|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author refer to Rappaccini's garden in this section?
2. What does Giovanni do when he sees neither Beatrice or her father are present in the garden?
3. What does Giovanni call the story Baglioni tells him about Alexander the Great?
4. What vanity does the author say is expected in a young man?
5. Where does Beatrice say the purple shrub came from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beatrice react to Giovanni's accusations?
2. How does Giovanni kill the spider?
3. What does Rappaccini think about his daughter's to be part of society?
4. How does Baglioni help Giovanni in this section?
5. What does Giovanni notice when he turns around from the purple plant?
6. How does Beatrice react when Giovanni approaches the purple plant?
7. In what way is it too late when GIovanni finally questions himself and his situation?
8. What affect do Baglioni's words have on Giovanni?
9. How does Beatrice stop Giovanni from touching her?
10. What is Giovanni's impression os Beatrice during their first meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does being in love affect Giovanni? Why does it affect so strongly?
Essay Topic 3
How do Rappaccini and Baglioni use Beatrice and Giovanni for their own needs? What comment does their abuse of the two youngsters make on the nature of science, academia and the intellect?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)