|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rappaccini think all medicinal virtues are comprised with?
2. What does Giovanni throw down at Beatrice?
3. How does Giovanni think the insect dies?
4. What does Beatrice say the plant will reward her with?
5. What is the only thing that Baglioni says he knows about Beatrice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this opening section express Giovanni's youthful energy?
2. How parts of the story suggest that Giovanni is an innocent?
3. What are Giovanni's first impressions of Beatrice?
4. Why does Baglioni say Giovanni should be wary of Rappaccini?
5. Why does Giovanni go with Lisabetta if he is so suspicious of her?
6. How does the author describe Rappaccini's garden?
7. How has Giovanni's changed at the beginning of this story?
8. What does Giovanni sees when he looks into the mirror?
9. Describe the journey from Giovanni's house to Rappiccini's garden?
10. How does the one time Beatrice touches Giovanni affect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does the story suggest Rappaccini had in the past to become the man he did? How does he project his problems onto his daughter Beatrice?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)