|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Beneatha's visitor treat Mama?
(a) He ignores her
(b) He tells her jokes
(c) He is speechless
(d) With great respect
2. Who comes to visit Beneatha in this scene?
(a) Karl Lindner
(b) Willie Harris
(c) Joseph Asagai
(d) George Murchison
3. Walter Lee and Ruth speak privately about what serious issue?
(a) Their deteriorating relationship
(b) Walter Lee's need for milk or coffee
(c) Their son Travis' behavior
(d) Mama's decision to buy a house
4. Where is the action of this play set?
(a) In a quiet house in a Chicago suburb
(b) In a small apartment in Chicago's Southside
(c) In a boarding house in New York City
(d) In an apartment in a small town in Illinois
5. Which character starts the play on stage?
(b) Walter Lee
6. What does Travis bring in for Mama?
(a) The insurance check
(b) A new gardening hat
(c) A warm winter coat
(d) Kitchen cleanser
7. Mama tells Travis that she has:
(a) Bought USA bonds
(b) Bought vacation tickets
(c) Bought a house
(d) Bought a business
8. Walter Lee has been out talking to:
(a) Willie Harris
(b) George Murchison
(d) The bartender
9. She puts on a phonograph record of:
(a) Nigerian folk music
(b) American folksongs
(c) Madam Butterfly
(d) African drumming
10. What was the former function of Ruth and Walter Lee's bedroom?
(a) It was a large closet
(b) It was a breakfast alcove
(c) It was the dining room
(d) It was a storage area
11. Mama asks Walter Lee if he is:
(a) Gambling and drinking
(b) Working too hard
(c) Seeing another woman
(d) Thinking of suicide
12. What does Travis ask his mother for?
(a) More eggs
(b) Fifty cents
(c) A pop gun
(d) A comic book
13. What does Walter Lee say when Ruth says she's considering an abortion?
(a) He says nothing
(b) You can't do that
(c) It's a good idea
(d) Let's talk about it
14. Where will George take Beneatha on their date?Where will George take Beneatha on their date?
(a) To a cocktail party
(b) To a folk festival
(c) To Lake Shore Drive
(d) To the theater
15. What does Ruth think of Willie?
(a) That he's much smarter than Walter Lee
(b) She wonders why he hasn't been arrested
(c) That he is a good dresser and very polite
(d) She thinks he's a good-for-nothing loud mouth
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Travis sleep?
2. What is Beneatha's main worry about Ruth's news?
3. What lie does Walter Lee tell George?
4. Who calls Walter Lee on the telephone?
5. What does Beneatha say she's going out to do?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)