|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baglioni say Giovanni is a son of?
2. What does Liabetta say a young man in Padua would give to be among Rappaccini's flowers?
3. Which of the following sentences does the man exclaim to Giovanni when he stops him?
4. What does Beatrice do when she first approaches the purple shrub in this section?
5. Who has caused Giovanni's sudden suspicions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lisabetta act when Giovanni arrives home?
2. What is Baglioni's opinion of Rappaccini?
3. How does Giovanni prove to Beatrice that she has infected him?
4. How does Giovanni kill the spider?
5. How does Baglioni think the story relates to Giovanni?
6. Why does Beatrice say she can't show Giovanni around the garden?
7. In what way can the Rappaccini's garden be compared to the Garden of Eden?
8. What do Beatrice and Giovanni talk about together?
9. In what way are Beatrice and GIovanni pawns in a game between the two scientists?
10. What affect do Baglioni's words have on Giovanni?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Giovanni's life in the south of Italy.
How did it shape him as a person? How does his life change when he comes to Padua? What does suggest are the differences between the areas of the country?
Essay Topic 2
How has being poisoned affected Beatrice's life? How do you think she would have coped in society if the antidote worked?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Giovanni's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Giovanni hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes his ideas about life?
3. How has Giovanni's character changed by the end of the story?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)