|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words does the author use to describe Giovanni's apartment?
2. What does the author say Rappaccini defends his hands with?
(a) A force field.
(b) Thick gloves.
(c) Rubber gloves.
(d) Latex gloves.
3. What does Giovanni give Lisabetta in this section?
(a) A piece of silver.
(b) A ring.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A piece of gold.
4. How does Rappaccini greet Baglioni?
5. Who passes Baglioni and Giovanni as they talk?
6. Which of the following sentences does Giovanni rudely state to Baglioni?
(a) Now let me pass.
(b) Go away.
(c) You smell.
(d) You wouldn't understand me.
7. Who does Baglioni tell Giovanni he grew up side by side with?
(a) Rappaccini's brother.
(b) Giovanni's father.
(c) Giovanni's mother.
8. What word does the author use to describe Giovanni's impatience when he talks to the professor?
9. How does Giovanni expect the professor to respond to Rappaccini's name?
10. What does Rappiccini avoid doing when he is among his plants?
(a) Touching them.
(b) Standing still.
(c) Raising his voice.
(d) Looking at them.
11. What does Baglioni say Giovanni is a son of?
(a) An ancient friend.
(b) A foolish pauper.
(c) A dear friend.
(d) A gentleman and a scholar.
12. What does the author compare Beatrice's voice to when she accepts the bouquet?
(a) A chorus of frogs.
(b) A chorus of violins.
(c) A gush of pure water.
(d) A gush of music.
13. What does the author say Giovanni's withered guide leads him through?
(a) A misty night.
(b) Obscure passages.
(c) Darkly lit corridors.
(d) A starry night.
14. What does the author say strikes a continual warfare in Giovanni's breast?
(a) Excitement and boredom.
(b) Hope and dread.
(c) Tears and laughter.
(d) Love and hate.
15. Why does Giovanni's landlady originally tell Giovanni to look at the window?
(a) To see the moon.
(b) To feel the sun.
(c) To feel the breeze.
(d) To see the view.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lisabetta tell Giovanni she has found?
2. What does Baglioni think Rappaccini should be held strictly accountable for?
3. What is the only thing that Baglioni says he knows about Beatrice?
4. Who meets Giovanni at the door of his lodgings?
5. What does the author say Lisabetta's smile looks like?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)