|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Thompson wear constantly?
2. What does the governor refuse to discuss?
3. How long does Thompson want to stay in Pago Pago?
4. Who or what does Thompson agree to face?
5. What does Macphail feel is unnecessary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Macphail's thoughts regarding the confession?
2. What is Thompson's reaction to Davidson's solution to her problem? What happens next?
3. What happens the night before Thompson is due to leave the island for San Francisco?
4. What occurs on Sunday? What is Davidson's reaction?
5. Describe Macphail's visit to the governor.
6. What is Davidson's new proclamation regarding Thompson and her character?
7. What is Horn's forecast for the island's weather? Is this a common occurrence?
8. How has Davidson's opinion of Thompson changed? Why?
9. Describe the interaction between Thompson and the other travelers over the next few days.
10. What is Davidson's solution to Thompson's predicament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were several initial opinions of Thompson given by various characters. Discuss the opinions of each. Which was the most accurate? Was the opinion based on fact, intuition, or prejudice? Do you think Thompson was aware of these opinions? If so, what did she think?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the story it is clear that Davidson was manipulated by Thompson. Explain in detail what Thompson did to Davidson and the results of those actions. What was Thompson's goal? Was the goal achieved? What might Thompson do next?
Essay Topic 3
Explain in details the Davidsons' missionary experience. Include length of service, locations, and missions accomplished. What religion is most closely related to the Davidsons' ideals and actions? What kind of training would it take to become a missionary? How would you approach the job?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)