|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease breaks out on the island?
2. What do the Macphails discuss in their cabin?
3. Who oversees dinner?
4. How does Mrs. Davidson feel about Mr. Davidson?
5. Name one thing that has been eliminated from Davidson's district.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the travelers do after disembarking from the ship?
2. What is the outcome of the meeting? What is Davidson's reaction?
3. What is displeasing about the rooms rented by Horn?
4. What is Davidson's solution to Thompson's predicament?
5. What is Davidson's latest epiphany regarding Thompson and her reluctance to go to San Francisco?
6. What do the travelers soon learn about accommodations?
7. How does Macphail respond to the weather?
8. How has Davidson's opinion of Thompson changed? Why?
9. What is the purpose for Macphail's visit to Thompson's room? What does he find?
10. During the conversation between Dr. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson, the woman announces she is grateful for what regarding the island?
Essay Topic 1
Macphail believes that many of Davidson's actions are more closely related to fascism than Christianity. Examine the use of religion in relation to leaders trying to get their own way and assert their authority over others. Give examples, results, and consequences.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Davidson's various approaches with Thompson throughout the story. Which was the most effective? Which was the most ineffective? What could Davidson have done differently that would have changed the outcome of the story? What might you have done in Davidson's place?
Essay Topic 3
Give an overview of the personality of Horn. What is unusual about the man? What about Horn contradicts the appearance the man chooses to present? What is the collective opinion of the travelers about Horn? What is Horn's status in the community?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)