|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets Giovanni at the door of his lodgings?
(b) His father.
2. What does Rappaccini place around his mouth while he is in the garden?
(a) His hand.
(b) Duct tape.
(c) A mask.
(d) A gum shield.
3. Who does Giovanni say Beatrice should wear the flowers for the sake of?
(a) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
4. What does Beatrice call the plant's breath?
(a) The breath of death.
(b) The breath of God.
(c) The breath of luck.
(d) The breath of life.
5. Who does Baglioni think is an awful man?
(b) Giovanni's father.
6. What does the author say is a madness to Giovanni?
(a) The garden's rich beauty.
(b) Rappaccini's deep intelligence.
(c) Beatrice's rich voice.
(d) Beatrice's rich beauty.
7. How does Giovanni think the insect dies?
(a) From landing on the plant.
(b) From Beatrice's perfume.
(c) From landing on Beatrice's hair.
(d) From Beatrice's breath.
8. Who passes Baglioni and Giovanni as they talk?
9. What does Liabetta say a young man in Padua would give to be among Rappaccini's flowers?
(a) His life.
(d) His virginity.
10. What does the author say the wine has caused Giovanni's brain to do?
11. What does Rappiccini avoid doing when he is among his plants?
(a) Touching them.
(b) Standing still.
(c) Looking at them.
(d) Raising his voice.
12. What is Giovanni beneath as he stands just inside Rappaccini's garden?
(a) Beatrice's window.
(b) His own window.
(c) A balcony.
(d) The purple plant.
13. What biblical character does Giovanni compare Rappaccini to?
14. What word does the author use to describe Giovanni's impatience when he talks to the professor?
15. What does the author say Lisabetta's smile looks like?
(a) A paper cut.
(b) A crack in a stone.
(c) A carving in wood.
(d) A bullet wound.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giovanni dream of at night in this section?
2. As far as which city does Lisabetta say Rappaccini is known?
3. What part of Italy is Giovanni from?
4. What is Baglioni's first name?
5. Which Italian poet does the author reference in the opening of the story?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)