|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the trader?
2. From which country had Mrs. Davidson just returned?
3. Davidson believes Thompson is involved in which profession?
4. Who supposedly lives at the ship's destination?
5. The story takes place after which war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the travelers headed in this part of the story?
2. What happens when Davidson storms into Thompson's room?
3. Briefly describe the personality of Dr. Macphail.
4. To whom is Davidson compared by Dr. Macphail?
5. What is Macphail's opinion about the behavior of the natives? Does the opinion agree or disagree with Mrs. Davidson's earlier comments?
6. What advice is given to Macphail by Mrs. Davidson?
7. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the fashion of the natives?
8. What do the travelers do after disembarking from the ship?
9. What do the travelers soon learn about accommodations?
10. What bad news is brought by Davidson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give an overview of the personality of Horn. What is unusual about the man? What about Horn contradicts the appearance the man chooses to present? What is the collective opinion of the travelers about Horn? What is Horn's status in the community?
Essay Topic 2
Horn is an interesting and somewhat enigmatic character. Horn is not a native but seems to be accepted as one. Why? What is Horn's interest in the island? Describe Horn's business. The author also creates juxtaposition with Horn's attitudes and actions against his physical description. Examine the juxtaposition and how it is or is not effective in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Davidson's initial meeting with the governor. What was the purpose? What was the result? Was there anything that Davidson could have said to make the governor change his mind? Was the governor's decision rational? Which side of the argument do you identify with most? Did Davidson let the issue rest?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)