|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city was Shinsuke born in?
2. Who does the author say he sees slaying a dragon?
(a) St. George.
(b) Sir Lancelot.
(c) King Arthur.
(d) The Monkey King.
3. What kind style story is Spinning Gears?
(a) An autobiography.
(b) A biography.
(c) An epic poem.
(d) A melodrama.
4. What is the second story made up of?
(b) Diary entries.
(d) Textual fragments.
5. Whose obituary is printed at the end of the story?
(b) Henry Barrett's.
6. What is Yasukichi's job?
(a) A dentist.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A lawyer.
7. What does the narrator is always looking over his shoulder?
(a) Lord Buddha.
(b) A male presence.
(c) An angel.
(d) A female presence.
8. What does Akutagawa panic about losing?
(a) His slipper.
(b) His cigarettes.
(c) His hat.
(d) His phone.
9. What does Shinsuke call the diary he wants to write?
(a) Poverty Pourings.
(b) Diary of Hope.
(c) The Diary of the Forgotten.
(d) Diary without Self-Deceit.
10. What is the narrator's job?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A writer.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A journalist.
11. What does Hanzaburo become obsessed with hiding?
(a) His will.
(b) His legs.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His money.
12. Who was the next of the narrator's family to die?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His father.
(c) His youngest brother.
(d) His eldest sister.
13. What does the author apologize for at the beginning of the story?
(a) That he may may make the reader feel sick.
(b) That his memory is not the best.
(c) That such an ordinary man is the protaganist.
(d) That he he has to tell such a tired tale.
14. What does the story-teller say Hanaburo's legs collapse like?
(a) A burst balloon.
(b) A bombed tower.
(c) A shot deer.
(d) Shrivelled balloons.
15. What become Shinsuke's primary pastime?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Akutagawa's brother-in-law wearing when he died?
2. What does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator with?
3. What kind of legs do the Chinese men give Hanzaburo?
4. Why does the narrator's father try to bribe the narrator?
5. What does Hatsuku mean?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)