|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Macphail go?
2. Thanks to the Davidsons, what type of values are attributed to the island natives?
3. What term does Thompson use for alcohol?
4. Who lives above the store?
5. What adjective expresses Mrs. Macphail's opinion of Thompson?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the conversation between Dr. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson, the woman announces she is grateful for what regarding the island?
2. What do the travelers soon learn about accommodations?
3. What was the crux of the conversation held between the women?
4. At this point, how far are the travelers from their destination?
5. What advice is given to Macphail by Mrs. Davidson?
6. What is the reaction of the women when they learn about Thompson's arrival?
7. What is Davidson's epiphany regarding Thompson?
8. What does Macphail see on his way to the wharf?
9. What was one of the accomplishments the Davidsons managed to achieve in their last district?
10. What bad news is brought by Davidson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Macphail believes that many of Davidson's actions are more closely related to fascism than Christianity. Examine the use of religion in relation to leaders trying to get their own way and assert their authority over others. Give examples, results, and consequences.
Essay Topic 2
The Davidsons like to assert their authority and thrust their opinions onto others. Examine the authority the couple has as missionaries. Is the authority legal or implied? If not legal, why do people comply? What is the typical reaction of those on the receiving end of Davidson's preaching?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the lives of the natives. Do you think the opinion is one gained from experience or prejudice? Is the opinion accurate according to the other travelers? How might the natives feel in return?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)