|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does Davidson attempt to break?
2. Which of the following garners Mrs. Davidson's disapproval?
3. Where does the ship dock?
4. With which of the following are the Macphails unfamiliar?
5. What time of day does Mrs. Davidson spend with Mrs. Macphail telling endless tales of her experiences?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Macphail's opinion about the behavior of the natives? Does the opinion agree or disagree with Mrs. Davidson's earlier comments?
2. What are the Macphails' activities the following morning?
3. Describe Macphail's visit to the governor.
4. What is Thompson's behavior toward Mrs. Davidson?
5. What is the purpose and plan surrounding Thompson's plea to Macphail?
6. In what part of the world does the story take place?
7. What was one of the accomplishments the Davidsons managed to achieve in their last district?
8. What is Davidson's latest epiphany regarding Thompson and her reluctance to go to San Francisco?
9. Describe the encounter between Thompson and the other women. What is the result of Thompson's actions?
10. What is the collective general personality of each couple?
Essay Topic 1
Thompson had a plan to go to Australia. The plan was thwarted by Davidson's intervention with the governor. Discuss the steps taken by Davidson as well as his reasons. Explain the reaction of the governor. What was Thompson's reaction to the news of her foiled plan? What did Thompson do to try and reverse the decision?
Essay Topic 2
Macphail believes that many of Davidson's actions are more closely related to fascism than Christianity. Examine the use of religion in relation to leaders trying to get their own way and assert their authority over others. Give examples, results, and consequences.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Davidson's various approaches with Thompson throughout the story. Which was the most effective? Which was the most ineffective? What could Davidson have done differently that would have changed the outcome of the story? What might you have done in Davidson's place?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)