|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kyle suggest is the only cause of bullying Nelson suffers at the high school?
2. What is Jason's mother reading in Chapter 10?
3. Why does Nelson get angry with Kyle in Chapter 3?
4. Why do Nelson and Kyle go to see Ms. MacTrough in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Jason feel he cannot talk about his confusion about his sexuality with his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What uncomfortable situation happens over Thanksgiving to Kyle and his parents?
2. How does Kyle happen to give Jason a ride home from school in Chapter 5? Why does Jason become annoyed with Kyle?
3. How does Jason feel about his girlfriend, Debra? How do these feelings complicate Jason's impression that he might be gay?
4. Why is Nelson bothered by Kyle's crush on Jason?
5. Why do Nelson and Kyle want to begin a Gay-Straight Alliance at their high school? Who opposes the idea?
6. How does Jason respond after the homecoming dance when Debra tries to seduce him? What does he tell her?
7. How do Nelson and Kyle become friends?
8. How does Nelson reveal some of his self-doubts while alone with Kyle in Chapter 6?
9. Why does Jason's teacher warn him that he needs to change his studying methods? Who does Jason turn to for help?
10. Who is Shea? How does Nelson know her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the following relationships in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and his mother - Kyle and his mother
2) Nelson and Kyle - Jason and Kyle
3) Nelson and Shea - Nelson and Kyle
Essay Topic 2
How does Kyle feel about Jason's attempts to hide their relationship? Does Kyle understand Jason's motives? How does Nelson feel about the way Jason treats Kyle? Why does Nelson seem to support Jason's actions when he tries to keep Kyle from sitting at the athlete's table at lunch? Is Jason's treatment of Kyle fair? What might happen to Jason and Kyle if the other students at school learn the truth of their relationship? Is this a risk that the boys should be willing to take? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Nelson? What is unique about the way Nelson dresses and behaves? Why does Nelson's personality cause him trouble in school? What does the school do about this? How does Nelson feel about this treatment? What is the attitude of Nelson's mother toward his sexuality? How is this different from the other characters in the book? Does the acceptance Nelson finds at home and among his friends cause him to deal with his sexuality differently than the other characters in the novel? Explain.
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)