|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During her two weeks in Wiggiston, what is Ursula's attitude toward Winifred and her Uncle Tom?
2. When Ursula believes she is pregnant with Anton's child, what does she decide about her mother's life?
3. What is the response of Ursula's mother when Ursula says that she wants to have an equal place with men in the field of action and work?
4. How does Anton react when he is away from Ursula after their affair in London and Paris?
5. Strebensky returns from Africa and starts up his relationship with Ursula again. What are Ursula's inner feelings after she and Anton consummate their love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Ursula Brangwen grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do her attitudes change toward William, Uncle Tom, Winifred and Anna?
3) How does her attitude about her quest for freedom change throughout the novel?
4) What are the differences in her attitude toward the meaning of life from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) What are some of the differences between Anna's view of religion and William's religious beliefs?
2) What effect do the two different viewpoints of religion have on each of the characters?
3) Using examples from the novel, explain how they support or condemn each others religious beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
1) What are Anton Skrebensky's views on the responsibilities of the individual in society?
2) Are his views dated or do they still hold true today?
3) Give examples from the novel and from today's world to justify your conclusion.
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)