|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Macphails discuss in their cabin?
2. To whom does Macphail speak?
3. Which character is introduced in this section?
4. What necessity is lacking on the island?
5. What object does Davidson attempt to break?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Davidson's epiphany regarding Thompson?
2. What bad news is brought by Davidson?
3. Describe briefly how the Davidsons met.
4. What was the crux of the conversation held between the women?
5. To whom is Davidson compared by Dr. Macphail?
6. What do the travelers do after disembarking from the ship?
7. What is the mode of transportation mentioned at the beginning of the story?
8. What do the travelers soon learn about accommodations?
9. What are the Macphails' activities the following morning?
10. Where are the travelers headed in this part of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Horn is an interesting and somewhat enigmatic character. Horn is not a native but seems to be accepted as one. Why? What is Horn's interest in the island? Describe Horn's business. The author also creates juxtaposition with Horn's attitudes and actions against his physical description. Examine the juxtaposition and how it is or is not effective in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Give an overview of the personality of Horn. What is unusual about the man? What about Horn contradicts the appearance the man chooses to present? What is the collective opinion of the travelers about Horn? What is Horn's status in the community?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the story it is clear that Davidson was manipulated by Thompson. Explain in detail what Thompson did to Davidson and the results of those actions. What was Thompson's goal? Was the goal achieved? What might Thompson do next?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)