|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the person Anna meets that she considers a real person of consequence?
2. What does Will discover about himself as he kisses Anna in the moonlight?
3. What does William ask the girl sitting next to him in the Empire ?
4. How does Lydia emerge from her indifference, becoming a new person?
5. What is the question William asks himself when he and Anna are constantly tormenting one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
2. How does Tom manage to calm Anna down when she constantly screams for her mother while Lydia is in labor?
3. What pains Tom as he stands at the altar at Anna's wedding?
4. After the birth of their son, Lydia does have the passion for Tom that she once had. How does he deal with the desires he has for his wife?
5. What is Tom's reaction when Anna hysterically screams that he is not her father?
6. Compare Tom's feeling toward his newborn son and his stepdaughter, Anna?
7. Describe the situation that hardens Ursula to the outside world.
8. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
9. Explain how the Brangwens come into more money as they live on the Marsh farm.
10. What piece of advice does Alfred give Tom as they walk to Anna and William's cottage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences by the final chapter.
3) What major life lessons have they learned?
Essay Topic 2
1) Does Ursula remain true to her ideals of being an individual, responsible for herself, and working in a man's world?
2) What is her final decision with regard to her future?
3) Cite examples from the novel to support the answer.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Anna and her mother, Lydia.
2) How does Tom Brangwen affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does her father, Tom Brangwen, wish for Anna's future?
4) How does Anna's attitude toward her mother and stepfather change in the course of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how Anna and Lydia interact with one another.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)