|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author hear a man mention that something is?
2. What does a traditional Buddhist funeral begin with?
3. What does Akutagawa think is imminent?
(c) An illness.
(d) His death.
4. What does Hanzaburo become obsessed with hiding?
(a) His will.
(b) His legs.
(c) His money.
(d) His eyes.
5. What does Hatsuku mean?
(a) Free as a bird.
(b) First daughter.
(c) Special one.
6. Whose obituary is printed at the end of the story?
(c) Henry Barrett's.
7. What does Yasukichi enjoy writing?
(a) Short stories.
8. What is the second story made up of?
(a) Diary entries.
(c) Textual fragments.
9. What does the story-teller say Hanaburo's legs collapse like?
(a) A burst balloon.
(b) A shot deer.
(c) Shrivelled balloons.
(d) A bombed tower.
10. What does Shinsuke start to take a dislike of?
(a) University students.
(b) Posher people.
(c) Prettier parts of town.
11. Why does the author say he has to stop the story?
(a) His wife is calling him.
(b) He is full of despair.
(c) His ink is running out.
(d) He has to sleep.
12. Who was the next of the narrator's family to die?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His father.
(c) His youngest brother.
(d) His eldest sister.
13. What is the man sitting next to him on the train is wearing?
(a) Shorts and a t-shirt.
(b) A pair of jeans.
(c) A rain coat.
(d) A suit.
14. Why does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator?
(a) To keep him quiet.
(b) To get him to ask his new parents to let him stay.
(c) To give him some money.
(d) To get him to run away with him.
15. What does the author say he wants someone to do to him?
(a) Strangle the life from him.
(b) Tell him nice things.
(c) Hold him.
(d) Shoot him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author use to help him sleep?
2. What are the nationality of the two men in the office?
3. What serves as a symbol for Shinsuke's poverty?
4. What has the narrator been hired to write?
5. What does the initially doctor say is wrong with the narrator's baby?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)