|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the action of this play set?
2. What does he mean by that term?
3. What is Beneatha's relationship to Ruth?
4. What does Walter Lee give Travis?
5. How much did Ruth give the abortionist?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beneatha differ from the other members of her family?
2. What is Ruth referring to when she talks to George about "them bombs and things they keep setting off?"
3. Walter Lee mentions that Mama is expecting something to arrive in the mail. What is she expecting?
4. Why do Ruth and Walter Lee react so strongly to the idea of moving to Clybourne Park?
5. How do Walter Lee and Ruth react when Mama tells them she bought a house in Clybourne Park?
6. Ruth scolds Walter Lee for keeping Travis up the night before. How did Walter Lee do that?
7. What does Walter Lee do when he sees Beneatha in her Nigerian costume?
8. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
9. Why is it difficult for members of the Younger family to use the bathroom in the morning?
10. Why do you think Ruth fainted at the end of the scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the symbolism of the props in this play, including Mama's plant, the poison being spread to kill the cockroaches, and the Nigerian clothing that Joseph Asagai brings.
Essay Topic 2
Hansberry starts the play with a poem by Langston Hughes about a "dream deferred." Explain how this poem and its images relate to the play.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Mama, Ruth, and Beneatha represent changing feminine roles in society.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)