|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thompson ask for from Macphail?
2. What does Davidson do after dinner?
3. Strained meetings with Thompson go on for how many nights?
4. What about Thompson has supposedly changed?
5. Where will Thompson go if she returns to the U.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Davidson arrange to meet with Thompson?
2. What is Horn's forecast for the island's weather? Is this a common occurrence?
3. What are Macphail's thoughts regarding the confession?
4. What is Macphail's reaction to the interaction between Davidson and Thompson?
5. What is the main activity in the house over the next four days?
6. What is Davidson's solution to Thompson's predicament?
7. What is the outcome of the meeting? What is Davidson's reaction?
8. Describe the interaction between Thompson and the other travelers over the next few days.
9. How does Thompson's demeanor change toward Davidson and the others?
10. What occurs on Sunday? What is Davidson's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the main setting in the story, the final destination, and any unusual occurrences that happen on the way. How might the story have turned out differently if the measles outbreak had not occurred?
Essay Topic 2
The Davidsons like to assert their authority and thrust their opinions onto others. Examine the authority the couple has as missionaries. Is the authority legal or implied? If not legal, why do people comply? What is the typical reaction of those on the receiving end of Davidson's preaching?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of Macphail and Davidson.
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)