|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anna view her relationship with her cousin Will?
2. What is Ursula's impression of her father?
3. Where is Anna's favorite place to stop on the way to the cattle market?
4. What do Anna and William go to see that excites him so much?
5. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the hatred that grows in seventeen-year-old, Anna, toward her mother.
2. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
3. What is William's physical and mental state after the birth of his third child?
4. Explain how the Brangwens come into more money as they live on the Marsh farm.
5. Explain how Lydia rises out of her darkness and indifference to make a new life for herself.
6. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
7. Describe the relationship of William and Anna as the days go on.
8. What piece of advice does Alfred give Tom as they walk to Anna and William's cottage?
9. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
10. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
Essay Topic 1
1) What are Anton Skrebensky's views on the responsibilities of the individual in society?
2) Are his views dated or do they still hold true today?
3) Give examples from the novel and from today's world to justify your conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Ursula Brangwen grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do her attitudes change toward William, Uncle Tom, Winifred and Anna?
3) How does her attitude about her quest for freedom change throughout the novel?
4) What are the differences in her attitude toward the meaning of life from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) What are some of the differences between Anna's view of religion and William's religious beliefs?
2) What effect do the two different viewpoints of religion have on each of the characters?
3) Using examples from the novel, explain how they support or condemn each others religious beliefs?
This section contains 1,620 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)