|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lydia's mental state in the last few months of her pregnancy?
2. How does Anna feel about Tom after the baby is born?
3. What does William do to help him stop worrying about life and relaxing?
4. What angers Anna about Will's attitude at church?
5. What is Anna's reaction when Tom carries her into the barn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
2. Are Anna and William satisfied with their lives?
3. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
4. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
5. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
6. Explain what William asks the girl sitting next to him at the Empire, and what they do together.
7. Compare Tom's feeling toward his newborn son and his stepdaughter, Anna?
8. After the birth of their son, Lydia does have the passion for Tom that she once had. How does he deal with the desires he has for his wife?
9. What pains Tom as he stands at the altar at Anna's wedding?
10. Explain how the Brangwens come into more money as they live on the Marsh farm.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Does Ursula remain true to her ideals of being an individual, responsible for herself, and working in a man's world?
2) What is her final decision with regard to her future?
3) Cite examples from the novel to support the answer.
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Anna and William have for each other when they begin their relationship.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Explain.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Ursula's coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as he grows from childhood to adulthood?
3) How does her outlook on life, education, and love change as she develops from a young girl into a woman?
4) Cite examples of the character changes in Ursula throughout her life.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)