|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kyle blame for the way Jason abruptly leaves the Rainbow Youth meeting?
2. What magazine do Nelson and Kyle study in Chapter 6?
3. Why does Kyle wish Nelson would not hang around him at lunch the Monday after the Rainbow Youth meeting?
4. What is Nelson searching for as his mother rushes him to get to school in Chapter 6?
5. Why is Nelson unhappy with his appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What uncomfortable situation happens over Thanksgiving to Kyle and his parents?
2. Nelson and his mother both speak at the school board meeting to support the beginning of a Gay-Straight Alliance club at the high school. What does Nelson talk about and what impact does it have on the board and those who oppose the club?
3. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
4. Why is Jason hesitant to attend the Rainbow Youth meeting? Why has he come if he is so afraid?
5. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
6. Who does Jason find himself thinking about while making out with Debra? How does this make him feel?
7. Why does Jason speak to Kyle at school? Why does Corey warn him that being seen with Kyle at school could be dangerous?
8. Why is Nelson bothered by Kyle's crush on Jason?
9. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
10. How does Kyle's father react when Kyle announces he is gay?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jason? Why does he attend the Rainbow Youth meeting in the first chapter of the book? What does Jason think he will get out of the meeting? Does Jason think he is gay? Why does Jason keep insisting to himself that he might be bisexual, but not gay? What is the difference? Why is this difference important to Jason? How does Jason react when he sees two boys from school at the meeting? Why is Jason unhappy for these boys to see him? What does Jason think will happen if these boys tell anyone what they saw?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Kyle? How does Kyle feel about his own sexuality? Why is Kyle worried about people at school learning the truth about his sexuality? What does Kyle think will happen if people learn the truth? Why has Kyle not told his parents about his sexuality? How does Kyle think his parents will react to the news of his sexuality? Why does Kyle think this? What is Kyle's relationship like with his mother? With his father?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the following relationships in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and his mother - Kyle and his mother
2) Nelson and Kyle - Jason and Kyle
3) Nelson and Shea - Nelson and Kyle
This section contains 2,580 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)