|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname do the kids at school have for Nelson?
2. What is Jason's mother reading in Chapter 10?
3. Who is applying to colleges, as discussed in Chapter 6?
4. What does Nelson say is the purpose of the new club he and Kyle want to start at the high school?
5. Who is Fenner Farley?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jason react when he sees Nelson in the Rainbow Youth meeting? Why?
2. How do Nelson and Kyle become friends?
3. How does Jason feel when his friends joke about Nelson and other homosexuals at their school? What does he do?
4. Who does Jason find himself thinking about while making out with Debra? How does this make him feel?
5. Why does Jason's teacher warn him that he needs to change his studying methods? Who does Jason turn to for help?
6. Why do Nelson and Kyle want to begin a Gay-Straight Alliance at their high school? Who opposes the idea?
7. How does Jason respond after the homecoming dance when Debra tries to seduce him? What does he tell her?
8. Why does Jack Ransom corner Nelson and Kyle in the parking lot of the school? What is his intention?
9. Who is Shea? How does Nelson know her?
10. Why does Nelson push the issue of he and Kyle sharing a kiss just for the experience of it. What does Kyle do when Nelson forces a kiss on him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Nelson and Kyle
2) Nelson and Jason
3) Jason and Corey
Essay Topic 2
Why does Kyle participate on the swimming team at school? How does Kyle feel pressured to be an athlete? How does this impact Kyle's relationship with his father? Why do some men equate athletic ability to manliness? Is Kyle less of a man because he does not like sports? How does Kyle's situation with his father compare to Jason's relationship with his father? Does Kyle's father approve of Jason only because Jason is an athlete? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Shea? What is her relationship with Nelson? How often does Nelson go to Shea with his troubles? What does Shea know about Nelson that no one else knows? Why does Nelson begin avoiding Shea's calls? How does Shea feel about this? Why does Shea end her relationship with Nelson? How does Shea respond when Nelson seeks her out and tries to make amends? Why does she behave in this way? Is she right? What might Nelson have done differently to avoid this situation?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)