|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about Anna that leaves William unsatisfied and unfulfilled?
2. What continues to torment Tom even though he is proud and fulfilled in his marriage?
3. What does Alfred tell Tom every person must do?
4. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
5. How does William's relationship with Ursula change after the birth of Gudrun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the impression Anna has of Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent with regard to their relationship.
2. Explain the relationship between Lydia and Tom after two years of marriage.
3. Describe Anna's emotions as her parents build a life together.
4. Explain how Anna views her relationship with her cousin, William.
5. Describe the situation that hardens Ursula to the outside world.
6. Describe the woman Tom Brangwen decides to marry.
7. What type of life do the Brangwens have on the Marsh farm?
8. Are Anna and William satisfied with their lives?
9. Compare Tom's feeling toward his newborn son and his stepdaughter, Anna?
10. Explain how the Brangwens come into more money as they live on the Marsh farm.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Lydia Lensky's life to undergo a change.
3) How does she react to the events and their effects?
4) How does she grow emotionally in her own life and in her attitude toward her first husband, her second husband and her daughter because of these changes?
Essay Topic 2
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing D.H. Lawrence's writing style, use of dialogue, similes, metaphors, imagery, and point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
In two scenes of the novel, Ursula and Anton are making love in the moonlight.
1) How does Lawrence use images of moonlight and shadow to convey the tone of their love making?
2) How does the imagery of moonlight in the first scene in the cornstacks compare with the moonlight in the sandhills later in the novel.
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)