|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama urge Ruth to do?
(a) Buy herself a new outfit
(b) Stay home from work to rest
(c) Save money by buying on sale
(d) Hurry up and leave for work
2. How long did Mama and Big Walter plan on living in their apartment when they moved in?
(a) Two years
(b) Ten years
(c) Five years
(d) One year
3. She puts on a phonograph record of:
(a) American folksongs
(b) Madam Butterfly
(c) African drumming
(d) Nigerian folk music
4. What does Mama warn Walter Lee about?
(a) That he's getting too greedy
(b) That his work is too dangerous
(c) That he's going to lose his job
(d) That Ruth might leave him
5. The new neighborhood is:
(a) Mixed race
(b) Mostly white
(c) Mostly Negro
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alaiyo mean?
2. What term does he use to describe Beneatha's hair?
3. Which character starts the play on stage?
4. What term does Walter Lee use to refer to George's shoes?
5. What is Beneatha's relationship to Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mama waiting for Walter Lee to do after she tells him about Ruth's pregnancy?
2. How do Walter Lee and Ruth react when Mama tells them she bought a house in Clybourne Park?
3. What does Walter Lee do when he sees Beneatha in her Nigerian costume?
4. Travis asks repeatedly where his mother, Ruth, is during this scene. Why doesn't Mama answer his question?
5. Why do Ruth and Walter Lee react so strongly to the idea of moving to Clybourne Park?
6. What function does Joseph Asagai provide in this play about an African-American family?
7. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
8. Ruth scolds Walter Lee for keeping Travis up the night before. How did Walter Lee do that?
9. Why is it difficult for members of the Younger family to use the bathroom in the morning?
10. Why is Beneatha reluctant to let a visitor come over to the apartment on this morning?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)