|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Walter come back after leaving the apartment?
(a) He needs carfare from Ruth
(b) He forgot to kiss Ruth goodbye
(c) It's raining and he needs an umbrella
(d) He wants to yell at Beneatha
2. What does Travis go to do?
(a) Play stickball with his friends
(b) Study at the local library
(c) Go to the movies with his friends
(d) Carry groceries at the local store
3. What does Ruth think of Willie?
(a) That he is a good dresser and very polite
(b) That he's much smarter than Walter Lee
(c) She thinks he's a good-for-nothing loud mouth
(d) She wonders why he hasn't been arrested
4. What does Travis ask Mama?
(a) What smells so nasty
(b) If he can spray the roaches
(c) Permission to go outside
(d) Where his clean socks are
5. Ruth changes her mind about
(a) Whipping Travis
(b) Going to the store
(c) Arguing with Walter Lee
(d) Doing the dishes
6. What was the name of the baby Mama and Big Walter lost?
7. What does Mama keep on the windowsill?
(a) A good-luck statue
(b) A picture of her husband
(c) A small houseplant
(d) An old wind-up clock
8. What is the first thing Ruth does on stage?
(a) She starts breakfast
(b) She wakes Travis up
(c) She reads the paper
(d) She makes herself pretty
9. About how old is Walter Lee Younger?
10. The new neighborhood is:
(b) Mostly white
(c) Mostly Negro
(d) Mixed race
11. What does Ruth announce to Mama and Beneatha?
(a) That she's feeling ill
(b) That she got a new job
(c) That she's been fired
(d) That she's pregnant
12. What is the time period of the play?
(a) Late 1930s through the late 1940s
(b) Early 1960s through early1970s
(c) Late 1960s through late 1970s
(d) Late 1940s through late 1950s
13. What does Ruth forbid Travis to do?
(a) Stop on the way to school for gum
(b) Wear his baggy jeans to school
(c) Turns up the radio so loudly
(d) Ask his grandmother for money
14. How much did Ruth give the abortionist?
(a) Twenty-five dollars
(b) Five dollars
(c) Ten dollars
(d) Fifty dollars
15. Where does Mama tell Beneatha that Ruth has gone?
(a) To see the doctor
(b) To get her hair done
(c) To the post office
(d) To visit a neighbor
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is Beneatha's visitor originally from?
2. Where does Travis sleep?
3. What is revealed when Beneatha takes off her headdress?
4. What was the former function of Ruth and Walter Lee's bedroom?
5. How does Beneatha's visitor treat Mama?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)