|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the former function of Ruth and Walter Lee's bedroom?
(a) It was the dining room
(b) It was a large closet
(c) It was a storage area
(d) It was a breakfast alcove
2. How much did Ruth give the abortionist?
(a) Ten dollars
(b) Five dollars
(c) Twenty-five dollars
(d) Fifty dollars
3. What does Mama chide Ruth about?
(a) Getting up too late to make Travis's bed
(b) Not fixing a hot breakfast for Travis
(c) Being careless with her money
(d) Buckling under to Walter Lee too much
4. Where does Beneatha expect to get her tuition from?
(a) Her inheritance
(b) The insurance money
(c) Gifts from her friends
(d) Savings from her job
5. Walter Lee and George argue about:
(a) Their choice of entertainment
(b) Their family vacations
(c) Beneatha's short haircut
(d) Their values and lifestyles
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama tell Walter Lee about Ruth?
2. What does Ruth forbid Travis to do?
3. Mama tells Travis that she has:
4. When will the family move?
5. Ruth changes her mind about
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Walter Lee find out that Mama's money is gone?
2. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
3. Instead of going to his job for several days, Walter Lee spent the time driving away from the city. Why did he do this and where did he go?
4. What does Walter Lee taunt George about as they wait for Beneatha?
5. How does Mama show understanding when Beneatha says that George is a fool?
6. Travis asks repeatedly where his mother, Ruth, is during this scene. Why doesn't Mama answer his question?
7. In this scene, Walter Lee's mood has changed for the better from his depression earlier. How does he express his happier feelings?
8. Walter Lee mentions that Mama is expecting something to arrive in the mail. What is she expecting?
9. Mama explains to Mrs. Johnson that Walter Lee is busy resting. What conclusion does Mrs. Johnson jump to on hearing that?
10. At the end of the play, Mama tells Ruth that Walter Lee "finally come into his manhood today." What does it mean to come into your manhood?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)