|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Giovanni say is more dear to Rappaccini than his garden?
(a) HIs wife.
(b) His house.
(c) His writings.
(d) His daughter.
2. How does the author describe the glance Baglioni scrutinizes Giovanni with?
3. What does the author say Rappaccini defends his hands with?
(a) Rubber gloves.
(b) A force field.
(c) Latex gloves.
(d) Thick gloves.
4. What does Giovanni think has an immortal spirit?
(b) The fountain.
(c) His apartment.
(d) The purple flower.
5. What does Beatrice tell the plant she is faint with?
(a) Lack of life.
(b) Lack of love.
(c) Common air.
(d) Common conversation.
6. How does Giovanni think the insect dies?
(a) From landing on the plant.
(b) From Beatrice's breath.
(c) From landing on Beatrice's hair.
(d) From Beatrice's perfume.
7. How does the author say Beatrice gazed at the insect?
(a) With adult commonsense.
(b) With childish delight.
(c) With brutal honesty.
(d) With humorless eyes.
8. Why has Giovanni avoided Baglioni since their first meeting?
(a) He thought the professor would have moved from the house.
(b) He thought the professor would contact his father.
(c) He thought the professor would see his secrets.
(d) He though the professor was in love with Beatrice.
9. Who does Baglioni think is an awful man?
(c) Giovanni's father.
10. What are the strange plants doing to each other as they bask in the sun?
11. What does Giovanni think Rappaccini looks like he has never expressed?
(a) Sexual desire.
(b) His inner feelings.
(c) His deepest hated.
(d) Warmth of heart.
12. What does Beatrice do as she comes down the garden path?
(a) Sings a lullaby.
(b) Dances ballet.
(c) Inhales the plants.
13. What plant does Rappaccini put in Beatrice's charge?
(a) The green plant.
(b) The purple plant.
(c) The red plant.
(d) The orange plant,
14. What does Beatrice call the plant's breath?
(a) The breath of God.
(b) The breath of life.
(c) The breath of luck.
(d) The breath of death.
15. What word does the author use to describe Lisabetta's face?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say strikes a continual warfare in Giovanni's breast?
2. As far as which city does Lisabetta say Rappaccini is known?
3. What color does Rappaccini dress in?
4. What is wrong with the fountain?
5. What does the author compare Beatrice's voice to when she accepts the bouquet?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)