|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator with?
(b) Ice cream.
2. What painter does Akutagawa talk about?
(c) Van Gogh.
3. Who does Yasukichi work for?
(a) The Japanese Paratroopers.
(b) The Naval Engineering School.
(c) The British Council.
(d) The Japanese Goverment.
4. What does Akutagawa panic about losing?
(a) His hat.
(b) His cigarettes.
(c) His phone.
(d) His slipper.
5. In what mood does the author's wife arrive home in?
6. Who does the narrator say was a troublemaker?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
7. Who congratulates Yasukichi for his eulogy?
(b) Honda's father.
(d) Honda's sister.
8. What are the nationality of the two men in the office?
9. What does the author apologize for at the beginning of the story?
(a) That such an ordinary man is the protaganist.
(b) That he he has to tell such a tired tale.
(c) That his memory is not the best.
(d) That he may may make the reader feel sick.
10. What become Shinsuke's primary pastime?
11. What is the second story made up of?
(b) Diary entries.
(c) Textual fragments.
12. What does Shinsuke blame for his lack of physical prowess?
(a) His strict education.
(b) His lack of mother's milk.
(c) His poor posture.
(d) His father hitting him.
13. What does Shinsuke call the diary he wants to write?
(a) Poverty Pourings.
(b) Diary of Hope.
(c) The Diary of the Forgotten.
(d) Diary without Self-Deceit.
14. What does Shinsuke start to take a dislike of?
(a) Prettier parts of town.
(b) Posher people.
(d) University students.
15. Where does Hanzaburo wake up?
(a) On top of a mountain.
(b) In his bed.
(c) At his funeral.
(d) At work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the founder of Rome?
2. What kind of dresses did Hatsuku wear?
3. Who did Akutagawa give the textual fragments to?
4. What does Hanzaburo die of?
5. What does Hanzaburo become obsessed with hiding?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)