|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama say they'll be if Walter Lee takes Karl Lindner's money?
(a) Dead inside
(b) Cheaters and liars
(c) Poor as church mice
(d) Just like thieves
2. What, according to Mama, happened to Walter Lee in this scene?
(a) He learned an important lesson
(b) He came into his manhood
(c) He lost his head in a crisis
(d) He saved the family from disaster
3. What is Walter Lee looking for when he searches the apartment?
(a) His paycheck
(b) Karl Lindner's card
(c) A betting guide
(d) His father's pistol
4. Beneatha thanks Mama for:
(a) Making the bed
(b) Understanding her
(c) Buying groceries
(d) Doing the laundry
5. What decision does Walter Lee come to about taking Karl Lindner's offer?
(a) He decides to offer a compromise
(b) He decides not to take it
(c) He decides to take the money
(d) He decides to ask for more
Short Answer Questions
1. Walter Lee dreams of driving what kind of car?
2. Ruth thinks Mr. Lindner looks:
3. What has Ruth bought for the new house?
4. As the scene opens, what does Beneatha carry?
5. Travis wants to be:
Short Essay Questions
1. Beneatha sarcastically asks George "Why read books---why go to school?" Give her answer.
2. Walter Lee asks Mr. Lindner to get out, but Mr. Lindner leaves something behind. What?
3. Instead of going to his job for several days, Walter Lee spent the time driving away from the city. Why did he do this and where did he go?
4. Why does Mama insist on Travis staying while Walter Lee talks to Karl Lindner?
5. Mama says she's tired after work. She has climbed steps to get into the apartment. Explain why she didn't use an elevator.
6. Why does Walter Lee ask Karl Lindner to come back to the apartment?
7. A new character, Mr. Karl Lindner, appears at the door. How is he greeted by the adult Youngers?
8. Beneatha says that there's nothing left of Walter Lee to love now. How does Mama respond?
9. At the end of the play, Mama tells Ruth that Walter Lee "finally come into his manhood today." What does it mean to come into your manhood?
10. Mama explains to Mrs. Johnson that Walter Lee is busy resting. What conclusion does Mrs. Johnson jump to on hearing that?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)