|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Lindner represent?
(a) A welcoming committee
(b) A real estate business
(c) A gardening group
(d) A recreational club
2. What does Mr. Lindner bring the Youngers?
(a) An offer to buy their house
(b) A no-pet petition
(c) A welcome brochure
(d) An invitation to a club
3. While Beneatha listens to Mr. Lindner, she:
(a) Taps her feet
(b) Tosses fruit
(d) Chews gum
4. What does Mama compare Big Walter to?
(a) A willing slave
(b) A faithful dog
(c) A machine
(d) An old horse
5. Mama opens a gift. What is it?
(a) A tea kettle
(c) Garden tools
(d) Kitchen towels
Short Answer Questions
1. Which generation of American Youngers does Travis represent?
2. Mama advises Beneatha:
3. How much did Mama spend on the house?
4. Beneatha walks by dressed in:
5. What is the last thing Mama takes from the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Travis says that he wants to be a bus driver. How do Walter Lee's dreams for Travis differ from his son's?
2. How do the onstage character to react to Mr. Lindner's offer to buy their new house? Describe their emotions.
3. In this scene, Walter Lee's mood has changed for the better from his depression earlier. How does he express his happier feelings?
4. How does Ruth react to Mama giving up on the move to the new house?
5. Instead of going to his job for several days, Walter Lee spent the time driving away from the city. Why did he do this and where did he go?
6. Why does Walter Lee finally decide not to take Karl Lindner's money?
7. Ruth thinks that the sign Beneatha is making for a box of china can be seen from an airplane. What is Ruth implying about Beneatha?
8. Mama says she's tired after work. She has climbed steps to get into the apartment. Explain why she didn't use an elevator.
9. Ruth tells Beneatha she went out with Walter Lee the night before. Why is that special?
10. Ruth wants to take a hot bath at the new house. Explain why that is a luxury for her.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)