|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna say to Tom that cuts him to the heart?
2. What does Tom crave more than ever from his wife?
3. Where does Tom take Anna as she hysterically cries for her mother?
4. What does Will discover about himself as he kisses Anna in the moonlight?
5. What does William witness that torments him for the rest of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Anna's emotions as her parents build a life together.
2. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
3. Why do eleven of the men from the wedding party go to Anna and William's cottage?
4. How does Tom manage to calm Anna down when she constantly screams for her mother while Lydia is in labor?
5. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
6. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
7. Describe the hatred that grows in seventeen-year-old, Anna, toward her mother.
8. How does William react when he sees Anna dancing naked in the bedroom?
9. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
10. What piece of advice does Alfred give Tom as they walk to Anna and William's cottage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Anna and her mother, Lydia.
2) How does Tom Brangwen affect their relationship with one another?
3) What does her father, Tom Brangwen, wish for Anna's future?
4) How does Anna's attitude toward her mother and stepfather change in the course of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how Anna and Lydia interact with one another.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Lydia Lensky's life to undergo a change.
3) How does she react to the events and their effects?
4) How does she grow emotionally in her own life and in her attitude toward her first husband, her second husband and her daughter because of these changes?
Essay Topic 3
1) What are some of the differences between Anna's view of religion and William's religious beliefs?
2) What effect do the two different viewpoints of religion have on each of the characters?
3) Using examples from the novel, explain how they support or condemn each others religious beliefs?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)