|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what school does Jason receive a scholarship?
2. What expensive item does Kyle want to improve his appearance for which he is hesitant to ask his parents?
3. For what reason does Jason tell Debra he can no longer be with her?
4. What does Nelson's father tell him he needs to practice more in his life?
5. Why is Jason convinced that going to the first GSA meeting would be a mistake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nelson's father say to Nelson on the phone? What does this conversation suggest about Nelson's relationship with his father?
2. Why does Jason feel that his father's leaving is his fault? How does Jason's father compare to Kyle and Nelson's fathers in this novel?
3. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
4. How does Jason respond to the kiss he has shared with Kyle?
5. How does Nelson feel when his father fails to pick him up for their pre-arranged dinner plans?
6. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
7. What happens to Nelson that makes Jason feel the need to interfere? What does Jason do?
8. What does Kyle say when he kisses Jason? How does Jason respond?
9. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
10. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Nelson grow jealous of Kyle's affections for Jason? How does Nelson feel about Kyle? About Jason? How does Nelson express his feelings toward these boys? Who does Nelson most often turn to for support? Why? Why does Nelson on two separate occasions try to convince Kyle to kiss him? How does Kyle react? For what reason? Why is Nelson insecure, afraid that he will never find true love? Where does this insecurity come from? How might Nelson learn to deal with this insecurity a little better?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Shea? What is her relationship with Nelson? How often does Nelson go to Shea with his troubles? What does Shea know about Nelson that no one else knows? Why does Nelson begin avoiding Shea's calls? How does Shea feel about this? Why does Shea end her relationship with Nelson? How does Shea respond when Nelson seeks her out and tries to make amends? Why does she behave in this way? Is she right? What might Nelson have done differently to avoid this situation?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Kyle participate on the swimming team at school? How does Kyle feel pressured to be an athlete? How does this impact Kyle's relationship with his father? Why do some men equate athletic ability to manliness? Is Kyle less of a man because he does not like sports? How does Kyle's situation with his father compare to Jason's relationship with his father? Does Kyle's father approve of Jason only because Jason is an athlete? Explain.
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)