|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts Kyle's conversation at school with Jason the Monday after the Rainbow Youth meeting?
2. What overwhelming emotion does Kyle's mother admit to feeling in the aftermath of learning about his sexuality?
3. Who wakes Kyle the next morning, in Chapter 8?
4. What does Nelson give to Jason before he leaves the meeting?
5. Who offers Kyle some congratulations for telling his parents about his sexuality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Kyle not told his parents that he is gay?
2. How does Nelson respond to the news that Kyle is tutoring Jason in math?
3. What is a Gay-Straight Alliance? What is its purpose?
4. How does Nelson reveal some of his self-doubts while alone with Kyle in Chapter 6?
5. What magazine does Nelson give to Kyle? How does Kyle's mother happen to see it?
6. Why does Nelson push the issue of he and Kyle sharing a kiss just for the experience of it. What does Kyle do when Nelson forces a kiss on him?
7. Who is Shea? How does Nelson know her?
8. Why does Nelson take a picture of Kyle with his Polaroid camera? How does Nelson feel about Kyle?
9. Why is Kyle worried about the questions his mother will ask about the magazine she saw in his bedroom? What does Kyle believe his parents' reaction to his sexuality will be?
10. Why does Nelson become annoyed with Kyle when all he wants to talk about is Jason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Jason think that his father will not be supportive of his sexuality? How does Jason know how his father will react? Where does this behavior more than likely come from? How does Jason's mother treat him? Is she accepting of his sexuality? Why does Jason's mother join Al-Anon? What is Al-Anon designed to do for people? What does this say about Jason's home life? What does Jason hope will allow him to escape the situation at home? What threatens this escape plan?
Essay Topic 2
How does Nelson feel about his father? How involved in his life is Nelson's father? Why does Nelson not appreciate the Christmas gift his father sends to him? Why does Nelson get angry with his father when they speak on the phone? Why does Nelson's father fail to show up to take him to dinner? How does his relationship with his father impact Nelson's emotional state? How does it impact Nelson's deep desire to be loved? How does Nelson's father show that he is not as supportive of Nelson's sexuality as Nelson's mother?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
3) Parental relationships
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)