|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alaiyo mean?
2. What gift does Beneatha's visitor bring?
3. Why does Mama refuse to support Walter Lee's plan to open a liquor store?
4. Beneatha turns off the radio which was playing:
5. What are Mama and Beneatha doing in the beginning of this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mama waiting for Walter Lee to do after she tells him about Ruth's pregnancy?
2. Mama explains to Mrs. Johnson that Walter Lee is busy resting. What conclusion does Mrs. Johnson jump to on hearing that?
3. Beneatha sarcastically asks George "Why read books---why go to school?" Give her answer.
4. What is Ruth referring to when she talks to George about "them bombs and things they keep setting off?"
5. How do the onstage character to react to Mr. Lindner's offer to buy their new house? Describe their emotions.
6. Before this scene we hadn't realized the scope of Walter Lee's dreams. What are they?
7. Why is Beneatha upset at Walter Lee in this scene?
8. Why does Mama insist on Travis staying while Walter Lee talks to Karl Lindner?
9. How does Mama show understanding when Beneatha says that George is a fool?
10. How does Mama react to Beneatha asking whether Ruth "planned" her baby?
Essay Topic 1
Hansberry starts the play with a poem by Langston Hughes about a "dream deferred." Explain how this poem and its images relate to the play.
Essay Topic 2
Does racism perpetuate poverty, or does poverty intensify racism? Or are the two problems completely separate? Explore these questions in an essay.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the spirituality of the characters in this play. What is their relationship to God and higher powers? Are the Youngers spiritual or not?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)