|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth announce to Mama and Beneatha?
2. Where does Travis sleep?
3. What was the name of the baby Mama and Big Walter lost?
4. Ruth tells Walter Lee she is sorry about:
5. How much money does Walter Lee need for his plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ruth scolds Walter Lee for keeping Travis up the night before. How did Walter Lee do that?
2. Describe Walter Lee's future, as he sees it.
3. How does the author let the reader know that Beneatha is inauthentic in the way she wears her Nigerian costume?
4. Why does Beneatha have to wait to use the bathroom when she wakes up?
5. Walter Lee mentions that Mama is expecting something to arrive in the mail. What is she expecting?
6. Why is it difficult for members of the Younger family to use the bathroom in the morning?
7. Why do Ruth and Walter Lee react so strongly to the idea of moving to Clybourne Park?
8. Why did Mama decide to buy a new house for the family?
9. What is Mama waiting for Walter Lee to do after she tells him about Ruth's pregnancy?
10. Which members of the Younger family share each of the two bedrooms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lorraine Hansberry uses many images in this play. Walter Lee is particularly visual when he speaks about his dreams. Examine the imagery he uses and how it support his character.
Essay Topic 2
Hansberry starts the play with a poem by Langston Hughes about a "dream deferred." Explain how this poem and its images relate to the play.
Essay Topic 3
The location of the new house presents a new problem for the Youngers. Describe the challenge they will be facing in an all-white neighborhood.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)