|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alfred tell Tom every person must do?
2. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
3. What gift does Tom give Will and Anna for their wedding?
4. When does Ursula feel the most secure, warm, and happy?
5. Why does William suffer behind his bright face?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom manage to calm Anna down when she constantly screams for her mother while Lydia is in labor?
2. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
3. Explain how the Brangwens come into more money as they live on the Marsh farm.
4. Describe Anna's emotions as her parents build a life together.
5. Explain why William feels guilty when he looks out the door after his marriage to Anna.
6. Are Anna and William satisfied with their lives?
7. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
8. Describe the situation that hardens Ursula to the outside world.
9. Describe the hatred that grows in seventeen-year-old, Anna, toward her mother.
10. Describe the impression Anna has of Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent with regard to their relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare the characters of Anna and William Brangwen.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his view of life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences by the final chapter.
3) What major life lessons have they learned?
Essay Topic 3
In two scenes of the novel, Ursula and Anton are making love in the moonlight.
1) How does Lawrence use images of moonlight and shadow to convey the tone of their love making?
2) How does the imagery of moonlight in the first scene in the cornstacks compare with the moonlight in the sandhills later in the novel.
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)