|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words does the author use to describe Rappaccini?
2. Who meets Giovanni at the door of his lodgings?
(d) His father.
3. What does Giovanni have to force himself through to get into the garden?
(a) The narrow door opening
(b) A patch of nettles.
(c) The entanglement of a shrub.
(d) A narrow gap in a fence.
4. Why does Giovanni say it doesn't matter if Beatrice is an angel or a demon?
(a) She just needs love.
(b) She will never harm anyone.
(c) He is in her sphere.
(d) He can change her.
5. What word does the author use to describe Giovanni's impatience when he talks to the professor?
6. How does Baglioni know Giovanni?
(a) He used to be his school master.
(b) He is a friend of the family.
(c) He is engaged to his sister.
(d) He is his best friend.
7. What biblical character does Giovanni compare Rappaccini to?
8. What does Giovanni have a supply of in his pocket?
(a) Gold ducats.
(d) Boiled sweets.
9. What plant does Rappaccini put in Beatrice's charge?
(a) The orange plant,
(b) The red plant.
(c) The purple plant.
(d) The green plant.
10. What is Rappaccini's first name?
11. What are the strange plants doing to each other as they bask in the sun?
12. What does Liabetta say a young man in Padua would give to be among Rappaccini's flowers?
(a) His virginity.
(b) His life.
13. How does Giovanni try to get rid of his fever?
(a) By walking through the streets of Padua.
(b) By listening to his favorite songs.
(c) By doing press ups.
(d) By visiting the university library.
14. What does the author say Giovanni's withered guide leads him through?
(a) Obscure passages.
(b) A starry night.
(c) Darkly lit corridors.
(d) A misty night.
15. What does Baglioni say Giovanni is a son of?
(a) A dear friend.
(b) A foolish pauper.
(c) A gentleman and a scholar.
(d) An ancient friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the lizard?
2. What does Giovanni see outside window that impresses him so much?
3. What does Giovanni bring to Baglioni?
4. What does Beatrice want to give Giovanni in exchange for his gift?
5. Why does Rappaccini call for his daughter?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)