|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of the Rainbow Youth meeting the day Jason attends?
(a) Protecting against HIV.
(b) How to meet singles.
(c) What it means to be gay.
(d) Coming out.
2. Who interrupts Kyle's conversation at school with Jason the Monday after the Rainbow Youth meeting?
3. Who gives Jason the item he is wearing in Chapter 4 of which his father disapproves?
(c) His mother.
4. What does Kyle say is the cause of his sexuality?
(a) Sexual abuse by an aunt.
(b) The media.
(c) He was born that way.
(d) His relationship with his mother.
5. Who is applying to colleges, as discussed in Chapter 6?
6. What does Kyle say makes him feel like an alien?
(a) His thinning hair.
(b) His braces.
(c) His friendship with Nelson.
(d) His acne.
7. Why does Nelson go to Shea's at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) To see her new dog.
(b) To talk about college applications.
(c) To complain about Jason.
(d) To get a haircut.
8. What is Nelson searching for as his mother rushes him to get to school in Chapter 6?
(a) His favorite shirt.
(b) His cellphone.
(c) His camera.
(d) His books.
9. How many narrators are there in this novel?
10. In what subject does Kyle offer to tutor Jason in Chapter 5?
11. Why does Jason feel he cannot talk about his confusion about his sexuality with his father?
(a) He is afraid his father would kill him.
(b) His father is an absentee dad.
(c) His father would think differently about him.
(d) He does not want to burden his father with his problems.
12. From what book did Nelson get the name for his dog, Atticus?
(a) Of Mice and Men.
(b) Moby Dick.
(d) To Kill a Mockingbird.
13. What upcoming social event do Nelson and Kyle talk about in Chapter 6?
(b) Spring break.
(c) A Sadie Hawk dance.
14. What special treat does Kyle do for his parents after school in Chapter 8?
(a) Makes dinner.
(b) Washes the family car.
(c) Gives the family pet a bath.
(d) Cleans the whole house.
15. What college is thought to have a great lesbian community, as discussed in Chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nelson unhappy with his appearance?
2. Why is Kyle unsure about keeping the magazine at his house?
3. What does Kyle suggest is the only cause of bullying Nelson suffers at the high school?
4. What does Nelson think Jason is most frightened of?
5. Why does Jason not want to end his relationship with Debra despite his feelings he might be gay?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)