|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anton believe Ursula wants to do to him, even though they are lovers?
(a) Dominate him
(b) Insult his beliefs
(c) Leave him for someone else
(d) Destroy his being
2. What does Will ask Mr. and Mrs. Brangwen after he and Anna kiss in the cornfield?
(a) He asks if he can court Anna.
(b) He asks if he can work on the farm.
(c) He asks for her hand in marriage.
(d) He asks that they tell Anna he is leaving.
3. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
(a) The cathedral is his absolute.
(b) The cathedral is his reality.
(c) The cathedral is his doorway to heaven.
(d) The cathedral doorway to eternity is false.
4. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
(a) More people are getting married and having children
(b) The Midland Railway comes down the valley.
(c) There is a goldrush.
(d) The town offers public education
5. What does Ursula hate about her mother?
(a) Her mother's satisfaction with child-bearing and domesticity
(b) Her mother's belief in the rights of women
(c) Her mother making a living outside the home
(d) Her mother's need for independence
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anna feel about Tom after the baby is born?
2. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
3. Why does Tom love to visit Anna and William?
4. What lesson about life did Ursula learn at an early age after her father insults her for stepping in the seed beds?
5. What does Tom see in the loft of the barn that distresses him, making him feel like an old man?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)