|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Macphail begins to doubt what about Thompson?
2. Macphail looks forward to the return of which of the following?
3. Who believes that the natives have evil intent?
4. What about Thompson has supposedly changed?
5. Where do the women walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Thompson and the other travelers over the next few days.
2. How has Davidson's opinion of Thompson changed? Why?
3. What is the purpose for Macphail's visit to Thompson's room? What does he find?
4. What is Davidson's latest epiphany regarding Thompson and her reluctance to go to San Francisco?
5. What is Macphail's reaction to the interaction between Davidson and Thompson?
6. Describe Thompson's physical change during this time.
7. What is Thompson's reaction to Davidson's solution to her problem? What happens next?
8. What is the governor's opinion of Davidson?
9. What is Horn's forecast for the island's weather? Is this a common occurrence?
10. What occurs on Sunday? What is Davidson's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give an overview of the personality of Horn. What is unusual about the man? What about Horn contradicts the appearance the man chooses to present? What is the collective opinion of the travelers about Horn? What is Horn's status in the community?
Essay Topic 2
Rain obviously plays a large part in the story. Explain Maugham's use of rain and related metaphors. How did the rain affect the various characters in the story? What might have changed if the weather had been more agreeable? How did the weather affect the future of the travelers? How did it affect the personalities and moods of the characters? How are you affected by prolonged bouts of rain?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the main setting in the story, the final destination, and any unusual occurrences that happen on the way. How might the story have turned out differently if the measles outbreak had not occurred?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)