|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giovanni's landlady exclaim when she sees Giovanni?
2. Why has Giovanni avoided Baglioni since their first meeting?
3. What part of Italy is Giovanni from?
4. How does Rappaccini greet Baglioni?
5. What word does the author use to describe Lisabetta's face?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has spending so much time in her father's garden affected Beatrice?
2. What is Lisabetta's opinion of Dr. Rappaccini?
3. How does Beatrice treat the plants differently to her father?
4. How does Beatrice react to seeing Giovanni watching her?
5. How does Giovanni describe in Lisabetta in this section?
6. How does the lizard die?
7. How does Baglioni react to Giovanni's rudeness?
8. How does Lisabetta act when Giovanni arrives home?
9. What does this section say about the relationship Baglioni has with Rappaccini?
10. Why does Baglioni say Giovanni should be wary of Rappaccini?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What similarities does the story have with the Bible story the Fall of Man? What new meaning does the story bring to the Old Testament text?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Bagilioni's relationship with Rappacchini was like before they became enemies? What suggestions are there in the story that their relationship may have been like this?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)