|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Italy is Giovanni from?
2. Why does Giovanni's landlady originally tell Giovanni to look at the window?
3. What is the only thing that Baglioni says he knows about Beatrice?
4. How does Beatrice react when she sees the dead lizard?
5. What kills the lizard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How parts of the story suggest that Giovanni is an innocent?
2. What affect do Baglioni's words have on Giovanni?
3. How does the author describe the purple flower?
4. How do Baglioni's word affect Giovanni when he goes home?
5. In what way can the Rappaccini's garden be compared to the Garden of Eden?
6. How does Giovanni try to stop thinking about Beatrice?
7. How does Beatrice treat the plants differently to her father?
8. How does this opening section express Giovanni's youthful energy?
9. Why does Baglioni say Giovanni should be wary of Rappaccini?
10. What signs are there that Rappaccini is afraid to touch the plants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does falling in love cause problems for Giovanni? How could he have the troubles that eventually occur at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What does the beginning of the story suggest it the difference between the north of Italy and the south? How has the south of Italy shaped Giovanni's characters? How do you think the ways of the north will change Giovanni?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)