|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Thompson want to go?
2. Who or what does Thompson agree to face?
3. How long does Thompson lament?
4. Strained meetings with Thompson go on for how many nights?
5. Describe Thompson's appearance.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Thompson's physical change during this time.
2. What is the outcome of the meeting? What is Davidson's reaction?
3. What is the governor's opinion of Davidson?
4. How does Macphail respond to the weather?
5. How has Davidson's opinion of Thompson changed? Why?
6. What happens the night before Thompson is due to leave the island for San Francisco?
7. What is Davidson's latest epiphany regarding Thompson and her reluctance to go to San Francisco?
8. Describe the interaction between Thompson and the other travelers over the next few days.
9. What occurs on Sunday? What is Davidson's reaction?
10. How does Thompson's demeanor change toward Davidson and the others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in details the Davidsons' missionary experience. Include length of service, locations, and missions accomplished. What religion is most closely related to the Davidsons' ideals and actions? What kind of training would it take to become a missionary? How would you approach the job?
Essay Topic 2
On several occasions the Davidsons regale the Macphails with details of their missionary work. Explain how the couple got started, how and where they met, and how their devotion to missionary work affected their relationship. Also examine the locales mentioned in the story and how they were influenced by the Davidsons' work.
Essay Topic 3
Thompson is clearly a manipulative and powerful woman. Examine the woman's motives. Why do you think she was on the island? What is her back story? What was the crime she committed in San Francisco? What was the right decision made by the governor in regards to the deportation? What might happen to Thompson in the near future?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)