|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following sentences does Giovanni rudely state to Baglioni?
2. What does Lisabetta call Giovanni when she talks to him?
3. What does Giovanni think Rappaccini looks like he is working among when he walks among his plants and flowers?
4. What is the name of Giovanni's landlady?
5. What is Baglioni a professor of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beatrice say she is so angry at her father?
2. What affect do Baglioni's words have on Giovanni?
3. How does the lizard die?
4. How does Giovanni know Professor Baglioni?
5. How does Beatrice react when Giovanni approaches the purple plant?
6. How does Giovanni describe in Lisabetta in this section?
7. What does this section say about the relationship Baglioni has with Rappaccini?
8. What is Lisabetta's opinion of Dr. Rappaccini?
9. How does Baglioni react to Giovanni's rudeness?
10. How does Baglioni greet Giovanni?
Essay Topic 1
How has being poisoned affected Beatrice's life? How do you think she would have coped in society if the antidote worked?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does falling in love cause problems for Giovanni? How could he have the troubles that eventually occur at the end of the story?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)