|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beneatha see Travis doing?
2. What does Travis ask Mama?
3. Ruth changes her mind about
4. Why does Walter come back after leaving the apartment?
5. Who is acting as head of the Younger family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion do Ruth and Walter Lee come to about their marriage in this scene?
2. Describe Walter Lee's future, as he sees it.
3. What function does Joseph Asagai provide in this play about an African-American family?
4. Why did Mama decide to buy a new house for the family?
5. What does Walter Lee do when he sees Beneatha in her Nigerian costume?
6. Why do Ruth and Walter Lee react so strongly to the idea of moving to Clybourne Park?
7. How does Mama react to Beneatha asking whether Ruth "planned" her baby?
8. Why is Mama suspicious when Ruth refers to the doctor as a female?
9. Why does Beneatha have to wait to use the bathroom when she wakes up?
10. Ruth scolds Walter Lee for keeping Travis up the night before. How did Walter Lee do that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Younger family lives in cramped quarters. Describe the physical changes needed to accommodate an infant in the apartment, and how it will impact their relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Identify and describe the following dramatic structures in the play: Exposition, Rising Action, Turning Points, Climax, and Falling Action. Use dialogue and text examples to support your descriptions.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the symbolism of the props in this play, including Mama's plant, the poison being spread to kill the cockroaches, and the Nigerian clothing that Joseph Asagai brings.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)