|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth is doing a domestic chore. What is it?
2. About how old is Walter Lee Younger?
3. Where will George take Beneatha on their date?Where will George take Beneatha on their date?
4. How does Mama react to Beneatha's statement that God no longer exists?
5. Ruth is joyful. She shouts goodbye to:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter Lee get upset at Mama when she tells him about her plans for the insurance money?
2. Why is Ruth so embarrassed by Walter Lee and Beneatha when George Murchison comes in?
3. Why is Mama suspicious when Ruth refers to the doctor as a female?
4. Why do Ruth and Walter Lee react so strongly to the idea of moving to Clybourne Park?
5. Why is it difficult for members of the Younger family to use the bathroom in the morning?
6. How does the author let the reader know that Beneatha is inauthentic in the way she wears her Nigerian costume?
7. What is Mama waiting for Walter Lee to do after she tells him about Ruth's pregnancy?
8. Why did Mama decide to buy a new house for the family?
9. Why do you think Ruth fainted at the end of the scene?
10. How does Beneatha differ from the other members of her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the characters in this play have specific relationships to money or the lack thereof. Examine the theme of money in this play and how it affects the various characters.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining how this play relates to the American Dream. Is there one American Dream or are there many different ones? What is this play saying about the Americans and their dreams?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the spirituality of the characters in this play. What is their relationship to God and higher powers? Are the Youngers spiritual or not?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)