|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Davidson go to visit?
2. Which character is accustomed to getting his/her own way?
3. Where will the group be forced to stay?
4. What is the occupation of Alec Macphail?
5. The inhabitants on the island do not celebrate or practice _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What event takes place in the morning? What is Macphail's part?
2. What is displeasing about the rooms rented by Horn?
3. What advice is given to Macphail by Mrs. Davidson?
4. What do the travelers do after disembarking from the ship?
5. What is the outcome of the meeting? What is Davidson's reaction?
6. What happens when Davidson storms into Thompson's room?
7. What is the outcome of Davidson's visit with the governor?
8. Where are the travelers headed in this part of the story?
9. What does Macphail see on his way to the wharf?
10. What bad news is brought by Davidson?
Essay Topic 1
Davidson attempts to override the Governor's decision through the threat of contacting powerful allies in the United States. Discuss the Governor's position and authority on the island. To whom would the governor have to answer regarding political pressure? What kind of political influence did Davidson have? Where were the allies? How could they have pressured the Governor into changing his mind? Did the plan work?
Essay Topic 2
The Davidsons like to assert their authority and thrust their opinions onto others. Examine the authority the couple has as missionaries. Is the authority legal or implied? If not legal, why do people comply? What is the typical reaction of those on the receiving end of Davidson's preaching?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Davidson commit suicide? What was Macphail's assessment of the way in which Davidson chose to do it? What is your opinion? What other options might Davidson have exercised rather than suicide? Would there have been a less painful way to do it? Explain.
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)