|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Thompson lament?
2. What about Thompson has supposedly changed?
3. Who or what does Thompson agree to face?
4. What is inferred by the mountains?
5. Describe Thompson's appearance.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Thompson and the other travelers over the next few days.
2. Why does Thompson meet with the governor? What is the outcome?
3. How does Thompson's demeanor change toward Davidson and the others?
4. Describe Macphail's visit to the governor.
5. How does Davidson arrange to meet with Thompson?
6. How has Davidson's opinion of Thompson changed? Why?
7. What is Davidson's new proclamation regarding Thompson and her character?
8. What is Macphail's reaction to the interaction between Davidson and Thompson?
9. Describe Thompson's physical change during this time.
10. What occurs on Sunday? What is Davidson's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the main setting in the story, the final destination, and any unusual occurrences that happen on the way. How might the story have turned out differently if the measles outbreak had not occurred?
Essay Topic 2
Horn is an interesting and somewhat enigmatic character. Horn is not a native but seems to be accepted as one. Why? What is Horn's interest in the island? Describe Horn's business. The author also creates juxtaposition with Horn's attitudes and actions against his physical description. Examine the juxtaposition and how it is or is not effective in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the lives of the natives. Do you think the opinion is one gained from experience or prejudice? Is the opinion accurate according to the other travelers? How might the natives feel in return?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)