|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kyle tell Jason the fight began?
2. To whom does Brick reveal the apartment really belongs after his encounter with Nelson in Chapter 15?
3. What changes in Jason and Kyle's relationship in Chapter 20 after the fight between Nelson and Kyle and Jack and Jose?
4. Why does Kyle go to see Nelson in Chapter 17?
5. Who does Nelson's mother threaten to call if he does not tell her what is causing his depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kyle say when he kisses Jason? How does Jason respond?
2. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
3. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
4. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
5. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
6. Nelson and his mother both speak at the school board meeting to support the beginning of a Gay-Straight Alliance club at the high school. What does Nelson talk about and what impact does it have on the board and those who oppose the club?
7. What happens to Nelson that makes Jason feel the need to interfere? What does Jason do?
8. How does Nelson feel when his father fails to pick him up for their pre-arranged dinner plans?
9. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
10. Why does Jason feel that his father's leaving is his fault? How does Jason's father compare to Kyle and Nelson's fathers in this novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support any conclusions:
1) Point of View
Essay Topic 2
Why does Kyle participate on the swimming team at school? How does Kyle feel pressured to be an athlete? How does this impact Kyle's relationship with his father? Why do some men equate athletic ability to manliness? Is Kyle less of a man because he does not like sports? How does Kyle's situation with his father compare to Jason's relationship with his father? Does Kyle's father approve of Jason only because Jason is an athlete? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why is Nelson in a hurry to have his first sexual experience? With whom would he have preferred to have it? With whom does Nelson have his first experience? How does Nelson feel about this encounter? For what reason? How does Kyle react to what Nelson has done? Why is Nelson's behavior so dangerous? Would Nelson have behaved in a similar fashion if he were straight? Explain. Why is Kyle reluctant to have a sexual encounter with Nelson? How does Nelson feel about that? Does Kyle's reluctance add to Nelson's emotional state and reckless behaviors?
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)