|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Shea angry with Nelson when he calls her in chapter 18?
(a) He did not respond when she needed him.
(b) He did not buy her anything for Christmas.
(c) He missed her engagement party.
(d) He forgot her birthday.
2. For the first time, with whom does Jason stop to talk in the hallway at school in Chapter 22?
3. For what reason does Kyle find Jason depressed and alone in his home at the end of Chapter 20?
(a) Jason is heartbroken that Debra no longer wants to be friends.
(b) Jason is humiliated that everyone at school now knows he is gay.
(c) Jason's mother has asked him to move out.
(d) Jason's father has left the family.
4. Why does Kyle go to see Nelson in Chapter 17?
(a) To hide from his parents.
(b) To vent about Jason.
(c) Nelson has not been to school.
(d) To work on homework together.
5. What do Jason's parents fight about in Chapter 16?
(a) His mother's choice to go to an Al-Anon meeting.
(c) His mother's continued resistance to buying beer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kyle think his father will react to his participation in a fight?
2. Over what television show do Kyle and Jason briefly bond in Chapter 14?
3. How does Kyle tell Jason the fight began?
4. What reason does Kyle give his parents for not telling them sooner about the harassment he has suffered due to his sexuality?
5. Who does Nelson hope to see at the Rainbow Youth party at Caitlin's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
2. How does Corey react to the news that Jason is gay? What advice does he give Jason?
3. Where does Nelson meet Brick? What happens when Nelson meets Brick at a local coffee bar?
4. What does Kyle say when he kisses Jason? How does Jason respond?
5. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
6. Why does Jason feel that his father's leaving is his fault? How does Jason's father compare to Kyle and Nelson's fathers in this novel?
7. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
8. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
9. How does Nelson feel when his father fails to pick him up for their pre-arranged dinner plans?
10. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)