|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does Jason fear failing his math class?
2. How many times does Jason walk around the block before finally entering the Rainbow Youth meeting?
3. What does Kyle say is the cause of his sexuality?
4. What does Kyle's mother say he will never have because he is gay?
5. Why does Jason not want to talk about what happened between he and Kyle in the theater?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jason know that Nelson is gay? What does Jason think of Nelson?
2. What is one of the names that Jason's father often calls him? How does this impact Jason?
3. How does Nelson respond to the news that Kyle is tutoring Jason in math?
4. How does Jason respond after the homecoming dance when Debra tries to seduce him? What does he tell her?
5. How does Jason feel when his friends joke about Nelson and other homosexuals at their school? What does he do?
6. Why do Nelson and Kyle want to begin a Gay-Straight Alliance at their high school? Who opposes the idea?
7. How do Nelson and Kyle become friends?
8. Why does Jack Ransom corner Nelson and Kyle in the parking lot of the school? What is his intention?
9. What conversation do Jason's friends have at homecoming that makes Jason uncomfortable?
10. What uncomfortable situation happens over Thanksgiving to Kyle and his parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jason? Why does he attend the Rainbow Youth meeting in the first chapter of the book? What does Jason think he will get out of the meeting? Does Jason think he is gay? Why does Jason keep insisting to himself that he might be bisexual, but not gay? What is the difference? Why is this difference important to Jason? How does Jason react when he sees two boys from school at the meeting? Why is Jason unhappy for these boys to see him? What does Jason think will happen if these boys tell anyone what they saw?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Nelson grow jealous of Kyle's affections for Jason? How does Nelson feel about Kyle? About Jason? How does Nelson express his feelings toward these boys? Who does Nelson most often turn to for support? Why? Why does Nelson on two separate occasions try to convince Kyle to kiss him? How does Kyle react? For what reason? Why is Nelson insecure, afraid that he will never find true love? Where does this insecurity come from? How might Nelson learn to deal with this insecurity a little better?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Kyle? How does Kyle feel about his own sexuality? Why is Kyle worried about people at school learning the truth about his sexuality? What does Kyle think will happen if people learn the truth? Why has Kyle not told his parents about his sexuality? How does Kyle think his parents will react to the news of his sexuality? Why does Kyle think this? What is Kyle's relationship like with his mother? With his father?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)