|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mama go?
2. Where does Beneatha expect to get her tuition from?
3. Beneatha turns off the radio which was playing:
4. How does Beneatha's visitor treat Mama?
5. Under the influence of alcohol, Walter Lee dramatically ridicules what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which members of the Younger family share each of the two bedrooms?
2. How does Beneatha surprise George before they go out on their date?
3. Walter Lee mentions that Mama is expecting something to arrive in the mail. What is she expecting?
4. Describe Walter Lee's future, as he sees it.
5. What does Walter Lee do when he sees Beneatha in her Nigerian costume?
6. Why is Ruth so embarrassed by Walter Lee and Beneatha when George Murchison comes in?
7. What is the importance of Mama's spindly plant to her character?
8. What conclusion do Ruth and Walter Lee come to about their marriage in this scene?
9. How does Mama react to Beneatha asking whether Ruth "planned" her baby?
10. What does Walter Lee taunt George about as they wait for Beneatha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the central purpose of this play? What response do you think Lorraine Hansberry wanted from the audience? How does each character support her purpose? Write an essay exploring these questions.
Essay Topic 2
Hansberry starts the play with a poem by Langston Hughes about a "dream deferred." Explain how this poem and its images relate to the play.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and describe the following dramatic structures in the play: Exposition, Rising Action, Turning Points, Climax, and Falling Action. Use dialogue and text examples to support your descriptions.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)