|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the principal ask Nelson to do about his behavior?
2. How does Debra appear to feel about the group Nelson wants to start at the high school?
3. What does Kyle tell Nelson about Jason in Chapter 6?
4. What is the point of view of the novel?
5. What is the subject of the Rainbow Youth meeting the day Jason attends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Shea? How does Nelson know her?
2. Why does Nelson suggest to Kyle that they experiment sexually with one another? How does Kyle react?
3. Who compliments Nelson on his hair during the following school day?
4. How does Kyle's mother ask about the magazine and learn about Kyle's sexuality?
5. What is a Gay-Straight Alliance? What is its purpose?
6. How do Nelson and Kyle become friends?
7. How does Jason react when he sees Nelson in the Rainbow Youth meeting? Why?
8. How does Jason feel about his girlfriend, Debra? How do these feelings complicate Jason's impression that he might be gay?
9. Why do Nelson and Kyle want to begin a Gay-Straight Alliance at their high school? Who opposes the idea?
10. Who does Jason find himself thinking about while making out with Debra? How does this make him feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Gay-Straight Alliance? Why do Nelson and Kyle want to start a branch of the club in their school? What do they hope to do with this club? Why is the principal hesitant to allow the club at the high school? Is the principal biased against Nelson and Kyle, or are there other reasons for his actions? What does Nelson talk about at the school board meeting when he goes to argue for the club? How does this argument impact the decision of the school board? How do most of the kids at school react to the club? How might you react to such a club at your school?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Debra? How can Jason have a girlfriend if he thinks he is gay? Is it possible for Jason to love Debra even though he is gay or bisexual? Why does Jason feel it is important to point out to the reader that he and Debra have been intimate? What does this suggest about Jason's sexuality? How does this relationship add to Jason's confusion over his sexuality? Why does Jason think of Kyle while with Debra? How does he justify this thought to himself? Why does he feel the need to justify these thoughts to himself?
Essay Topic 3
What makes Jason think that his father will not be supportive of his sexuality? How does Jason know how his father will react? Where does this behavior more than likely come from? How does Jason's mother treat him? Is she accepting of his sexuality? Why does Jason's mother join Al-Anon? What is Al-Anon designed to do for people? What does this say about Jason's home life? What does Jason hope will allow him to escape the situation at home? What threatens this escape plan?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)