|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beneatha's visitor treat Mama?
2. According to Walter Lee, money is:
3. Why does Walter come back after leaving the apartment?
4. What does Walter Lee want to do?
5. What country is Beneatha's visitor originally from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ruth so embarrassed by Walter Lee and Beneatha when George Murchison comes in?
2. Ruth scolds Walter Lee for keeping Travis up the night before. How did Walter Lee do that?
3. How do Walter Lee and Ruth react when Mama tells them she bought a house in Clybourne Park?
4. Mama already has plans for the insurance money. What are they?
5. Why did Mama decide to buy a new house for the family?
6. Describe Walter Lee's future, as he sees it.
7. What is Ruth referring to when she talks to George about "them bombs and things they keep setting off?"
8. Why does Beneatha have to wait to use the bathroom when she wakes up?
9. What is Beneatha afraid that Mama will do when Beneatha's visitor arrives?
10. How does Mama react to Beneatha asking whether Ruth "planned" her baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George calls Walter Lee "Prometheus." Expand his meaning with an essay that explains how Walter resembles this Greek god.
Essay Topic 2
The Younger family lives in cramped quarters. Describe the physical changes needed to accommodate an infant in the apartment, and how it will impact their relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the symbolism of the props in this play, including Mama's plant, the poison being spread to kill the cockroaches, and the Nigerian clothing that Joseph Asagai brings.
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)