|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rappaccini think all medicinal virtues are comprised with?
2. What is wrong with the fountain?
3. What does the author say is a madness to Giovanni?
4. Why does Giovanni say it doesn't matter if Beatrice is an angel or a demon?
5. What does Beatrice call the purple plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Giovanni's changed at the beginning of this story?
2. How does Giovanni respond to seeing Baglioni in this section?
3. How does Giovanni know Professor Baglioni?
4. How does Baglioni greet Giovanni?
5. What does this section suggest about Giovanni's life thus far?
6. How does this opening section express Giovanni's youthful energy?
7. What are Giovanni's first impressions of Beatrice?
8. How parts of the story suggest that Giovanni is an innocent?
9. How do Baglioni's word affect Giovanni when he goes home?
10. In what way can the Rappaccini's garden be compared to the Garden of Eden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the garden an important element in the story's theme of innocence? What aspects of the garden represent innocence?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Giovanni's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Giovanni hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes his ideas about life?
3. How has Giovanni's character changed by the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)