|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Kyle compare kissing Nelson?
2. From what book did Nelson get the name for his dog, Atticus?
3. Who wakes Kyle the next morning, in Chapter 8?
4. How many times does Jason walk around the block before finally entering the Rainbow Youth meeting?
5. From whom does Nelson crave attention as he states in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nelson reveal some of his self-doubts while alone with Kyle in Chapter 6?
2. What magazine does Nelson give to Kyle? How does Kyle's mother happen to see it?
3. How does Jason feel about his girlfriend, Debra? How do these feelings complicate Jason's impression that he might be gay?
4. What is one of the names that Jason's father often calls him? How does this impact Jason?
5. How do Nelson and Kyle become friends?
6. Why does Jason's teacher warn him that he needs to change his studying methods? Who does Jason turn to for help?
7. Why has Kyle not told his parents that he is gay?
8. Why is Kyle worried about the questions his mother will ask about the magazine she saw in his bedroom? What does Kyle believe his parents' reaction to his sexuality will be?
9. What conversation do Jason's friends have at homecoming that makes Jason uncomfortable?
10. How does Kyle react to seeing Jason at the Rainbow Youth meeting? How does Jason react to seeing Kyle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the following relationships in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and his mother - Kyle and his mother
2) Nelson and Kyle - Jason and Kyle
3) Nelson and Shea - Nelson and Kyle
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support any conclusions:
1) Point of View
Essay Topic 3
How does Kyle feel about Jason's attempts to hide their relationship? Does Kyle understand Jason's motives? How does Nelson feel about the way Jason treats Kyle? Why does Nelson seem to support Jason's actions when he tries to keep Kyle from sitting at the athlete's table at lunch? Is Jason's treatment of Kyle fair? What might happen to Jason and Kyle if the other students at school learn the truth of their relationship? Is this a risk that the boys should be willing to take? Explain.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)