|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dane?
2. From whom does Nelson receive an impersonal Christmas card in Chapter 15?
3. What happens in chapter 18 when Nelson tries to contact Brick?
4. For the first time, with whom does Jason stop to talk in the hallway at school in Chapter 22?
5. Why does Jason go to Kyle's house in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
2. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
3. How does Nelson feel when his father fails to pick him up for their pre-arranged dinner plans?
4. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
5. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
6. How does Jason's father respond to Kyle and Nelson? How does Jason deal with his father's reaction?
7. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
8. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
9. Nelson and his mother both speak at the school board meeting to support the beginning of a Gay-Straight Alliance club at the high school. What does Nelson talk about and what impact does it have on the board and those who oppose the club?
10. Where does Nelson meet Brick? What happens when Nelson meets Brick at a local coffee bar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Jason think that his father will not be supportive of his sexuality? How does Jason know how his father will react? Where does this behavior more than likely come from? How does Jason's mother treat him? Is she accepting of his sexuality? Why does Jason's mother join Al-Anon? What is Al-Anon designed to do for people? What does this say about Jason's home life? What does Jason hope will allow him to escape the situation at home? What threatens this escape plan?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Jason so afraid for people to learn about his friendship with Kyle? Why is Jason afraid of people learning he is gay? Why does Jason hesitate to do things, such as rescue Kyle and Nelson from bullies or attend the GSA meeting? What often changes Jason's mind? How does Jason come to tell his father the truth about his sexuality? How does Jason's father react? Why does Jason believe it is his fault that his father left the family? Is his father leaving such a bad thing for Jason and his family? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Debra? How can Jason have a girlfriend if he thinks he is gay? Is it possible for Jason to love Debra even though he is gay or bisexual? Why does Jason feel it is important to point out to the reader that he and Debra have been intimate? What does this suggest about Jason's sexuality? How does this relationship add to Jason's confusion over his sexuality? Why does Jason think of Kyle while with Debra? How does he justify this thought to himself? Why does he feel the need to justify these thoughts to himself?
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)