|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What change to Jason's future plans has taken place now that his father is gone?
2. Why does Jason go to Kyle's house in Chapter 14?
3. What does Kyle tell Nelson happened to Shea in Chapter 21?
4. For what reason does Jason tell Debra he can no longer be with her?
5. Why does Jason stop Kyle from sitting at the athletes table in the cafeteria in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jason's father respond to Kyle and Nelson? How does Jason deal with his father's reaction?
2. What does Nelson's father say to Nelson on the phone? What does this conversation suggest about Nelson's relationship with his father?
3. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
4. How does Jason respond to the kiss he has shared with Kyle?
5. What happens to Nelson that makes Jason feel the need to interfere? What does Jason do?
6. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
7. Who approaches Jason in the final chapter of the book? For what reason?
8. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
9. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
10. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jason? Why does he attend the Rainbow Youth meeting in the first chapter of the book? What does Jason think he will get out of the meeting? Does Jason think he is gay? Why does Jason keep insisting to himself that he might be bisexual, but not gay? What is the difference? Why is this difference important to Jason? How does Jason react when he sees two boys from school at the meeting? Why is Jason unhappy for these boys to see him? What does Jason think will happen if these boys tell anyone what they saw?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the following relationships in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and his mother - Kyle and his mother
2) Nelson and Kyle - Jason and Kyle
3) Nelson and Shea - Nelson and Kyle
Essay Topic 3
What makes Jason think that his father will not be supportive of his sexuality? How does Jason know how his father will react? Where does this behavior more than likely come from? How does Jason's mother treat him? Is she accepting of his sexuality? Why does Jason's mother join Al-Anon? What is Al-Anon designed to do for people? What does this say about Jason's home life? What does Jason hope will allow him to escape the situation at home? What threatens this escape plan?
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)