|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ursula enjoy staying at Belcote with Maggie's family?
2. What subjects do Ursula and Maggie discuss when they are together?
3. What question torments Ursula as she enters womanhood?
4. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
5. How does Anna react to the position of hand-work instructor in Nottingham for which William applies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
2. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
3. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
4. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
5. What is Ursula's reason for refusing the marriage proposal from Anthony?
6. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
7. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
8. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
9. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
10. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two scenes of the novel, Ursula and Anton are making love in the moonlight.
1) How does Lawrence use images of moonlight and shadow to convey the tone of their love making?
2) How does the imagery of moonlight in the first scene in the cornstacks compare with the moonlight in the sandhills later in the novel.
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Anna and William have for each other when they begin their relationship.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Explain.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ursula and Anna.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the other.
3) How is each character realistic in her view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as women differ? Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)