|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the house that Mama bought?
2. About how old is Walter Lee Younger?
3. What does Travis ask Mama?
4. What was the name of the baby Mama and Big Walter lost?
5. Walter Lee has been out talking to:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Beneatha afraid that Mama will do when Beneatha's visitor arrives?
2. Ruth scolds Walter Lee for keeping Travis up the night before. How did Walter Lee do that?
3. What does Walter Lee taunt George about as they wait for Beneatha?
4. What is the importance of Mama's spindly plant to her character?
5. How does Beneatha differ from the other members of her family?
6. What function does Joseph Asagai provide in this play about an African-American family?
7. How does the author let the reader know that Beneatha is inauthentic in the way she wears her Nigerian costume?
8. How does Mama react when her neighbor, Mrs. Johnson, refuses to lend her some cleanser?
9. Why is it difficult for members of the Younger family to use the bathroom in the morning?
10. What is Ruth referring to when she talks to George about "them bombs and things they keep setting off?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The location of the new house presents a new problem for the Youngers. Describe the challenge they will be facing in an all-white neighborhood.
Essay Topic 2
George calls Walter Lee "Prometheus." Expand his meaning with an essay that explains how Walter resembles this Greek god.
Essay Topic 3
Research and write a report about one of the following subjects. Be sure to include the subject's relationship to the play, A Raisin in the Sun.
a) Black Power
b) Black Pride
c) Black Arts Movement
d) Black Nationalism
e) "Black is Beautiful" movement
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)