|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Beatrice say Rappaccini cannot touch the plant?
2. How does the author refer to Rappaccini's garden in this section?
3. What does Baglioni chuckle to himself on the staircase?
4. What does Rappaccini say weak women are exposed to?
5. What makes Beatrice pause and tremble in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beatrice react when Giovanni approaches the purple plant?
2. What does Baglioni say when he is alone on the staircase?
3. How does Beatrice stop Giovanni from touching her?
4. How does the one time Beatrice touches Giovanni affect?
5. What is the story that Baglioni tells Giovanni in this section?
6. How does Baglioni think the story relates to Giovanni?
7. Why does Beatrice say she is so angry at her father?
8. How does Giovanni express his anger his anger to Beatrice?
9. What does Rappaccini think about his daughter's to be part of society?
10. How does Baglioni help Giovanni in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does being in love affect Giovanni? Why does it affect so strongly?
Essay Topic 2
Examine what the following elements of the story symbolize.
1. The purple flower.
2. The cracked marble fountain.
3. The silver phial.
4. The spider.
Essay Topic 3
How has being poisoned affected Beatrice's life? How do you think she would have coped in society if the antidote worked?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)