|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Mama and Big Walter plan on living in their apartment when they moved in?
2. What is the first thing Ruth does on stage?
3. What is in the letter they are expecting?
4. What does Travis bring in for Mama?
5. Ruth offers Walter Lee:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
2. Ruth scolds Walter Lee for keeping Travis up the night before. How did Walter Lee do that?
3. Travis asks repeatedly where his mother, Ruth, is during this scene. Why doesn't Mama answer his question?
4. Mama already has plans for the insurance money. What are they?
5. How does Mama react to Beneatha asking whether Ruth "planned" her baby?
6. What is Ruth referring to when she talks to George about "them bombs and things they keep setting off?"
7. What is Beneatha afraid that Mama will do when Beneatha's visitor arrives?
8. How do Walter Lee and Ruth react when Mama tells them she bought a house in Clybourne Park?
9. What does Walter Lee taunt George about as they wait for Beneatha?
10. Walter Lee mentions that Mama is expecting something to arrive in the mail. What is she expecting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lorraine Hansberry uses many images in this play. Walter Lee is particularly visual when he speaks about his dreams. Examine the imagery he uses and how it support his character.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Mama, Ruth, and Beneatha represent changing feminine roles in society.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and describe the following dramatic structures in the play: Exposition, Rising Action, Turning Points, Climax, and Falling Action. Use dialogue and text examples to support your descriptions.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)