|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who informs the group of the prolonged quarantine?
2. What is Davidson's general state of mind?
3. What is the argument about?
4. Where will the group be forced to stay?
5. What word best describes the Macphails at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice is given to Macphail by Mrs. Davidson?
2. What happens when Davidson storms into Thompson's room?
3. Describe briefly how the Davidsons met.
4. Once downstairs Macphail happens upon a group of people in conversation. Who are they? What are they discussing?
5. What is the basis of the argument? What is the outcome?
6. Briefly describe the personality of Dr. Macphail.
7. What is Macphail's opinion about the behavior of the natives? Does the opinion agree or disagree with Mrs. Davidson's earlier comments?
8. At this point, how far are the travelers from their destination?
9. In what part of the world does the story take place?
10. To whom is Davidson compared by Dr. Macphail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Davidsons like to assert their authority and thrust their opinions onto others. Examine the authority the couple has as missionaries. Is the authority legal or implied? If not legal, why do people comply? What is the typical reaction of those on the receiving end of Davidson's preaching?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of Macphail and Davidson.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the story it is clear that Davidson was manipulated by Thompson. Explain in detail what Thompson did to Davidson and the results of those actions. What was Thompson's goal? Was the goal achieved? What might Thompson do next?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)