|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Thompson's potential job?
2. What is inferred by the mountains?
3. Mrs. Davidson is worried that her husband is doing what?
4. Describe Thompson's appearance.
5. What is Thompson's reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Davidson's latest epiphany regarding Thompson and her reluctance to go to San Francisco?
2. Describe the encounter between Thompson and the other women. What is the result of Thompson's actions?
3. What is Davidson's solution to Thompson's predicament?
4. What is Horn's forecast for the island's weather? Is this a common occurrence?
5. What is the purpose and plan surrounding Thompson's plea to Macphail?
6. Describe Macphail's visit to the governor.
7. What is the purpose for Macphail's visit to Thompson's room? What does he find?
8. What are Macphail's thoughts regarding the confession?
9. What happens the night before Thompson is due to leave the island for San Francisco?
10. Describe Thompson's physical change during this time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rain obviously plays a large part in the story. Explain Maugham's use of rain and related metaphors. How did the rain affect the various characters in the story? What might have changed if the weather had been more agreeable? How did the weather affect the future of the travelers? How did it affect the personalities and moods of the characters? How are you affected by prolonged bouts of rain?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the main setting in the story, the final destination, and any unusual occurrences that happen on the way. How might the story have turned out differently if the measles outbreak had not occurred?
Essay Topic 3
The Davidsons like to assert their authority and thrust their opinions onto others. Examine the authority the couple has as missionaries. Is the authority legal or implied? If not legal, why do people comply? What is the typical reaction of those on the receiving end of Davidson's preaching?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)