|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Nelson tell Brick he is in Chapter 15?
2. What do Nelson and Kyle learn has happened to their club request to the school board?
3. What happens during basketball practice in Chapter 16 that makes Jason wonder if he has become a target of intolerance?
4. What is Jason doing when chaos begins to break out during the Christmas holiday in Chapter 16?
5. Why does Jason go to Kyle's house in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
2. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
3. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
4. Who does Nelson tell Shea he has been contacting over the Internet? For what reason does Shea suggest Nelson has been contacting this person?
5. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
6. How does Jason's father respond to Kyle and Nelson? How does Jason deal with his father's reaction?
7. Why does Jason feel that his father's leaving is his fault? How does Jason's father compare to Kyle and Nelson's fathers in this novel?
8. What does Kyle say when he kisses Jason? How does Jason respond?
9. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
10. What does Nelson's father say to Nelson on the phone? What does this conversation suggest about Nelson's relationship with his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Debra? How can Jason have a girlfriend if he thinks he is gay? Is it possible for Jason to love Debra even though he is gay or bisexual? Why does Jason feel it is important to point out to the reader that he and Debra have been intimate? What does this suggest about Jason's sexuality? How does this relationship add to Jason's confusion over his sexuality? Why does Jason think of Kyle while with Debra? How does he justify this thought to himself? Why does he feel the need to justify these thoughts to himself?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Nelson grow jealous of Kyle's affections for Jason? How does Nelson feel about Kyle? About Jason? How does Nelson express his feelings toward these boys? Who does Nelson most often turn to for support? Why? Why does Nelson on two separate occasions try to convince Kyle to kiss him? How does Kyle react? For what reason? Why is Nelson insecure, afraid that he will never find true love? Where does this insecurity come from? How might Nelson learn to deal with this insecurity a little better?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Shea? What is her relationship with Nelson? How often does Nelson go to Shea with his troubles? What does Shea know about Nelson that no one else knows? Why does Nelson begin avoiding Shea's calls? How does Shea feel about this? Why does Shea end her relationship with Nelson? How does Shea respond when Nelson seeks her out and tries to make amends? Why does she behave in this way? Is she right? What might Nelson have done differently to avoid this situation?
This section contains 1,505 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)