|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the women look to to solve their issue?
2. What is offered to Thompson?
3. What activity is required by Davidson?
4. How does Macphail view Davidson?
5. Who complains to Horn about the loud music?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Macphail's thoughts regarding the confession?
2. What is Thompson's reaction to Davidson's solution to her problem? What happens next?
3. What is Davidson's new proclamation regarding Thompson and her character?
4. What is the outcome of the meeting? What is Davidson's reaction?
5. Why does Thompson meet with the governor? What is the outcome?
6. What is Macphail's reaction to the interaction between Davidson and Thompson?
7. Describe the interaction between Thompson and the other travelers over the next few days.
8. What is Horn's forecast for the island's weather? Is this a common occurrence?
9. Describe Thompson's physical change during this time.
10. What happens the night before Thompson is due to leave the island for San Francisco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in details the Davidsons' missionary experience. Include length of service, locations, and missions accomplished. What religion is most closely related to the Davidsons' ideals and actions? What kind of training would it take to become a missionary? How would you approach the job?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the story it is clear that Davidson was manipulated by Thompson. Explain in detail what Thompson did to Davidson and the results of those actions. What was Thompson's goal? Was the goal achieved? What might Thompson do next?
Essay Topic 3
Davidson attempts to override the Governor's decision through the threat of contacting powerful allies in the United States. Discuss the Governor's position and authority on the island. To whom would the governor have to answer regarding political pressure? What kind of political influence did Davidson have? Where were the allies? How could they have pressured the Governor into changing his mind? Did the plan work?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)