Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wakes Kyle the next morning, in Chapter 8?
2. To what does Kyle compare kissing Nelson?
3. Why does Jason feel he cannot talk about his confusion about his sexuality with his father?
4. How many times does Jason walk around the block before finally entering the Rainbow Youth meeting?
5. What color does Nelson dye his hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack Ransom corner Nelson and Kyle in the parking lot of the school? What is his intention?
2. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
3. Why does Jason feel that his father's leaving is his fault? How does Jason's father compare to Kyle and Nelson's fathers in this novel?
4. Why has Kyle not told his parents that he is gay?
5. Who approaches Jason in the final chapter of the book? For what reason?
6. What does Nelson's father say to Nelson on the phone? What does this conversation suggest about Nelson's relationship with his father?
7. How does Jason's father respond to Kyle and Nelson? How does Jason deal with his father's reaction?
8. What conversation do Jason's friends have at homecoming that makes Jason uncomfortable?
9. How does Kyle react to seeing Jason at the Rainbow Youth meeting? How does Jason react to seeing Kyle?
10. What is one of the names that Jason's father often calls him? How does this impact Jason?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Kyle? How does Kyle feel about his own sexuality? Why is Kyle worried about people at school learning the truth about his sexuality? What does Kyle think will happen if people learn the truth? Why has Kyle not told his parents about his sexuality? How does Kyle think his parents will react to the news of his sexuality? Why does Kyle think this? What is Kyle's relationship like with his mother? With his father?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Kyle participate on the swimming team at school? How does Kyle feel pressured to be an athlete? How does this impact Kyle's relationship with his father? Why do some men equate athletic ability to manliness? Is Kyle less of a man because he does not like sports? How does Kyle's situation with his father compare to Jason's relationship with his father? Does Kyle's father approve of Jason only because Jason is an athlete? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the Gay-Straight Alliance? Why do Nelson and Kyle want to start a branch of the club in their school? What do they hope to do with this club? Why is the principal hesitant to allow the club at the high school? Is the principal biased against Nelson and Kyle, or are there other reasons for his actions? What does Nelson talk about at the school board meeting when he goes to argue for the club? How does this argument impact the decision of the school board? How do most of the kids at school react to the club? How might you react to such a club at your school?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)