|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nelson unhappy with his appearance?
2. What does Debra talk about during the dance that makes Jason unhappy?
3. What item of clothing does Kyle constantly wear, no matter the circumstances or weather?
4. What question does Kyle fail to answer in the parking lot after school when he and Nelson are approached by a small group of people?
5. Why does Kyle choose to join the swim team?
Short Essay Questions
1. Nelson and his mother both speak at the school board meeting to support the beginning of a Gay-Straight Alliance club at the high school. What does Nelson talk about and what impact does it have on the board and those who oppose the club?
2. Who is Jack Ransom? Why does he dislike Nelson?
3. How does Jason respond to the kiss he has shared with Kyle?
4. How does Jason react when he sees Nelson in the Rainbow Youth meeting? Why?
5. Why does Jason's teacher warn him that he needs to change his studying methods? Who does Jason turn to for help?
6. Who is Shea? How does Nelson know her?
7. Why does Jason approach Kyle at school the following Monday?
8. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
9. What causes an argument between Kyle and his father after a football game? How does Kyle react to his father's apology? What do the actions of Kyle's father suggest about their relationship?
10. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
Essay Topic 1
Why is Nelson in a hurry to have his first sexual experience? With whom would he have preferred to have it? With whom does Nelson have his first experience? How does Nelson feel about this encounter? For what reason? How does Kyle react to what Nelson has done? Why is Nelson's behavior so dangerous? Would Nelson have behaved in a similar fashion if he were straight? Explain. Why is Kyle reluctant to have a sexual encounter with Nelson? How does Nelson feel about that? Does Kyle's reluctance add to Nelson's emotional state and reckless behaviors?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the following relationships in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and his mother - Kyle and his mother
2) Nelson and Kyle - Jason and Kyle
3) Nelson and Shea - Nelson and Kyle
Essay Topic 3
Why is Jason so afraid for people to learn about his friendship with Kyle? Why is Jason afraid of people learning he is gay? Why does Jason hesitate to do things, such as rescue Kyle and Nelson from bullies or attend the GSA meeting? What often changes Jason's mind? How does Jason come to tell his father the truth about his sexuality? How does Jason's father react? Why does Jason believe it is his fault that his father left the family? Is his father leaving such a bad thing for Jason and his family? Explain.
This section contains 2,564 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)