|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Thompson read?
2. Davidson surmises what about Thompson?
3. How does Davidson view Thompson?
4. What was Thompson's potential job?
5. What does Davidson do after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the night before Thompson is due to leave the island for San Francisco?
2. What is the purpose for Macphail's visit to Thompson's room? What does he find?
3. How does Davidson arrange to meet with Thompson?
4. What are Macphail's thoughts regarding the confession?
5. What is the outcome of the meeting? What is Davidson's reaction?
6. Describe the interaction between Thompson and the other travelers over the next few days.
7. What is Horn's forecast for the island's weather? Is this a common occurrence?
8. How has Davidson's opinion of Thompson changed? Why?
9. What is the governor's opinion of Davidson?
10. What is Davidson's new proclamation regarding Thompson and her character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Davidson attempts to override the Governor's decision through the threat of contacting powerful allies in the United States. Discuss the Governor's position and authority on the island. To whom would the governor have to answer regarding political pressure? What kind of political influence did Davidson have? Where were the allies? How could they have pressured the Governor into changing his mind? Did the plan work?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of Mrs. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the main setting in the story, the final destination, and any unusual occurrences that happen on the way. How might the story have turned out differently if the measles outbreak had not occurred?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)