|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Thompson's potential sentence?
2. What is Davidson's new relationship to Thompson?
3. Who is the first to comment on Davidson's strange behavior?
4. What begins to thrive on the island?
5. What activity is required by Davidson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Davidson's latest epiphany regarding Thompson and her reluctance to go to San Francisco?
2. What happens the night before Thompson is due to leave the island for San Francisco?
3. How does Thompson's demeanor change toward Davidson and the others?
4. What is Davidson's solution to Thompson's predicament?
5. How does Macphail respond to the weather?
6. What is the purpose for Macphail's visit to Thompson's room? What does he find?
7. Describe the interaction between Thompson and the other travelers over the next few days.
8. What is the confession Mrs. Davidson makes to Dr. Macphail?
9. What is the main activity in the house over the next four days?
10. What is Macphail's reaction to the interaction between Davidson and Thompson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were several initial opinions of Thompson given by various characters. Discuss the opinions of each. Which was the most accurate? Was the opinion based on fact, intuition, or prejudice? Do you think Thompson was aware of these opinions? If so, what did she think?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Davidson's various approaches with Thompson throughout the story. Which was the most effective? Which was the most ineffective? What could Davidson have done differently that would have changed the outcome of the story? What might you have done in Davidson's place?
Essay Topic 3
Thompson is clearly a manipulative and powerful woman. Examine the woman's motives. Why do you think she was on the island? What is her back story? What was the crime she committed in San Francisco? What was the right decision made by the governor in regards to the deportation? What might happen to Thompson in the near future?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)