|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Kyle and Jason study?
(a) Jason's house.
(b) The library.
(c) Kyle's house.
(d) The local diner.
2. What is the point of view of the novel?
(a) Second person.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person limited.
(d) First person omniscient.
3. What did Jason think would happen if someone saw him holding hands with Kyle in the movie theater?
(a) He would be arrested.
(b) Everyone would learn he is gay.
(c) His father would find out and kill him.
(d) He would be humiliated.
4. What is a brownstone?
(a) A type of precious stone.
(b) A geological artifact.
(c) A type of building.
(d) Slang for gravel.
5. What does Kyle reveal to his father that he has always disliked in Chapter 11?
(a) Going to grandma's.
(c) Family vacations.
6. How many narrators are there in this novel?
7. What type of friends does Kyle's father wish Kyle had?
(a) Popular kids.
8. What does Nelson say is the purpose of the new club he and Kyle want to start at the high school?
(a) To raise money for athletic clubs.
(b) To promote tolerance.
(c) To give gays a social outlet.
(d) To provide dating services for all students.
9. What is Jason's mother reading in Chapter 10?
(a) A pamphlet for PFLAG.
(b) A pamphlet for Al-Anon.
(c) A self-help book.
(d) A novel.
10. Who is Fenner Farley?
(a) A teacher at the school.
(b) The school principal.
(c) A religious student at the high school.
(d) Nelson's father.
11. What does Kyle say is the cause of his sexuality?
(a) The media.
(b) Sexual abuse by an aunt.
(c) His relationship with his mother.
(d) He was born that way.
12. What does Kyle say makes him feel like an alien?
(a) His thinning hair.
(b) His braces.
(c) His friendship with Nelson.
(d) His acne.
13. Why is Kyle unsure about keeping the magazine at his house?
(a) He does not feel comfortable looking at it.
(b) He is afraid his father might find it.
(c) He might lose it.
(d) His mother might see it.
14. Who does Corey say he heard was running for queen of the dance in Chapter 7?
15. Who is Caitlin?
(a) Nelson's cousin.
(b) Shea's girlfriend.
(c) Blake's girlfriend.
(d) Kyle's cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Nelson crave attention as he states in Chapter 3?
2. What item of clothing does Kyle constantly wear, no matter the circumstances or weather?
3. What does Kyle suddenly realize about Nelson at the end of Chapter 11?
4. Who is applying to colleges, as discussed in Chapter 6?
5. Who does Nelson suggest Kyle take to this upcoming social event that is discussed in Chapter 6?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)