|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bharata answer when Bharadwaja says that he knows that the king is dead?
2. What test does Rama pass, to marry Sita?
3. Who wins the drinking contest Lakshmana enters into?
4. What do the queens do in Dasaratha’s name, after his funeral?
5. What does Ravana risk with his desire to steal Sita?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ravana defeat Jatayu and escape with Sita?
2. What kind of relationship do Sita and Ravana have, from their first meeting?
3. Why does Dasaratha decide that he wants to see Rama made king, and what do his advisors say?
4. How does Rama finally motivate Sugriva to start searching for Sita?
5. How does Hanuman characterize the story of Rama and Sita to Jambavan?
6. Describe the wedding of Rama and Sita.
7. Why does Agastya replace Rama’s bow?
8. How did Ravana win the Battle of the Heaven?
9. Why does Kaikeyi ask for Rama to be sent away?
10. When had Kaikeyi almost used her two wishes previously?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
When is the Ramayana most itself? What is its characteristic passage, or moment? What makes that moment or passage the most representative of the book as a whole? Are there any places where the book seems to depart from its typical self, as if to become a different book?
Essay Topic 3
What does the Ramayana tell the reader about the relations between men and women, husbands and wives? Using examples from the text, describe the poem’s lessons for relations between the sexes.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)