|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
2. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
3. Who does Tom believe he is destined to marry?
4. What do Tom, Alfred, Frank, the brother-in-law, William's brother, and six other men decide to do after Anna and Will leave for their cottage?
5. How does Tom feel about his new son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the Brangwens come into more money as they live on the Marsh farm.
2. Describe the impression Anna has of Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent with regard to their relationship.
3. After the birth of their son, Lydia does have the passion for Tom that she once had. How does he deal with the desires he has for his wife?
4. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
5. Explain the relationship between Lydia and Tom after two years of marriage.
6. Describe the hatred that grows in seventeen-year-old, Anna, toward her mother.
7. What are the circumstances that bring Tom Brangwen to take over the farm at only eighteen years of age?
8. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
9. Describe Anna's emotions as her parents build a life together.
10. Are Anna and William satisfied with their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Lawrence is trying to convey about life at the end of the Victorian Era and the beginning of the new century?
2) Does she depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Brangwen family?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life and relationships?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Ursula's coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as he grows from childhood to adulthood?
3) How does her outlook on life, education, and love change as she develops from a young girl into a woman?
4) Cite examples of the character changes in Ursula throughout her life.
Essay Topic 3
A rainbow appears twice in the novel.
1) What is the significance of the rainbow in each of the appearances?
2) What does the rainbow symbolize for the characters who see it?
3) Cite the events happening during each of the sightings of the rainbow.
4) Which characters see the significance of the rainbows?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)