|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Johnson reads a newspaper headline about:
2. Who does Walter Lee want Beneatha to marry?
3. Mr. Arnold had to take a taxi because:
4. What did people say about Mama when she was a child?
5. What offer does Agasai make to Beneatha?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mama show understanding when Beneatha says that George is a fool?
2. How do we know that Beneatha tends to hold political positions that promote civil rights?
3. Ruth tells Beneatha she went out with Walter Lee the night before. Why is that special?
4. Mama says she's tired after work. She has climbed steps to get into the apartment. Explain why she didn't use an elevator.
5. Before this scene we hadn't realized the scope of Walter Lee's dreams. What are they?
6. How does Walter Lee find out that Mama's money is gone?
7. What does Joseph Asagai tell Beneatha he wants to do with his life?
8. Why does Walter Lee finally decide not to take Karl Lindner's money?
9. Why does Mama insist on Travis staying while Walter Lee talks to Karl Lindner?
10. Why does Walter Lee ask Karl Lindner to come back to the apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The location of the new house presents a new problem for the Youngers. Describe the challenge they will be facing in an all-white neighborhood.
Essay Topic 2
The Younger family lives in cramped quarters. Describe the physical changes needed to accommodate an infant in the apartment, and how it will impact their relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Mama exercises her power over family members, especially the male characters Walter and Travis. How does she include or exclude them?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)