|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ursula's impression of the colliers when she and Winifred go to her Uncle Tom's house in Wiggiston?
2. Why is Ursula excited about her father's new position as Art and Handwork Instructor?
3. How does Ursula manage to keep order in her classroom?
4. What decision does Ursula make during her illness?
5. What does Ursula tell Anton in the letter she sends to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
2. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
3. What are Lydia Brangwen's hopes after Tom dies and she sees the troubles of her sons?
4. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
5. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
6. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
7. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
8. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
9. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
10. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Lawrence is trying to convey about life at the end of the Victorian Era and the beginning of the new century?
2) Does she depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Brangwen family?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life and relationships?
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Anna and William have for each other when they begin their relationship.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Explain.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the changes in Anna Brangwen throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as the story progresses?
3) How do her attitudes toward individuality, marriage and motherhood change as her character develops?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Anna goes through as her character develops.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)