|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will the group be forced to stay?
2. What type of clothing does Thomson prefer?
3. Who issues orders?
4. With whom does Macphail have dinner?
5. What adjective expresses Mrs. Macphail's opinion of Thompson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the collective general personality of each couple?
2. In what part of the world does the story take place?
3. What is the reaction of the women when they learn about Thompson's arrival?
4. What invitation is issued after the matter is settled?
5. What is the outcome of Davidson's visit with the governor?
6. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the inhabitants of Tutuila?
7. What advice is given to Macphail by Mrs. Davidson?
8. What does Macphail see on his way to the wharf?
9. What is Davidson's epiphany regarding Thompson?
10. Briefly describe the personality of Dr. Macphail.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give an overview of the personality of Horn. What is unusual about the man? What about Horn contradicts the appearance the man chooses to present? What is the collective opinion of the travelers about Horn? What is Horn's status in the community?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of Macphail and Davidson.
Essay Topic 3
Macphail believes that many of Davidson's actions are more closely related to fascism than Christianity. Examine the use of religion in relation to leaders trying to get their own way and assert their authority over others. Give examples, results, and consequences.
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)