|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christian life affect the Brangwens?
2. When Ursula believes she is pregnant with Anton's child, what does she decide about her mother's life?
3. What is Ursula's view on school and forcing children to learn?
4. What is the response of Ursula's mother when Ursula says that she wants to have an equal place with men in the field of action and work?
5. What action does Ursula take to escape from the horses surrounding her when she goes for a walk in the rain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
2. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
3. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
4. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
6. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
7. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
8. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
9. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
10. What is Ursula's reason for refusing the marriage proposal from Anthony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences by the final chapter.
3) What major life lessons have they learned?
Essay Topic 2
1) Does Ursula remain true to her ideals of being an individual, responsible for herself, and working in a man's world?
2) What is her final decision with regard to her future?
3) Cite examples from the novel to support the answer.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the changes in Anna Brangwen throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as the story progresses?
3) How do her attitudes toward individuality, marriage and motherhood change as her character develops?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Anna goes through as her character develops.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)