|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does Debra return to Jason when they break up?
(a) A necklace.
(b) His class ring.
(c) A ring.
(d) A bracelet.
2. How does Jason's father feel about this scholarship?
(a) He is proud.
(b) He thinks Jason did as well as he could.
(c) He thinks Jason could have done better.
(d) He is indifferent.
3. What do Jason's parents fight about in Chapter 16?
(b) His mother's continued resistance to buying beer.
(c) His mother's choice to go to an Al-Anon meeting.
4. What is Jason doing when chaos begins to break out during the Christmas holiday in Chapter 16?
(a) Listening to music in his bedroom.
(b) Playing poker with his cousins.
(c) Playing Old Maid with his sister.
(d) Watching a football game.
5. What change to Jason's future plans has taken place now that his father is gone?
(a) Nothing, he still plans to attend Tech.
(b) He has to stay home to care for his mother.
(c) He might not go away to college.
(d) He can no longer afford what his scholarship will not pay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Kyle give Nelson for Christmas?
2. To whom does Brick reveal the apartment really belongs after his encounter with Nelson in Chapter 15?
3. For what reason does Nelson reveal his mother has grounded him in Chapter 17?
4. Who visits Jason's home during the Christmas holiday?
5. How does Kyle think his father will react to his participation in a fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nelson's father say to Nelson on the phone? What does this conversation suggest about Nelson's relationship with his father?
2. Where does Nelson meet Brick? What happens when Nelson meets Brick at a local coffee bar?
3. Who approaches Jason in the final chapter of the book? For what reason?
4. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
5. What happens when Jason and his father get into an altercation over the volume of his stereo?
6. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
7. What does Kyle say when he kisses Jason? How does Jason respond?
8. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
9. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
10. Nelson and his mother both speak at the school board meeting to support the beginning of a Gay-Straight Alliance club at the high school. What does Nelson talk about and what impact does it have on the board and those who oppose the club?
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)