|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color dress does Debra wear to the dance in Chapter 7?
2. What does Kyle suddenly realize about Nelson at the end of Chapter 11?
3. From what book did Nelson get the name for his dog, Atticus?
4. What did Jason think would happen if someone saw him holding hands with Kyle in the movie theater?
5. Why do the kids at school dislike Nelson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nelson become annoyed with Kyle when all he wants to talk about is Jason?
2. What conversation do Jason's friends have at homecoming that makes Jason uncomfortable?
3. How does Nelson respond to the news that Kyle is tutoring Jason in math?
4. What is one of the names that Jason's father often calls him? How does this impact Jason?
5. Why does Jason's teacher warn him that he needs to change his studying methods? Who does Jason turn to for help?
6. Why has Kyle not told his parents that he is gay?
7. How does Jason feel about his girlfriend, Debra? How do these feelings complicate Jason's impression that he might be gay?
8. Who compliments Nelson on his hair during the following school day?
9. Why does Jack Ransom corner Nelson and Kyle in the parking lot of the school? What is his intention?
10. What magazine does Nelson give to Kyle? How does Kyle's mother happen to see it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the art teacher encourage Kyle to come out to his parents? How does Kyle feel about the possibility of telling his parents the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's mother finally realize her son is gay? How does she react to this information? How does Kyle tell his father the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's father react to the news? Why is Kyle convinced that his parents are not supportive of his choices? How do they change his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Debra? How can Jason have a girlfriend if he thinks he is gay? Is it possible for Jason to love Debra even though he is gay or bisexual? Why does Jason feel it is important to point out to the reader that he and Debra have been intimate? What does this suggest about Jason's sexuality? How does this relationship add to Jason's confusion over his sexuality? Why does Jason think of Kyle while with Debra? How does he justify this thought to himself? Why does he feel the need to justify these thoughts to himself?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jason? Why does he attend the Rainbow Youth meeting in the first chapter of the book? What does Jason think he will get out of the meeting? Does Jason think he is gay? Why does Jason keep insisting to himself that he might be bisexual, but not gay? What is the difference? Why is this difference important to Jason? How does Jason react when he sees two boys from school at the meeting? Why is Jason unhappy for these boys to see him? What does Jason think will happen if these boys tell anyone what they saw?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)