|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drawing does Jason's sister show to him in Chapter 4?
2. What overwhelming emotion does Kyle's mother admit to feeling in the aftermath of learning about his sexuality?
3. What does Nelson think Kyle should do at school in Chapter 8?
4. What bothers Jason about his intimate relationship with Debra, as he expresses in Chapter 4?
5. Why does Nelson go to Shea's at the beginning of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Nelson and Kyle become friends?
2. What is one of the names that Jason's father often calls him? How does this impact Jason?
3. What causes an argument between Kyle and his father after a football game? How does Kyle react to his father's apology? What do the actions of Kyle's father suggest about their relationship?
4. What is it like when Jason is alone with Kyle for a study session? What do they talk about?
5. How does Kyle happen to give Jason a ride home from school in Chapter 5? Why does Jason become annoyed with Kyle?
6. Who compliments Nelson on his hair during the following school day?
7. Why is Jason hesitant to attend the Rainbow Youth meeting? Why has he come if he is so afraid?
8. What uncomfortable situation happens over Thanksgiving to Kyle and his parents?
9. Why is Kyle worried about the questions his mother will ask about the magazine she saw in his bedroom? What does Kyle believe his parents' reaction to his sexuality will be?
10. What magazine does Nelson give to Kyle? How does Kyle's mother happen to see it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support any conclusions:
1) Point of View
Essay Topic 2
Why is Jason so afraid for people to learn about his friendship with Kyle? Why is Jason afraid of people learning he is gay? Why does Jason hesitate to do things, such as rescue Kyle and Nelson from bullies or attend the GSA meeting? What often changes Jason's mind? How does Jason come to tell his father the truth about his sexuality? How does Jason's father react? Why does Jason believe it is his fault that his father left the family? Is his father leaving such a bad thing for Jason and his family? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Nelson grow jealous of Kyle's affections for Jason? How does Nelson feel about Kyle? About Jason? How does Nelson express his feelings toward these boys? Who does Nelson most often turn to for support? Why? Why does Nelson on two separate occasions try to convince Kyle to kiss him? How does Kyle react? For what reason? Why is Nelson insecure, afraid that he will never find true love? Where does this insecurity come from? How might Nelson learn to deal with this insecurity a little better?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)