|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ursula consumed with a fear of herself when she and Anton are in the cornstacks after the wedding?
2. What subjects do Ursula and Maggie discuss when they are together?
3. How does Ursula react when her father slaps her across the face for letting the children in the parish room?
4. What is Ursula's reaction after boys from her class throw stones at her in the street?
5. What is Ursula's first impression of Mr. Skrebensky?
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how D.H. Lawrence uses local color and imagery to describe the Marsh Farm.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the farmhouse, landscape, the barn, and the animals at the farm.
3) Does the imagery Lawrence uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the farm and surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 2
A rainbow appears twice in the novel.
1) What is the significance of the rainbow in each of the appearances?
2) What does the rainbow symbolize for the characters who see it?
3) Cite the events happening during each of the sightings of the rainbow.
4) Which characters see the significance of the rainbows?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Lydia Lensky's life to undergo a change.
3) How does she react to the events and their effects?
4) How does she grow emotionally in her own life and in her attitude toward her first husband, her second husband and her daughter because of these changes?
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)