|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giovanni hear the rustling of just before Beatrice appears?
2. Which of the following words does Giovanni use to describe the plants gorgeousness?
3. What vanity does the author say is expected in a young man?
4. What word does the author use to describe Giovanni's bedroom?
5. What does Giovanni say he is conversing with Beatrice like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rappaccini think about his daughter's to be part of society?
2. How does Beatrice react to Giovanni's accusations?
3. What is the story that Baglioni tells Giovanni in this section?
4. What does Giovanni notice when he turns around from the purple plant?
5. Why does Beatrice say she is so angry at her father?
6. What does Giovanni tell Beatrice about the potion?
7. How does the one time Beatrice touches Giovanni affect?
8. What is the atmosphere between Beatrice and Giovanni when they first meet in this section?
9. What does Baglioni say when he is alone on the staircase?
10. How does Giovanni kill the spider?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the beginning of the story suggest it the difference between the north of Italy and the south? How has the south of Italy shaped Giovanni's characters? How do you think the ways of the north will change Giovanni?
Essay Topic 2
How do Rappaccini and Baglioni use Beatrice and Giovanni for their own needs? What comment does their abuse of the two youngsters make on the nature of science, academia and the intellect?
Essay Topic 3
What will happen to Giovanni now the garden has contaminated him? How will he cope?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)