|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baglioni chuckle to himself on the staircase?
(a) We will thwart Rappaccini yet.
(b) I will win the war and the battle.
(c) I love people too much.
(d) We will cure her of her ills.
2. What does Baglioni give Giovanni to help cure Beatrice?
(a) A homemade medicine mixture.
(b) A silver phial.
(d) A tablet.
3. What stones does it feel like are sparkling among the bubbles of the fountain?
(a) Gems and marbles.
(b) Diamonds and rubies.
(c) Crystals and gems.
(d) Rubies and marbles.
4. What had the Indian woman been nourished with since her birth?
5. Who did the Indian Price send a beautiful Indian girl to?
(a) King Edward I.
(b) Alexander the Great.
(c) Marc Anthony.
(d) Julius Caesar.
6. What does Baglioni say the Indian woman was as lovely as?
(a) The dawn.
(b) The sunset.
(c) The sunrise.
(d) The ocean.
7. What does Beatrice's shriek go through Giovanni's heart like?
(a) A sword.
(b) A bread knife.
(c) A spear.
(d) A dagger.
8. What does Beatrice's spirit gush out of her like?
(a) A fresh rill.
(c) A fresh salmon.
(d) God's words.
9. Which of the following ugly things about Beatrice does Giovanni find difficult to forget?
(a) Her language when he tired to touch the purple flower.
(b) The bouquet withered in her grasp.
(c) Her fingerprints left on his hand and wrist.
(d) Her scowl when he insulted her father.
10. What does author say people find themselves to be when they have finally realized a dream?
(a) Coldly self-possessed.
(b) Warmly faint.
(c) Hugely disappointed.
(d) Overly self-indulgent.
11. What kind of creature does Giovanni kill in this section?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A bird.
(c) A lizard.
(d) A spider.
12. What word does the author use to describe Beatrice's haughtiness?
13. What does Beatrice say her father's love for science has done to her?
(a) Shown her true beauty.
(b) Estranged her from society.
(c) Made her into a recluse.
(d) Given her a grounding in life.
14. What does Baglioni tell Giovanni he has been reading lately?
(a) An old classic.
(b) A collection of short stories.
(c) A collection of poems.
(d) A fantasy epic.
15. What does Giovanni say Beatrice has filled with poison?
(a) His heart.
(b) His brain.
(c) His veins.
(d) His arteries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice say her father is fiercely acquainted with?
2. What does Giovanni wake with a sense of the next day?
3. What does the author say Giovanni's pulses had throbbed with?
4. What does Giovanni say Beatrice's prayers taint the atmosphere with?
5. Why does Giovanni say he wants to pick a flower from the purple plant?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)