|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Jason and Debra park after the dance in Chapter 7?
2. What does Kyle's mother find on the floor of Kyle's room in Chapter 8?
3. What role does Nelson's mother play in the local PFLAG organization?
4. To what does Kyle compare kissing Nelson?
5. How does Debra appear to feel about the group Nelson wants to start at the high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the names that Jason's father often calls him? How does this impact Jason?
2. How does Jason know that Nelson is gay? What does Jason think of Nelson?
3. Why do Nelson and Kyle want to begin a Gay-Straight Alliance at their high school? Who opposes the idea?
4. Why does Nelson suggest to Kyle that they experiment sexually with one another? How does Kyle react?
5. What causes an argument between Kyle and his father after a football game? How does Kyle react to his father's apology? What do the actions of Kyle's father suggest about their relationship?
6. Why is Kyle worried about the questions his mother will ask about the magazine she saw in his bedroom? What does Kyle believe his parents' reaction to his sexuality will be?
7. What is it like when Jason is alone with Kyle for a study session? What do they talk about?
8. How does Nelson respond to the news that Kyle is tutoring Jason in math?
9. Why does Nelson become annoyed with Kyle when all he wants to talk about is Jason?
10. What magazine does Nelson give to Kyle? How does Kyle's mother happen to see it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
3) Parental relationships
Essay Topic 2
Who is Nelson? What is unique about the way Nelson dresses and behaves? Why does Nelson's personality cause him trouble in school? What does the school do about this? How does Nelson feel about this treatment? What is the attitude of Nelson's mother toward his sexuality? How is this different from the other characters in the book? Does the acceptance Nelson finds at home and among his friends cause him to deal with his sexuality differently than the other characters in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support any conclusions:
1) Point of View
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)