|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does Jason fear failing his math class?
2. Who is Fenner Farley?
3. What type of friends does Kyle's father wish Kyle had?
4. What is one of the nicknames students have for Ms. MacTrough?
5. What does Nelson give to Jason before he leaves the meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What uncomfortable situation happens over Thanksgiving to Kyle and his parents?
2. Why does Nelson suggest to Kyle that they experiment sexually with one another? How does Kyle react?
3. Who is Shea? How does Nelson know her?
4. How does Kyle happen to give Jason a ride home from school in Chapter 5? Why does Jason become annoyed with Kyle?
5. Why does Jason speak to Kyle at school? Why does Corey warn him that being seen with Kyle at school could be dangerous?
6. Why does Nelson take a picture of Kyle with his Polaroid camera? How does Nelson feel about Kyle?
7. What causes an argument between Kyle and his father after a football game? How does Kyle react to his father's apology? What do the actions of Kyle's father suggest about their relationship?
8. How does Nelson reveal some of his self-doubts while alone with Kyle in Chapter 6?
9. How does Kyle react to seeing Jason at the Rainbow Youth meeting? How does Jason react to seeing Kyle?
10. What sport does Jason play? Why does Jason think that playing this sport and having a steady girlfriend makes it impossible for him to be gay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Kyle? How does Kyle feel about his own sexuality? Why is Kyle worried about people at school learning the truth about his sexuality? What does Kyle think will happen if people learn the truth? Why has Kyle not told his parents about his sexuality? How does Kyle think his parents will react to the news of his sexuality? Why does Kyle think this? What is Kyle's relationship like with his mother? With his father?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Kyle participate on the swimming team at school? How does Kyle feel pressured to be an athlete? How does this impact Kyle's relationship with his father? Why do some men equate athletic ability to manliness? Is Kyle less of a man because he does not like sports? How does Kyle's situation with his father compare to Jason's relationship with his father? Does Kyle's father approve of Jason only because Jason is an athlete? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the art teacher encourage Kyle to come out to his parents? How does Kyle feel about the possibility of telling his parents the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's mother finally realize her son is gay? How does she react to this information? How does Kyle tell his father the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's father react to the news? Why is Kyle convinced that his parents are not supportive of his choices? How do they change his mind?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)