|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mama react to Beneatha's statement that God no longer exists?
2. Ruth changes her mind about
3. What is Beneatha's relationship to Ruth?
4. What is revealed when Beneatha takes off her headdress?
5. What does Travis ask his mother for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Walter Lee do when he sees Beneatha in her Nigerian costume?
2. How does Mama react to Beneatha asking whether Ruth "planned" her baby?
3. Why do you think Ruth fainted at the end of the scene?
4. How does Beneatha surprise George before they go out on their date?
5. Mama already has plans for the insurance money. What are they?
6. Which members of the Younger family share each of the two bedrooms?
7. Walter Lee mentions that Mama is expecting something to arrive in the mail. What is she expecting?
8. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
9. Why is Beneatha reluctant to let a visitor come over to the apartment on this morning?
10. Why is Mama suspicious when Ruth refers to the doctor as a female?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Younger family lives in cramped quarters. Describe the physical changes needed to accommodate an infant in the apartment, and how it will impact their relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Lorraine Hansberry includes extensive stage directions in her play. Explain how her stage directions add or detract from the play for the reader. Include specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Does racism perpetuate poverty, or does poverty intensify racism? Or are the two problems completely separate? Explore these questions in an essay.
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)