|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Nelson go out at the end of Chapter 21?
2. What happens in chapter 18 when Nelson tries to contact Brick?
3. Who does Kyle ask to attend a high school basketball game with him in Chapter 20?
4. Why does Jason go to Kyle's house in Chapter 14?
5. Where does Jason take the injured Nelson and Kyle after a fight in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
2. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
3. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
4. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
5. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
6. How does Jason's father respond to Kyle and Nelson? How does Jason deal with his father's reaction?
7. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
8. How does Jason respond to the kiss he has shared with Kyle?
9. What happens when Jason and his father get into an altercation over the volume of his stereo?
10. Who does Nelson tell Shea he has been contacting over the Internet? For what reason does Shea suggest Nelson has been contacting this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Nelson grow jealous of Kyle's affections for Jason? How does Nelson feel about Kyle? About Jason? How does Nelson express his feelings toward these boys? Who does Nelson most often turn to for support? Why? Why does Nelson on two separate occasions try to convince Kyle to kiss him? How does Kyle react? For what reason? Why is Nelson insecure, afraid that he will never find true love? Where does this insecurity come from? How might Nelson learn to deal with this insecurity a little better?
Essay Topic 2
How does Nelson feel about his father? How involved in his life is Nelson's father? Why does Nelson not appreciate the Christmas gift his father sends to him? Why does Nelson get angry with his father when they speak on the phone? Why does Nelson's father fail to show up to take him to dinner? How does his relationship with his father impact Nelson's emotional state? How does it impact Nelson's deep desire to be loved? How does Nelson's father show that he is not as supportive of Nelson's sexuality as Nelson's mother?
Essay Topic 3
How does Kyle feel about Jason's attempts to hide their relationship? Does Kyle understand Jason's motives? How does Nelson feel about the way Jason treats Kyle? Why does Nelson seem to support Jason's actions when he tries to keep Kyle from sitting at the athlete's table at lunch? Is Jason's treatment of Kyle fair? What might happen to Jason and Kyle if the other students at school learn the truth of their relationship? Is this a risk that the boys should be willing to take? Explain.
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)