|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice do when she first approaches the purple shrub in this section?
2. What does Giovanni think he can see happening to the bouquet as Beatrice walks away?
3. What word does the author use to describe Lisabetta's face?
4. Which Italian poet does the author reference in the opening of the story?
5. How does Beatrice react when she sees the dead lizard?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way can the Rappaccini's garden be compared to the Garden of Eden?
2. How does Beatrice react to seeing Giovanni watching her?
3. What is Giovanni's initial opinion of Rappaccini?
4. What does this section say about the relationship Baglioni has with Rappaccini?
5. How does Giovanni describe in Lisabetta in this section?
6. How does Giovanni try to stop thinking about Beatrice?
7. How does Giovanni respond to seeing Baglioni in this section?
8. How does Beatrice treat the plants differently to her father?
9. What does this section suggest about Giovanni's life thus far?
10. How has Giovanni's changed at the beginning of this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has being poisoned affected Beatrice's life? How do you think she would have coped in society if the antidote worked?
Essay Topic 2
How would Beatrice coped with life if she had lived? Could she ever escaped the garden?
Essay Topic 3
How is the garden an important element in the story's theme of innocence? What aspects of the garden represent innocence?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)