|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Nelson tell Brick he is in Chapter 15?
2. From whom does Nelson receive an impersonal Christmas card in Chapter 15?
3. What changes in Jason and Kyle's relationship in Chapter 20 after the fight between Nelson and Kyle and Jack and Jose?
4. For what reason does Kyle find Jason depressed and alone in his home at the end of Chapter 20?
5. Where does Jason take the injured Nelson and Kyle after a fight in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
2. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
3. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
4. Where does Nelson meet Brick? What happens when Nelson meets Brick at a local coffee bar?
5. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
6. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
7. Who approaches Jason in the final chapter of the book? For what reason?
8. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
9. What does Kyle say when he kisses Jason? How does Jason respond?
10. Nelson and his mother both speak at the school board meeting to support the beginning of a Gay-Straight Alliance club at the high school. What does Nelson talk about and what impact does it have on the board and those who oppose the club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jason? Why does he attend the Rainbow Youth meeting in the first chapter of the book? What does Jason think he will get out of the meeting? Does Jason think he is gay? Why does Jason keep insisting to himself that he might be bisexual, but not gay? What is the difference? Why is this difference important to Jason? How does Jason react when he sees two boys from school at the meeting? Why is Jason unhappy for these boys to see him? What does Jason think will happen if these boys tell anyone what they saw?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Jason think that his father will not be supportive of his sexuality? How does Jason know how his father will react? Where does this behavior more than likely come from? How does Jason's mother treat him? Is she accepting of his sexuality? Why does Jason's mother join Al-Anon? What is Al-Anon designed to do for people? What does this say about Jason's home life? What does Jason hope will allow him to escape the situation at home? What threatens this escape plan?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Shea? What is her relationship with Nelson? How often does Nelson go to Shea with his troubles? What does Shea know about Nelson that no one else knows? Why does Nelson begin avoiding Shea's calls? How does Shea feel about this? Why does Shea end her relationship with Nelson? How does Shea respond when Nelson seeks her out and tries to make amends? Why does she behave in this way? Is she right? What might Nelson have done differently to avoid this situation?
This section contains 1,440 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)