|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first words Beatrice states to Giovanni?
2. What word does the author use to describe Giovanni's bedroom?
3. What does Baglioni give Giovanni to help cure Beatrice?
4. What does Baglioni say that Rappaccini doesn't respect?
5. How does Giovanni ask Beatrice to help him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the atmosphere between Beatrice and Giovanni when they first meet in this section?
2. How does Beatrice stop Giovanni from touching her?
3. What does Giovanni tell Beatrice about the potion?
4. How does Baglioni help Giovanni in this section?
5. How does Baglioni think the story relates to Giovanni?
6. What does Baglioni say when he is alone on the staircase?
7. What is the story that Baglioni tells Giovanni in this section?
8. How does Giovanni express his anger his anger to Beatrice?
9. What does Giovanni notice when he turns around from the purple plant?
10. In what way are Beatrice and GIovanni pawns in a game between the two scientists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Giovanni's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Giovanni hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes his ideas about life?
3. How has Giovanni's character changed by the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)