|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Davidson wrong about?
2. What does the governor refuse to discuss?
3. Who is the first to comment on Davidson's strange behavior?
4. What is Thompson's first name?
5. Where are the mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Davidson's latest epiphany regarding Thompson and her reluctance to go to San Francisco?
2. What is Macphail's reaction to the interaction between Davidson and Thompson?
3. What is Horn's forecast for the island's weather? Is this a common occurrence?
4. What is the confession Mrs. Davidson makes to Dr. Macphail?
5. What is Davidson's new proclamation regarding Thompson and her character?
6. What is Thompson's reaction to Davidson's solution to her problem? What happens next?
7. What is the main activity in the house over the next four days?
8. What is the purpose for Macphail's visit to Thompson's room? What does he find?
9. How does Macphail respond to the weather?
10. How does Davidson arrange to meet with Thompson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thompson is clearly a manipulative and powerful woman. Examine the woman's motives. Why do you think she was on the island? What is her back story? What was the crime she committed in San Francisco? What was the right decision made by the governor in regards to the deportation? What might happen to Thompson in the near future?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Davidson's initial meeting with the governor. What was the purpose? What was the result? Was there anything that Davidson could have said to make the governor change his mind? Was the governor's decision rational? Which side of the argument do you identify with most? Did Davidson let the issue rest?
Essay Topic 3
The Davidsons like to assert their authority and thrust their opinions onto others. Examine the authority the couple has as missionaries. Is the authority legal or implied? If not legal, why do people comply? What is the typical reaction of those on the receiving end of Davidson's preaching?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)