|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words does the author use to describe Giovanni's apartment?
2. What does Giovanni have to force himself through to get into the garden?
(a) The narrow door opening
(b) A narrow gap in a fence.
(c) A patch of nettles.
(d) The entanglement of a shrub.
3. As far as which city does Lisabetta say Rappaccini is known?
4. What does the author compare Beatrice's voice to when she accepts the bouquet?
(a) A gush of music.
(b) A gush of pure water.
(c) A chorus of violins.
(d) A chorus of frogs.
5. What famous garden does Giovanni compare Rappaccini's garden to?
(a) Kew Gardens.
(b) The Swedish Gardens.
(c) The Garden of Eden.
(d) The Hanging Garden of Babylon.
6. What does Giovanni bring to Baglioni?
(a) A tape of introduction.
(b) A letter of introduction.
(c) A university scroll.
(d) An essay on plants.
7. What does the author say Giovanni has instead of a deep heart?
(a) A deep liver.
(b) A deep intellect.
(c) A quick mind.
(d) A quick fancy.
8. Why does Rappaccini call for his daughter?
(a) He wants to show her something.
(b) He needs her help.
(c) He wants her to make a cup of coffee.
(d) He wants to look at her.
9. What does Giovanni say is more dear to Rappaccini than his garden?
(a) HIs wife.
(b) His writings.
(c) His house.
(d) His daughter.
10. How does Giovanni try to get rid of his fever?
(a) By doing press ups.
(b) By listening to his favorite songs.
(c) By walking through the streets of Padua.
(d) By visiting the university library.
11. What does Beatrice do when she first approaches the purple shrub in this section?
(a) Throws open her arms.
(b) Screams into its pollen.
(c) Drops to her knees.
(d) Pets its stem.
12. What does Beatrice tell the plant she is faint with?
(a) Common air.
(b) Lack of love.
(c) Common conversation.
(d) Lack of life.
13. What does the author say is a madness to Giovanni?
(a) Beatrice's rich voice.
(b) The garden's rich beauty.
(c) Beatrice's rich beauty.
(d) Rappaccini's deep intelligence.
14. What is Giovanni's surname?
15. Who does Baglioni think is an awful man?
(b) Giovanni's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giovanni hear when Lisabetta opens the garden gate?
2. What kills the lizard?
3. How does Giovanni speak when he first gets out of his inner world into his outer world?
4. Who passes Baglioni and Giovanni as they talk?
5. Why does Giovanni say it doesn't matter if Beatrice is an angel or a demon?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)