|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter Lee want to do?
2. George defines assimilationist Negroes as:
3. What does Travis ask Mama?
4. Walter Lee and Ruth speak privately about what serious issue?
5. How does Mama react to Beneatha's statement that God no longer exists?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Walter Lee's future, as he sees it.
2. Why is Ruth so embarrassed by Walter Lee and Beneatha when George Murchison comes in?
3. Why is Mama suspicious when Ruth refers to the doctor as a female?
4. Ruth scolds Walter Lee for keeping Travis up the night before. How did Walter Lee do that?
5. What is the importance of Mama's spindly plant to her character?
6. Travis asks repeatedly where his mother, Ruth, is during this scene. Why doesn't Mama answer his question?
7. Why did Mama decide to buy a new house for the family?
8. How does Beneatha differ from the other members of her family?
9. Why do Ruth and Walter Lee react so strongly to the idea of moving to Clybourne Park?
10. Which members of the Younger family share each of the two bedrooms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Younger family lives in cramped quarters. Describe the physical changes needed to accommodate an infant in the apartment, and how it will impact their relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining how this play relates to the American Dream. Is there one American Dream or are there many different ones? What is this play saying about the Americans and their dreams?
Essay Topic 3
George calls Walter Lee "Prometheus." Expand his meaning with an essay that explains how Walter resembles this Greek god.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)