|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Beneatha listens to Mr. Lindner, she:
(a) Chews gum
(b) Tosses fruit
(d) Taps her feet
2. What is the first thing Ruth will do in the new house?
(a) Open the windows
(b) Arrange flowers
(c) Make hot tea
(d) Take a hot bath
3. Which generation of American Youngers does Travis represent?
(a) The fourth
(b) The third
(c) The sixth
(d) The fifth
4. What does Mama compare Big Walter to?
(a) An old horse
(b) A machine
(c) A willing slave
(d) A faithful dog
5. How much will the monthly payments be for the new house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ruth go with Walter Lee?
2. Who does Walter Lee want Beneatha to marry?
3. Beneatha thanks Mama for:
4. Who knocks on the door?
5. As the scene opens, what does Beneatha carry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter Lee finally decide not to take Karl Lindner's money?
2. Beneatha says that there's nothing left of Walter Lee to love now. How does Mama respond?
3. How do we know that Beneatha tends to hold political positions that promote civil rights?
4. After giving $3500 to the reatlors, Mama makes a brave decision by giving Walter Lee the rest of the insurance money. What is the significance of her action?
5. Why is Beneatha upset at Walter Lee in this scene?
6. Mama explains to Mrs. Johnson that Walter Lee is busy resting. What conclusion does Mrs. Johnson jump to on hearing that?
7. Instead of going to his job for several days, Walter Lee spent the time driving away from the city. Why did he do this and where did he go?
8. Beneatha sarcastically asks George "Why read books---why go to school?" Give her answer.
9. Travis says that he wants to be a bus driver. How do Walter Lee's dreams for Travis differ from his son's?
10. Is Mrs. Johnson sincere when she says, "I'm soooo happy for y'all"? Explain.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)