|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
2. What is young Tom Brangwen feeling behind his healthy, good looks, and well dressed appearance?
3. What is Ursula's reaction after boys from her class throw stones at her in the street?
4. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
5. What does Ursula hate about her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
2. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
3. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
4. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
5. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
6. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
7. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
8. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
9. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
10. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences by the final chapter.
3) What major life lessons have they learned?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Lydia Lensky's life to undergo a change.
3) How does she react to the events and their effects?
4) How does she grow emotionally in her own life and in her attitude toward her first husband, her second husband and her daughter because of these changes?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare the characters of Anna and William Brangwen.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his view of life? Explain.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)