Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Act 1, Scene 1 Abstract
* The Younger family is introduced.
* Walter Lee and Ruth fight about money.
* Beneatha states her intention of going to medical school.
* Lena tells Ruth that she's put a down payment on a house.
Act 1, Scene 2 Abstract
* Ruth reveals that she is pregnant and considering an abortion.
* Joseph Asagai brings gifts to Beneatha.
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)