|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe the glance Baglioni scrutinizes Giovanni with?
2. Who stops Giovanni in the streets?
3. What does Giovanni bring to Baglioni?
4. Who passes Baglioni and Giovanni as they talk?
5. What does the author say Giovanni's withered guide leads him through?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lisabetta's opinion of Dr. Rappaccini?
2. How does Baglioni react to Giovanni's rudeness?
3. How does Baglioni help Giovanni in this section?
4. How does the author describe the purple flower?
5. Why does Giovanni go with Lisabetta if he is so suspicious of her?
6. In what way can the Rappaccini's garden be compared to the Garden of Eden?
7. What is the story that Baglioni tells Giovanni in this section?
8. What does this section suggest about Giovanni's life thus far?
9. Why does Beatrice say she feels so close to the purple plant?
10. Why does Baglioni say Giovanni should be wary of Rappaccini?
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
What similarities does the story have with the Bible story the Fall of Man? What new meaning does the story bring to the Old Testament text?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Giovanni's life in the south of Italy.
How did it shape him as a person? How does his life change when he comes to Padua? What does suggest are the differences between the areas of the country?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)