|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Jason walk around the block before finally entering the Rainbow Youth meeting?
2. What does Kyle reveal to his father that he has always disliked in Chapter 11?
3. Who offers Kyle some congratulations for telling his parents about his sexuality?
4. Where does Jason hear about Rainbow Youth?
5. What is different about Kyle's appearance in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it like when Jason is alone with Kyle for a study session? What do they talk about?
2. How does Nelson respond to the news that Kyle is tutoring Jason in math?
3. How does Jason respond after the homecoming dance when Debra tries to seduce him? What does he tell her?
4. Why does Nelson push the issue of he and Kyle sharing a kiss just for the experience of it. What does Kyle do when Nelson forces a kiss on him?
5. Why do Nelson and Kyle want to begin a Gay-Straight Alliance at their high school? Who opposes the idea?
6. Why is Nelson bothered by Kyle's crush on Jason?
7. Why does Jack Ransom corner Nelson and Kyle in the parking lot of the school? What is his intention?
8. Why does Jason's teacher warn him that he needs to change his studying methods? Who does Jason turn to for help?
9. Why does Jason speak to Kyle at school? Why does Corey warn him that being seen with Kyle at school could be dangerous?
10. Who is Shea? How does Nelson know her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Jason so afraid for people to learn about his friendship with Kyle? Why is Jason afraid of people learning he is gay? Why does Jason hesitate to do things, such as rescue Kyle and Nelson from bullies or attend the GSA meeting? What often changes Jason's mind? How does Jason come to tell his father the truth about his sexuality? How does Jason's father react? Why does Jason believe it is his fault that his father left the family? Is his father leaving such a bad thing for Jason and his family? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the following relationships in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and his mother - Kyle and his mother
2) Nelson and Kyle - Jason and Kyle
3) Nelson and Shea - Nelson and Kyle
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support any conclusions:
1) Point of View
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)