|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ursula's emotional state on the last day of school before she goes on to college?
2. What does Anton believe Ursula wants to do to him, even though they are lovers?
3. How does Christian life affect the Brangwens?
4. Why does Ursula refuse Anthony's proposal of marriage?
5. What does Mr. Harby give to Ursula on her last day of school?
Short Essay Questions
1. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
2. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
3. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
4. Describe the events that lead up to Ursula's love affair with Miss Inger.
5. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
6. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
7. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
8. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
9. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
10. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What are Anton Skrebensky's views on the responsibilities of the individual in society?
2) Are his views dated or do they still hold true today?
3) Give examples from the novel and from today's world to justify your conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Anna and her mother, Lydia.
2) How does Tom Brangwen affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does her father, Tom Brangwen, wish for Anna's future?
4) How does Anna's attitude toward her mother and stepfather change in the course of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how Anna and Lydia interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Tom Brangwen and Winifred Inger.
2) Are they a good match? Explain.
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of their relationship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another for who they are.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)