|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ursula resigns herself to teaching until she can do what?
2. What is the decision Anton and Ursula make the morning after they make love in the sand under the moon?
3. What does Ursula wish as she swims with her swimming class mistress?
4. Where does Ursula find a teaching position after her parents forbid her to go to Kingston-on-Thames for an interview?
5. Why does Ursula refuse Anthony's proposal of marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
2. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
3. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
4. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
5. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
6. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
7. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
8. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
9. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
10. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare the characters of Anna and William Brangwen.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his view of life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Anna and her mother, Lydia.
2) How does Tom Brangwen affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does her father, Tom Brangwen, wish for Anna's future?
4) How does Anna's attitude toward her mother and stepfather change in the course of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how Anna and Lydia interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the changes in Anna Brangwen throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as the story progresses?
3) How do her attitudes toward individuality, marriage and motherhood change as her character develops?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Anna goes through as her character develops.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)