|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom do Jason and Debra attend the dance in Chapter 7?
2. What does Nelson give to Kyle at school in Chapter 2?
3. What is one of the nicknames students have for Ms. MacTrough?
4. What does Kyle suggest is the only cause of bullying Nelson suffers at the high school?
5. Why does Jason want to have intimate relations with his girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack Ransom corner Nelson and Kyle in the parking lot of the school? What is his intention?
2. Why do Nelson and Kyle want to begin a Gay-Straight Alliance at their high school? Who opposes the idea?
3. How do Nelson and Kyle become friends?
4. What is it like when Jason is alone with Kyle for a study session? What do they talk about?
5. Why does Nelson take a picture of Kyle with his Polaroid camera? How does Nelson feel about Kyle?
6. What magazine does Nelson give to Kyle? How does Kyle's mother happen to see it?
7. How does Nelson respond to the news that Kyle is tutoring Jason in math?
8. How does Kyle's father react when Kyle announces he is gay?
9. What sport does Jason play? Why does Jason think that playing this sport and having a steady girlfriend makes it impossible for him to be gay?
10. How does Kyle's mother ask about the magazine and learn about Kyle's sexuality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Jason think that his father will not be supportive of his sexuality? How does Jason know how his father will react? Where does this behavior more than likely come from? How does Jason's mother treat him? Is she accepting of his sexuality? Why does Jason's mother join Al-Anon? What is Al-Anon designed to do for people? What does this say about Jason's home life? What does Jason hope will allow him to escape the situation at home? What threatens this escape plan?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Gay-Straight Alliance? Why do Nelson and Kyle want to start a branch of the club in their school? What do they hope to do with this club? Why is the principal hesitant to allow the club at the high school? Is the principal biased against Nelson and Kyle, or are there other reasons for his actions? What does Nelson talk about at the school board meeting when he goes to argue for the club? How does this argument impact the decision of the school board? How do most of the kids at school react to the club? How might you react to such a club at your school?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jason? Why does he attend the Rainbow Youth meeting in the first chapter of the book? What does Jason think he will get out of the meeting? Does Jason think he is gay? Why does Jason keep insisting to himself that he might be bisexual, but not gay? What is the difference? Why is this difference important to Jason? How does Jason react when he sees two boys from school at the meeting? Why is Jason unhappy for these boys to see him? What does Jason think will happen if these boys tell anyone what they saw?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)