|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
2. How does Ursula react when her father slaps her across the face for letting the children in the parish room?
3. How does Ursula feel as she waits for Anton to come home?
4. How does Lydia see herself when she is married to Paul Lensky?
5. What does Mr. Harby give to Ursula on her last day of school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
2. Describe the events that lead up to Ursula's love affair with Miss Inger.
3. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
4. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
5. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
6. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
7. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
8. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
9. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
10. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the changes in Anna Brangwen throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as the story progresses?
3) How do her attitudes toward individuality, marriage and motherhood change as her character develops?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Anna goes through as her character develops.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Tom Brangwen and Winifred Inger.
2) Are they a good match? Explain.
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of their relationship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another for who they are.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how D.H. Lawrence uses local color and imagery to describe the Marsh Farm.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the farmhouse, landscape, the barn, and the animals at the farm.
3) Does the imagery Lawrence uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the farm and surrounding landscape?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)