|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shinsuke call the diary he wants to write?
(a) The Diary of the Forgotten.
(b) Diary without Self-Deceit.
(c) Diary of Hope.
(d) Poverty Pourings.
2. What does Yasukichi translate?
(a) Spanish texts.
(b) English texts.
(c) German texts.
(d) Russian texts.
3. What is the name of the river Shinsuke visits with his father?
(a) Sumida River.
(b) Tomkins River.
(c) Honjo River.
(d) Juniper River.
4. What word does the author hear over the phone?
5. Who does the author say he sees slaying a dragon?
(a) St. George.
(b) King Arthur.
(c) The Monkey King.
(d) Sir Lancelot.
6. Who does Yasukichi work for?
(a) The British Council.
(b) The Japanese Paratroopers.
(c) The Japanese Goverment.
(d) The Naval Engineering School.
7. What does Hanzaburo become obsessed with hiding?
(a) His will.
(b) His legs.
(c) His money.
(d) His eyes.
8. What painter does Akutagawa talk about?
(b) Van Gogh.
9. What does Akutagawa panic about losing?
(a) His hat.
(b) His slipper.
(c) His phone.
(d) His cigarettes.
10. How is the narrator informed of his mother's death?
(a) By his father.
(b) By a messenger boy.
(c) By letter.
(d) By telegram.
11. What does the author use to help him sleep?
(b) Milk and honey.
(c) Sleeping pills.
12. What does the author hear a man mention that something is?
13. What is Shinsuke's primary factor in determining whether someone is his friend?
14. What does the critic call Yasukichi's writings?
(b) Ramblings of a genuis.
(c) Dull and techically awful.
(d) Spare-time jottings.
15. What kind of dresses did Hatsuku wear?
(a) Western style dresses.
(b) Far eastern dresses.
(c) Traditional dresses.
(d) Chinese dresses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator is always looking over his shoulder?
2. What does the author apologize for at the beginning of the story?
3. Who regularly accepts Yakukichi's stories?
4. Who does Hanzaburo kick across the street?
5. What city was Shinsuke born in?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)