|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Walter Lee want to do?
(a) Drink and have fun with his friends
(b) Buy a limosine and run a car service
(c) Go to college and become a doctor
(d) Open a liquor store with his friends
2. What is Beneatha's current ambition in life?
(a) To go on the stage
(b) To marry a rich man
(c) To become a doctor
(d) To leave Chicago
3. In Walter Lee's imaginary African dance, he gestures with a:
4. Describe Beneatha's new outfit.
(a) A formal party gown
(b) A cocktail dress
(c) A folk dancing skirt
(d) A Nigerian robe
5. What does Beneatha see Travis doing?
(a) Playing with a b.b. gun
(b) Getting beat up by bullies
(c) Stealing from the grocer
(d) Chasing a rat in the street
6. What is Beneatha's task?
(a) Washing down walls
(b) Scrubbing kitchen counters
(c) Spraying cockroaches
(d) Sweeping the floor
7. Walter Lee and Ruth speak privately about what serious issue?
(a) Their son Travis' behavior
(b) Mama's decision to buy a house
(c) Walter Lee's need for milk or coffee
(d) Their deteriorating relationship
8. George doesn't care for:
(d) Soda Pop
9. What lie does Walter Lee tell George?
(a) That he has a degree in public speaking
(b) That he's been to New York City
(c) That he bought a new cadillac
(d) That he's getting a new job
10. What does Mama urge Ruth to do?
(a) Buy herself a new outfit
(b) Stay home from work to rest
(c) Save money by buying on sale
(d) Hurry up and leave for work
11. Why does Walter come back after leaving the apartment?
(a) He needs carfare from Ruth
(b) He wants to yell at Beneatha
(c) He forgot to kiss Ruth goodbye
(d) It's raining and he needs an umbrella
12. How long did Mama and Big Walter plan on living in their apartment when they moved in?
(a) Ten years
(b) Two years
(c) One year
(d) Five years
13. Walter Lee is bitter and disappointed. Why?
(a) He wants to buy a new limousine
(b) He sees his own dreams shattered
(c) He wants to stay in the apartment
(d) He wants to move to New York
14. Under the influence of alcohol, Walter Lee dramatically ridicules what?
(a) His job as a chauffeur
(b) His mother's cooking
(c) His wife's figure
(d) His African heritage
15. What does Alaiyo mean?
(a) One for Whom the Goddess Calls
(b) One for Whom Bread Is Not Enough
(c) One Who Dances Like the Peacock
(d) One Who Fights Like a Warrior
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth do at the end of the scene?
2. What does Travis go to do?
3. How does Walter Lee like his eggs?
4. Why does Mama refuse to support Walter Lee's plan to open a liquor store?
5. What is Beneatha's main worry about Ruth's news?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)