|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first to rid the earth of Rakshasas?
2. In whose name does Maricha appeal to Ravana, to leave Sita alone?
3. How does Rama shake off the people who follow him?
4. What do Rama and Lakshmana learn from this teacher?
5. What does Lakshmana propose to do on hearing that Rama is to be banished?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rama finally motivate Sugriva to start searching for Sita?
2. How did the statue of Shiva save Guha’s life?
3. Why does Dasaratha decide that he wants to see Rama made king, and what do his advisors say?
4. Describe Rama and Lakshmana’s training by Viswamitra.
5. What is Bharata’s response when he hears that Dasaratha is dead?
6. How does Rama help Hanuman?
7. What kind of relationship do Sita and Ravana have, from their first meeting?
8. Describe the history of Five-Apsarasa Lake.
9. How is Bharata convinced to leave Rama in the forest, and accept the throne of Ayodhya himself?
10. Why does Kaikeyi ask for Rama to be sent away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of the Ramayana. What is this book’s place in culture? What are its uses? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
What does the Ramayana tell the reader about the relations between men and women, husbands and wives? Using examples from the text, describe the poem’s lessons for relations between the sexes.
Essay Topic 3
What topics would you like to research further after reading the Ramayana? Describe why additional research or reading would be beneficial to an understanding of this book. Propose a list of articles or books you would read in order to get a better handle on the Ramayana.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)