|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giovanni think he can see happening to the bouquet as Beatrice walks away?
2. Who has caused Giovanni's sudden suspicions?
3. What does the author say Rappaccini's voice sounds like it is affected by?
4. What does Beatrice call the purple plant?
5. What does Rappaccini place around his mouth while he is in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the purple flower?
2. How does the lizard die?
3. How does Rappaccino react to seeing both Baglioni and Giovanni?
4. How does Giovanni prove to Beatrice that she has infected him?
5. What does this section say about the relationship Baglioni has with Rappaccini?
6. What affect do Baglioni's words have on Giovanni?
7. How does the author describe Rappaccini's garden?
8. What is Giovanni's impression os Beatrice during their first meeting?
9. What are Giovanni's first impressions of Beatrice?
10. What do Beatrice and Giovanni talk about together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Giovanni's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Giovanni hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes his ideas about life?
3. How has Giovanni's character changed by the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)