|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kyle give Nelson in Chapter 3?
2. What does Kyle tell Nelson about Jason in Chapter 6?
3. What does Kyle say is the cause of his sexuality?
4. Who wakes Kyle the next morning, in Chapter 8?
5. What is one of the nicknames students have for Ms. MacTrough?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jason react when he sees Nelson in the Rainbow Youth meeting? Why?
2. What conversation do Jason's friends have at homecoming that makes Jason uncomfortable?
3. Who does Nelson tell Shea he has been contacting over the Internet? For what reason does Shea suggest Nelson has been contacting this person?
4. Why does Nelson become annoyed with Kyle when all he wants to talk about is Jason?
5. What does Kyle say when he kisses Jason? How does Jason respond?
6. How does Nelson respond to the news that Kyle is tutoring Jason in math?
7. How do Nelson and Kyle become friends?
8. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
9. Why do Nelson and Kyle want to begin a Gay-Straight Alliance at their high school? Who opposes the idea?
10. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
3) Parental relationships
Essay Topic 2
Who is Debra? How can Jason have a girlfriend if he thinks he is gay? Is it possible for Jason to love Debra even though he is gay or bisexual? Why does Jason feel it is important to point out to the reader that he and Debra have been intimate? What does this suggest about Jason's sexuality? How does this relationship add to Jason's confusion over his sexuality? Why does Jason think of Kyle while with Debra? How does he justify this thought to himself? Why does he feel the need to justify these thoughts to himself?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the art teacher encourage Kyle to come out to his parents? How does Kyle feel about the possibility of telling his parents the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's mother finally realize her son is gay? How does she react to this information? How does Kyle tell his father the truth of his sexuality? How does Kyle's father react to the news? Why is Kyle convinced that his parents are not supportive of his choices? How do they change his mind?
This section contains 2,432 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)