|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nelson's father tell him he needs to practice more in his life?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 21, what does Nelson notice has changed about Kyle's appearance?
3. Who comes to Jason's home in Chapter 22 to repair their relationship?
4. Who visits Jason's home during the Christmas holiday?
5. What does Kyle's father suggest he might do after Kyle's fight with Jack and Jose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nelson that makes Jason feel the need to interfere? What does Jason do?
2. What does Nelson's father say to Nelson on the phone? What does this conversation suggest about Nelson's relationship with his father?
3. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
4. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
5. How does Jason respond to the kiss he has shared with Kyle?
6. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
7. How does Nelson feel when his father fails to pick him up for their pre-arranged dinner plans?
8. Where does Nelson meet Brick? What happens when Nelson meets Brick at a local coffee bar?
9. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
10. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Nelson? What is unique about the way Nelson dresses and behaves? Why does Nelson's personality cause him trouble in school? What does the school do about this? How does Nelson feel about this treatment? What is the attitude of Nelson's mother toward his sexuality? How is this different from the other characters in the book? Does the acceptance Nelson finds at home and among his friends cause him to deal with his sexuality differently than the other characters in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Kyle? How does Kyle feel about his own sexuality? Why is Kyle worried about people at school learning the truth about his sexuality? What does Kyle think will happen if people learn the truth? Why has Kyle not told his parents about his sexuality? How does Kyle think his parents will react to the news of his sexuality? Why does Kyle think this? What is Kyle's relationship like with his mother? With his father?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Kyle participate on the swimming team at school? How does Kyle feel pressured to be an athlete? How does this impact Kyle's relationship with his father? Why do some men equate athletic ability to manliness? Is Kyle less of a man because he does not like sports? How does Kyle's situation with his father compare to Jason's relationship with his father? Does Kyle's father approve of Jason only because Jason is an athlete? Explain.
This section contains 1,357 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)