|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Beneatha's new outfit.
2. Under the influence of alcohol, Walter Lee dramatically ridicules what?
3. What are Mama and Beneatha doing in the beginning of this scene?
4. What does Travis bring in for Mama?
5. How does Walter Lee like his eggs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it difficult for members of the Younger family to use the bathroom in the morning?
2. What is Ruth referring to when she talks to George about "them bombs and things they keep setting off?"
3. Describe Walter Lee's future, as he sees it.
4. Mama already has plans for the insurance money. What are they?
5. Why is Beneatha reluctant to let a visitor come over to the apartment on this morning?
6. How does Mama react when her neighbor, Mrs. Johnson, refuses to lend her some cleanser?
7. Walter Lee mentions that Mama is expecting something to arrive in the mail. What is she expecting?
8. How do Walter Lee and Ruth react when Mama tells them she bought a house in Clybourne Park?
9. Why did Mama decide to buy a new house for the family?
10. What function does Joseph Asagai provide in this play about an African-American family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lorraine Hansberry uses many images in this play. Walter Lee is particularly visual when he speaks about his dreams. Examine the imagery he uses and how it support his character.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Mama exercises her power over family members, especially the male characters Walter and Travis. How does she include or exclude them?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Mama tells Ruth that Walter Lee came into "his manhood." What is Mama saying about male gender roles? How does her attitude contrast with Walter Lee's thoughts about manhood?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)