|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname do the kids at school have for Nelson?
2. How many narrators are there in this novel?
3. What new hairstyle does Nelson get in Chapter 6?
4. What is the point of view of the novel?
5. What is the nature of the hotline Jason calls over the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kyle's mother ask about the magazine and learn about Kyle's sexuality?
2. How do Nelson and Kyle become friends?
3. How does Kyle's father react when Kyle announces he is gay?
4. How does Jason respond after the homecoming dance when Debra tries to seduce him? What does he tell her?
5. What magazine does Nelson give to Kyle? How does Kyle's mother happen to see it?
6. Who is Jack Ransom? Why does he dislike Nelson?
7. How does Jason feel when his friends joke about Nelson and other homosexuals at their school? What does he do?
8. What is one of the names that Jason's father often calls him? How does this impact Jason?
9. What happens when Jason invites Kyle to the movies? How does Jason feel about this?
10. Who does Jason find himself thinking about while making out with Debra? How does this make him feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Gay-Straight Alliance? Why do Nelson and Kyle want to start a branch of the club in their school? What do they hope to do with this club? Why is the principal hesitant to allow the club at the high school? Is the principal biased against Nelson and Kyle, or are there other reasons for his actions? What does Nelson talk about at the school board meeting when he goes to argue for the club? How does this argument impact the decision of the school board? How do most of the kids at school react to the club? How might you react to such a club at your school?
Essay Topic 2
How does Nelson feel about his father? How involved in his life is Nelson's father? Why does Nelson not appreciate the Christmas gift his father sends to him? Why does Nelson get angry with his father when they speak on the phone? Why does Nelson's father fail to show up to take him to dinner? How does his relationship with his father impact Nelson's emotional state? How does it impact Nelson's deep desire to be loved? How does Nelson's father show that he is not as supportive of Nelson's sexuality as Nelson's mother?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and Kyle
2) Nelson and Jason
3) Jason and Corey
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)