|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beneatha says she wants to:
2. What does Ruth tell Travis to do when Karl Lindner arrives?
3. According to Joseph Asagai, what is exceptional in his village?
4. What does Beneatha call Walter Lee?
5. What does Mama say when Karl Lindner appeals to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Beneatha says that there's nothing left of Walter Lee to love now. How does Mama respond?
2. Describe Walter Lee's body language as he approaches Karl Lindner to accept the man's offer.
3. Who is the first family member to be suspicious of Mr. Lindner's real intent?
4. Mama explains to Mrs. Johnson that Walter Lee is busy resting. What conclusion does Mrs. Johnson jump to on hearing that?
5. Why does Walter Lee finally decide not to take Karl Lindner's money?
6. Ruth wants to take a hot bath at the new house. Explain why that is a luxury for her.
7. Ruth thinks that the sign Beneatha is making for a box of china can be seen from an airplane. What is Ruth implying about Beneatha?
8. In this scene, Walter Lee's mood has changed for the better from his depression earlier. How does he express his happier feelings?
9. Before this scene we hadn't realized the scope of Walter Lee's dreams. What are they?
10. How does Walter Lee find out that Mama's money is gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In speaking about the new house, Ruth asks Mama, "Is there a whole lot of sunlight?" Explain the dramatic contrast of the dark, dingy apartment set with the idea of a room full of light. What does a new environment represent to the Younger family?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism of the props in this play, including Mama's plant, the poison being spread to kill the cockroaches, and the Nigerian clothing that Joseph Asagai brings.
Essay Topic 3
The location of the new house presents a new problem for the Youngers. Describe the challenge they will be facing in an all-white neighborhood.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)