|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jason's father feel about this scholarship?
2. What illness does Nelson learn Jeremy has been diagnosed with in Chapter 18?
3. How does Jason's mother react when Jason's father breaks his stereo?
4. Why does Jason make the final decision to attend the meeting?
5. To what school does Jason receive a scholarship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
2. How does Jason respond to the kiss he has shared with Kyle?
3. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
4. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
5. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
6. What happens when Jason and his father get into an altercation over the volume of his stereo?
7. Who does Nelson tell Shea he has been contacting over the Internet? For what reason does Shea suggest Nelson has been contacting this person?
8. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
9. Nelson and his mother both speak at the school board meeting to support the beginning of a Gay-Straight Alliance club at the high school. What does Nelson talk about and what impact does it have on the board and those who oppose the club?
10. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Nelson? What is unique about the way Nelson dresses and behaves? Why does Nelson's personality cause him trouble in school? What does the school do about this? How does Nelson feel about this treatment? What is the attitude of Nelson's mother toward his sexuality? How is this different from the other characters in the book? Does the acceptance Nelson finds at home and among his friends cause him to deal with his sexuality differently than the other characters in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What makes Jason think that his father will not be supportive of his sexuality? How does Jason know how his father will react? Where does this behavior more than likely come from? How does Jason's mother treat him? Is she accepting of his sexuality? Why does Jason's mother join Al-Anon? What is Al-Anon designed to do for people? What does this say about Jason's home life? What does Jason hope will allow him to escape the situation at home? What threatens this escape plan?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
3) Parental relationships
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)