Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
2. Why does William begin to hate Anna as she talks to him about the carvings in the cathedral?
3. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
4. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
5. When does Ursula feel the most secure, warm, and happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
2. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
3. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
4. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
5. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
6. Describe the woman Tom Brangwen decides to marry.
7. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
8. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
9. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
10. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
Essay Topic 1
A rainbow appears twice in the novel.
1) What is the significance of the rainbow in each of the appearances?
2) What does the rainbow symbolize for the characters who see it?
3) Cite the events happening during each of the sightings of the rainbow.
4) Which characters see the significance of the rainbows?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Lydia Lensky's life to undergo a change.
3) How does she react to the events and their effects?
4) How does she grow emotionally in her own life and in her attitude toward her first husband, her second husband and her daughter because of these changes?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare the characters of Anna and William Brangwen.
2) Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
3) How do their views differ on life, marriage and children?
4) Which character is more realistic in his view of life? Explain.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)