|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do humans win favors from gods in the Ramayana?
2. Who offers Sita food?
3. What does the crow surrender, when he apologizes to Rama?
4. What is it that allows Ravana to defeat Jatayu?
5. What is the importance of the golden hill Meru?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rama and Lakshmana’s training by Viswamitra.
2. Describe the history of Five-Apsarasa Lake.
3. How did Ravana win the Battle of the Heaven?
4. Describe the birth of Rama, Lakshmana, Bharata and Satrughna.
5. How does Sita allow herself to be abducted?
6. Why does Agastya replace Rama’s bow?
7. How did the statue of Shiva save Guha’s life?
8. Why does Kaikeyi ask for Rama to be sent away?
9. How does Ravana defeat Jatayu and escape with Sita?
10. Describe Dasaratha’s funeral.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the history of the Ramayana’s development as a poem. What cultural conditions led to the creation of the poem? To what kinds of cultural questions was the Ramayana an attempted answer?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the most important plot points in the Ramayana. What is at stake in each of these moments? What possibilities do these moments present, and how are those possibilities channeled into specific actions or events? How does the plot chart its course between other alternative and possible plots?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)