|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Beneatha unhappy?
2. Who are Mr. And Mrs. Arnold?
3. Where did Walter Lee put the money?
4. Beneatha tells Mama that George is:
5. Why does Walter Lee thank Willie Harris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter Lee ask Karl Lindner to come back to the apartment?
2. Is Mrs. Johnson sincere when she says, "I'm soooo happy for y'all"? Explain.
3. Walter Lee asks Mr. Lindner to get out, but Mr. Lindner leaves something behind. What?
4. What does Joseph Asagai tell Beneatha he wants to do with his life?
5. After giving $3500 to the reatlors, Mama makes a brave decision by giving Walter Lee the rest of the insurance money. What is the significance of her action?
6. Why does Walter Lee finally decide not to take Karl Lindner's money?
7. How does Ruth react to Mama giving up on the move to the new house?
8. Why is Beneatha upset at Walter Lee in this scene?
9. In this scene, Walter Lee's mood has changed for the better from his depression earlier. How does he express his happier feelings?
10. How does Walter Lee find out that Mama's money is gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play, Mama tells Ruth that Walter Lee came into "his manhood." What is Mama saying about male gender roles? How does her attitude contrast with Walter Lee's thoughts about manhood?
Essay Topic 2
Lorraine Hansberry includes extensive stage directions in her play. Explain how her stage directions add or detract from the play for the reader. Include specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The author introduces many references in this play, from Hughes to Henry David Thoreau to Greek mythology and African songs. What do these references add to the play? How do they expand the universality of the themes?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)