|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kyle go for some privacy in Chapter 8?
2. Where do Kyle and Jason study?
3. What does Kyle suggest is the only cause of bullying Nelson suffers at the high school?
4. Why does Nelson go to Shea's at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. Who is Ms. MacTrough?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Kyle not told his parents that he is gay?
2. Why does Nelson become annoyed with Kyle when all he wants to talk about is Jason?
3. Why does Jack Ransom corner Nelson and Kyle in the parking lot of the school? What is his intention?
4. What happens when Jason invites Kyle to the movies? How does Jason feel about this?
5. Who is Jack Ransom? Why does he dislike Nelson?
6. Why does Nelson push the issue of he and Kyle sharing a kiss just for the experience of it. What does Kyle do when Nelson forces a kiss on him?
7. How does Kyle happen to give Jason a ride home from school in Chapter 5? Why does Jason become annoyed with Kyle?
8. How does Nelson reveal some of his self-doubts while alone with Kyle in Chapter 6?
9. Why does Nelson take a picture of Kyle with his Polaroid camera? How does Nelson feel about Kyle?
10. How does Jason feel when his friends joke about Nelson and other homosexuals at their school? What does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the art teacher encourage Kyle to come out to his parents? How does Kyle feel about the possibility of telling his parents the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's mother finally realize her son is gay? How does she react to this information? How does Kyle tell his father the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's father react to the news? Why is Kyle convinced that his parents are not supportive of his choices? How do they change his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Jason so afraid for people to learn about his friendship with Kyle? Why is Jason afraid of people learning he is gay? Why does Jason hesitate to do things, such as rescue Kyle and Nelson from bullies or attend the GSA meeting? What often changes Jason's mind? How does Jason come to tell his father the truth about his sexuality? How does Jason's father react? Why does Jason believe it is his fault that his father left the family? Is his father leaving such a bad thing for Jason and his family? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What makes Jason think that his father will not be supportive of his sexuality? How does Jason know how his father will react? Where does this behavior more than likely come from? How does Jason's mother treat him? Is she accepting of his sexuality? Why does Jason's mother join Al-Anon? What is Al-Anon designed to do for people? What does this say about Jason's home life? What does Jason hope will allow him to escape the situation at home? What threatens this escape plan?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)