|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What argument does Ms. MacTrough give for the approval of the GSA?
2. For what reason does Nelson reveal his mother has grounded him in Chapter 17?
3. How long does Debra claim it has been since she and Jason last talked in Chapter 13?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 21, what does Nelson notice has changed about Kyle's appearance?
5. Who wrote a derogatory word on Kyle's locker during the Christmas break?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
2. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
3. What does Kyle say when he kisses Jason? How does Jason respond?
4. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
5. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
6. Who does Nelson tell Shea he has been contacting over the Internet? For what reason does Shea suggest Nelson has been contacting this person?
7. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
8. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
9. Where does Nelson meet Brick? What happens when Nelson meets Brick at a local coffee bar?
10. What happens when Jason and his father get into an altercation over the volume of his stereo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support any conclusions:
1) Point of View
Essay Topic 2
What makes Jason think that his father will not be supportive of his sexuality? How does Jason know how his father will react? Where does this behavior more than likely come from? How does Jason's mother treat him? Is she accepting of his sexuality? Why does Jason's mother join Al-Anon? What is Al-Anon designed to do for people? What does this say about Jason's home life? What does Jason hope will allow him to escape the situation at home? What threatens this escape plan?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
3) Parental relationships
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)