|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the estimated year?
2. From what ailment is Macphail recovering?
3. Where does the ship dock?
4. What does Thompson offer to the other passengers?
5. Which characters argue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the inhabitants of Tutuila?
2. What do the travelers soon learn about accommodations?
3. Once downstairs Macphail happens upon a group of people in conversation. Who are they? What are they discussing?
4. What are the Macphails' activities the following morning?
5. What is the collective general personality of each couple?
6. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the fashion of the natives?
7. Where are the travelers headed in this part of the story?
8. What do the travelers do after disembarking from the ship?
9. What interrupts and annoys the travelers during high tea?
10. Briefly describe the personality of Dr. Macphail.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in details the Davidsons' missionary experience. Include length of service, locations, and missions accomplished. What religion is most closely related to the Davidsons' ideals and actions? What kind of training would it take to become a missionary? How would you approach the job?
Essay Topic 2
Davidson attempts to override the Governor's decision through the threat of contacting powerful allies in the United States. Discuss the Governor's position and authority on the island. To whom would the governor have to answer regarding political pressure? What kind of political influence did Davidson have? Where were the allies? How could they have pressured the Governor into changing his mind? Did the plan work?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of Macphail and Davidson.
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)