|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter Lee give Travis?
2. Ruth changes her mind about
3. Why does Mama refuse to support Walter Lee's plan to open a liquor store?
4. Who comes to visit Beneatha in this scene?
5. In Walter Lee's imaginary African dance, he gestures with a:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beneatha have to wait to use the bathroom when she wakes up?
2. How does Mama react to Beneatha asking whether Ruth "planned" her baby?
3. What function does Joseph Asagai provide in this play about an African-American family?
4. Why do you think Ruth fainted at the end of the scene?
5. What is Beneatha afraid that Mama will do when Beneatha's visitor arrives?
6. Describe Walter Lee's future, as he sees it.
7. Why is Beneatha reluctant to let a visitor come over to the apartment on this morning?
8. Why does Walter Lee get upset at Mama when she tells him about her plans for the insurance money?
9. Walter Lee mentions that Mama is expecting something to arrive in the mail. What is she expecting?
10. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and describe the following dramatic structures in the play: Exposition, Rising Action, Turning Points, Climax, and Falling Action. Use dialogue and text examples to support your descriptions.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the spirituality of the characters in this play. What is their relationship to God and higher powers? Are the Youngers spiritual or not?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Mama tells Ruth that Walter Lee came into "his manhood." What is Mama saying about male gender roles? How does her attitude contrast with Walter Lee's thoughts about manhood?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)