|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beatrice react when she sees the dead lizard?
2. Who stops Giovanni in the streets?
3. What does Giovanni have a supply of in his pocket?
4. What does the author say Rappaccini defends his hands with?
5. What does Liabetta say a young man in Padua would give to be among Rappaccini's flowers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Giovanni's changed at the beginning of this story?
2. How does Giovanni know Professor Baglioni?
3. How does the author describe the purple flower?
4. How does Giovanni describe in Lisabetta in this section?
5. How has spending so much time in her father's garden affected Beatrice?
6. How does Baglioni greet Giovanni?
7. What does this section suggest about Giovanni's life thus far?
8. What affect do Baglioni's words have on Giovanni?
9. Why does Giovanni go with Lisabetta if he is so suspicious of her?
10. What is Baglioni's opinion of Rappaccini?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
What will happen to Giovanni now the garden has contaminated him? How will he cope?
Essay Topic 3
Examine what the following elements of the story symbolize.
1. The purple flower.
2. The cracked marble fountain.
3. The silver phial.
4. The spider.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)