|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long will the group be quarantined?
2. Mrs. Davidson is grateful for which of the following?
3. Thanks to the Davidsons, what type of values are attributed to the island natives?
4. Which of the following do the women believe Thompson possesses?
5. Which character is accustomed to getting his/her own way?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once downstairs Macphail happens upon a group of people in conversation. Who are they? What are they discussing?
2. What is the reaction of the women when they learn about Thompson's arrival?
3. Describe briefly how the Davidsons met.
4. What is the basis of the argument? What is the outcome?
5. What is the collective general personality of each couple?
6. What bad news is brought by Davidson?
7. What do the travelers soon learn about accommodations?
8. In what part of the world does the story take place?
9. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the fashion of the natives?
10. What is Macphail's opinion about the behavior of the natives? Does the opinion agree or disagree with Mrs. Davidson's earlier comments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give an overview of the personality of Horn. What is unusual about the man? What about Horn contradicts the appearance the man chooses to present? What is the collective opinion of the travelers about Horn? What is Horn's status in the community?
Essay Topic 2
Rain obviously plays a large part in the story. Explain Maugham's use of rain and related metaphors. How did the rain affect the various characters in the story? What might have changed if the weather had been more agreeable? How did the weather affect the future of the travelers? How did it affect the personalities and moods of the characters? How are you affected by prolonged bouts of rain?
Essay Topic 3
There were several initial opinions of Thompson given by various characters. Discuss the opinions of each. Which was the most accurate? Was the opinion based on fact, intuition, or prejudice? Do you think Thompson was aware of these opinions? If so, what did she think?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)