|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Giovanni say Beatrice's prayers taint the atmosphere with?
2. What does Giovanni see Beatrice do when she sees the purple plant?
(a) Sigh deeply.
(b) Hold her hand to her bossom.
(c) Fall to her need.
(d) Wipe sweat from her brow.
3. What kind of creature does Giovanni kill in this section?
(a) A bird.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A lizard.
(d) A spider.
4. What does Giovanni hear the rustling of just before Beatrice appears?
(a) A silken garment.
(c) A velvet garment.
(d) Wrapping paper.
5. What does Baglioni say the perfume he can smell in Giovanni's apartment is like?
(a) The breath of a lady.
(b) The breath of a flower.
(c) The squirt of lemon juice.
(d) The spray of deodrant.
6. How does the author refer to Rappaccini's garden in this section?
(a) The Eden of poisonous flowers.
(b) The garden of the unknown.
(c) The garden of hanging snakes.
(d) The Eden of Hell.
7. What does Rappaccini say weak women are exposed to?
(a) All evil.
(b) All love.
(c) All hate.
(d) All lecherers.
8. What does Giovanni think his eyes possess?
9. What places Giovanni at ease when he first sees Beatrice?
(a) A sudden rainfall.
(b) Beatrice's beauty.
(c) The clearing clouds.
(d) Beatrice's manner.
10. What does the author say recollection of former scenes with Beatrice has makes him do?
(a) Go red.
11. What vanity does the author say is expected in a young man?
(a) To comb his hair.
(b) To look in the mirror.
(c) To pluck his nostril hairs.
(d) To put on perfume.
12. What does Beatrice say her father's love for science has done to her?
(a) Made her into a recluse.
(b) Given her a grounding in life.
(c) Estranged her from society.
(d) Shown her true beauty.
13. What stones does it feel like are sparkling among the bubbles of the fountain?
(a) Gems and marbles.
(b) Rubies and marbles.
(c) Diamonds and rubies.
(d) Crystals and gems.
14. What does Giovanni call the story Baglioni tells him about Alexander the Great?
(a) A childish fable.
(b) A terrible tale.
(c) A blatant lie.
(d) A kid's spook story.
15. Why does Giovanni think there is probably no need to apologize for entering the garden?
(a) It would be a sign of weakness.
(b) Lisabetta owns the garden.
(c) The garden is too beautiful to be kept private.
(d) He is there on Rappaccini's say so.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Beatice meet Giovanni?
2. What does Giovanni exclaim after his breath kills the creature?
3. What does the author say Beatrice grief was beyond?
4. What does Giovanni say Beatrice has filled with poison?
5. Why does Giovanni say he wants to pick a flower from the purple plant?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)