|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective expresses Mrs. Macphail's opinion of Thompson?
2. What object does Davidson attempt to break?
3. The passengers' rooms are nearly devoid of which object?
4. What does Davidson argue about unsuccessfully?
5. What activity is part of the evening's schedule?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the travelers soon learn about accommodations?
2. What bad news is brought by Davidson?
3. What advice is given to Macphail by Mrs. Davidson?
4. What is the general reaction of the travelers?
5. Where are the travelers headed in this part of the story?
6. What is Davidson's epiphany regarding Thompson?
7. At this point, how far are the travelers from their destination?
8. What is the collective general personality of each couple?
9. Explain briefly the dangerous nature of working as a missionary.
10. During the conversation between Dr. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson, the woman announces she is grateful for what regarding the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give an overview of the personality of Horn. What is unusual about the man? What about Horn contradicts the appearance the man chooses to present? What is the collective opinion of the travelers about Horn? What is Horn's status in the community?
Essay Topic 2
Rain obviously plays a large part in the story. Explain Maugham's use of rain and related metaphors. How did the rain affect the various characters in the story? What might have changed if the weather had been more agreeable? How did the weather affect the future of the travelers? How did it affect the personalities and moods of the characters? How are you affected by prolonged bouts of rain?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the main setting in the story, the final destination, and any unusual occurrences that happen on the way. How might the story have turned out differently if the measles outbreak had not occurred?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)