|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with the fountain?
2. What does Giovanni say is more dear to Rappaccini than his garden?
3. What is Giovanni's surname?
4. What does Beatrice call the plant's breath?
5. Who does Giovanni say Beatrice should wear the flowers for the sake of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the purple flower?
2. How does this opening section express Giovanni's youthful energy?
3. Why does Giovanni go with Lisabetta if he is so suspicious of her?
4. How has Giovanni's changed at the beginning of this story?
5. How does Beatrice treat the plants differently to her father?
6. What signs are there that Rappaccini is afraid to touch the plants?
7. How does the lizard die?
8. What is Lisabetta's opinion of Dr. Rappaccini?
9. How does Giovanni try to stop thinking about Beatrice?
10. How does Baglioni react to Giovanni's rudeness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would Beatrice coped with life if she had lived? Could she ever escaped the garden?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Bagilioni's relationship with Rappacchini was like before they became enemies? What suggestions are there in the story that their relationship may have been like this?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is innocence in a important element of the story? What does the author express about innocence and people regard it within society?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)