|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lisabetta tell Giovanni she has found?
2. What word does the author use to describe Giovanni's impatience when he talks to the professor?
3. What does Rappiccini avoid doing when he is among his plants?
4. What kind of wine do Giovanni and the professor drink?
5. What does Beatrice tell the plant she is faint with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Rappaccini's garden?
2. What is Lisabetta's opinion of Dr. Rappaccini?
3. How does this opening section express Giovanni's youthful energy?
4. How does Giovanni try to stop thinking about Beatrice?
5. Why does Giovanni go with Lisabetta if he is so suspicious of her?
6. How does the insect die?
7. What signs are there that Rappaccini is afraid to touch the plants?
8. What is Baglioni's opinion on Beatrice?
9. How do Baglioni's word affect Giovanni when he goes home?
10. How does Lisabetta act when Giovanni arrives home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does being in love affect Giovanni? Why does it affect so strongly?
Essay Topic 2
Examine what the following elements of the story symbolize.
1. The purple flower.
2. The cracked marble fountain.
3. The silver phial.
4. The spider.
Essay Topic 3
How do Rappaccini and Baglioni use Beatrice and Giovanni for their own needs? What comment does their abuse of the two youngsters make on the nature of science, academia and the intellect?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)