|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom do the Brangwen girls have a feud?
2. How does Ursula react when her father slaps her across the face for letting the children in the parish room?
3. Where does Ursula find a teaching position after her parents forbid her to go to Kingston-on-Thames for an interview?
4. What is Ursula's reaction after boys from her class throw stones at her in the street?
5. Where does Ursula's school mistress invite her to go on Saturday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
2. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
3. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
4. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
5. What does Ursula decide Winifred should do after they are no longer lovers?
6. What is Ursula's reason for refusing the marriage proposal from Anthony?
7. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
8. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
9. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
10. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare the characters of Anna and William Brangwen.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his view of life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
A rainbow appears twice in the novel.
1) What is the significance of the rainbow in each of the appearances?
2) What does the rainbow symbolize for the characters who see it?
3) Cite the events happening during each of the sightings of the rainbow.
4) Which characters see the significance of the rainbows?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Tom Brangwen and Winifred Inger.
2) Are they a good match? Explain.
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of their relationship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another for who they are.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)