|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna's reaction when Tom carries her into the barn?
2. Where have generations of Brangwens lived?
3. Why does Tom love to visit Anna and William?
4. What gift does Tom give Will and Anna for their wedding?
5. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of life do the Brangwens have on the Marsh farm?
2. Describe the relationship of William and Anna as the days go on.
3. Why do eleven of the men from the wedding party go to Anna and William's cottage?
4. Describe the impression Anna has of Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent with regard to their relationship.
5. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
6. What are the circumstances that bring Tom Brangwen to take over the farm at only eighteen years of age?
7. Explain why William feels guilty when he looks out the door after his marriage to Anna.
8. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
9. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
10. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Does Ursula remain true to her ideals of being an individual, responsible for herself, and working in a man's world?
2) What is her final decision with regard to her future?
3) Cite examples from the novel to support the answer.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Anna and her mother, Lydia.
2) How does Tom Brangwen affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does her father, Tom Brangwen, wish for Anna's future?
4) How does Anna's attitude toward her mother and stepfather change in the course of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how Anna and Lydia interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ursula and Anna.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the other.
3) How is each character realistic in her view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as women differ? Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)