|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the nicknames students have for Ms. MacTrough?
2. Who does Kyle's father blame for Kyle's idea that he is gay?
3. What does Kyle suggest is the only cause of bullying Nelson suffers at the high school?
4. What does Nelson give to Jason before he leaves the meeting?
5. From what book did Nelson get the name for his dog, Atticus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
2. How does Jason respond to the kiss he has shared with Kyle?
3. What uncomfortable situation happens over Thanksgiving to Kyle and his parents?
4. Who approaches Jason in the final chapter of the book? For what reason?
5. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
6. How does Nelson reveal some of his self-doubts while alone with Kyle in Chapter 6?
7. What is it like when Jason is alone with Kyle for a study session? What do they talk about?
8. Why does Jason approach Kyle at school the following Monday?
9. What happens to Nelson that makes Jason feel the need to interfere? What does Jason do?
10. How does Jason respond after the homecoming dance when Debra tries to seduce him? What does he tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is HIV? How is it spread? Why does Nelson have an unprotected encounter with an older man? Why does he panic when he realizes it was unprotected? What danger does this encounter pose for Nelson? How does Nelson feel about people who test positive for HIV? How does Nelson react when he learns that Jeremy is HIV positive? Does this change Nelson's opinion of those with HIV? Is HIV a reality of being gay? How do most people deal with it? How does Nelson choose to deal with it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
3) Parental relationships
Essay Topic 3
Why is Nelson in a hurry to have his first sexual experience? With whom would he have preferred to have it? With whom does Nelson have his first experience? How does Nelson feel about this encounter? For what reason? How does Kyle react to what Nelson has done? Why is Nelson's behavior so dangerous? Would Nelson have behaved in a similar fashion if he were straight? Explain. Why is Kyle reluctant to have a sexual encounter with Nelson? How does Nelson feel about that? Does Kyle's reluctance add to Nelson's emotional state and reckless behaviors?
This section contains 2,442 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)