|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the chaos in Jason's home during the Christmas break as described in Chapter 16?
2. How does Jason's father feel about this scholarship?
3. Why is Shea angry with Nelson when he calls her in chapter 18?
4. What item does Nelson's mother use to support her arguments in favor of the GSA?
5. What does Brick serve Nelson to drink when they arrive at his apartment in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
2. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
3. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
4. Nelson and his mother both speak at the school board meeting to support the beginning of a Gay-Straight Alliance club at the high school. What does Nelson talk about and what impact does it have on the board and those who oppose the club?
5. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
6. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
7. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
8. What happens to Nelson that makes Jason feel the need to interfere? What does Jason do?
9. How does Jason's father respond to Kyle and Nelson? How does Jason deal with his father's reaction?
10. What happens when Jason and his father get into an altercation over the volume of his stereo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Gay-Straight Alliance? Why do Nelson and Kyle want to start a branch of the club in their school? What do they hope to do with this club? Why is the principal hesitant to allow the club at the high school? Is the principal biased against Nelson and Kyle, or are there other reasons for his actions? What does Nelson talk about at the school board meeting when he goes to argue for the club? How does this argument impact the decision of the school board? How do most of the kids at school react to the club? How might you react to such a club at your school?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and Kyle
2) Nelson and Jason
3) Jason and Corey
Essay Topic 3
Who is Nelson? What is unique about the way Nelson dresses and behaves? Why does Nelson's personality cause him trouble in school? What does the school do about this? How does Nelson feel about this treatment? What is the attitude of Nelson's mother toward his sexuality? How is this different from the other characters in the book? Does the acceptance Nelson finds at home and among his friends cause him to deal with his sexuality differently than the other characters in the novel? Explain.
This section contains 1,414 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)