|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much longer will the guests be required to stay on the island?
2. Which of the following has been practically eradicated from Davidson's district?
3. What necessity is lacking on the island?
4. Who oversees dinner?
5. Who does not join the group under the shelter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bad news is brought by Davidson?
2. What advice is given to Macphail by Mrs. Davidson?
3. What is the collective general personality of each couple?
4. What do the travelers soon learn about accommodations?
5. What invitation is issued after the matter is settled?
6. What is the mode of transportation mentioned at the beginning of the story?
7. What is Davidson's epiphany regarding Thompson?
8. To whom is Davidson compared by Dr. Macphail?
9. Explain briefly the dangerous nature of working as a missionary.
10. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the inhabitants of Tutuila?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were several initial opinions of Thompson given by various characters. Discuss the opinions of each. Which was the most accurate? Was the opinion based on fact, intuition, or prejudice? Do you think Thompson was aware of these opinions? If so, what did she think?
Essay Topic 2
Explain in details the Davidsons' missionary experience. Include length of service, locations, and missions accomplished. What religion is most closely related to the Davidsons' ideals and actions? What kind of training would it take to become a missionary? How would you approach the job?
Essay Topic 3
When did Davidson begin to change? What precipitated the change? Was Davidson simply reacting to his surroundings, manipulation or ego? Explain. What did the others think of the drastic change?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)