Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
2. Why does William begin to hate Anna as she talks to him about the carvings in the cathedral?
3. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
4. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
5. When does Ursula feel the most secure, warm, and happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
2. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
3. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
4. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
5. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
6. Describe the woman Tom Brangwen decides to marry.
7. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
8. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
9. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
10. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ursula and Anna.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the other.
3) How is each character realistic in her view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as women differ? Cite examples from the novel.
1) Interpret the feelings Anna and William have for each other when they begin their relationship.
2) Are their emotions authentic? Explain.
3) Are they truthful with each other? Explain.
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married.
5) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
6) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
1) Analyze Ursula's coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does she experience as he grows from childhood to adulthood?
3) How does her outlook on life, education, and love change as she develops from a young girl into a woman?
4) Cite examples of the character changes in Ursula throughout her life.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)