|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Shinsuke's primary factor in determining whether someone is his friend?
2. Who does Yasukichi work for?
(a) The British Council.
(b) The Japanese Goverment.
(c) The Japanese Paratroopers.
(d) The Naval Engineering School.
3. What kind style story is Spinning Gears?
(a) A melodrama.
(b) An epic poem.
(c) An autobiography.
(d) A biography.
4. What is the title of the final story?
(a) The Question of Art.
(b) The Life of a Stupid Man.
(c) Is it Worth it?
(d) Give Me your Hat.
5. What does the author say he wants someone to do to him?
(a) Hold him.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Tell him nice things.
(d) Strangle the life from him.
6. Who congratulates Yasukichi for his eulogy?
(a) Honda's sister.
(d) Honda's father.
7. What is the only part of the author's brother-in-law's face that stays intact?
(a) His left eye.
(b) His chin.
(c) His nose.
(d) His mustache.
8. What part of Tokyo was Shinsuke brought up in?
9. What does Shinsuke start to take a dislike of?
(a) Prettier parts of town.
(c) University students.
(d) Posher people.
10. What was the name of the founder of Rome?
11. What does the narrator say he does during his mother's funeral?
12. What does a traditional Buddhist funeral begin with?
13. What kind of dresses did Hatsuku wear?
(a) Chinese dresses.
(b) Western style dresses.
(c) Far eastern dresses.
(d) Traditional dresses.
14. What does the critic call Yasukichi's writings?
(b) Spare-time jottings.
(c) Dull and techically awful.
(d) Ramblings of a genuis.
15. What does Hanzaburo tell his wife to do to stop his legs from kicking?
(a) Hold them.
(b) Chop them off.
(c) Sit on them.
(d) Bind them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator say was a troublemaker?
2. Why do the Chinese men panic?
3. What does Yasuckichi have to write for Lieutenant Honda?
4. What does the narrator witness when he is 28?
5. Who does the author believe is chasing him?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)