|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jason not want to end his relationship with Debra despite his feelings he might be gay?
2. What special treat does Kyle do for his parents after school in Chapter 8?
3. What does Nelson think Jason is most frightened of?
4. What overwhelming emotion does Kyle's mother admit to feeling in the aftermath of learning about his sexuality?
5. What is the purpose of a new medication Nelson is taking in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kyle's mother ask about the magazine and learn about Kyle's sexuality?
2. How does Nelson respond to the news that Kyle is tutoring Jason in math?
3. How does Kyle's father react when Kyle announces he is gay?
4. Why does Nelson push the issue of he and Kyle sharing a kiss just for the experience of it. What does Kyle do when Nelson forces a kiss on him?
5. Who compliments Nelson on his hair during the following school day?
6. Why does Nelson take a picture of Kyle with his Polaroid camera? How does Nelson feel about Kyle?
7. Why does Jack Ransom corner Nelson and Kyle in the parking lot of the school? What is his intention?
8. What is a Gay-Straight Alliance? What is its purpose?
9. Why does Nelson become annoyed with Kyle when all he wants to talk about is Jason?
10. What causes an argument between Kyle and his father after a football game? How does Kyle react to his father's apology? What do the actions of Kyle's father suggest about their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Kyle participate on the swimming team at school? How does Kyle feel pressured to be an athlete? How does this impact Kyle's relationship with his father? Why do some men equate athletic ability to manliness? Is Kyle less of a man because he does not like sports? How does Kyle's situation with his father compare to Jason's relationship with his father? Does Kyle's father approve of Jason only because Jason is an athlete? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and Kyle
2) Nelson and Jason
3) Jason and Corey
Essay Topic 3
What makes Jason think that his father will not be supportive of his sexuality? How does Jason know how his father will react? Where does this behavior more than likely come from? How does Jason's mother treat him? Is she accepting of his sexuality? Why does Jason's mother join Al-Anon? What is Al-Anon designed to do for people? What does this say about Jason's home life? What does Jason hope will allow him to escape the situation at home? What threatens this escape plan?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)