|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
2. What does Ursula tell Anton in the letter she sends to him?
3. What is the thought about Easter and the Resurrection that Lawrence gives the reader?
4. What action does Ursula take to escape from the horses surrounding her when she goes for a walk in the rain?
5. Who is a great comfort to Ursula while she shrinks away from other people, afraid she is not like them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
2. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
3. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
4. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
5. What does Ursula decide Winifred should do after they are no longer lovers?
6. Describe the events that lead up to Ursula's love affair with Miss Inger.
7. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
8. Explain how Ursula feels about her fellow teachers on her last day at the St. Philip's School.
9. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
10. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Anna and her mother, Lydia.
2) How does Tom Brangwen affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does her father, Tom Brangwen, wish for Anna's future?
4) How does Anna's attitude toward her mother and stepfather change in the course of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how Anna and Lydia interact with one another.
Essay Topic 2
1) What are some of the differences between Anna's view of religion and William's religious beliefs?
2) What effect do the two different viewpoints of religion have on each of the characters?
3) Using examples from the novel, explain how they support or condemn each others religious beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
A rainbow appears twice in the novel.
1) What is the significance of the rainbow in each of the appearances?
2) What does the rainbow symbolize for the characters who see it?
3) Cite the events happening during each of the sightings of the rainbow.
4) Which characters see the significance of the rainbows?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)