|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the monkeys and bears go after Rama’s coronation?
2. How old are Kusa and Lava when they come to tell the Ramayana at the festival?
3. What does Vasishtha do to make Rama king?
4. Who goes to tell Sita that Rama has won?
5. After his victory, what is Rama presented with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Khumbakarna give Ravana before he goes to fight?
2. What is the outcome of Ravana’s conversation with time?
3. Describe Sita’s interaction with Ravana as Hanuman is watching.
4. How does Rama send a final warning to Ravana?
5. How does Rama kill Khumbakarna?
6. Describe Rama’s return to the throne of Ayodhya.
7. How is Ravana killed?
8. How do Rama and Samudra and Ocean Lord resolve the question of the bridge to Lanka?
9. What happens to Sardula and Sarana?
10. Describe Rama and Sita’s return to Ayodhya.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When is the Ramayana most itself? What is its characteristic passage, or moment? What makes that moment or passage the most representative of the book as a whole? Are there any places where the book seems to depart from its typical self, as if to become a different book?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of the Ramayana—did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)