|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jason make Jack Ransom leave Nelson and Kyle alone?
2. How does Nelson's mother react to the fight Nelson and Kyle got into with Jack and Jose?
3. What item does Debra return to Jason when they break up?
4. On whose side does Nelson fall when Kyle tells Nelson about Jason's refusal to allow Kyle to sit with him in the cafeteria?
5. Why does Jason turn up the sound on his stereo in Chapter 13, causing his father to become angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Nelson meet Brick? What happens when Nelson meets Brick at a local coffee bar?
2. Who approaches Jason in the final chapter of the book? For what reason?
3. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
4. What does Nelson's father say to Nelson on the phone? What does this conversation suggest about Nelson's relationship with his father?
5. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
6. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
7. Who does Nelson tell Shea he has been contacting over the Internet? For what reason does Shea suggest Nelson has been contacting this person?
8. How does Nelson feel when his father fails to pick him up for their pre-arranged dinner plans?
9. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
10. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Nelson? What is unique about the way Nelson dresses and behaves? Why does Nelson's personality cause him trouble in school? What does the school do about this? How does Nelson feel about this treatment? What is the attitude of Nelson's mother toward his sexuality? How is this different from the other characters in the book? Does the acceptance Nelson finds at home and among his friends cause him to deal with his sexuality differently than the other characters in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Nelson grow jealous of Kyle's affections for Jason? How does Nelson feel about Kyle? About Jason? How does Nelson express his feelings toward these boys? Who does Nelson most often turn to for support? Why? Why does Nelson on two separate occasions try to convince Kyle to kiss him? How does Kyle react? For what reason? Why is Nelson insecure, afraid that he will never find true love? Where does this insecurity come from? How might Nelson learn to deal with this insecurity a little better?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Kyle? How does Kyle feel about his own sexuality? Why is Kyle worried about people at school learning the truth about his sexuality? What does Kyle think will happen if people learn the truth? Why has Kyle not told his parents about his sexuality? How does Kyle think his parents will react to the news of his sexuality? Why does Kyle think this? What is Kyle's relationship like with his mother? With his father?
This section contains 1,390 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)