|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the search for Sita broken up?
2. What equipment of Rama’s does Agastya replace?
3. What is the importance of the golden hill Meru?
4. What does Agni do for Indra after Indra seduces Gautama’s wife?
5. What did Bharata see in his dream, when Dasaratha died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bharata’s meeting with Guha.
2. Describe Rama and Lakshmana’s training by Viswamitra.
3. Why does Dasaratha decide that he wants to see Rama made king, and what do his advisors say?
4. Describe the birth of Rama, Lakshmana, Bharata and Satrughna.
5. How does Dasaratha describe Rama’s banishment as punishment for his own actions?
6. How did Agastya tame the upstart Vindhya Hills?
7. How is Bharata convinced to leave Rama in the forest, and accept the throne of Ayodhya himself?
8. What is Bharata’s response when he hears that Dasaratha is dead?
9. How does Hanuman characterize the story of Rama and Sita to Jambavan?
10. Describe Sita’s origins, and how she comes to be Rama’s wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you recommend the Ramayana? For what purposes would you recommend the Ramayana, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the audience for the Ramayana? What is the ideal reader for the Ramayana likely to think about the book’s main topics? How does this book try to affect the reader? What is it trying to teach him or her, or get him or her to do?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)