|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth call Beneatha's hair style?
2. Where did Mama go?
3. Who calls Walter Lee on the telephone?
4. What was the former function of Ruth and Walter Lee's bedroom?
5. What does Mama chide Ruth about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter Lee get upset at Mama when she tells him about her plans for the insurance money?
2. Why is it difficult for members of the Younger family to use the bathroom in the morning?
3. What is Mama waiting for Walter Lee to do after she tells him about Ruth's pregnancy?
4. Walter Lee asks Mr. Lindner to get out, but Mr. Lindner leaves something behind. What?
5. What function does Joseph Asagai provide in this play about an African-American family?
6. After giving $3500 to the reatlors, Mama makes a brave decision by giving Walter Lee the rest of the insurance money. What is the significance of her action?
7. How does Beneatha differ from the other members of her family?
8. Why do you think Ruth fainted at the end of the scene?
9. Beneatha says that there's nothing left of Walter Lee to love now. How does Mama respond?
10. Why is Beneatha upset at Walter Lee in this scene?
Essay Topic 1
Does racism perpetuate poverty, or does poverty intensify racism? Or are the two problems completely separate? Explore these questions in an essay.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Mama, Ruth, and Beneatha represent changing feminine roles in society.
Essay Topic 3
George calls Walter Lee "Prometheus." Expand his meaning with an essay that explains how Walter resembles this Greek god.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)