|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the passenger ship's destination?
2. Who is enamored of Thompson?
3. With which of the following are the Macphails unfamiliar?
4. From which country had Mrs. Davidson just returned?
5. How is the issue resolved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basis of the argument? What is the outcome?
2. What are the Macphails' activities the following morning?
3. What is Macphail's opinion about the behavior of the natives? Does the opinion agree or disagree with Mrs. Davidson's earlier comments?
4. What was the crux of the conversation held between the women?
5. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the inhabitants of Tutuila?
6. What is displeasing about the rooms rented by Horn?
7. During the conversation between Dr. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson, the woman announces she is grateful for what regarding the island?
8. Where are the travelers headed in this part of the story?
9. What invitation is issued after the matter is settled?
10. Explain briefly the dangerous nature of working as a missionary.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of Macphail and Davidson.
Essay Topic 2
Davidson attempts to override the Governor's decision through the threat of contacting powerful allies in the United States. Discuss the Governor's position and authority on the island. To whom would the governor have to answer regarding political pressure? What kind of political influence did Davidson have? Where were the allies? How could they have pressured the Governor into changing his mind? Did the plan work?
Essay Topic 3
On several occasions the Davidsons regale the Macphails with details of their missionary work. Explain how the couple got started, how and where they met, and how their devotion to missionary work affected their relationship. Also examine the locales mentioned in the story and how they were influenced by the Davidsons' work.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)