|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has caused Giovanni's sudden suspicions?
2. What does Lisabetta tell Giovanni she has found?
3. How does Beatrice react when she sees the dead lizard?
4. What does Giovanni think has an immortal spirit?
5. Why does Rappaccini call for his daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Baglioni say Giovanni should be wary of Rappaccini?
2. What does this section suggest about Giovanni's life thus far?
3. How does Baglioni react to Giovanni's rudeness?
4. Why does Giovanni go with Lisabetta if he is so suspicious of her?
5. In what way can the Rappaccini's garden be compared to the Garden of Eden?
6. How do Baglioni's word affect Giovanni when he goes home?
7. How has spending so much time in her father's garden affected Beatrice?
8. What is Lisabetta's opinion of Dr. Rappaccini?
9. How does Giovanni know Professor Baglioni?
10. What affect do Baglioni's words have on Giovanni?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
How do Rappaccini and Baglioni use Beatrice and Giovanni for their own needs? What comment does their abuse of the two youngsters make on the nature of science, academia and the intellect?
Essay Topic 3
How does falling in love cause problems for Giovanni? How could he have the troubles that eventually occur at the end of the story?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)