|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kyle think his father will react to his participation in a fight?
(a) He will want to press charges.
(b) He will be angry with Jack.
(c) He will blame Nelson.
(d) He will blame his choice of sexuality.
2. How does Jason's father feel about this scholarship?
(a) He thinks Jason did as well as he could.
(b) He thinks Jason could have done better.
(c) He is proud.
(d) He is indifferent.
3. What reason does Kyle give for not reporting the harassing phone calls he has received to the school authorities?
(a) They will not do anything.
(b) He is embarassed.
(c) He can handle it.
(d) He does not want to draw more attention to himself.
4. Why does Jason make the final decision to attend the meeting?
(a) He is afraid Kyle will be mad at him.
(b) He wants to support Nelson and Kyle.
(c) He feels responsible for protecting Nelson.
(d) He is tired of lying.
5. What does Kyle tell Nelson happened to Shea in Chapter 21?
(a) She broke up with Caitlin.
(b) She decided to go to Smith with Caitlin.
(c) She has a new girlfriend.
(d) She decided not to go to college.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Nelson leave the Rainbow Youth party in Chapter 12?
2. For what reason does Kyle find Jason depressed and alone in his home at the end of Chapter 20?
3. What causes the chaos in Jason's home during the Christmas break as described in Chapter 16?
4. To whom does Brick reveal the apartment really belongs after his encounter with Nelson in Chapter 15?
5. How old does Nelson tell Brick he is in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
2. What happens to Nelson that makes Jason feel the need to interfere? What does Jason do?
3. Nelson and his mother both speak at the school board meeting to support the beginning of a Gay-Straight Alliance club at the high school. What does Nelson talk about and what impact does it have on the board and those who oppose the club?
4. How does Kyle react to Nelson's confession of an unprotected sexual encounter? How does this situation impact Kyle?
5. What does Kyle say when he kisses Jason? How does Jason respond?
6. How does Jason's father respond to Kyle and Nelson? How does Jason deal with his father's reaction?
7. Why does Nelson hook up with Blake at a Rainbow Youth party? What happens?
8. Why does Jason feel that his father's leaving is his fault? How does Jason's father compare to Kyle and Nelson's fathers in this novel?
9. How does Nelson feel when his father fails to pick him up for their pre-arranged dinner plans?
10. Where does Nelson meet Brick? What happens when Nelson meets Brick at a local coffee bar?
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)