|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Thompson's potential sentence?
2. Who is summoned by Horn?
3. Who is unsurprised by Davidson's actions?
4. Who believes that the natives have evil intent?
5. What about Thompson has supposedly changed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose and plan surrounding Thompson's plea to Macphail?
2. What is Macphail's reaction to the interaction between Davidson and Thompson?
3. What is Horn's forecast for the island's weather? Is this a common occurrence?
4. What are Macphail's thoughts regarding the confession?
5. What is the main activity in the house over the next four days?
6. Describe the interaction between Thompson and the other travelers over the next few days.
7. How does Macphail respond to the weather?
8. What is Davidson's latest epiphany regarding Thompson and her reluctance to go to San Francisco?
9. Why does Thompson meet with the governor? What is the outcome?
10. What is Thompson's reaction to Davidson's solution to her problem? What happens next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Horn is an interesting and somewhat enigmatic character. Horn is not a native but seems to be accepted as one. Why? What is Horn's interest in the island? Describe Horn's business. The author also creates juxtaposition with Horn's attitudes and actions against his physical description. Examine the juxtaposition and how it is or is not effective in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Give an overview of the personality of Horn. What is unusual about the man? What about Horn contradicts the appearance the man chooses to present? What is the collective opinion of the travelers about Horn? What is Horn's status in the community?
Essay Topic 3
Thompson is clearly a manipulative and powerful woman. Examine the woman's motives. Why do you think she was on the island? What is her back story? What was the crime she committed in San Francisco? What was the right decision made by the governor in regards to the deportation? What might happen to Thompson in the near future?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)