|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Walter Lee explains he drove out to look at:
2. Beneatha thinks Mama looks like:
3. How does Mr. Lindner describe the people in Clybourne Park?
4. Where did Ruth go with Walter Lee?
5. While Beneatha listens to Mr. Lindner, she:
Short Essay Questions
1. A new character, Mr. Karl Lindner, appears at the door. How is he greeted by the adult Youngers?
2. Beneatha sarcastically asks George "Why read books---why go to school?" Give her answer.
3. How does Ruth react to Mama giving up on the move to the new house?
4. Travis says that he wants to be a bus driver. How do Walter Lee's dreams for Travis differ from his son's?
5. Instead of going to his job for several days, Walter Lee spent the time driving away from the city. Why did he do this and where did he go?
6. Ruth thinks that the sign Beneatha is making for a box of china can be seen from an airplane. What is Ruth implying about Beneatha?
7. How does Walter Lee find out that Mama's money is gone?
8. Walter Lee asks Mr. Lindner to get out, but Mr. Lindner leaves something behind. What?
9. Who is the first family member to be suspicious of Mr. Lindner's real intent?
10. Why does Walter Lee finally decide not to take Karl Lindner's money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Mama exercises her power over family members, especially the male characters Walter and Travis. How does she include or exclude them?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the spirituality of the characters in this play. What is their relationship to God and higher powers? Are the Youngers spiritual or not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay examining how this play relates to the American Dream. Is there one American Dream or are there many different ones? What is this play saying about the Americans and their dreams?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)