|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What offer does Agasai make to Beneatha?
(a) To take her to the movies
(b) To pay for her schooling
(c) To take her to Nigeria
(d) To take her to Canada
2. What does Ruth tell Travis to do when Karl Lindner arrives?
(a) Turn the radio off
(b) Bring some water
(c) Do his homework
(d) Go downstairs
3. What does Walter mean by "the Man?"
(a) All members of mankind
(b) Rich African-Americans
(c) People with money and power
(d) Poor African-Americans
4. What does Mr. Lindner bring the Youngers?
(a) An offer to buy their house
(b) An invitation to a club
(c) A welcome brochure
(d) A no-pet petition
5. What is the mood at the beginning of this act?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Walter Lee put the money?
2. As the scene opens, what does Beneatha carry?
3. Walter Lee explains he drove out to look at:
4. What does Mr. Lindner represent?
5. What, according to Mama, happened to Walter Lee in this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter Lee ask Karl Lindner to come back to the apartment?
2. Before this scene we hadn't realized the scope of Walter Lee's dreams. What are they?
3. Mama says she's tired after work. She has climbed steps to get into the apartment. Explain why she didn't use an elevator.
4. Ruth wants to take a hot bath at the new house. Explain why that is a luxury for her.
5. Mama explains to Mrs. Johnson that Walter Lee is busy resting. What conclusion does Mrs. Johnson jump to on hearing that?
6. Beneatha sarcastically asks George "Why read books---why go to school?" Give her answer.
7. After giving $3500 to the reatlors, Mama makes a brave decision by giving Walter Lee the rest of the insurance money. What is the significance of her action?
8. How do the onstage character to react to Mr. Lindner's offer to buy their new house? Describe their emotions.
9. Is Mrs. Johnson sincere when she says, "I'm soooo happy for y'all"? Explain.
10. Ruth tells Beneatha she went out with Walter Lee the night before. Why is that special?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)