|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective could be used for Thompson's new attitude?
2. What begins to thrive on the island?
3. What does Davidson seem to be working on at this time?
4. What does the group recite?
5. Macphail looks forward to the return of which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Macphail's reaction to the interaction between Davidson and Thompson?
2. What is Davidson's solution to Thompson's predicament?
3. Describe Macphail's visit to the governor.
4. Why does Thompson meet with the governor? What is the outcome?
5. What is Davidson's new proclamation regarding Thompson and her character?
6. How has Davidson's opinion of Thompson changed? Why?
7. Describe the interaction between Thompson and the other travelers over the next few days.
8. What is the outcome of the meeting? What is Davidson's reaction?
9. What is Davidson's latest epiphany regarding Thompson and her reluctance to go to San Francisco?
10. What is Horn's forecast for the island's weather? Is this a common occurrence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of Mrs. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson.
Essay Topic 2
When did Davidson begin to change? What precipitated the change? Was Davidson simply reacting to his surroundings, manipulation or ego? Explain. What did the others think of the drastic change?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Davidson's various approaches with Thompson throughout the story. Which was the most effective? Which was the most ineffective? What could Davidson have done differently that would have changed the outcome of the story? What might you have done in Davidson's place?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)