|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice say her father's love for science has done to her?
2. What does Giovanni suggest that Beatrice and himself go to church to do?
3. Why does Giovanni think there is probably no need to apologize for entering the garden?
4. What does Beatrice's spirit gush out of her like?
5. What does Giovanni call the story Baglioni tells him about Alexander the Great?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rappaccini think about his daughter's to be part of society?
2. Why does Beatrice say she is so angry at her father?
3. What is the atmosphere between Beatrice and Giovanni when they first meet in this section?
4. How does Giovanni express his anger his anger to Beatrice?
5. How does the one time Beatrice touches Giovanni affect?
6. What does Giovanni tell Beatrice about the potion?
7. How does Baglioni help Giovanni in this section?
8. How does Beatrice react to Giovanni's accusations?
9. How does Baglioni react to Beatrice's death?
10. What does Baglioni say when he is alone on the staircase?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine what the following elements of the story symbolize.
1. The purple flower.
2. The cracked marble fountain.
3. The silver phial.
4. The spider.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Bagilioni's relationship with Rappacchini was like before they became enemies? What suggestions are there in the story that their relationship may have been like this?
Essay Topic 3
How is the garden an important element in the story's theme of innocence? What aspects of the garden represent innocence?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)