|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Giovanni hear when Lisabetta opens the garden gate?
(a) The howling of a wind.
(b) The singing of birds.
(c) The swaying of trees.
(d) The rustling of leaves.
2. What does Liabetta say a young man in Padua would give to be among Rappaccini's flowers?
(c) His life.
(d) His virginity.
3. What does Giovanni have to force himself through to get into the garden?
(a) The narrow door opening
(b) The entanglement of a shrub.
(c) A patch of nettles.
(d) A narrow gap in a fence.
4. Who does Baglioni think is an awful man?
(c) Giovanni's father.
5. Who does Baglioni tell Giovanni he grew up side by side with?
(a) Giovanni's mother.
(b) Rappaccini's brother.
(d) Giovanni's father.
6. What does Giovanni think has an immortal spirit?
(a) The purple flower.
(c) His apartment.
(d) The fountain.
7. What biblical character does Giovanni compare Rappaccini to?
8. What does Giovanni's landlady exclaim when she sees Giovanni?
(a) Is it my birthday.
(b) Holy Virgin.
(c) Jesus, Mary and Joseph.
(d) High heaven.
9. What does Lisabetta tell Giovanni she has found?
(a) Photographs of Beatrice.
(b) A secret entrance into Beatrice's bedroom.
(c) A treasure chest.
(d) A private entrance to Rappaccini's garden.
10. Who has caused Giovanni's sudden suspicions?
11. What kills the lizard?
(a) Beatrice's foot.
(b) A rain drop.
(c) A dew drop from the purple plant.
(d) Beatrice's foot.
12. What does the author say Lisabetta's smile looks like?
(a) A crack in a stone.
(b) A paper cut.
(c) A carving in wood.
(d) A bullet wound.
13. Why does Rappaccini call for his daughter?
(a) He wants to look at her.
(b) He wants to show her something.
(c) He wants her to make a cup of coffee.
(d) He needs her help.
14. What does Beatrice say the plant will reward her with?
(a) Its tasty sap.
(b) Its radiance.
(c) Its perfumed breath.
(d) Its soft touch.
15. Which of the following words does the author use to describe Rappaccini?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Baglioni a professor of?
2. What is Baglioni's first name?
3. How does Giovanni speak when he first gets out of his inner world into his outer world?
4. Who does Baglioni think Rappaccini is making a study of?
5. What does Lisabetta call Giovanni when she talks to him?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)