|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jason stop a freshman from doing to a flyer for the GSA in Chapter 22?
2. What item does Debra return to Jason when they break up?
3. What reason does Kyle give his parents for not telling them sooner about the harassment he has suffered due to his sexuality?
4. Where does Jason take the injured Nelson and Kyle after a fight in Chapter 19?
5. What do Nelson and Kyle learn has happened to their club request to the school board?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following relationships in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Jason and Debra
2) Jason and Kyle
3) Kyle and his father.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Nelson in a hurry to have his first sexual experience? With whom would he have preferred to have it? With whom does Nelson have his first experience? How does Nelson feel about this encounter? For what reason? How does Kyle react to what Nelson has done? Why is Nelson's behavior so dangerous? Would Nelson have behaved in a similar fashion if he were straight? Explain. Why is Kyle reluctant to have a sexual encounter with Nelson? How does Nelson feel about that? Does Kyle's reluctance add to Nelson's emotional state and reckless behaviors?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Kyle participate on the swimming team at school? How does Kyle feel pressured to be an athlete? How does this impact Kyle's relationship with his father? Why do some men equate athletic ability to manliness? Is Kyle less of a man because he does not like sports? How does Kyle's situation with his father compare to Jason's relationship with his father? Does Kyle's father approve of Jason only because Jason is an athlete? Explain.
This section contains 1,715 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)