|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the nicknames students have for Ms. MacTrough?
2. What if PFLAG?
3. What does Kyle knock over while trying to help Jason that draws attention to them?
4. With whom does Nelson's mother suggest Nelson is in love in Chapter 6?
5. What does Jason find in his mother's purse in Chapter 4 while looking for money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the names that Jason's father often calls him? How does this impact Jason?
2. What happens when Jason invites Kyle to the movies? How does Jason feel about this?
3. Why does Nelson take a picture of Kyle with his Polaroid camera? How does Nelson feel about Kyle?
4. How does Jason know that Nelson is gay? What does Jason think of Nelson?
5. Why is Nelson bothered by Kyle's crush on Jason?
6. Why does Jason speak to Kyle at school? Why does Corey warn him that being seen with Kyle at school could be dangerous?
7. How does Jason feel about his girlfriend, Debra? How do these feelings complicate Jason's impression that he might be gay?
8. What is a Gay-Straight Alliance? What is its purpose?
9. What magazine does Nelson give to Kyle? How does Kyle's mother happen to see it?
10. How does Jason react when he sees Nelson in the Rainbow Youth meeting? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Nelson feel about his father? How involved in his life is Nelson's father? Why does Nelson not appreciate the Christmas gift his father sends to him? Why does Nelson get angry with his father when they speak on the phone? Why does Nelson's father fail to show up to take him to dinner? How does his relationship with his father impact Nelson's emotional state? How does it impact Nelson's deep desire to be loved? How does Nelson's father show that he is not as supportive of Nelson's sexuality as Nelson's mother?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Debra? How can Jason have a girlfriend if he thinks he is gay? Is it possible for Jason to love Debra even though he is gay or bisexual? Why does Jason feel it is important to point out to the reader that he and Debra have been intimate? What does this suggest about Jason's sexuality? How does this relationship add to Jason's confusion over his sexuality? Why does Jason think of Kyle while with Debra? How does he justify this thought to himself? Why does he feel the need to justify these thoughts to himself?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and Kyle
2) Nelson and Jason
3) Jason and Corey
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)