|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves a note in Jason's locker in Chapter 13?
2. Why does Jason stop Kyle from sitting at the athletes table in the cafeteria in Chapter 16?
3. Why does Jason turn up the sound on his stereo in Chapter 13, causing his father to become angry?
4. What beverage does Nelson drink while alone with an older man in Chapter 12?
5. How does Jason make Jack Ransom leave Nelson and Kyle alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
2. How does Jason respond to the kiss he has shared with Kyle?
3. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
4. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
5. Where does Nelson meet Brick? What happens when Nelson meets Brick at a local coffee bar?
6. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
7. Who does Nelson tell Shea he has been contacting over the Internet? For what reason does Shea suggest Nelson has been contacting this person?
8. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
9. What happens to Nelson that makes Jason feel the need to interfere? What does Jason do?
10. What does Kyle say when he kisses Jason? How does Jason respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jason? Why does he attend the Rainbow Youth meeting in the first chapter of the book? What does Jason think he will get out of the meeting? Does Jason think he is gay? Why does Jason keep insisting to himself that he might be bisexual, but not gay? What is the difference? Why is this difference important to Jason? How does Jason react when he sees two boys from school at the meeting? Why is Jason unhappy for these boys to see him? What does Jason think will happen if these boys tell anyone what they saw?
Essay Topic 2
How does Nelson feel about his father? How involved in his life is Nelson's father? Why does Nelson not appreciate the Christmas gift his father sends to him? Why does Nelson get angry with his father when they speak on the phone? Why does Nelson's father fail to show up to take him to dinner? How does his relationship with his father impact Nelson's emotional state? How does it impact Nelson's deep desire to be loved? How does Nelson's father show that he is not as supportive of Nelson's sexuality as Nelson's mother?
Essay Topic 3
What makes Jason think that his father will not be supportive of his sexuality? How does Jason know how his father will react? Where does this behavior more than likely come from? How does Jason's mother treat him? Is she accepting of his sexuality? Why does Jason's mother join Al-Anon? What is Al-Anon designed to do for people? What does this say about Jason's home life? What does Jason hope will allow him to escape the situation at home? What threatens this escape plan?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)