|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beneatha turns off the radio which was playing:
2. What does Ruth forbid Travis to do?
3. How much money does Walter Lee need for his plans?
4. The house has how many bedrooms?
5. Mama's real name is:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beneatha surprise George before they go out on their date?
2. What is the importance of Mama's spindly plant to her character?
3. Why is Mama suspicious when Ruth refers to the doctor as a female?
4. Ruth scolds Walter Lee for keeping Travis up the night before. How did Walter Lee do that?
5. Why is it difficult for members of the Younger family to use the bathroom in the morning?
6. Why does Walter Lee get upset at Mama when she tells him about her plans for the insurance money?
7. Describe Walter Lee's future, as he sees it.
8. What does Walter Lee taunt George about as they wait for Beneatha?
9. Travis asks repeatedly where his mother, Ruth, is during this scene. Why doesn't Mama answer his question?
10. Why is Ruth so embarrassed by Walter Lee and Beneatha when George Murchison comes in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Younger family lives in cramped quarters. Describe the physical changes needed to accommodate an infant in the apartment, and how it will impact their relationships.
Essay Topic 2
The location of the new house presents a new problem for the Youngers. Describe the challenge they will be facing in an all-white neighborhood.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Mama, Ruth, and Beneatha represent changing feminine roles in society.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)