|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Ursula make during her illness?
2. Where does Ursula find a teaching position after her parents forbid her to go to Kingston-on-Thames for an interview?
3. What action does Ursula take to escape from the horses surrounding her when she goes for a walk in the rain?
4. What is Ursula's impression of the colliers when she and Winifred go to her Uncle Tom's house in Wiggiston?
5. What is it about Christmas day that disappoints the Brangwens?
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Tom Brangwen and Winifred Inger.
2) Are they a good match? Explain.
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of their relationship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another for who they are.
Essay Topic 2
1) What are some of the differences between Anna's view of religion and William's religious beliefs?
2) What effect do the two different viewpoints of religion have on each of the characters?
3) Using examples from the novel, explain how they support or condemn each others religious beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Ursula's coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as he grows from childhood to adulthood?
3) How does her outlook on life, education, and love change as she develops from a young girl into a woman?
4) Cite examples of the character changes in Ursula throughout her life.
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)