|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Giovanni think the insect dies?
(a) From Beatrice's perfume.
(b) From Beatrice's breath.
(c) From landing on Beatrice's hair.
(d) From landing on the plant.
2. What does the author say strikes a continual warfare in Giovanni's breast?
(a) Love and hate.
(b) Excitement and boredom.
(c) Tears and laughter.
(d) Hope and dread.
3. What does Giovanni have a supply of in his pocket?
(a) Gold ducats.
(d) Boiled sweets.
4. What kind of stone is the fountain made from?
5. What does Beatrice call the purple plant?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her mother.
6. How does Baglioni know Giovanni?
(a) He is a friend of the family.
(b) He is engaged to his sister.
(c) He used to be his school master.
(d) He is his best friend.
7. What does the author say the wine has caused Giovanni's brain to do?
8. What word does the author use to describe Giovanni's impatience when he talks to the professor?
9. How does Giovanni try to get rid of his fever?
(a) By listening to his favorite songs.
(b) By visiting the university library.
(c) By doing press ups.
(d) By walking through the streets of Padua.
10. What is wrong with the fountain?
(a) It is covered in moss.
(b) It's figurehead has no head.
(c) It sprays water in three different directions.
(d) It is cracked down the middle.
11. What kind of wine do Giovanni and the professor drink?
(a) Naples wine.
(b) Hungarian wine.
(c) French wine.
(d) Tuscan wine.
12. What does Giovanni liken the purple flowers petals to?
(a) Gold pieces.
13. How does the author describe the glance Baglioni scrutinizes Giovanni with?
14. What does Giovanni think Rappaccini looks like he is working among when he walks among his plants and flowers?
(a) Beautiful women.
(b) Sleeping babies.
(c) Heavenly angels.
(d) Evil spirits.
15. What does Liabetta say a young man in Padua would give to be among Rappaccini's flowers?
(a) His virginity.
(d) His life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What biblical character does Giovanni compare Rappaccini to?
2. What does Giovanni think he can see happening to the bouquet as Beatrice walks away?
3. What does Giovanni think Rappaccini looks like he has never expressed?
4. What does Giovanni throw down at Beatrice?
5. What does Giovanni think has an immortal spirit?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)