|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yasukichi fill the eulogy with?
(a) Sincere sentiments and love.
(b) Sentimental claptrap and cliche.
(c) Passionate word and jokes.
(d) Family words and dark similes.
2. How is the narrator informed of his mother's death?
(a) By his father.
(b) By telegram.
(c) By letter.
(d) By a messenger boy.
3. What does Akutagawa think is imminent?
(a) An illness.
(d) His death.
4. What does Hatsuku mean?
(a) Free as a bird.
(c) Special one.
(d) First daughter.
5. What does Shinsuke blame for his lack of physical prowess?
(a) His strict education.
(b) His father hitting him.
(c) His poor posture.
(d) His lack of mother's milk.
6. What does the author say he wants someone to do to him?
(a) Hold him.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Strangle the life from him.
(d) Tell him nice things.
7. What kind of beauty does Honjo appreciate?
(a) Animalistic beauty.
(b) Human beauty.
(c) Industrial beauty.
(d) Natural beauty.
8. What become Shinsuke's primary pastime?
9. What does Akutagawa panic about losing?
(a) His hat.
(b) His slipper.
(c) His phone.
(d) His cigarettes.
10. What are the nationality of the two men in the office?
11. What is the title of the final story?
(a) The Life of a Stupid Man.
(b) Give Me your Hat.
(c) Is it Worth it?
(d) The Question of Art.
12. What does Shinsuke call the diary he wants to write?
(a) Diary without Self-Deceit.
(b) The Diary of the Forgotten.
(c) Diary of Hope.
(d) Poverty Pourings.
13. What does Yasuckichi have to write for Lieutenant Honda?
(a) A biography.
(b) A poem.
(c) An eulogy.
(d) A report.
14. Who does Yasukichi work for?
(a) The Naval Engineering School.
(b) The Japanese Goverment.
(c) The Japanese Paratroopers.
(d) The British Council.
15. Who does the narrator say was a troublemaker?
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shinsuke see floating in the river?
2. Who punishes Shinsuke for being smart?
3. What is the only part of the author's brother-in-law's face that stays intact?
4. What does the author use to help him sleep?
5. What is Yasukichi's job?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)