|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At this point in the story, how far away from port is the ship?
2. What type of clothing does Thomson prefer?
3. The passengers' rooms are nearly devoid of which object?
4. The inhabitants on the island do not celebrate or practice _____________.
5. Which character is introduced in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mode of transportation mentioned at the beginning of the story?
2. Briefly describe the personality of Dr. Macphail.
3. Who lives in the area above the trader's store?
4. What is the outcome of Davidson's visit with the governor?
5. What do the travelers soon learn about accommodations?
6. What are the Macphails' activities the following morning?
7. What happens when Davidson storms into Thompson's room?
8. What is the basis of the argument? What is the outcome?
9. What is Davidson's epiphany regarding Thompson?
10. What does Macphail see on his way to the wharf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the lives of the natives. Do you think the opinion is one gained from experience or prejudice? Is the opinion accurate according to the other travelers? How might the natives feel in return?
Essay Topic 2
Thompson had a plan to go to Australia. The plan was thwarted by Davidson's intervention with the governor. Discuss the steps taken by Davidson as well as his reasons. Explain the reaction of the governor. What was Thompson's reaction to the news of her foiled plan? What did Thompson do to try and reverse the decision?
Essay Topic 3
On several occasions the Davidsons regale the Macphails with details of their missionary work. Explain how the couple got started, how and where they met, and how their devotion to missionary work affected their relationship. Also examine the locales mentioned in the story and how they were influenced by the Davidsons' work.
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)