|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the person Anna meets that she considers a real person of consequence?
2. What does Tom crave more than ever from his wife?
3. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
4. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
5. What is Tom's secret desire for Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the birth of their son, Lydia does have the passion for Tom that she once had. How does he deal with the desires he has for his wife?
2. Are Anna and William satisfied with their lives?
3. Describe the toast Tom gives at Anna's wedding party?
4. Explain why William feels guilty when he looks out the door after his marriage to Anna.
5. Describe the relationship of William and Anna as the days go on.
6. Describe the impression Anna has of Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent with regard to their relationship.
7. Explain how the Brangwens come into more money as they live on the Marsh farm.
8. Describe Anna's emotions as her parents build a life together.
9. What pains Tom as he stands at the altar at Anna's wedding?
10. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In two scenes of the novel, Ursula and Anton are making love in the moonlight.
1) How does Lawrence use images of moonlight and shadow to convey the tone of their love making?
2) How does the imagery of moonlight in the first scene in the cornstacks compare with the moonlight in the sandhills later in the novel.
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ursula and Anna.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the other.
3) How is each character realistic in her view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as women differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Tom Brangwen and Winifred Inger.
2) Are they a good match? Explain.
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of their relationship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another for who they are.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)