|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people converse with Macphail?
2. Which word would Macphail use to describe the natives?
3. Who does Davidson go to visit?
4. What happens after dinner?
5. Mrs. Davidson is grateful for which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the inhabitants of Tutuila?
2. How does Thompson's demeanor change toward Davidson and the others?
3. Where are the travelers headed in this part of the story?
4. What is Davidson's new proclamation regarding Thompson and her character?
5. What is Macphail's reaction to the interaction between Davidson and Thompson?
6. What is the purpose and plan surrounding Thompson's plea to Macphail?
7. In what part of the world does the story take place?
8. What interrupts and annoys the travelers during high tea?
9. What do the travelers do after disembarking from the ship?
10. What event takes place in the morning? What is Macphail's part?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When did Davidson begin to change? What precipitated the change? Was Davidson simply reacting to his surroundings, manipulation or ego? Explain. What did the others think of the drastic change?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Davidson commit suicide? What was Macphail's assessment of the way in which Davidson chose to do it? What is your opinion? What other options might Davidson have exercised rather than suicide? Would there have been a less painful way to do it? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of Mrs. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson.
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)