|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Davidson is worried that her husband is doing what?
2. What about Thompson has supposedly changed?
3. What book does Thompson read?
4. What prompts Thompson to go to that location?
5. What could happen if Horn crossed the missionaries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Macphail's reaction to the interaction between Davidson and Thompson?
2. Describe the interaction between Thompson and the other travelers over the next few days.
3. What is the confession Mrs. Davidson makes to Dr. Macphail?
4. What is the purpose for Macphail's visit to Thompson's room? What does he find?
5. What is the main activity in the house over the next four days?
6. How does Thompson's demeanor change toward Davidson and the others?
7. What happens the night before Thompson is due to leave the island for San Francisco?
8. How does Davidson arrange to meet with Thompson?
9. What is the purpose and plan surrounding Thompson's plea to Macphail?
10. What is Horn's forecast for the island's weather? Is this a common occurrence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Davidson attempts to override the Governor's decision through the threat of contacting powerful allies in the United States. Discuss the Governor's position and authority on the island. To whom would the governor have to answer regarding political pressure? What kind of political influence did Davidson have? Where were the allies? How could they have pressured the Governor into changing his mind? Did the plan work?
Essay Topic 2
Macphail believes that many of Davidson's actions are more closely related to fascism than Christianity. Examine the use of religion in relation to leaders trying to get their own way and assert their authority over others. Give examples, results, and consequences.
Essay Topic 3
Thompson had a plan to go to Australia. The plan was thwarted by Davidson's intervention with the governor. Discuss the steps taken by Davidson as well as his reasons. Explain the reaction of the governor. What was Thompson's reaction to the news of her foiled plan? What did Thompson do to try and reverse the decision?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)