|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Giovanni say it doesn't matter if Beatrice is an angel or a demon?
2. Which Italian poet does the author reference in the opening of the story?
3. What does the writer say Beatrice's voice is as rich as?
4. What does Beatrice call the purple plant?
5. What is the only thing that Baglioni says he knows about Beatrice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What signs are there that Rappaccini is afraid to touch the plants?
2. Why does Giovanni go with Lisabetta if he is so suspicious of her?
3. How does the author describe Rappaccini's garden?
4. How does Giovanni try to stop thinking about Beatrice?
5. What is Lisabetta's opinion of Dr. Rappaccini?
6. How does this opening section express Giovanni's youthful energy?
7. How has Giovanni's changed at the beginning of this story?
8. What are Giovanni's first impressions of Beatrice?
9. What is Baglioni's opinion of Rappaccini?
10. How does Giovanni describe in Lisabetta in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has being poisoned affected Beatrice's life? How do you think she would have coped in society if the antidote worked?
Essay Topic 2
What does the beginning of the story suggest it the difference between the north of Italy and the south? How has the south of Italy shaped Giovanni's characters? How do you think the ways of the north will change Giovanni?
Essay Topic 3
How do Rappaccini and Baglioni use Beatrice and Giovanni for their own needs? What comment does their abuse of the two youngsters make on the nature of science, academia and the intellect?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)