|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does Jason fear failing his math class?
2. How does Debra appear to feel about the group Nelson wants to start at the high school?
3. Who does Corey say he heard was running for queen of the dance in Chapter 7?
4. To what is Fenner Farley opposed in Chapter 11?
5. What bothers Jason about his intimate relationship with Debra, as he expresses in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kyle react to seeing Jason at the Rainbow Youth meeting? How does Jason react to seeing Kyle?
2. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
3. How does Jason feel when his friends joke about Nelson and other homosexuals at their school? What does he do?
4. Why does Jason's teacher warn him that he needs to change his studying methods? Who does Jason turn to for help?
5. What magazine does Nelson give to Kyle? How does Kyle's mother happen to see it?
6. What is it like when Jason is alone with Kyle for a study session? What do they talk about?
7. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
8. How do Nelson and Kyle become friends?
9. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
10. Nelson and his mother both speak at the school board meeting to support the beginning of a Gay-Straight Alliance club at the high school. What does Nelson talk about and what impact does it have on the board and those who oppose the club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following relationships in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Jason and Debra
2) Jason and Kyle
3) Kyle and his father.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Nelson in a hurry to have his first sexual experience? With whom would he have preferred to have it? With whom does Nelson have his first experience? How does Nelson feel about this encounter? For what reason? How does Kyle react to what Nelson has done? Why is Nelson's behavior so dangerous? Would Nelson have behaved in a similar fashion if he were straight? Explain. Why is Kyle reluctant to have a sexual encounter with Nelson? How does Nelson feel about that? Does Kyle's reluctance add to Nelson's emotional state and reckless behaviors?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Gay-Straight Alliance? Why do Nelson and Kyle want to start a branch of the club in their school? What do they hope to do with this club? Why is the principal hesitant to allow the club at the high school? Is the principal biased against Nelson and Kyle, or are there other reasons for his actions? What does Nelson talk about at the school board meeting when he goes to argue for the club? How does this argument impact the decision of the school board? How do most of the kids at school react to the club? How might you react to such a club at your school?
This section contains 2,604 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)