|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giovanni throw down at Beatrice?
2. What does Beatrice call the plant's breath?
3. What does Beatrice do as she comes down the garden path?
4. Why is Giovanni suspicious of Lisabetta?
5. What does Giovanni think he can see happening to the bouquet as Beatrice walks away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Baglioni say Giovanni should be wary of Rappaccini?
2. How parts of the story suggest that Giovanni is an innocent?
3. How does Giovanni know Professor Baglioni?
4. What are Giovanni's first impressions of Beatrice?
5. How does Beatrice treat the plants differently to her father?
6. How does Giovanni try to stop thinking about Beatrice?
7. Describe the journey from Giovanni's house to Rappiccini's garden?
8. Why does Giovanni go with Lisabetta if he is so suspicious of her?
9. What is Lisabetta's opinion of Dr. Rappaccini?
10. How does Giovanni describe in Lisabetta in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has being poisoned affected Beatrice's life? How do you think she would have coped in society if the antidote worked?
Essay Topic 2
Examine what the following elements of the story symbolize.
1. The purple flower.
2. The cracked marble fountain.
3. The silver phial.
4. The spider.
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)