|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is not among that group?
2. Which character is introduced in this section?
3. What word best describes the Macphails at this point?
4. What is the name of the trader?
5. What time of day does Mrs. Davidson spend with Mrs. Macphail telling endless tales of her experiences?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Macphail's opinion about the behavior of the natives? Does the opinion agree or disagree with Mrs. Davidson's earlier comments?
2. What is Davidson's solution to Thompson's predicament?
3. What are the Macphails' activities the following morning?
4. What is Davidson's epiphany regarding Thompson?
5. How has Davidson's opinion of Thompson changed? Why?
6. What interrupts and annoys the travelers during high tea?
7. What is the collective general personality of each couple?
8. What is Thompson's reaction to Davidson's solution to her problem? What happens next?
9. What happens the night before Thompson is due to leave the island for San Francisco?
10. What is Horn's forecast for the island's weather? Is this a common occurrence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Davidson attempts to override the Governor's decision through the threat of contacting powerful allies in the United States. Discuss the Governor's position and authority on the island. To whom would the governor have to answer regarding political pressure? What kind of political influence did Davidson have? Where were the allies? How could they have pressured the Governor into changing his mind? Did the plan work?
Essay Topic 2
Rain obviously plays a large part in the story. Explain Maugham's use of rain and related metaphors. How did the rain affect the various characters in the story? What might have changed if the weather had been more agreeable? How did the weather affect the future of the travelers? How did it affect the personalities and moods of the characters? How are you affected by prolonged bouts of rain?
Essay Topic 3
Macphail believes that many of Davidson's actions are more closely related to fascism than Christianity. Examine the use of religion in relation to leaders trying to get their own way and assert their authority over others. Give examples, results, and consequences.
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)