|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jason turn up the sound on his stereo in Chapter 13, causing his father to become angry?
2. What change to Jason's future plans has taken place now that his father is gone?
3. On whose side does Nelson fall when Kyle tells Nelson about Jason's refusal to allow Kyle to sit with him in the cafeteria?
4. How does Jason make Jack Ransom leave Nelson and Kyle alone?
5. Where does Jason take the injured Nelson and Kyle after a fight in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jason and his father get into an altercation over the volume of his stereo?
2. How does Nelson feel when his father fails to pick him up for their pre-arranged dinner plans?
3. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
4. Why does Jason feel that his father's leaving is his fault? How does Jason's father compare to Kyle and Nelson's fathers in this novel?
5. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
6. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
7. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
8. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
9. Nelson and his mother both speak at the school board meeting to support the beginning of a Gay-Straight Alliance club at the high school. What does Nelson talk about and what impact does it have on the board and those who oppose the club?
10. What happens to Nelson that makes Jason feel the need to interfere? What does Jason do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jason? Why does he attend the Rainbow Youth meeting in the first chapter of the book? What does Jason think he will get out of the meeting? Does Jason think he is gay? Why does Jason keep insisting to himself that he might be bisexual, but not gay? What is the difference? Why is this difference important to Jason? How does Jason react when he sees two boys from school at the meeting? Why is Jason unhappy for these boys to see him? What does Jason think will happen if these boys tell anyone what they saw?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
3) Parental relationships
Essay Topic 3
Who is Debra? How can Jason have a girlfriend if he thinks he is gay? Is it possible for Jason to love Debra even though he is gay or bisexual? Why does Jason feel it is important to point out to the reader that he and Debra have been intimate? What does this suggest about Jason's sexuality? How does this relationship add to Jason's confusion over his sexuality? Why does Jason think of Kyle while with Debra? How does he justify this thought to himself? Why does he feel the need to justify these thoughts to himself?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)