|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giovanni call the story Baglioni tells him about Alexander the Great?
2. How does Giovanni protect his hand?
3. What was the Indian woman's breath richer than?
4. What does author say people find themselves to be when they have finally realized a dream?
5. Who does Giovanni say has pale intelligence in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beatrice react to Giovanni's accusations?
2. Why does Beatrice say she is so angry at her father?
3. What do Beatrice and Giovanni talk about together?
4. What is the story that Baglioni tells Giovanni in this section?
5. How does Giovanni express his anger his anger to Beatrice?
6. What does Rappaccini think about his daughter's to be part of society?
7. Why does Beatrice say she feels so close to the purple plant?
8. What does Giovanni notice when he turns around from the purple plant?
9. What is the atmosphere between Beatrice and Giovanni when they first meet in this section?
10. Why doesn't Giovanni want to see Baglioni in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Giovanni's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Giovanni hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes his ideas about life?
3. How has Giovanni's character changed by the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What problems does the story suggest Rappaccini had in the past to become the man he did? How does he project his problems onto his daughter Beatrice?
Essay Topic 3
How would Beatrice coped with life if she had lived? Could she ever escaped the garden?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)