|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Travis do on his way out?
(a) Grabs his hat and jacket from a hook
(b) Smacks Beneatha on the her bottom
(c) Steps on as many cockroaches as he can
(d) Tosses a basketball to his father
2. Describe Beneatha's new outfit.
(a) A folk dancing skirt
(b) A formal party gown
(c) A Nigerian robe
(d) A cocktail dress
3. In the paper, Walter Lee reads about:
(a) Another bomb test
(b) A battle in France
(c) A garbage strike
(d) A recent murder
4. Where does Travis sleep?
(a) On the fire escape
(b) In the curtained alcove
(c) In a bedroom off the hall
(d) In the living room
5. Walter Lee and Ruth speak privately about what serious issue?
(a) Mama's decision to buy a house
(b) Their deteriorating relationship
(c) Walter Lee's need for milk or coffee
(d) Their son Travis' behavior
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mama refuse to support Walter Lee's plan to open a liquor store?
2. According to Walter Lee, money is:
3. What does he mean by that term?
4. What does Ruth call Beneatha's hair style?
5. What does Mama call the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of Mama's spindly plant to her character?
2. What function does Joseph Asagai provide in this play about an African-American family?
3. How does Mama react to Beneatha asking whether Ruth "planned" her baby?
4. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
5. Which members of the Younger family share each of the two bedrooms?
6. How does Beneatha surprise George before they go out on their date?
7. What is Ruth referring to when she talks to George about "them bombs and things they keep setting off?"
8. Why is Mama suspicious when Ruth refers to the doctor as a female?
9. Why did Mama decide to buy a new house for the family?
10. What does Walter Lee do when he sees Beneatha in her Nigerian costume?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)