|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Nelson give Kyle for not using protection during his encounter with Brick?
(a) He forgot.
(b) He was afraid to ask.
(c) He assumed Brick would take care of it.
(d) He was embarassed.
2. Who wrote a derogatory word on Kyle's locker during the Christmas break?
(a) Jason and his friends.
(b) Jack Ransom.
(c) Debra and her friends.
3. Why does Jason turn up the sound on his stereo in Chapter 13, causing his father to become angry?
(a) It's just a habit.
(b) To shut out the memory of Debra's anger.
(c) His parents are fighting.
(d) To hear it better.
4. What do Jason's parents fight about in Chapter 16?
(c) His mother's choice to go to an Al-Anon meeting.
(d) His mother's continued resistance to buying beer.
5. How has Jason been treating Kyle since their trip to the movies?
(a) As though he does not know him.
(b) Like they are lovers.
(c) The same as before.
(d) With indifference.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in chapter 18 when Nelson tries to contact Brick?
2. Why does Jason make the final decision to attend the meeting?
3. Who is Dane?
4. What changes in Jason and Kyle's relationship in Chapter 20 after the fight between Nelson and Kyle and Jack and Jose?
5. To what school does Jason receive a scholarship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Kyle's parents respond to a harassing phone call placed to their home in response to Kyle's involvement in the forming of a GSA club at school? How does this inspire Kyle to stand up for himself in an unusual way?
2. With whom does Nelson go out in this chapter of the novel? What is different about this date than some of Nelson's other social encounters?
3. How does Debra react when Jason tells her that he thinks he might be gay?
4. What does Kyle say when he kisses Jason? How does Jason respond?
5. How does Nelson feel when his father fails to pick him up for their pre-arranged dinner plans?
6. How does Kyle's father react to meeting Jason for the first time? How does this make Kyle feel?
7. Who does Nelson tell Shea he has been contacting over the Internet? For what reason does Shea suggest Nelson has been contacting this person?
8. Who approaches Jason in the final chapter of the book? For what reason?
9. How does Nelson's mother respond to the information that Nelson had an unprotected sexual encounter? What impact does her response have on Nelson?
10. What happens to Nelson that makes Jason feel the need to interfere? What does Jason do?
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)