|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruth call Beneatha's hair style?
2. What country is Beneatha's visitor originally from?
3. Walter Lee and Ruth speak privately about what serious issue?
(a) Walter Lee's need for milk or coffee
(b) Their son Travis' behavior
(c) Mama's decision to buy a house
(d) Their deteriorating relationship
4. What does Alaiyo mean?
(a) One Who Fights Like a Warrior
(b) One Who Dances Like the Peacock
(c) One for Whom Bread Is Not Enough
(d) One for Whom the Goddess Calls
5. How does Walter Lee like his eggs?
(a) Any way but scrambled
(b) Over easy
Short Answer Questions
1. Mama's real name is:
2. What does Travis go to do?
3. What does Mama chide Ruth about?
4. How does Mama react to Beneatha's statement that God no longer exists?
5. What does Beneatha see Travis doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mama react to Beneatha asking whether Ruth "planned" her baby?
2. Why is Beneatha reluctant to let a visitor come over to the apartment on this morning?
3. What does Ruth urge Mama to do with the insurance money for Big Walter's death?
4. What does Walter Lee taunt George about as they wait for Beneatha?
5. Mama already has plans for the insurance money. What are they?
6. What is Beneatha afraid that Mama will do when Beneatha's visitor arrives?
7. Which members of the Younger family share each of the two bedrooms?
8. What function does Joseph Asagai provide in this play about an African-American family?
9. Why do Ruth and Walter Lee react so strongly to the idea of moving to Clybourne Park?
10. What is the importance of Mama's spindly plant to her character?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)