|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Beneatha listens to Mr. Lindner, she:
2. Beneatha says she wants to:
3. What did people say about Mama when she was a child?
4. Mrs. Johnson thinks Walter is:
5. What does Mama ask Beneatha and Ruth to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beneatha want to do at the end of the play?
2. At the end of the play, Mama tells Ruth that Walter Lee "finally come into his manhood today." What does it mean to come into your manhood?
3. Ruth wants to take a hot bath at the new house. Explain why that is a luxury for her.
4. Why does Walter Lee ask Karl Lindner to come back to the apartment?
5. How does Mama show understanding when Beneatha says that George is a fool?
6. Beneatha sarcastically asks George "Why read books---why go to school?" Give her answer.
7. How do we know that Beneatha tends to hold political positions that promote civil rights?
8. How does Walter Lee find out that Mama's money is gone?
9. Before this scene we hadn't realized the scope of Walter Lee's dreams. What are they?
10. Why does Walter Lee finally decide not to take Karl Lindner's money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play, Mama tells Ruth that Walter Lee came into "his manhood." What is Mama saying about male gender roles? How does her attitude contrast with Walter Lee's thoughts about manhood?
Essay Topic 2
In speaking about the new house, Ruth asks Mama, "Is there a whole lot of sunlight?" Explain the dramatic contrast of the dark, dingy apartment set with the idea of a room full of light. What does a new environment represent to the Younger family?
Essay Topic 3
Lorraine Hansberry uses many images in this play. Walter Lee is particularly visual when he speaks about his dreams. Examine the imagery he uses and how it support his character.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)