|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beverage does Nelson drink while alone with an older man in Chapter 12?
2. What change to Jason's future plans has taken place now that his father is gone?
3. With whom does Nelson go out at the end of Chapter 21?
4. To what school does Jason receive a scholarship?
5. What happens in chapter 18 when Nelson tries to contact Brick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
2. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
3. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
4. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
5. How does Nelson feel when his father fails to pick him up for their pre-arranged dinner plans?
6. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
7. Where does Nelson meet Brick? What happens when Nelson meets Brick at a local coffee bar?
8. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
9. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
10. Who does Nelson tell Shea he has been contacting over the Internet? For what reason does Shea suggest Nelson has been contacting this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Jason think that his father will not be supportive of his sexuality? How does Jason know how his father will react? Where does this behavior more than likely come from? How does Jason's mother treat him? Is she accepting of his sexuality? Why does Jason's mother join Al-Anon? What is Al-Anon designed to do for people? What does this say about Jason's home life? What does Jason hope will allow him to escape the situation at home? What threatens this escape plan?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
3) Parental relationships
Essay Topic 3
What is HIV? How is it spread? Why does Nelson have an unprotected encounter with an older man? Why does he panic when he realizes it was unprotected? What danger does this encounter pose for Nelson? How does Nelson feel about people who test positive for HIV? How does Nelson react when he learns that Jeremy is HIV positive? Does this change Nelson's opinion of those with HIV? Is HIV a reality of being gay? How do most people deal with it? How does Nelson choose to deal with it?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)