|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Anna observes the Skrebensky's relationship, what does she wish for herself?
2. Why does Tom love to visit Anna and William?
3. What does Alfred tell Tom every person must do?
4. What is Tom's attitude toward his own life while his wife is miserable?
5. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the birth of their son, Lydia does have the passion for Tom that she once had. How does he deal with the desires he has for his wife?
2. What are the circumstances that bring Tom Brangwen to take over the farm at only eighteen years of age?
3. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
4. What is Tom's reaction when Anna hysterically screams that he is not her father?
5. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
6. What are Lydia Brangwen's hopes after Tom dies and she sees the troubles of her sons?
7. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
8. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
9. What is Ursula's reason for refusing the marriage proposal from Anthony?
10. What is William's physical and mental state after the birth of his third child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret the feelings Anna and William have for each other when they begin their relationship.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Explain.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In two scenes of the novel, Ursula and Anton are making love in the moonlight.
1) How does Lawrence use images of moonlight and shadow to convey the tone of their love making?
2) How does the imagery of moonlight in the first scene in the cornstacks compare with the moonlight in the sandhills later in the novel.
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare the characters of Anna and William Brangwen.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his view of life? Explain.
This section contains 1,676 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)