|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that makes the new house in Beldover feel like a home to the Brangwen children?
2. What is Theresa's temperament?
3. Where does Ursula's school mistress invite her to go on Saturday?
4. What do Winifred and Ursula do when they are at the bungalow?
5. What does the rainbow forming over the corrupt land symbolize for Ursula?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
2. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
3. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
4. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
5. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
6. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
7. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
8. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
9. What is Ursula's reason for refusing the marriage proposal from Anthony?
10. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Ursula Brangwen grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do her attitudes change toward William, Uncle Tom, Winifred and Anna?
3) How does her attitude about her quest for freedom change throughout the novel?
4) What are the differences in her attitude toward the meaning of life from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In two scenes of the novel, Ursula and Anton are making love in the moonlight.
1) How does Lawrence use images of moonlight and shadow to convey the tone of their love making?
2) How does the imagery of moonlight in the first scene in the cornstacks compare with the moonlight in the sandhills later in the novel.
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) What are Anton Skrebensky's views on the responsibilities of the individual in society?
2) Are his views dated or do they still hold true today?
3) Give examples from the novel and from today's world to justify your conclusion.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)