|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hatsuku mean?
(a) Free as a bird.
(b) Special one.
(c) First daughter.
2. What does the author use to help him sleep?
(a) Milk and honey.
(c) Sleeping pills.
3. What word does the author hear over the phone?
4. What is the baby taken to the hospital in?
(a) An airplane.
(b) A taxi.
(c) A rickshaw.
(d) An ambulance.
5. What does the narrator witness when he is 28?
(a) A robbery.
(b) A car accident.
(c) The murder of his adoptive parents.
(d) The death of his father.
6. In what mood does the author's wife arrive home in?
7. What was Akutagawa's brother-in-law wearing when he died?
(a) A rain coat.
(b) A pair of jeans.
(c) A stetson.
(d) A robe.
8. Who does Yasukichi hear crying?
(a) Admiral Sasaki.
(b) Honda's brother.
(d) Honda's sister.
9. What does the initially doctor say is wrong with the narrator's baby?
(a) It has an upset stomach.
(b) It has consumption.
(c) It a bad tooth.
(d) It has the flu.
10. What does the storyteller say frightens horses across the region?
(a) Orange Dust.
(b) Yellow Dust.
(c) Green Smoke.
(d) White Smoke.
11. What does a traditional Buddhist funeral begin with?
12. What is the man sitting next to him on the train is wearing?
(a) Shorts and a t-shirt.
(b) A rain coat.
(c) A pair of jeans.
(d) A suit.
13. Who do the two Chinese Hanzaburo if he is?
(a) James Dean.
(b) Paul Potter.
(c) Henry Barrett.
(d) Woodrow Wilson.
14. Why does the author say he has to stop the story?
(a) He has to sleep.
(b) His wife is calling him.
(c) His ink is running out.
(d) He is full of despair.
15. What does the young naval officer give Yasukichi to help him write the eulogy?
(a) Honda's biography.
(b) A naval schedule.
(c) A photo album.
(d) Letters from Honda's friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the final story?
2. What does the critic call Yasukichi's writings?
3. What does the narrator is always looking over his shoulder?
4. What can't the narrator concentrate on writing his article?
5. What kind of milk was the founder of Rome raised on?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)