|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Ruth does on stage?
(a) She reads the paper
(b) She makes herself pretty
(c) She starts breakfast
(d) She wakes Travis up
2. What is Beneatha's main worry about Ruth's news?
(a) She wonders what will happen when Ruth is gone
(b) She wonders whether Ruth can get a new job
(c) She wonders how to pay the medical bills
(d) She wonders where the baby will live
3. What does Mama keep on the windowsill?
(a) An old wind-up clock
(b) A small houseplant
(c) A picture of her husband
(d) A good-luck statue
4. What does Mama urge Ruth to do?
(a) Save money by buying on sale
(b) Buy herself a new outfit
(c) Hurry up and leave for work
(d) Stay home from work to rest
5. What does Ruth forbid Travis to do?
(a) Wear his baggy jeans to school
(b) Stop on the way to school for gum
(c) Ask his grandmother for money
(d) Turns up the radio so loudly
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Travis do on his way out?
2. What lie does Walter Lee tell George?
3. What does Ruth call Beneatha's hair style?
4. How long did Mama and Big Walter plan on living in their apartment when they moved in?
5. How does Walter Lee like his eggs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mama suspicious when Ruth refers to the doctor as a female?
2. How does Beneatha surprise George before they go out on their date?
3. Walter Lee mentions that Mama is expecting something to arrive in the mail. What is she expecting?
4. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
5. Describe Walter Lee's future, as he sees it.
6. What function does Joseph Asagai provide in this play about an African-American family?
7. How does the author let the reader know that Beneatha is inauthentic in the way she wears her Nigerian costume?
8. What does Walter Lee do when he sees Beneatha in her Nigerian costume?
9. Why did Mama decide to buy a new house for the family?
10. Why is Ruth so embarrassed by Walter Lee and Beneatha when George Murchison comes in?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)