|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the baby Mama and Big Walter lost?
2. How long did Mama and Big Walter plan on living in their apartment when they moved in?
3. Where did Mama go?
4. What does Walter Lee do when he sees the check?
5. Where does Travis sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Walter Lee and Ruth react when Mama tells them she bought a house in Clybourne Park?
2. How does the author let the reader know that Beneatha is inauthentic in the way she wears her Nigerian costume?
3. Why do Ruth and Walter Lee react so strongly to the idea of moving to Clybourne Park?
4. How does Beneatha surprise George before they go out on their date?
5. What does Walter Lee taunt George about as they wait for Beneatha?
6. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
7. Describe Walter Lee's future, as he sees it.
8. Why is Beneatha reluctant to let a visitor come over to the apartment on this morning?
9. What conclusion do Ruth and Walter Lee come to about their marriage in this scene?
10. Why is Ruth so embarrassed by Walter Lee and Beneatha when George Murchison comes in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Younger family lives in cramped quarters. Describe the physical changes needed to accommodate an infant in the apartment, and how it will impact their relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism of the props in this play, including Mama's plant, the poison being spread to kill the cockroaches, and the Nigerian clothing that Joseph Asagai brings.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the spirituality of the characters in this play. What is their relationship to God and higher powers? Are the Youngers spiritual or not?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)