|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the narrator informed of his mother's death?
(a) By letter.
(b) By a messenger boy.
(c) By telegram.
(d) By his father.
2. What is the man sitting next to him on the train is wearing?
(a) Shorts and a t-shirt.
(b) A pair of jeans.
(c) A suit.
(d) A rain coat.
3. What religious figure does the author thinks exists?
(a) Angel Michael.
(b) Angel Gabriel.
(c) The Devil
(d) Jesus Christ.
4. Who does the author believe is chasing him?
5. Why does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator?
(a) To get him to run away with him.
(b) To keep him quiet.
(c) To get him to ask his new parents to let him stay.
(d) To give him some money.
6. What kind of legs do the Chinese men give Hanzaburo?
(a) Bow legs.
(b) Cow legs.
(c) Horse legs.
(d) Broken legs.
7. Who does Hanzaburo kick across the street?
(a) His wife.
(b) A rickshaw driver.
(c) A warrior.
(d) A shop owner.
8. Who regularly accepts Yakukichi's stories?
(a) A local literary magazine.
(b) An international publisher.
(c) A local newspaper.
(d) A national journal.
9. What does the narrator say his mother was?
(a) A lunatic.
(b) A gorilla.
(c) A star.
(d) An angel.
10. What is the baby taken to the hospital in?
(a) A taxi.
(b) A rickshaw.
(c) An airplane.
(d) An ambulance.
11. Whose obituary is printed at the end of the story?
(a) Henry Barrett's.
12. What is the narrator's job?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A journalist.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A writer.
13. What does Yasukichi enjoy writing?
(d) Short stories.
14. What painter does Akutagawa talk about?
(a) Van Gogh.
15. What is the name of the river Shinsuke visits with his father?
(a) Juniper River.
(b) Tomkins River.
(c) Sumida River.
(d) Honjo River.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Yasukichi work for?
2. Who did Akutagawa give the textual fragments to?
3. What word does the author hear over the phone?
4. What does Hanzaburo die of?
5. What does Yasuckichi have to write for Lieutenant Honda?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)