|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hanzaburo die of?
(a) Typhoid fever.
(b) A stroke.
(d) A seizure.
2. Why do the Chinese men panic?
(a) They have killed the wrong man.
(b) They have lost their documents.
(c) They given Hanzaburo the wrong legs.
(d) They have forgotten to meet Buddha.
3. What does the young naval officer give Yasukichi to help him write the eulogy?
(a) Letters from Honda's friends.
(b) Honda's biography.
(c) A photo album.
(d) A naval schedule.
4. Why does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator?
(a) To keep him quiet.
(b) To get him to run away with him.
(c) To get him to ask his new parents to let him stay.
(d) To give him some money.
5. What is Sasaki's rank?
6. What happens to Tseneko before she can see her husband's horse legs?
(a) She faints.
(b) She sees a red mist.
(c) She vomits.
(d) She has a heart attack.
7. What does the narrator say he does during his mother's funeral?
8. What is the only part of the author's brother-in-law's face that stays intact?
(a) His left eye.
(b) His mustache.
(c) His nose.
(d) His chin.
9. What does Shinsuke start to take a dislike of?
(b) Prettier parts of town.
(c) University students.
(d) Posher people.
10. What serves as a symbol for Shinsuke's poverty?
(a) His house.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His pants.
(d) His desk.
11. What does Yasukichi feel when he realizes people like his eulogy?
12. Who visits Tsuneko at the end of the story?
(a) Woodrow Wilson.
(b) The two Chinese men.
(c) Henry Barrett.
13. What is the name of the river Shinsuke visits with his father?
(a) Sumida River.
(b) Honjo River.
(c) Juniper River.
(d) Tomkins River.
14. What kind of beauty does Honjo appreciate?
(a) Natural beauty.
(b) Animalistic beauty.
(c) Human beauty.
(d) Industrial beauty.
15. What does Shinsuke call the diary he wants to write?
(a) The Diary of the Forgotten.
(b) Diary without Self-Deceit.
(c) Poverty Pourings.
(d) Diary of Hope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the next of the narrator's family to die?
2. Who does Yasukichi work for?
3. What does the story-teller say Hanaburo's legs collapse like?
4. What part of Tokyo was Shinsuke brought up in?
5. Who does the narrator say was a troublemaker?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)