|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Johnson's personality can be described as:
2. What is the first thing Ruth will do in the new house?
3. How long has Beneatha wanted to be a doctor?
4. Mama advises Beneatha:
5. Walter Lee grabs Bobo and:
Short Essay Questions
1. Beneatha says that there's nothing left of Walter Lee to love now. How does Mama respond?
2. Is Mrs. Johnson sincere when she says, "I'm soooo happy for y'all"? Explain.
3. Mama serves sweet potato pie to Mrs. Johnson. What is sweet potato pie?
4. Mama says she's tired after work. She has climbed steps to get into the apartment. Explain why she didn't use an elevator.
5. Instead of going to his job for several days, Walter Lee spent the time driving away from the city. Why did he do this and where did he go?
6. Travis says that he wants to be a bus driver. How do Walter Lee's dreams for Travis differ from his son's?
7. How do the onstage character to react to Mr. Lindner's offer to buy their new house? Describe their emotions.
8. At the end of the play, Mama tells Ruth that Walter Lee "finally come into his manhood today." What does it mean to come into your manhood?
9. Why is Beneatha upset at Walter Lee in this scene?
10. Before this scene we hadn't realized the scope of Walter Lee's dreams. What are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does racism perpetuate poverty, or does poverty intensify racism? Or are the two problems completely separate? Explore these questions in an essay.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the play, Mama tells Ruth that Walter Lee came into "his manhood." What is Mama saying about male gender roles? How does her attitude contrast with Walter Lee's thoughts about manhood?
Essay Topic 3
What is the central purpose of this play? What response do you think Lorraine Hansberry wanted from the audience? How does each character support her purpose? Write an essay exploring these questions.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)