family words and dark similes.
(d) Sentimental claptrap and cliche.
15. What can't the narrator concentrate on writing his article?
(a) The baby is crying.
(b) He is worried.
(c) His wife is nagging.
(d) He is too tired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does the author hear over the phone?
2. What does the story-teller say Hanaburo's legs collapse like?
3. What is Sasaki's rank?
4. In what mood does the author's wife arrive home in?
5. Who visits Tsuneko at the end of the story?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)