|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ms. MacTrough?
2. Why is Jason afraid that Kyle will go through with the tutoring session?
3. Why does Jason not want to end his relationship with Debra despite his feelings he might be gay?
4. Who offers Kyle some congratulations for telling his parents about his sexuality?
5. Who wakes Kyle the next morning, in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nelson reveal some of his self-doubts while alone with Kyle in Chapter 6?
2. Why does Nelson take a picture of Kyle with his Polaroid camera? How does Nelson feel about Kyle?
3. Why does Jack Ransom corner Nelson and Kyle in the parking lot of the school? What is his intention?
4. How does Jason feel about his girlfriend, Debra? How do these feelings complicate Jason's impression that he might be gay?
5. Why does Nelson push the issue of he and Kyle sharing a kiss just for the experience of it. What does Kyle do when Nelson forces a kiss on him?
6. How does Jason feel when his friends joke about Nelson and other homosexuals at their school? What does he do?
7. Why do Nelson and Kyle want to begin a Gay-Straight Alliance at their high school? Who opposes the idea?
8. What is it like when Jason is alone with Kyle for a study session? What do they talk about?
9. Why is Nelson bothered by Kyle's crush on Jason?
10. How does Kyle's father react when Kyle announces he is gay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the art teacher encourage Kyle to come out to his parents? How does Kyle feel about the possibility of telling his parents the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's mother finally realize her son is gay? How does she react to this information? How does Kyle tell his father the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's father react to the news? Why is Kyle convinced that his parents are not supportive of his choices? How do they change his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the following relationships in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and his mother - Kyle and his mother
2) Nelson and Kyle - Jason and Kyle
3) Nelson and Shea - Nelson and Kyle
Essay Topic 3
Who is Nelson? What is unique about the way Nelson dresses and behaves? Why does Nelson's personality cause him trouble in school? What does the school do about this? How does Nelson feel about this treatment? What is the attitude of Nelson's mother toward his sexuality? How is this different from the other characters in the book? Does the acceptance Nelson finds at home and among his friends cause him to deal with his sexuality differently than the other characters in the novel? Explain.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)