|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Macphail on the errand?
2. What is Davidson's general state of mind?
3. What island group does the ship visit?
4. With which of the following are the Macphails unfamiliar?
5. What is the passenger ship's destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the outcome of Davidson's visit with the governor?
2. Describe briefly how the Davidsons met.
3. To whom is Davidson compared by Dr. Macphail?
4. What invitation is issued after the matter is settled?
5. At this point, how far are the travelers from their destination?
6. Briefly describe the personality of Dr. Macphail.
7. What was one of the accomplishments the Davidsons managed to achieve in their last district?
8. What is the basis of the argument? What is the outcome?
9. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the fashion of the natives?
10. What happens when Davidson storms into Thompson's room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On several occasions the Davidsons regale the Macphails with details of their missionary work. Explain how the couple got started, how and where they met, and how their devotion to missionary work affected their relationship. Also examine the locales mentioned in the story and how they were influenced by the Davidsons' work.
Essay Topic 2
There were several initial opinions of Thompson given by various characters. Discuss the opinions of each. Which was the most accurate? Was the opinion based on fact, intuition, or prejudice? Do you think Thompson was aware of these opinions? If so, what did she think?
Essay Topic 3
The Davidsons like to assert their authority and thrust their opinions onto others. Examine the authority the couple has as missionaries. Is the authority legal or implied? If not legal, why do people comply? What is the typical reaction of those on the receiving end of Davidson's preaching?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)