|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice say her father's love for science has done to her?
2. What places Giovanni at ease when he first sees Beatrice?
3. Who appears at Giovanni's window as Beatrice dies?
4. How does Giovanni ask Beatrice to help him?
5. What does Giovanni say he is conversing with Beatrice like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Giovanni notice when he turns around from the purple plant?
2. How does Giovanni prove to Beatrice that she has infected him?
3. What is the atmosphere between Beatrice and Giovanni when they first meet in this section?
4. How does Giovanni react to Baglioni's claims that Beatrice is manipulating him?
5. How does Baglioni think the story relates to Giovanni?
6. Why does Beatrice say she can't show Giovanni around the garden?
7. What is the story that Baglioni tells Giovanni in this section?
8. What do Beatrice and Giovanni talk about together?
9. How does Beatrice react when Giovanni approaches the purple plant?
10. How does Baglioni react to Beatrice's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does the story suggest Rappaccini had in the past to become the man he did? How does he project his problems onto his daughter Beatrice?
Essay Topic 2
How does falling in love cause problems for Giovanni? How could he have the troubles that eventually occur at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What will happen to Giovanni now the garden has contaminated him? How will he cope?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)