|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Walter Lee on the telephone?
2. Where did Mama go?
3. Which character starts the play on stage?
4. What does Mama call the apartment?
5. About how old is Walter Lee Younger?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author let the reader know that Beneatha is inauthentic in the way she wears her Nigerian costume?
2. Why does Beneatha have to wait to use the bathroom when she wakes up?
3. Travis asks repeatedly where his mother, Ruth, is during this scene. Why doesn't Mama answer his question?
4. Why do you think Ruth fainted at the end of the scene?
5. Ruth scolds Walter Lee for keeping Travis up the night before. How did Walter Lee do that?
6. Why is Ruth so embarrassed by Walter Lee and Beneatha when George Murchison comes in?
7. What is Ruth referring to when she talks to George about "them bombs and things they keep setting off?"
8. Mama already has plans for the insurance money. What are they?
9. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
10. Why is Beneatha reluctant to let a visitor come over to the apartment on this morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Mama, Ruth, and Beneatha represent changing feminine roles in society.
Essay Topic 2
Identify and describe the following dramatic structures in the play: Exposition, Rising Action, Turning Points, Climax, and Falling Action. Use dialogue and text examples to support your descriptions.
Essay Topic 3
Does racism perpetuate poverty, or does poverty intensify racism? Or are the two problems completely separate? Explore these questions in an essay.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)