|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
(a) He is above average in all his studies
(b) He is at the top of his class in mathematics
(c) His brain is slow, hopeless, and good for nothing.
(d) He is the best reader in the class.
2. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
(a) He picks her up, dancing around the room.
(b) He passes out.
(c) He nods his head and heads for home.
(d) He has to sit down, sealed in oblivion.
3. What is Tom's reaction to Lydia after they are married and the guests leave?
(a) He is rough and cruel to her.
(b) He is terrified at her strangeness and cannot meet her eyes.
(c) He is indifferent to his new wife.
(d) He is ecstatic with joy and cannot wait to hold her.
4. When does a darkness and dread come over Lydia's mind?
(a) At the start of the war
(b) When she becomes a nurse
(c) When she marries Paul Lensky
(d) After her two children die of diphtheria
5. What gift does Tom give Will and Anna for their wedding?
(a) He gives them a share in the farm.
(b) He gives them a horse and carriage.
(c) He gives them a cottage in Cossethay.
(d) He gives them his favorite stallion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
2. What does Tom see in the loft of the barn that distresses him, making him feel like an old man?
3. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
4. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
5. What does Anna say to Tom that cuts him to the heart?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)