|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruth do at the end of the scene?
(a) Sings a hymn
(c) She faints
(d) Makes Travis's bed
2. What does Mama send Travis out to borrow?
(a) Kitchen cleanser
(b) Confectioner's Sugar
(c) Cockroach spray
(d) Baking powder
3. What does Ruth think of Willie?
(a) She thinks he's a good-for-nothing loud mouth
(b) That he is a good dresser and very polite
(c) She wonders why he hasn't been arrested
(d) That he's much smarter than Walter Lee
4. What term does Walter Lee use to refer to George's shoes?
(a) Patent leather
(b) Saddle shoes
(c) Made in Italy
(d) White bucks
5. Who makes the first entrance?
6. What does Beneatha see Travis doing?
(a) Chasing a rat in the street
(b) Getting beat up by bullies
(c) Playing with a b.b. gun
(d) Stealing from the grocer
7. What does Travis ask Mama?
(a) Where his clean socks are
(b) Permission to go outside
(c) What smells so nasty
(d) If he can spray the roaches
8. What is the time period of the play?
(a) Late 1930s through the late 1940s
(b) Late 1940s through late 1950s
(c) Early 1960s through early1970s
(d) Late 1960s through late 1970s
9. What are Mama and Beneatha doing in the beginning of this scene?
(a) Paying bills
(b) Washing dishes
(c) Cleaning the house
(d) Baking bread
10. The new neighborhood is:
(a) Mostly Negro
(b) Mostly white
(d) Mixed race
11. Why does Walter come back after leaving the apartment?
(a) He forgot to kiss Ruth goodbye
(b) He needs carfare from Ruth
(c) It's raining and he needs an umbrella
(d) He wants to yell at Beneatha
12. What does Mama keep on the windowsill?
(a) A small houseplant
(b) An old wind-up clock
(c) A picture of her husband
(d) A good-luck statue
13. Walter Lee is bitter and disappointed. Why?
(a) He wants to buy a new limousine
(b) He sees his own dreams shattered
(c) He wants to stay in the apartment
(d) He wants to move to New York
14. Describe Beneatha's new outfit.
(a) A cocktail dress
(b) A folk dancing skirt
(c) A formal party gown
(d) A Nigerian robe
15. Who comes to visit Beneatha in this scene?
(a) Joseph Asagai
(b) George Murchison
(c) Karl Lindner
(d) Willie Harris
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Travis ask his mother for?
2. Ruth tells Walter Lee she is sorry about:
3. What does Ruth announce to Mama and Beneatha?
4. In Walter Lee's imaginary African dance, he gestures with a:
5. Where is the house that Mama bought?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)