|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Giovanni avoided Baglioni since their first meeting?
2. What does Baglioni say Rappaccini's look was as deep as?
3. What does Giovanni give Lisabetta in this section?
4. How does the author say Beatrice gazed at the insect?
5. What does Lisabetta call Giovanni when she talks to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Giovanni's changed at the beginning of this story?
2. How does this opening section express Giovanni's youthful energy?
3. How does Giovanni respond to seeing Baglioni in this section?
4. How does Giovanni try to stop thinking about Beatrice?
5. What is Baglioni's opinion on Beatrice?
6. What are Giovanni's first impressions of Beatrice?
7. What is Baglioni's opinion of Rappaccini?
8. How does Giovanni describe in Lisabetta in this section?
9. How does the lizard die?
10. Describe the journey from Giovanni's house to Rappiccini's garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What will happen to Giovanni now the garden has contaminated him? How will he cope?
Essay Topic 2
How does being in love affect Giovanni? Why does it affect so strongly?
Essay Topic 3
What does the beginning of the story suggest it the difference between the north of Italy and the south? How has the south of Italy shaped Giovanni's characters? How do you think the ways of the north will change Giovanni?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)