|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baglioni say Giovanni is doing violence towards?
2. What does Giovanni do when he sees neither Beatrice or her father are present in the garden?
3. What does Giovanni mutter to himself when Baglioni tries to tell him the truth?
4. What does the author say had colored Beatrice's manner?
5. Which of the following ugly things about Beatrice does Giovanni find difficult to forget?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beatrice say she can't show Giovanni around the garden?
2. What does Giovanni notice when he turns around from the purple plant?
3. How does Giovanni react to Baglioni's claims that Beatrice is manipulating him?
4. How does Giovanni prove to Beatrice that she has infected him?
5. In what way are Beatrice and GIovanni pawns in a game between the two scientists?
6. How does Baglioni react to Beatrice's death?
7. Describe the relationship that develops between Beatrice and Giovanni?
8. What affect do Baglioni's words have on Giovanni?
9. How does the one time Beatrice touches Giovanni affect?
10. Why does Beatrice say she is so angry at her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 2
How is the garden an important element in the story's theme of innocence? What aspects of the garden represent innocence?
Essay Topic 3
What does the beginning of the story suggest it the difference between the north of Italy and the south? How has the south of Italy shaped Giovanni's characters? How do you think the ways of the north will change Giovanni?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)