|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Davidson's view of music on the Sabbath.
2. Mrs. Davidson is worried that her husband is doing what?
3. Davidson surmises what about Thompson?
4. How does Macphail view Davidson?
5. What does Thompson ask for from Macphail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Horn's forecast for the island's weather? Is this a common occurrence?
2. Why does Thompson meet with the governor? What is the outcome?
3. What occurs on Sunday? What is Davidson's reaction?
4. What are Macphail's thoughts regarding the confession?
5. How does Thompson's demeanor change toward Davidson and the others?
6. What is the purpose and plan surrounding Thompson's plea to Macphail?
7. What is Davidson's new proclamation regarding Thompson and her character?
8. What is Davidson's solution to Thompson's predicament?
9. What is the confession Mrs. Davidson makes to Dr. Macphail?
10. What happens the night before Thompson is due to leave the island for San Francisco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were several initial opinions of Thompson given by various characters. Discuss the opinions of each. Which was the most accurate? Was the opinion based on fact, intuition, or prejudice? Do you think Thompson was aware of these opinions? If so, what did she think?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the main setting in the story, the final destination, and any unusual occurrences that happen on the way. How might the story have turned out differently if the measles outbreak had not occurred?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Davidson's initial meeting with the governor. What was the purpose? What was the result? Was there anything that Davidson could have said to make the governor change his mind? Was the governor's decision rational? Which side of the argument do you identify with most? Did Davidson let the issue rest?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)