|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the chaos in Jason's home during the Christmas break as described in Chapter 16?
2. Who visits Jason's home during the Christmas holiday?
3. What excuse does Nelson give Kyle for not using protection during his encounter with Brick?
4. How long does Debra claim it has been since she and Jason last talked in Chapter 13?
5. What argument does Ms. MacTrough give for the approval of the GSA?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
2. How does Jason's father respond to Kyle and Nelson? How does Jason deal with his father's reaction?
3. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
4. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
5. What does Nelson's father say to Nelson on the phone? What does this conversation suggest about Nelson's relationship with his father?
6. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
7. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
8. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
9. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
10. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is HIV? How is it spread? Why does Nelson have an unprotected encounter with an older man? Why does he panic when he realizes it was unprotected? What danger does this encounter pose for Nelson? How does Nelson feel about people who test positive for HIV? How does Nelson react when he learns that Jeremy is HIV positive? Does this change Nelson's opinion of those with HIV? Is HIV a reality of being gay? How do most people deal with it? How does Nelson choose to deal with it?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Nelson in a hurry to have his first sexual experience? With whom would he have preferred to have it? With whom does Nelson have his first experience? How does Nelson feel about this encounter? For what reason? How does Kyle react to what Nelson has done? Why is Nelson's behavior so dangerous? Would Nelson have behaved in a similar fashion if he were straight? Explain. Why is Kyle reluctant to have a sexual encounter with Nelson? How does Nelson feel about that? Does Kyle's reluctance add to Nelson's emotional state and reckless behaviors?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the following relationships in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and his mother - Kyle and his mother
2) Nelson and Kyle - Jason and Kyle
3) Nelson and Shea - Nelson and Kyle
This section contains 1,463 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)