Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
2. Why does William begin to hate Anna as she talks to him about the carvings in the cathedral?
3. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
4. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
5. When does Ursula feel the most secure, warm, and happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
2. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
3. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
4. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
5. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
6. Describe the woman Tom Brangwen decides to marry.
7. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
8. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
9. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
10. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Lydia Lensky's life to undergo a change.
3) How does she react to the events and their effects?
4) How does she grow emotionally in her own life and in her attitude toward her first husband, her second husband and her daughter because of these changes?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ursula and Anna.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the other.
3) How is each character realistic in her view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as women differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Anna and her mother, Lydia.
2) How does Tom Brangwen affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does her father, Tom Brangwen, wish for Anna's future?
4) How does Anna's attitude toward her mother and stepfather change in the course of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how Anna and Lydia interact with one another.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)