|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wakes Kyle the next morning, in Chapter 8?
2. To what does Kyle compare kissing Nelson?
3. Why does Jason feel he cannot talk about his confusion about his sexuality with his father?
4. How many times does Jason walk around the block before finally entering the Rainbow Youth meeting?
5. What color does Nelson dye his hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack Ransom corner Nelson and Kyle in the parking lot of the school? What is his intention?
2. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
3. Why does Jason feel that his father's leaving is his fault? How does Jason's father compare to Kyle and Nelson's fathers in this novel?
4. Why has Kyle not told his parents that he is gay?
5. Who approaches Jason in the final chapter of the book? For what reason?
6. What does Nelson's father say to Nelson on the phone? What does this conversation suggest about Nelson's relationship with his father?
7. How does Jason's father respond to Kyle and Nelson? How does Jason deal with his father's reaction?
8. What conversation do Jason's friends have at homecoming that makes Jason uncomfortable?
9. How does Kyle react to seeing Jason at the Rainbow Youth meeting? How does Jason react to seeing Kyle?
10. What is one of the names that Jason's father often calls him? How does this impact Jason?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
3) Parental relationships
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support any conclusions:
1) Point of View
Essay Topic 3
What is HIV? How is it spread? Why does Nelson have an unprotected encounter with an older man? Why does he panic when he realizes it was unprotected? What danger does this encounter pose for Nelson? How does Nelson feel about people who test positive for HIV? How does Nelson react when he learns that Jeremy is HIV positive? Does this change Nelson's opinion of those with HIV? Is HIV a reality of being gay? How do most people deal with it? How does Nelson choose to deal with it?
This section contains 2,543 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)