|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giovanni mutter to himself when Baglioni tries to tell him the truth?
2. What does Beatrice say is the offspring of her father's science?
3. What does author say people find themselves to be when they have finally realized a dream?
4. What does Giovanni call the story Baglioni tells him about Alexander the Great?
5. What does Baglioni tell Giovanni he has been reading lately?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story that Baglioni tells Giovanni in this section?
2. Why does Beatrice say she feels so close to the purple plant?
3. How does Baglioni help Giovanni in this section?
4. How does Giovanni kill the spider?
5. What does Baglioni say when he is alone on the staircase?
6. What does Giovanni tell Beatrice about the potion?
7. How does Beatrice stop Giovanni from touching her?
8. Why doesn't Giovanni want to see Baglioni in this section?
9. In what way is it too late when GIovanni finally questions himself and his situation?
10. In what way are Beatrice and GIovanni pawns in a game between the two scientists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the garden an important element in the story's theme of innocence? What aspects of the garden represent innocence?
Essay Topic 2
What does the beginning of the story suggest it the difference between the north of Italy and the south? How has the south of Italy shaped Giovanni's characters? How do you think the ways of the north will change Giovanni?
Essay Topic 3
How does falling in love cause problems for Giovanni? How could he have the troubles that eventually occur at the end of the story?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)