|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter Lee do when he sees the check?
2. What does Walter Lee give Travis?
3. Ruth changes her mind about
4. What does Mama ask Travis?
5. What term does he use to describe Beneatha's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ruth so embarrassed by Walter Lee and Beneatha when George Murchison comes in?
2. Why is it difficult for members of the Younger family to use the bathroom in the morning?
3. What function does Joseph Asagai provide in this play about an African-American family?
4. Why does Beneatha have to wait to use the bathroom when she wakes up?
5. Why is Beneatha reluctant to let a visitor come over to the apartment on this morning?
6. How does Beneatha differ from the other members of her family?
7. Why did Mama decide to buy a new house for the family?
8. Ruth scolds Walter Lee for keeping Travis up the night before. How did Walter Lee do that?
9. What does Walter Lee do when he sees Beneatha in her Nigerian costume?
10. Mama already has plans for the insurance money. What are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the characters in this play have specific relationships to money or the lack thereof. Examine the theme of money in this play and how it affects the various characters.
Essay Topic 2
The author introduces many references in this play, from Hughes to Henry David Thoreau to Greek mythology and African songs. What do these references add to the play? How do they expand the universality of the themes?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and describe the following dramatic structures in the play: Exposition, Rising Action, Turning Points, Climax, and Falling Action. Use dialogue and text examples to support your descriptions.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)