|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth call Beneatha's hair style?
2. What does Mama warn Walter Lee about?
3. What does Ruth think of Willie?
4. What does Travis do on his way out?
5. Where will George take Beneatha on their date?Where will George take Beneatha on their date?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which members of the Younger family share each of the two bedrooms?
2. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
3. What function does Joseph Asagai provide in this play about an African-American family?
4. What conclusion do Ruth and Walter Lee come to about their marriage in this scene?
5. Why do you think Ruth fainted at the end of the scene?
6. Why is Ruth so embarrassed by Walter Lee and Beneatha when George Murchison comes in?
7. Mama already has plans for the insurance money. What are they?
8. How do Walter Lee and Ruth react when Mama tells them she bought a house in Clybourne Park?
9. How does Mama react when her neighbor, Mrs. Johnson, refuses to lend her some cleanser?
10. Why is Mama suspicious when Ruth refers to the doctor as a female?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lorraine Hansberry was a notable African-American. She was also a woman. People tend to consider both perspectives as somehow more specialized than white, male perspectives. Do you agree? Write an essay addressing the question of whether this play is primarily an "African-American" play or a "Woman's" play.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining how this play relates to the American Dream. Is there one American Dream or are there many different ones? What is this play saying about the Americans and their dreams?
Essay Topic 3
Research and write a report about one of the following subjects. Be sure to include the subject's relationship to the play, A Raisin in the Sun.
a) Black Power
b) Black Pride
c) Black Arts Movement
d) Black Nationalism
e) "Black is Beautiful" movement
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)