|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people converse with Macphail?
2. Who informs the group of the prolonged quarantine?
3. Who takes charge of the situation?
4. How long will the group be quarantined?
5. Who lives above the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe briefly how the Davidsons met.
2. What is the mode of transportation mentioned at the beginning of the story?
3. What happens when Davidson storms into Thompson's room?
4. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the fashion of the natives?
5. What are the Macphails' activities the following morning?
6. Explain briefly the dangerous nature of working as a missionary.
7. What interrupts and annoys the travelers during high tea?
8. What do the travelers soon learn about accommodations?
9. What is the outcome of Davidson's visit with the governor?
10. What invitation is issued after the matter is settled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On several occasions the Davidsons regale the Macphails with details of their missionary work. Explain how the couple got started, how and where they met, and how their devotion to missionary work affected their relationship. Also examine the locales mentioned in the story and how they were influenced by the Davidsons' work.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of Mrs. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson.
Essay Topic 3
Thompson had a plan to go to Australia. The plan was thwarted by Davidson's intervention with the governor. Discuss the steps taken by Davidson as well as his reasons. Explain the reaction of the governor. What was Thompson's reaction to the news of her foiled plan? What did Thompson do to try and reverse the decision?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)