|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Walter Lee thank Willie Harris?
2. Beneatha thinks Mama looks like:
3. Beneatha walks by dressed in:
4. Joseph Asaigai says that Beneatha is grateful to her brother because:
5. What is the mood at the beginning of this act?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Walter Lee's body language as he approaches Karl Lindner to accept the man's offer.
2. Instead of going to his job for several days, Walter Lee spent the time driving away from the city. Why did he do this and where did he go?
3. Mama serves sweet potato pie to Mrs. Johnson. What is sweet potato pie?
4. How do the onstage character to react to Mr. Lindner's offer to buy their new house? Describe their emotions.
5. Why is Beneatha upset at Walter Lee in this scene?
6. Beneatha sarcastically asks George "Why read books---why go to school?" Give her answer.
7. Before this scene we hadn't realized the scope of Walter Lee's dreams. What are they?
8. Who is the first family member to be suspicious of Mr. Lindner's real intent?
9. Why does Walter Lee finally decide not to take Karl Lindner's money?
10. Why does Walter Lee ask Karl Lindner to come back to the apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lorraine Hansberry was a notable African-American. She was also a woman. People tend to consider both perspectives as somehow more specialized than white, male perspectives. Do you agree? Write an essay addressing the question of whether this play is primarily an "African-American" play or a "Woman's" play.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism of the props in this play, including Mama's plant, the poison being spread to kill the cockroaches, and the Nigerian clothing that Joseph Asagai brings.
Essay Topic 3
The location of the new house presents a new problem for the Youngers. Describe the challenge they will be facing in an all-white neighborhood.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)