|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
2. Why is Millicent Skrebensky annoyed with William?
3. What gift does Tom give Will and Anna for their wedding?
4. What is Anna's emotional response to the cathedral?
5. Whose imminent visit from Nottingham excites the 18-year-old Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Tom's feeling toward his newborn son and his stepdaughter, Anna?
2. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
3. Describe the impression Anna has of Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent with regard to their relationship.
4. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
5. What are the circumstances that bring Tom Brangwen to take over the farm at only eighteen years of age?
6. Describe the situation that hardens Ursula to the outside world.
7. What is William's physical and mental state after the birth of his third child?
8. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
9. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
10. After the birth of their son, Lydia does have the passion for Tom that she once had. How does he deal with the desires he has for his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ursula and Anna.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the other.
3) How is each character realistic in her view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as women differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Ursula's coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as he grows from childhood to adulthood?
3) How does her outlook on life, education, and love change as she develops from a young girl into a woman?
4) Cite examples of the character changes in Ursula throughout her life.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how D.H. Lawrence uses local color and imagery to describe the Marsh Farm.
2) Cite descriptive examples of the farmhouse, landscape, the barn, and the animals at the farm.
3) Does the imagery Lawrence uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the farm and surrounding landscape?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)