|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Suka remain loyal to Ravana, even though he sees he is about to die?
2. What does Ravana do to Hanuman?
3. What does Queen Mandodari return to Sita?
4. Where does Rama say that true friendship comes from?
5. After Rama’s victory, what does Vibhishana offer Sita?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sita’s interaction with Ravana as Hanuman is watching.
2. How does Indrajit capture Hanuman, and how does Hanuman get free?
3. Describe General Prahasta’s chariot.
4. How does Rama send a final warning to Ravana?
5. Why does Rama banish Sita?
6. Describe the origins of the Ramayana.
7. How did Mainaka come to be at the bottom of the sea?
8. What happens after Hanuman’s tail is lit on fire?
9. Describe Rama’s return to the throne of Ayodhya.
10. Describe Rama and Sita’s return to Ayodhya.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the audience for the Ramayana? What is the ideal reader for the Ramayana likely to think about the book’s main topics? How does this book try to affect the reader? What is it trying to teach him or her, or get him or her to do?
Essay Topic 2
How would you compare the Ramayana to a work of Western myth or religion, such as the Iliad (also about an abducted wife), the Odyssey (about a man’s wanderings) the Aeneid (about great battles) or the Bible (about a culture finding its religion)? Using examples from the text of the Ramayana and the text of a text you are familiar with, describe what kind of culture is encapsulated in the Ramayana.
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of the Ramayana. What is this book’s place in culture? What are its uses? What are its limitations?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)