|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say Lisabetta's smile looks like?
2. What does Giovanni think Rappaccini looks like he has never expressed?
3. What kind of stone is the fountain made from?
4. What does Giovanni throw down at Beatrice?
5. What is Giovanni beneath as he stands just inside Rappaccini's garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How parts of the story suggest that Giovanni is an innocent?
2. How does the author describe the purple flower?
3. What is Lisabetta's opinion of Dr. Rappaccini?
4. What signs are there that Rappaccini is afraid to touch the plants?
5. How does Giovanni try to stop thinking about Beatrice?
6. What does this section say about the relationship Baglioni has with Rappaccini?
7. How does Baglioni greet Giovanni?
8. What are Giovanni's first impressions of Beatrice?
9. What is Baglioni's opinion on Beatrice?
10. How does the lizard die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Giovanni's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Giovanni hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes his ideas about life?
3. How has Giovanni's character changed by the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does falling in love cause problems for Giovanni? How could he have the troubles that eventually occur at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is innocence in a important element of the story? What does the author express about innocence and people regard it within society?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)