|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the baby taken to the hospital in?
(a) A taxi.
(b) An ambulance.
(c) A rickshaw.
(d) An airplane.
2. In what mood does the author's wife arrive home in?
3. Why does the author say he has to stop the story?
(a) His wife is calling him.
(b) He has to sleep.
(c) He is full of despair.
(d) His ink is running out.
4. Whose obituary is printed at the end of the story?
(d) Henry Barrett's.
5. Who congratulates Yasukichi for his eulogy?
(a) Honda's sister.
(c) Honda's father.
6. What has the narrator been hired to write?
(a) A short story.
(b) An article.
(c) A haiku.
(d) A novel.
7. What does the narrator say he does during his mother's funeral?
8. What does the author say he wants someone to do to him?
(a) Strangle the life from him.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Tell him nice things.
(d) Hold him.
9. What is the second story made up of?
(b) Textual fragments.
(d) Diary entries.
10. What does the narrator witness when he is 28?
(a) The death of his father.
(b) A car accident.
(c) A robbery.
(d) The murder of his adoptive parents.
11. How did Akutagawa's brother-in-law kill himself?
(a) He jumped off a bridge.
(b) He hung himself.
(c) He slit his throat.
(d) He threw himself in front of a train.
12. What is the man sitting next to him on the train is wearing?
(a) A suit.
(b) Shorts and a t-shirt.
(c) A pair of jeans.
(d) A rain coat.
13. Who does Yasukichi work for?
(a) The Japanese Paratroopers.
(b) The Naval Engineering School.
(c) The Japanese Goverment.
(d) The British Council.
14. What kind of milk was the founder of Rome raised on?
(a) Goat's milk.
(b) Cat's milk.
(c) Cow's milk.
(d) Wolf's milk.
15. What is the narrator's job?
(a) A writer.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A journalist.
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind style story is Spinning Gears?
2. What happens to Tseneko before she can see her husband's horse legs?
3. Where does the narrator go at the end of the story?
4. What does the storyteller say Hanzaburo's legs are covered with?
5. What does the storyteller say frightens horses across the region?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)