|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Nelson's mother suggest Nelson is in love in Chapter 6?
2. What is one of the nicknames students have for Ms. MacTrough?
(a) Big Mac.
(b) Mac Nation.
(c) Small Mac.
3. What does Nelson give to Jason before he leaves the meeting?
(a) A button with a gay slogan.
(b) His phone number.
(c) Kyle's phone number.
(d) A flyer for a party.
4. What does the principal ask Nelson to do about his behavior?
(a) Act normal.
(b) Stop bullying people.
(c) Stop instigating fights.
(d) Become more social.
5. What happens when Nelson's mother complains to the principal about the bullying Nelson experiences with Jack Ransom?
(a) The principal says that Nelson should go to a different school.
(b) The principal says that Nelson needs to control his temper.
(c) The principal says that Nelson should stop dressing oddly.
(d) The principal says that Nelson brings it on himself.
6. Why is Nelson unhappy with his appearance?
(a) He wants to attract women.
(b) He thinks he is boring.
(c) He thinks his looks are causing the bullying at school.
(d) He dislikes the color of his eyes.
7. What is the subject of the Rainbow Youth meeting the day Jason attends?
(a) What it means to be gay.
(b) Protecting against HIV.
(c) How to meet singles.
(d) Coming out.
8. Why does Kyle choose to join the swim team?
(a) He wants to impress Jason.
(b) He is not good at any other sport.
(c) To make his mother happy.
(d) He thinks it will help his social life.
9. What item does Jason wear in Chapter 4 that his father tells him to take off?
(a) A pair of diamond earrings.
(b) A pink t-shirt.
(c) A single, dangling earring.
(d) A chrome bead necklace.
10. Who is applying to colleges, as discussed in Chapter 6?
11. What does Kyle give Nelson in Chapter 3?
(a) A new phone.
(b) His umbrella.
(c) A new earring.
(d) His sweatshirt.
12. What does Kyle reveal he was afraid his parents would do when they learned about his sexuality?
(a) That they would kick him out.
(b) They would stop loving him.
(c) They would disown him.
(d) They would physically harm him.
13. Why does Jason think his friends would not be supportive if he came out as gay to them?
(a) They are self-centered and would worry how it would look to others.
(b) They bully kids like Nelson.
(c) They make gay jokes.
(d) They are afraid of things they do not understand.
14. What does Kyle suddenly realize about Nelson at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) That he has a crush on Kyle.
(b) That he is lonely.
(c) That he has a crush on Jason.
(d) That he misses his father.
15. What is the nature of the hotline Jason calls over the summer?
(a) A hotline to help teens deal with issues concerning their sexuality.
(b) A hotline to help teens who are suicidal.
(c) A hotline to help teens with financial problems.
(d) A hotline to help teens whose parents are alcholics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Debra appear to feel about the group Nelson wants to start at the high school?
2. Why does Nelson go to Shea's at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. What is the purpose of a new medication Nelson is taking in Chapter 9?
4. What does Kyle say is the cause of his sexuality?
5. What type of friends does Kyle's father wish Kyle had?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)