|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna say to Tom that cuts him to the heart?
2. What does Anna find refreshing about the Skrebensky's relationship?
3. How does Tom feel about himself after meeting Alfred's lover, the lady, Mrs. Forbes?
4. How does William adapt to life as a husband and father of three children?
5. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William react when he sees Anna dancing naked in the bedroom?
2. What type of life do the Brangwens have on the Marsh farm?
3. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
4. Describe the relationship of William and Anna as the days go on.
5. Describe the toast Tom gives at Anna's wedding party?
6. Describe the woman Tom Brangwen decides to marry.
7. What is William's physical and mental state after the birth of his third child?
8. Describe the situation that hardens Ursula to the outside world.
9. Describe Anna's emotions as her parents build a life together.
10. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A rainbow appears twice in the novel.
1) What is the significance of the rainbow in each of the appearances?
2) What does the rainbow symbolize for the characters who see it?
3) Cite the events happening during each of the sightings of the rainbow.
4) Which characters see the significance of the rainbows?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Anna and her mother, Lydia.
2) How does Tom Brangwen affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does her father, Tom Brangwen, wish for Anna's future?
4) How does Anna's attitude toward her mother and stepfather change in the course of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how Anna and Lydia interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
In two scenes of the novel, Ursula and Anton are making love in the moonlight.
1) How does Lawrence use images of moonlight and shadow to convey the tone of their love making?
2) How does the imagery of moonlight in the first scene in the cornstacks compare with the moonlight in the sandhills later in the novel.
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)