|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Thompson does Macphail admire?
2. What is Macphail's opinion of the Davidsons?
3. What interrupts the group's conversation?
4. What region is designated for the Davidsons?
5. Where do the passengers sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the inhabitants of Tutuila?
2. What is Davidson's epiphany regarding Thompson?
3. What is displeasing about the rooms rented by Horn?
4. What is the collective general personality of each couple?
5. Once downstairs Macphail happens upon a group of people in conversation. Who are they? What are they discussing?
6. What is the mode of transportation mentioned at the beginning of the story?
7. What do the travelers soon learn about accommodations?
8. What are the Macphails' activities the following morning?
9. What interrupts and annoys the travelers during high tea?
10. What was the crux of the conversation held between the women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of Mrs. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson.
Essay Topic 2
Davidson attempts to override the Governor's decision through the threat of contacting powerful allies in the United States. Discuss the Governor's position and authority on the island. To whom would the governor have to answer regarding political pressure? What kind of political influence did Davidson have? Where were the allies? How could they have pressured the Governor into changing his mind? Did the plan work?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Davidson commit suicide? What was Macphail's assessment of the way in which Davidson chose to do it? What is your opinion? What other options might Davidson have exercised rather than suicide? Would there have been a less painful way to do it? Explain.
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)