|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say Giovanni's pulses had throbbed with?
2. What places Giovanni at ease when he first sees Beatrice?
3. What does the author say Beatrice's pure delight at Giovanni's company is not unlike?
4. How does Giovanni protect his hand?
5. What does Baglioni say Giovanni is doing violence towards?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Giovanni react to Baglioni's claims that Beatrice is manipulating him?
2. How does Giovanni prove to Beatrice that she has infected him?
3. What is Giovanni's impression os Beatrice during their first meeting?
4. Describe the relationship that develops between Beatrice and Giovanni?
5. What is the atmosphere between Beatrice and Giovanni when they first meet in this section?
6. What do Beatrice and Giovanni talk about together?
7. How does Beatrice react to Giovanni's accusations?
8. How does Baglioni think the story relates to Giovanni?
9. How does Giovanni express his anger his anger to Beatrice?
10. How does Baglioni react to Beatrice's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the garden an important element in the story's theme of innocence? What aspects of the garden represent innocence?
Essay Topic 2
How does being in love affect Giovanni? Why does it affect so strongly?
Essay Topic 3
Examine what the following elements of the story symbolize.
1. The purple flower.
2. The cracked marble fountain.
3. The silver phial.
4. The spider.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)