|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Thompson go if she returns to the U.S.?
2. Who believes that the natives have evil intent?
3. Who is summoned by Horn?
4. How does the person greet the women?
5. What is inferred by the mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Thompson's reaction to Davidson's solution to her problem? What happens next?
2. What occurs on Sunday? What is Davidson's reaction?
3. Describe the interaction between Thompson and the other travelers over the next few days.
4. What is the governor's opinion of Davidson?
5. What is the outcome of the meeting? What is Davidson's reaction?
6. What is Davidson's new proclamation regarding Thompson and her character?
7. What is Macphail's reaction to the interaction between Davidson and Thompson?
8. Describe the encounter between Thompson and the other women. What is the result of Thompson's actions?
9. How does Thompson's demeanor change toward Davidson and the others?
10. What is Davidson's latest epiphany regarding Thompson and her reluctance to go to San Francisco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Davidson attempts to override the Governor's decision through the threat of contacting powerful allies in the United States. Discuss the Governor's position and authority on the island. To whom would the governor have to answer regarding political pressure? What kind of political influence did Davidson have? Where were the allies? How could they have pressured the Governor into changing his mind? Did the plan work?
Essay Topic 2
Horn is an interesting and somewhat enigmatic character. Horn is not a native but seems to be accepted as one. Why? What is Horn's interest in the island? Describe Horn's business. The author also creates juxtaposition with Horn's attitudes and actions against his physical description. Examine the juxtaposition and how it is or is not effective in the story.
Essay Topic 3
The Davidsons like to assert their authority and thrust their opinions onto others. Examine the authority the couple has as missionaries. Is the authority legal or implied? If not legal, why do people comply? What is the typical reaction of those on the receiving end of Davidson's preaching?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)