|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jason not want to talk about what happened between he and Kyle in the theater?
2. What is the purpose of a new medication Nelson is taking in Chapter 9?
3. What does Kyle's mother find on the floor of Kyle's room in Chapter 8?
4. What does Kyle tell Nelson about Jason in Chapter 6?
5. When doers Kyle first realize he is different from other boys his age?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nelson respond to the news that Kyle is tutoring Jason in math?
2. How does Kyle react to seeing Jason at the Rainbow Youth meeting? How does Jason react to seeing Kyle?
3. What happens when Jason invites Kyle to the movies? How does Jason feel about this?
4. How does Jason respond after the homecoming dance when Debra tries to seduce him? What does he tell her?
5. How does Jason feel about his girlfriend, Debra? How do these feelings complicate Jason's impression that he might be gay?
6. How do Nelson and Kyle become friends?
7. Why does Nelson become annoyed with Kyle when all he wants to talk about is Jason?
8. How does Nelson reveal some of his self-doubts while alone with Kyle in Chapter 6?
9. Why do Nelson and Kyle want to begin a Gay-Straight Alliance at their high school? Who opposes the idea?
10. How does Kyle happen to give Jason a ride home from school in Chapter 5? Why does Jason become annoyed with Kyle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the following relationships in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and his mother - Kyle and his mother
2) Nelson and Kyle - Jason and Kyle
3) Nelson and Shea - Nelson and Kyle
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
3) Parental relationships
Essay Topic 3
Who is Shea? What is her relationship with Nelson? How often does Nelson go to Shea with his troubles? What does Shea know about Nelson that no one else knows? Why does Nelson begin avoiding Shea's calls? How does Shea feel about this? Why does Shea end her relationship with Nelson? How does Shea respond when Nelson seeks her out and tries to make amends? Why does she behave in this way? Is she right? What might Nelson have done differently to avoid this situation?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)