|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jason stop Kyle from sitting at the athletes table in the cafeteria in Chapter 16?
2. For what reason does Kyle find Jason depressed and alone in his home at the end of Chapter 20?
3. With whom does Nelson go out at the end of Chapter 21?
4. Who is Dane?
5. With whom does Nelson leave the Rainbow Youth party in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
2. How does Nelson feel when his father fails to pick him up for their pre-arranged dinner plans?
3. What does Kyle say when he kisses Jason? How does Jason respond?
4. How does Jason's father respond to Kyle and Nelson? How does Jason deal with his father's reaction?
5. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
6. Who approaches Jason in the final chapter of the book? For what reason?
7. How does Jason respond to the kiss he has shared with Kyle?
8. Why does Jason feel that his father's leaving is his fault? How does Jason's father compare to Kyle and Nelson's fathers in this novel?
9. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
10. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and Kyle
2) Nelson and Jason
3) Jason and Corey
Essay Topic 2
Who is Nelson? What is unique about the way Nelson dresses and behaves? Why does Nelson's personality cause him trouble in school? What does the school do about this? How does Nelson feel about this treatment? What is the attitude of Nelson's mother toward his sexuality? How is this different from the other characters in the book? Does the acceptance Nelson finds at home and among his friends cause him to deal with his sexuality differently than the other characters in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Debra? How can Jason have a girlfriend if he thinks he is gay? Is it possible for Jason to love Debra even though he is gay or bisexual? Why does Jason feel it is important to point out to the reader that he and Debra have been intimate? What does this suggest about Jason's sexuality? How does this relationship add to Jason's confusion over his sexuality? Why does Jason think of Kyle while with Debra? How does he justify this thought to himself? Why does he feel the need to justify these thoughts to himself?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)