|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Giovanni say it doesn't matter if Beatrice is an angel or a demon?
2. What kind of stone is the fountain made from?
3. Which of the following sentences does the man exclaim to Giovanni when he stops him?
4. What is the name of Rappaccini's daughter?
5. What does the author say strikes a continual warfare in Giovanni's breast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What affect do Baglioni's words have on Giovanni?
2. How does Beatrice react to seeing Giovanni watching her?
3. How does this opening section express Giovanni's youthful energy?
4. How parts of the story suggest that Giovanni is an innocent?
5. How does Giovanni know Professor Baglioni?
6. How has spending so much time in her father's garden affected Beatrice?
7. How does Lisabetta act when Giovanni arrives home?
8. What are Giovanni's first impressions of Beatrice?
9. Describe the journey from Giovanni's house to Rappiccini's garden?
10. What is Lisabetta's opinion of Dr. Rappaccini?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is innocence in a important element of the story? What does the author express about innocence and people regard it within society?
Essay Topic 2
How has being poisoned affected Beatrice's life? How do you think she would have coped in society if the antidote worked?
Essay Topic 3
How would Beatrice coped with life if she had lived? Could she ever escaped the garden?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)