|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Nelson give Kyle for not using protection during his encounter with Brick?
2. What change to Jason's future plans has taken place now that his father is gone?
3. What expensive item does Kyle want to improve his appearance for which he is hesitant to ask his parents?
4. Who does Kyle ask to attend a high school basketball game with him in Chapter 20?
5. Why does Jason turn up the sound on his stereo in Chapter 13, causing his father to become angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
2. Why does Jason feel that his father's leaving is his fault? How does Jason's father compare to Kyle and Nelson's fathers in this novel?
3. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
4. Where does Nelson meet Brick? What happens when Nelson meets Brick at a local coffee bar?
5. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
6. How does Nelson feel when his father fails to pick him up for their pre-arranged dinner plans?
7. How does Jason respond to the kiss he has shared with Kyle?
8. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
9. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
10. How does Jason's father respond to Kyle and Nelson? How does Jason deal with his father's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support any conclusions:
1) Point of View
Essay Topic 2
How does Kyle feel about Jason's attempts to hide their relationship? Does Kyle understand Jason's motives? How does Nelson feel about the way Jason treats Kyle? Why does Nelson seem to support Jason's actions when he tries to keep Kyle from sitting at the athlete's table at lunch? Is Jason's treatment of Kyle fair? What might happen to Jason and Kyle if the other students at school learn the truth of their relationship? Is this a risk that the boys should be willing to take? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the art teacher encourage Kyle to come out to his parents? How does Kyle feel about the possibility of telling his parents the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's mother finally realize her son is gay? How does she react to this information? How does Kyle tell his father the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's father react to the news? Why is Kyle convinced that his parents are not supportive of his choices? How do they change his mind?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)