|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack Ransom do to Nelson to be sentenced to court probation?
2. From what book did Nelson get the name for his dog, Atticus?
3. What does Kyle suggest is the only cause of bullying Nelson suffers at the high school?
4. What does Kyle's mother say he will never have because he is gay?
5. What is a brownstone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nelson suggest to Kyle that they experiment sexually with one another? How does Kyle react?
2. Who does Jason find himself thinking about while making out with Debra? How does this make him feel?
3. Why does Nelson become annoyed with Kyle when all he wants to talk about is Jason?
4. How does Jason feel when his friends joke about Nelson and other homosexuals at their school? What does he do?
5. How does Jason react when he sees Nelson in the Rainbow Youth meeting? Why?
6. What happens when Jason invites Kyle to the movies? How does Jason feel about this?
7. How does Jason know that Nelson is gay? What does Jason think of Nelson?
8. Why does Jason approach Kyle at school the following Monday?
9. Why has Kyle not told his parents that he is gay?
10. How does Nelson respond to the news that Kyle is tutoring Jason in math?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Gay-Straight Alliance? Why do Nelson and Kyle want to start a branch of the club in their school? What do they hope to do with this club? Why is the principal hesitant to allow the club at the high school? Is the principal biased against Nelson and Kyle, or are there other reasons for his actions? What does Nelson talk about at the school board meeting when he goes to argue for the club? How does this argument impact the decision of the school board? How do most of the kids at school react to the club? How might you react to such a club at your school?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Kyle? How does Kyle feel about his own sexuality? Why is Kyle worried about people at school learning the truth about his sexuality? What does Kyle think will happen if people learn the truth? Why has Kyle not told his parents about his sexuality? How does Kyle think his parents will react to the news of his sexuality? Why does Kyle think this? What is Kyle's relationship like with his mother? With his father?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Debra? How can Jason have a girlfriend if he thinks he is gay? Is it possible for Jason to love Debra even though he is gay or bisexual? Why does Jason feel it is important to point out to the reader that he and Debra have been intimate? What does this suggest about Jason's sexuality? How does this relationship add to Jason's confusion over his sexuality? Why does Jason think of Kyle while with Debra? How does he justify this thought to himself? Why does he feel the need to justify these thoughts to himself?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)