|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ursula refuse Anthony's proposal of marriage?
2. What is it that makes the new house in Beldover feel like a home to the Brangwen children?
3. Why does Ursula enjoy staying at Belcote with Maggie's family?
4. Who is a great comfort to Ursula while she shrinks away from other people, afraid she is not like them?
5. What is Theresa's temperament?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
2. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
3. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
4. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
5. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
6. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
7. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
8. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
9. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
10. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Anna and her mother, Lydia.
2) How does Tom Brangwen affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does her father, Tom Brangwen, wish for Anna's future?
4) How does Anna's attitude toward her mother and stepfather change in the course of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how Anna and Lydia interact with one another.
Essay Topic 2
1) During the novel, the reader is introduced to the views of women as depicted by Tom Brangwen, William Brangwen and Anton Bresnesky.
2) Compare the views which are revealed by these three men toward women.
3) Cite examples from the story. How do their attitudes toward women affect the way women react to them?
Essay Topic 3
A rainbow appears twice in the novel.
1) What is the significance of the rainbow in each of the appearances?
2) What does the rainbow symbolize for the characters who see it?
3) Cite the events happening during each of the sightings of the rainbow.
4) Which characters see the significance of the rainbows?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)