|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Harby give to Ursula on her last day of school?
2. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
3. What is it about Christmas day that disappoints the Brangwens?
4. What action does Ursula take to escape from the horses surrounding her when she goes for a walk in the rain?
5. Where does Ursula find a teaching position after her parents forbid her to go to Kingston-on-Thames for an interview?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
2. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
3. What is Ursula's reason for refusing the marriage proposal from Anthony?
4. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
5. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
6. Explain how Ursula feels about her fellow teachers on her last day at the St. Philip's School.
7. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
8. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
9. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
10. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Lawrence is trying to convey about life at the end of the Victorian Era and the beginning of the new century?
2) Does she depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Brangwen family?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life and relationships?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Tom Brangwen and Winifred Inger.
2) Are they a good match? Explain.
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of their relationship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another for who they are.
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Ursula Brangwen grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do her attitudes change toward William, Uncle Tom, Winifred and Anna?
3) How does her attitude about her quest for freedom change throughout the novel?
4) What are the differences in her attitude toward the meaning of life from the beginning to the end of the novel?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)