|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Winifred and Ursula do when they are at the bungalow?
2. What is Ursula's impression of the colliers when she and Winifred go to her Uncle Tom's house in Wiggiston?
3. What does Mr. Harby give to Ursula on her last day of school?
4. What does Ursula feel after her first kiss with Skrebensky?
5. What is Theresa's temperament?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ursula's reason for refusing the marriage proposal from Anthony?
2. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
3. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
4. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
6. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
7. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
8. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
9. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
10. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) During the novel, the reader is introduced to the views of women as depicted by Tom Brangwen, William Brangwen and Anton Bresnesky.
2) Compare the views which are revealed by these three men toward women.
3) Cite examples from the story. How do their attitudes toward women affect the way women react to them?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Ursula's coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as he grows from childhood to adulthood?
3) How does her outlook on life, education, and love change as she develops from a young girl into a woman?
4) Cite examples of the character changes in Ursula throughout her life.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ursula and Anna.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the other.
3) How is each character realistic in her view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as women differ? Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)