|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character starts the play on stage?
2. How long did Mama and Big Walter plan on living in their apartment when they moved in?
3. What does Beneatha say she's going out to do?
4. George defines assimilationist Negroes as:
5. What does Travis ask Mama?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mama waiting for Walter Lee to do after she tells him about Ruth's pregnancy?
2. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
3. What does Walter Lee do when he sees Beneatha in her Nigerian costume?
4. What function does Joseph Asagai provide in this play about an African-American family?
5. Why is Mama suspicious when Ruth refers to the doctor as a female?
6. How does Mama react when her neighbor, Mrs. Johnson, refuses to lend her some cleanser?
7. Why does Walter Lee get upset at Mama when she tells him about her plans for the insurance money?
8. What conclusion do Ruth and Walter Lee come to about their marriage in this scene?
9. Describe Walter Lee's future, as he sees it.
10. How does Mama react to Beneatha asking whether Ruth "planned" her baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the characters in this play have specific relationships to money or the lack thereof. Examine the theme of money in this play and how it affects the various characters.
Essay Topic 2
Identify and describe the following dramatic structures in the play: Exposition, Rising Action, Turning Points, Climax, and Falling Action. Use dialogue and text examples to support your descriptions.
Essay Topic 3
Lorraine Hansberry includes extensive stage directions in her play. Explain how her stage directions add or detract from the play for the reader. Include specific examples from the text.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)