|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many narrators are there in this novel?
2. What upcoming social event do Nelson and Kyle talk about in Chapter 6?
3. Who is Debra?
4. What kind of music does Kyle play for Jason during their tutoring session?
5. What does Nelson think Jason is most frightened of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jason approach Kyle at school the following Monday?
2. How does Jason feel about his girlfriend, Debra? How do these feelings complicate Jason's impression that he might be gay?
3. Who is Shea? How does Nelson know her?
4. What is a Gay-Straight Alliance? What is its purpose?
5. How does Nelson reveal some of his self-doubts while alone with Kyle in Chapter 6?
6. How does Jason know that Nelson is gay? What does Jason think of Nelson?
7. Why does Jason's teacher warn him that he needs to change his studying methods? Who does Jason turn to for help?
8. Why does Nelson take a picture of Kyle with his Polaroid camera? How does Nelson feel about Kyle?
9. Why has Kyle not told his parents that he is gay?
10. Who does Jason find himself thinking about while making out with Debra? How does this make him feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jason? Why does he attend the Rainbow Youth meeting in the first chapter of the book? What does Jason think he will get out of the meeting? Does Jason think he is gay? Why does Jason keep insisting to himself that he might be bisexual, but not gay? What is the difference? Why is this difference important to Jason? How does Jason react when he sees two boys from school at the meeting? Why is Jason unhappy for these boys to see him? What does Jason think will happen if these boys tell anyone what they saw?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the art teacher encourage Kyle to come out to his parents? How does Kyle feel about the possibility of telling his parents the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's mother finally realize her son is gay? How does she react to this information? How does Kyle tell his father the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's father react to the news? Why is Kyle convinced that his parents are not supportive of his choices? How do they change his mind?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Nelson grow jealous of Kyle's affections for Jason? How does Nelson feel about Kyle? About Jason? How does Nelson express his feelings toward these boys? Who does Nelson most often turn to for support? Why? Why does Nelson on two separate occasions try to convince Kyle to kiss him? How does Kyle react? For what reason? Why is Nelson insecure, afraid that he will never find true love? Where does this insecurity come from? How might Nelson learn to deal with this insecurity a little better?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)