|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the thought about Easter and the Resurrection that Lawrence gives the reader?
2. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
3. What terrifies Ursula about her Uncle Tom as he grieves for his father?
4. Why does 11-year-old Ursula find it a bother to be the eldest of six children?
5. Who is a great comfort to Ursula while she shrinks away from other people, afraid she is not like them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
2. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
3. Explain how Ursula feels about her fellow teachers on her last day at the St. Philip's School.
4. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
5. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
6. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
7. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
8. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
9. What is Ursula's reason for refusing the marriage proposal from Anthony?
10. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences by the final chapter.
3) What major life lessons have they learned?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Anna and her mother, Lydia.
2) How does Tom Brangwen affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does her father, Tom Brangwen, wish for Anna's future?
4) How does Anna's attitude toward her mother and stepfather change in the course of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how Anna and Lydia interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Ursula Brangwen grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do her attitudes change toward William, Uncle Tom, Winifred and Anna?
3) How does her attitude about her quest for freedom change throughout the novel?
4) What are the differences in her attitude toward the meaning of life from the beginning to the end of the novel?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)