|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Baglioni tell Giovanni he grew up side by side with?
2. What word does the author use to describe Giovanni's southern temperament?
3. How does Giovanni think the insect dies?
4. What does Giovanni think he can see happening to the bouquet as Beatrice walks away?
5. What does the author say Rappaccini's voice sounds like it is affected by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this section say about the relationship Baglioni has with Rappaccini?
2. How does Baglioni greet Giovanni?
3. How has Giovanni's changed at the beginning of this story?
4. What are Giovanni's first impressions of Beatrice?
5. How does Giovanni try to stop thinking about Beatrice?
6. What affect do Baglioni's words have on Giovanni?
7. What is Lisabetta's opinion of Dr. Rappaccini?
8. What signs are there that Rappaccini is afraid to touch the plants?
9. How does the author describe Rappaccini's garden?
10. What is Baglioni's opinion of Rappaccini?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What similarities does the story have with the Bible story the Fall of Man? What new meaning does the story bring to the Old Testament text?
Essay Topic 2
What does the beginning of the story suggest it the difference between the north of Italy and the south? How has the south of Italy shaped Giovanni's characters? How do you think the ways of the north will change Giovanni?
Essay Topic 3
How has being poisoned affected Beatrice's life? How do you think she would have coped in society if the antidote worked?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)