|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What continues to torment Tom even though he is proud and fulfilled in his marriage?
2. How does Anna react to her parent's relationship?
3. How does Tom feel about himself after meeting Alfred's lover, the lady, Mrs. Forbes?
4. As Anna observes the Skrebensky's relationship, what does she wish for herself?
5. Why does William suffer behind his bright face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Anna views her relationship with her cousin, William.
2. Compare Tom's feeling toward his newborn son and his stepdaughter, Anna?
3. Explain how Lydia rises out of her darkness and indifference to make a new life for herself.
4. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
5. Describe the impression Anna has of Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent with regard to their relationship.
6. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
7. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
8. What is Tom's reaction when Anna hysterically screams that he is not her father?
9. What type of life do the Brangwens have on the Marsh farm?
10. How does Tom manage to calm Anna down when she constantly screams for her mother while Lydia is in labor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Lawrence is trying to convey about life at the end of the Victorian Era and the beginning of the new century?
2) Does she depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Brangwen family?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life and relationships?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Anna and her mother, Lydia.
2) How does Tom Brangwen affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does her father, Tom Brangwen, wish for Anna's future?
4) How does Anna's attitude toward her mother and stepfather change in the course of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how Anna and Lydia interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare the characters of Anna and William Brangwen.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his view of life? Explain.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)