|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
2. What is Tom's reaction to Lydia after they are married and the guests leave?
3. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
4. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
5. What is Tom's attitude toward his own life while his wife is miserable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
2. How does Tom manage to calm Anna down when she constantly screams for her mother while Lydia is in labor?
3. Explain how Lydia rises out of her darkness and indifference to make a new life for herself.
4. Describe the woman Tom Brangwen decides to marry.
5. Describe the relationship of William and Anna as the days go on.
6. Describe the hatred that grows in seventeen-year-old, Anna, toward her mother.
7. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
8. Explain why William feels guilty when he looks out the door after his marriage to Anna.
9. What is Tom's reaction when Anna hysterically screams that he is not her father?
10. Describe the situation that hardens Ursula to the outside world.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare the characters of Anna and William Brangwen.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his view of life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Anna and William have for each other when they begin their relationship.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Explain.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences by the final chapter.
3) What major life lessons have they learned?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)