|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
(a) He becomes closer to Anna and drinks more.
(b) He spends all his time at the bar.
(c) He reads throughout the night.
(d) He works day and night.
2. When does a darkness and dread come over Lydia's mind?
(a) At the start of the war
(b) After her two children die of diphtheria
(c) When she marries Paul Lensky
(d) When she becomes a nurse
3. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
(a) Lydia does not want him ever again.
(b) He does not want Lydia as much as he used to.
(c) He wants to be with other women.
(d) Lydia does not want him as much as he wants her.
4. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
(a) She enjoys all the men, smells, and noise around her.
(b) She feels grown up and hopes Tom will stay away for a while.
(c) She likes talking to all the men at the market.
(d) She feels alone and thinks Tom will never come back to get her.
5. Who is the person Anna meets that she considers a real person of consequence?
(b) Baron Skrebensky
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Tom give Will and Anna for their wedding?
2. What is Tom's attitude toward his own life while his wife is miserable?
3. Where have generations of Brangwens lived?
4. When does Tom find the end of youth's passionate desire, losing his individuality?
5. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)