|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kyle suddenly realize about Nelson at the end of Chapter 11?
2. What are Jason's parents fighting about when Jason comes home in Chapter 10?
3. Why does Kyle wish Nelson would not hang around him at lunch the Monday after the Rainbow Youth meeting?
4. What kind of music does Kyle play for Jason during their tutoring session?
5. Who gives Jason the item he is wearing in Chapter 4 of which his father disapproves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nelson push the issue of he and Kyle sharing a kiss just for the experience of it. What does Kyle do when Nelson forces a kiss on him?
2. Why has Kyle not told his parents that he is gay?
3. Why does Nelson become annoyed with Kyle when all he wants to talk about is Jason?
4. How does Kyle's mother ask about the magazine and learn about Kyle's sexuality?
5. Who does Jason find himself thinking about while making out with Debra? How does this make him feel?
6. What is a Gay-Straight Alliance? What is its purpose?
7. How does Nelson reveal some of his self-doubts while alone with Kyle in Chapter 6?
8. Why does Jason's teacher warn him that he needs to change his studying methods? Who does Jason turn to for help?
9. What conversation do Jason's friends have at homecoming that makes Jason uncomfortable?
10. Why is Jason hesitant to attend the Rainbow Youth meeting? Why has he come if he is so afraid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the art teacher encourage Kyle to come out to his parents? How does Kyle feel about the possibility of telling his parents the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's mother finally realize her son is gay? How does she react to this information? How does Kyle tell his father the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's father react to the news? Why is Kyle convinced that his parents are not supportive of his choices? How do they change his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Nelson? What is unique about the way Nelson dresses and behaves? Why does Nelson's personality cause him trouble in school? What does the school do about this? How does Nelson feel about this treatment? What is the attitude of Nelson's mother toward his sexuality? How is this different from the other characters in the book? Does the acceptance Nelson finds at home and among his friends cause him to deal with his sexuality differently than the other characters in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Kyle participate on the swimming team at school? How does Kyle feel pressured to be an athlete? How does this impact Kyle's relationship with his father? Why do some men equate athletic ability to manliness? Is Kyle less of a man because he does not like sports? How does Kyle's situation with his father compare to Jason's relationship with his father? Does Kyle's father approve of Jason only because Jason is an athlete? Explain.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)