|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of wine do Giovanni and the professor drink?
2. What color is the lizard?
3. What kind of stone is the fountain made from?
4. Who does Giovanni say Beatrice should wear the flowers for the sake of?
5. Who does Baglioni think Rappaccini is making a study of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Giovanni's first impressions of Beatrice?
2. In what way can the Rappaccini's garden be compared to the Garden of Eden?
3. What signs are there that Rappaccini is afraid to touch the plants?
4. Describe the journey from Giovanni's house to Rappiccini's garden?
5. How does the lizard die?
6. How does Giovanni describe in Lisabetta in this section?
7. How does the author describe Rappaccini's garden?
8. What is Lisabetta's opinion of Dr. Rappaccini?
9. How does Beatrice treat the plants differently to her father?
10. How does Lisabetta act when Giovanni arrives home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What will happen to Giovanni now the garden has contaminated him? How will he cope?
Essay Topic 2
How is the garden an important element in the story's theme of innocence? What aspects of the garden represent innocence?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)