|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Travis do on his way out?
2. Mama's real name is:
3. Mama asks Walter Lee if he is:
4. What does Travis ask his mother for?
5. Under the influence of alcohol, Walter Lee dramatically ridicules what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of Mama's spindly plant to her character?
2. Travis asks repeatedly where his mother, Ruth, is during this scene. Why doesn't Mama answer his question?
3. Why do Ruth and Walter Lee react so strongly to the idea of moving to Clybourne Park?
4. How does Mama react to Beneatha asking whether Ruth "planned" her baby?
5. Why is it difficult for members of the Younger family to use the bathroom in the morning?
6. Why is Mama suspicious when Ruth refers to the doctor as a female?
7. Walter Lee mentions that Mama is expecting something to arrive in the mail. What is she expecting?
8. What does Walter Lee taunt George about as they wait for Beneatha?
9. Why does Beneatha have to wait to use the bathroom when she wakes up?
10. How does Beneatha surprise George before they go out on their date?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lorraine Hansberry includes extensive stage directions in her play. Explain how her stage directions add or detract from the play for the reader. Include specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is the central purpose of this play? What response do you think Lorraine Hansberry wanted from the audience? How does each character support her purpose? Write an essay exploring these questions.
Essay Topic 3
The author introduces many references in this play, from Hughes to Henry David Thoreau to Greek mythology and African songs. What do these references add to the play? How do they expand the universality of the themes?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)