|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Beneatha's relationship to Ruth?
(a) They are sisters, but Ruth is older
(b) Beneatha is Ruth's oldest daughter
(c) Ruth is Beneatha's sister-in-law
(d) Beneatha is Ruth's niece by marriage
2. What does Mama ask Travis?
(a) If he found his missing socks
(b) Whether or not he's taken a bath
(c) If he has done his homework yet
(d) If he finished his chores
3. She puts on a phonograph record of:
(a) Nigerian folk music
(b) Madam Butterfly
(c) American folksongs
(d) African drumming
4. Ruth offers Walter Lee:
5. Mama ignores:
(b) Walter Lee
(d) Her neighbor
6. What does he mean by that term?
(a) That she straightens it to look Caucasian
(b) That she combs into a million braids
(c) That she dyes it with blonde streaks
(d) That she has cut it in too many layers
7. What does Walter Lee say when Ruth says she's considering an abortion?
(a) It's a good idea
(b) You can't do that
(c) Let's talk about it
(d) He says nothing
8. Where is the action of this play set?
(a) In a boarding house in New York City
(b) In a quiet house in a Chicago suburb
(c) In an apartment in a small town in Illinois
(d) In a small apartment in Chicago's Southside
9. What is Beneatha's main worry about Ruth's news?
(a) She wonders where the baby will live
(b) She wonders how to pay the medical bills
(c) She wonders what will happen when Ruth is gone
(d) She wonders whether Ruth can get a new job
10. What does Beneatha say she's going out to do?
(a) To become a Queen of the Nile
(b) To buy herself some books
(c) To get herself a good job
(d) To get a ticket to Nigeria
11. Describe Beneatha's new outfit.
(a) A Nigerian robe
(b) A folk dancing skirt
(c) A formal party gown
(d) A cocktail dress
12. Who makes the first entrance?
13. How long did Mama and Big Walter plan on living in their apartment when they moved in?
(a) Two years
(b) Five years
(c) One year
(d) Ten years
14. What does Travis ask his mother for?
(a) A pop gun
(b) More eggs
(c) Fifty cents
(d) A comic book
15. Under the influence of alcohol, Walter Lee dramatically ridicules what?
(a) His wife's figure
(b) His job as a chauffeur
(c) His African heritage
(d) His mother's cooking
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth do at the end of the scene?
2. Who is acting as head of the Younger family?
3. Mama asks Walter Lee if he is:
4. What is the first thing Ruth does on stage?
5. What is Beneatha's current ambition in life?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)