|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of teacher does Ursula dream she will be?
2. What does Mr. Harby give to Ursula on her last day of school?
3. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
4. What is Ursula's view of religious scripture?
5. How does Anton react when he is away from Ursula after their affair in London and Paris?
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Ursula's coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as he grows from childhood to adulthood?
3) How does her outlook on life, education, and love change as she develops from a young girl into a woman?
4) Cite examples of the character changes in Ursula throughout her life.
Essay Topic 2
1) Does Ursula remain true to her ideals of being an individual, responsible for herself, and working in a man's world?
2) What is her final decision with regard to her future?
3) Cite examples from the novel to support the answer.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the role of women in the novel with the role of women in today's American society.
2) Cite specific examples from the novel, detailing women's jobs and responsibilities.
3) Which of the women in the novel would find today's role of women appealing and in what way?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)