|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what are the passengers required to take shelter?
2. What term does Thompson use for alcohol?
3. Which activity is not one indulged in by the passengers?
4. What type of attitude is attributed to Macphail?
5. What about Thompson does Macphail admire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general reaction of the travelers?
2. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the fashion of the natives?
3. At this point, how far are the travelers from their destination?
4. What is the collective general personality of each couple?
5. What is the outcome of Davidson's visit with the governor?
6. What is the reaction of the women when they learn about Thompson's arrival?
7. What does Macphail see on his way to the wharf?
8. In what part of the world does the story take place?
9. What is displeasing about the rooms rented by Horn?
10. What advice is given to Macphail by Mrs. Davidson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the main setting in the story, the final destination, and any unusual occurrences that happen on the way. How might the story have turned out differently if the measles outbreak had not occurred?
Essay Topic 2
When did Davidson begin to change? What precipitated the change? Was Davidson simply reacting to his surroundings, manipulation or ego? Explain. What did the others think of the drastic change?
Essay Topic 3
On several occasions the Davidsons regale the Macphails with details of their missionary work. Explain how the couple got started, how and where they met, and how their devotion to missionary work affected their relationship. Also examine the locales mentioned in the story and how they were influenced by the Davidsons' work.
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)