|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maricha get Ravana interested in killing Rama?
2. What does Savari tell Rama to seek, in the midst of misfortune?
3. Why can’t Ravana force Sita?
4. Why does Rama go after the deer in spite of Lakshmana’s warning that it is an illusion?
5. How does Sugriva say he learned the layout of the earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the birth of Rama, Lakshmana, Bharata and Satrughna.
2. How does Sita allow herself to be abducted?
3. Why does Kaikeyi ask for Rama to be sent away?
4. How does Dasaratha describe Rama’s banishment as punishment for his own actions?
5. How does Rama help Hanuman?
6. What is Sita’s response when she hears about Rama’s exile?
7. Why does Rama insist on going into the Dandaka Forest, against Sita’s wishes?
8. Describe Rama and Lakshmana’s training by Viswamitra.
9. How did Ravana win the Battle of the Heaven?
10. How did Agastya tame the upstart Vindhya Hills?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Ramayana tell the reader about the relations between men and women, husbands and wives? Using examples from the text, describe the poem’s lessons for relations between the sexes.
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary purpose of the Ramayana? What kinds of purposes does it attempt to serve—explaining the history of the world, describing the right way to live, etc. Using examples from the text, propose one mode that is most important. Be sure to say why the others are not as important.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is the Ramayana relevant to contemporary readers? What contemporary issues are in play in the book, and how would the book contribute to contemporary discussion? Cite specific discussions from contemporary sources, and cite specific instances from the book, that describe its contemporary relevance.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)