|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Beatrice react when she sees the dead lizard?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She crosses herself.
(c) She kicks it away.
(d) She cries.
2. What does Giovanni's landlady exclaim when she sees Giovanni?
(a) Is it my birthday.
(b) High heaven.
(c) Jesus, Mary and Joseph.
(d) Holy Virgin.
3. What does Giovanni think has an immortal spirit?
(a) The purple flower.
(b) The fountain.
(d) His apartment.
4. Why does Rappaccini call for his daughter?
(a) He wants her to make a cup of coffee.
(b) He wants to look at her.
(c) He wants to show her something.
(d) He needs her help.
5. What does Beatrice call the plant's breath?
(a) The breath of life.
(b) The breath of luck.
(c) The breath of death.
(d) The breath of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author compare Beatrice's voice to when she accepts the bouquet?
2. How does Rappaccini greet Baglioni?
3. What does Giovanni think Rappaccini looks like he is working among when he walks among his plants and flowers?
4. What does Giovanni liken the purple flowers petals to?
5. What does Giovanni have to force himself through to get into the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Giovanni know Professor Baglioni?
2. In what way can the Rappaccini's garden be compared to the Garden of Eden?
3. How does Baglioni greet Giovanni?
4. How has Giovanni's changed at the beginning of this story?
5. How does the lizard die?
6. How does the insect die?
7. How do Baglioni's word affect Giovanni when he goes home?
8. How does Giovanni try to stop thinking about Beatrice?
9. What signs are there that Rappaccini is afraid to touch the plants?
10. How does Beatrice react to seeing Giovanni watching her?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)