|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jason's mother initially believe might be responsible for Jason's sexuality?
(d) His father.
2. What happens during basketball practice in Chapter 16 that makes Jason wonder if he has become a target of intolerance?
(a) Someone calls him a derogatory name.
(b) Someone purposely pushes him against the wall.
(c) Someone steals his clothes from his locker.
(d) Someone fouls him during play.
3. How does Kyle think his father will react to his participation in a fight?
(a) He will be angry with Jack.
(b) He will blame his choice of sexuality.
(c) He will blame Nelson.
(d) He will want to press charges.
4. Why does Jason stop Kyle from sitting at the athletes table in the cafeteria in Chapter 16?
(a) To embarass Kyle.
(b) To keep people from knowing about their relationship.
(c) To make Kyle leave him alone.
(d) To end their relationship.
5. What does Kyle's father suggest he might do after Kyle's fight with Jack and Jose?
(a) Read more about homosexuality.
(b) Go to a Rainbow Youth meeting.
(c) Join PFLAG.
(d) Stop accusing Kyle of choosing his sexuality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jason's parents fight about in Chapter 16?
2. What causes the chaos in Jason's home during the Christmas break as described in Chapter 16?
3. What gift does Kyle give Nelson for Christmas?
4. How long does Debra claim it has been since she and Jason last talked in Chapter 13?
5. How does Nelson's mother react to the fight Nelson and Kyle got into with Jack and Jose?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kyle's father react to the fight in which Kyle has recently been involved? Why does this surprise and please Kyle?
2. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
3. Why does Jason feel that his father's leaving is his fault? How does Jason's father compare to Kyle and Nelson's fathers in this novel?
4. What does Kyle say when he kisses Jason? How does Jason respond?
5. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
6. Who approaches Jason in the final chapter of the book? For what reason?
7. What happens when Jason comes across Jack Ransom and his friends fighting with Nelson and Kyle? How does Jason respond?
8. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
9. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
10. Nelson and his mother both speak at the school board meeting to support the beginning of a Gay-Straight Alliance club at the high school. What does Nelson talk about and what impact does it have on the board and those who oppose the club?
This section contains 1,420 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)