|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say Giovanni's pulses had throbbed with?
2. What vanity does the author say is expected in a young man?
3. What does Giovanni wake with a sense of the next day?
4. What does Giovanni say Beatrice has filled with poison?
5. What does Giovanni realize is the fragrance Baglioni smelled?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Giovanni kill the spider?
2. What affect do Baglioni's words have on Giovanni?
3. Why doesn't Giovanni want to see Baglioni in this section?
4. Why does Beatrice say she feels so close to the purple plant?
5. How does Giovanni react to Baglioni's claims that Beatrice is manipulating him?
6. Why does Beatrice say she can't show Giovanni around the garden?
7. How does Giovanni express his anger his anger to Beatrice?
8. How does the one time Beatrice touches Giovanni affect?
9. What do Beatrice and Giovanni talk about together?
10. What does Baglioni say when he is alone on the staircase?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does falling in love cause problems for Giovanni? How could he have the troubles that eventually occur at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Giovanni's life in the south of Italy.
How did it shape him as a person? How does his life change when he comes to Padua? What does suggest are the differences between the areas of the country?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Bagilioni's relationship with Rappacchini was like before they became enemies? What suggestions are there in the story that their relationship may have been like this?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)