|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giovanni suggest that Beatrice and himself go to church to do?
2. What does Beatrice say her father would tell Giovanni if he was there?
3. What passes over Giovanni like a shadow?
4. What does Beatrice say is her father's world?
5. Who does Giovanni say has pale intelligence in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Giovanni sees when he looks into the mirror?
2. In what way is it too late when GIovanni finally questions himself and his situation?
3. How does Giovanni react to Baglioni's claims that Beatrice is manipulating him?
4. How does Beatrice react to Giovanni's accusations?
5. How does Beatrice react when Giovanni approaches the purple plant?
6. How does Baglioni help Giovanni in this section?
7. Why does Beatrice say she is so angry at her father?
8. What affect do Baglioni's words have on Giovanni?
9. Why does Beatrice say she can't show Giovanni around the garden?
10. What is the story that Baglioni tells Giovanni in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine what the following elements of the story symbolize.
1. The purple flower.
2. The cracked marble fountain.
3. The silver phial.
4. The spider.
Essay Topic 2
What problems does the story suggest Rappaccini had in the past to become the man he did? How does he project his problems onto his daughter Beatrice?
Essay Topic 3
How does falling in love cause problems for Giovanni? How could he have the troubles that eventually occur at the end of the story?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)