|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Nelson learn Jeremy has been diagnosed with in Chapter 18?
2. Why does Shea refuse to repair her friendship with Nelson in Chapter 21?
3. Who does Jason's mother initially believe might be responsible for Jason's sexuality?
4. Why does Shea suggest Nelson has begun talking to an older man over the Internet?
5. What changes in Jason and Kyle's relationship in Chapter 20 after the fight between Nelson and Kyle and Jack and Jose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nelson that makes Jason feel the need to interfere? What does Jason do?
2. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
3. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
4. Nelson and his mother both speak at the school board meeting to support the beginning of a Gay-Straight Alliance club at the high school. What does Nelson talk about and what impact does it have on the board and those who oppose the club?
5. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
6. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
7. Where does Nelson meet Brick? What happens when Nelson meets Brick at a local coffee bar?
8. Who approaches Jason in the final chapter of the book? For what reason?
9. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
10. How does Jason's father respond to Kyle and Nelson? How does Jason deal with his father's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following relationships in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Jason and Debra
2) Jason and Kyle
3) Kyle and his father.
Essay Topic 2
What makes Jason think that his father will not be supportive of his sexuality? How does Jason know how his father will react? Where does this behavior more than likely come from? How does Jason's mother treat him? Is she accepting of his sexuality? Why does Jason's mother join Al-Anon? What is Al-Anon designed to do for people? What does this say about Jason's home life? What does Jason hope will allow him to escape the situation at home? What threatens this escape plan?
Essay Topic 3
What is HIV? How is it spread? Why does Nelson have an unprotected encounter with an older man? Why does he panic when he realizes it was unprotected? What danger does this encounter pose for Nelson? How does Nelson feel about people who test positive for HIV? How does Nelson react when he learns that Jeremy is HIV positive? Does this change Nelson's opinion of those with HIV? Is HIV a reality of being gay? How do most people deal with it? How does Nelson choose to deal with it?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)