|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baglioni chuckle to himself on the staircase?
(a) I love people too much.
(b) We will thwart Rappaccini yet.
(c) We will cure her of her ills.
(d) I will win the war and the battle.
2. What does Beatrice say when Giovanni offers her the antidote?
(a) To us.
(b) Give it to me.
(d) Leave me alone.
3. What does Rappaccini say weak women are exposed to?
(a) All hate.
(b) All evil.
(c) All love.
(d) All lecherers.
4. What does Baglioni say Giovanni is doing violence towards?
(a) His gray hairs.
(b) His intellect.
(c) His perfect skin.
(d) His passion.
5. Who appears at Giovanni's window as Beatrice dies?
(a) Giovanni's father.
6. What places Giovanni at ease when he first sees Beatrice?
(a) A sudden rainfall.
(b) The clearing clouds.
(c) Beatrice's manner.
(d) Beatrice's beauty.
7. What does Beatrice say she has done for the first time in her life?
(a) Spoken to a man.
(b) Fallen in love.
(c) Forgotten the plant.
(d) Walked out of the garden.
8. How does Giovanni ask Beatrice to help him?
(a) By showing him the way out of the garden.
(b) By showing him her father's files.
(c) By instructing him on the plants.
(d) By giving him her hand.
9. Complete the following sentence "If fame says..."
10. What does Giovanni say Beatrice's prayers taint the atmosphere with?
11. What does Baglioni say the perfume he can smell in Giovanni's apartment is like?
(a) The spray of deodrant.
(b) The squirt of lemon juice.
(c) The breath of a flower.
(d) The breath of a lady.
12. Fill in the missing word "Basking in the .......... sunshine of her beauty."
13. What is the one subject Giovanni says Baglioni is barred from speaking to him about?
(a) His studies.
(b) The garden.
(c) His father.
14. Where does Beatrice say the purple shrub came from?
(a) From the heavens.
(b) The devil.
(c) Her father created it.
(d) She created it.
15. What does the author say Giovanni's rage breaks forth like?
(a) A sword from a knight's side.
(b) A lightning flash out of a dark cloud.
(c) An angry bull let out of its pen.
(d) A camera flash out of a dark cloud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giovanni mutter to himself when Baglioni tries to tell him the truth?
2. What does Giovanni feel know more when he gazes into Beatrice's eyes?
3. What vanity does the author say is expected in a young man?
4. What does Beatrice say that should be the only thing Giovanni should believe about her?
5. What does Baglioni say Rappaccini has an insane zeal for?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)