|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At this point in the story, how far away from port is the ship?
2. Who sends Macphail on the errand?
3. What island group does the ship visit?
4. What object does Davidson attempt to break?
5. What do the Davidsons have over the Macphails?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once downstairs Macphail happens upon a group of people in conversation. Who are they? What are they discussing?
2. Briefly describe the personality of Dr. Macphail.
3. What is Davidson's epiphany regarding Thompson?
4. Explain briefly the dangerous nature of working as a missionary.
5. What happens when Davidson storms into Thompson's room?
6. During the conversation between Dr. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson, the woman announces she is grateful for what regarding the island?
7. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the fashion of the natives?
8. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the inhabitants of Tutuila?
9. What does Macphail see on his way to the wharf?
10. What is Macphail's opinion about the behavior of the natives? Does the opinion agree or disagree with Mrs. Davidson's earlier comments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When did Davidson begin to change? What precipitated the change? Was Davidson simply reacting to his surroundings, manipulation or ego? Explain. What did the others think of the drastic change?
Essay Topic 2
Thompson is clearly a manipulative and powerful woman. Examine the woman's motives. Why do you think she was on the island? What is her back story? What was the crime she committed in San Francisco? What was the right decision made by the governor in regards to the deportation? What might happen to Thompson in the near future?
Essay Topic 3
Macphail believes that many of Davidson's actions are more closely related to fascism than Christianity. Examine the use of religion in relation to leaders trying to get their own way and assert their authority over others. Give examples, results, and consequences.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)