|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jason stop a freshman from doing to a flyer for the GSA in Chapter 22?
2. How has Jason been treating Kyle since their trip to the movies?
3. What changes in Jason and Kyle's relationship in Chapter 20 after the fight between Nelson and Kyle and Jack and Jose?
4. Who is Dane?
5. For what reason does Nelson reveal his mother has grounded him in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
2. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
3. How does Jason's father respond to Kyle and Nelson? How does Jason deal with his father's reaction?
4. Why does Jason feel that his father's leaving is his fault? How does Jason's father compare to Kyle and Nelson's fathers in this novel?
5. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
6. Where does Nelson meet Brick? What happens when Nelson meets Brick at a local coffee bar?
7. What happens when Jason and his father get into an altercation over the volume of his stereo?
8. How does Nelson feel when his father fails to pick him up for their pre-arranged dinner plans?
9. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
10. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Nelson feel about his father? How involved in his life is Nelson's father? Why does Nelson not appreciate the Christmas gift his father sends to him? Why does Nelson get angry with his father when they speak on the phone? Why does Nelson's father fail to show up to take him to dinner? How does his relationship with his father impact Nelson's emotional state? How does it impact Nelson's deep desire to be loved? How does Nelson's father show that he is not as supportive of Nelson's sexuality as Nelson's mother?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Gay-Straight Alliance? Why do Nelson and Kyle want to start a branch of the club in their school? What do they hope to do with this club? Why is the principal hesitant to allow the club at the high school? Is the principal biased against Nelson and Kyle, or are there other reasons for his actions? What does Nelson talk about at the school board meeting when he goes to argue for the club? How does this argument impact the decision of the school board? How do most of the kids at school react to the club? How might you react to such a club at your school?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the art teacher encourage Kyle to come out to his parents? How does Kyle feel about the possibility of telling his parents the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's mother finally realize her son is gay? How does she react to this information? How does Kyle tell his father the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's father react to the news? Why is Kyle convinced that his parents are not supportive of his choices? How do they change his mind?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)