|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama warn Walter Lee about?
2. How does Mama react to Beneatha's statement that God no longer exists?
3. How much money does Walter Lee need for his plans?
4. Ruth changes her mind about
5. Who makes the first entrance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
2. Why is Mama suspicious when Ruth refers to the doctor as a female?
3. Why do you think Ruth fainted at the end of the scene?
4. Why does Walter Lee get upset at Mama when she tells him about her plans for the insurance money?
5. How does Beneatha differ from the other members of her family?
6. Mama already has plans for the insurance money. What are they?
7. What function does Joseph Asagai provide in this play about an African-American family?
8. Why did Mama decide to buy a new house for the family?
9. Why do Ruth and Walter Lee react so strongly to the idea of moving to Clybourne Park?
10. Describe Walter Lee's future, as he sees it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play, Mama tells Ruth that Walter Lee came into "his manhood." What is Mama saying about male gender roles? How does her attitude contrast with Walter Lee's thoughts about manhood?
Essay Topic 2
Hansberry starts the play with a poem by Langston Hughes about a "dream deferred." Explain how this poem and its images relate to the play.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Mama exercises her power over family members, especially the male characters Walter and Travis. How does she include or exclude them?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)