|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
2. How does Ursula view college as she sits in the lecture hall for her first class?
3. What is the response of Ursula's mother when Ursula says that she wants to have an equal place with men in the field of action and work?
4. What happens after Ursula writes a passionate love letter to Winifred?
5. What is Ursula's view on school and forcing children to learn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ursula decide Winifred should do after they are no longer lovers?
2. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
3. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
4. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
5. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
6. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
7. What are Lydia Brangwen's hopes after Tom dies and she sees the troubles of her sons?
8. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
9. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
10. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Ursula's coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as he grows from childhood to adulthood?
3) How does her outlook on life, education, and love change as she develops from a young girl into a woman?
4) Cite examples of the character changes in Ursula throughout her life.
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize how D.H. Lawrence uses local color and imagery to describe the Marsh Farm.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the farmhouse, landscape, the barn, and the animals at the farm.
3) Does the imagery Lawrence uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the farm and surrounding landscape?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare the characters of Anna and William Brangwen.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his view of life? Explain.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)