|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ursula hate about her mother?
2. What does Anton tell Ursula after she tells him that she does not ever want to get married?
3. What is the vision the author gives of life if one looks at the Resurrection as life, not death?
4. What does Ursula do in Cossethay when she realizes she will be moving soon?
5. Why does 11-year-old Ursula find it a bother to be the eldest of six children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
2. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
3. Explain how Ursula feels about her fellow teachers on her last day at the St. Philip's School.
4. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
5. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
6. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
7. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
8. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
9. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
10. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare the characters of Anna and William Brangwen.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his view of life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Ursula's coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as he grows from childhood to adulthood?
3) How does her outlook on life, education, and love change as she develops from a young girl into a woman?
4) Cite examples of the character changes in Ursula throughout her life.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the changes in Anna Brangwen throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as the story progresses?
3) How do her attitudes toward individuality, marriage and motherhood change as her character develops?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Anna goes through as her character develops.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)