|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the position held?
2. Which of the following do the women believe Thompson possesses?
3. What do the Davidsons have over the Macphails?
4. The inhabitants on the island do not celebrate or practice _____________.
5. What is the passenger ship's destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mode of transportation mentioned at the beginning of the story?
2. What is the outcome of Davidson's visit with the governor?
3. What bad news is brought by Davidson?
4. What was one of the accomplishments the Davidsons managed to achieve in their last district?
5. What is the collective general personality of each couple?
6. What is Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the fashion of the natives?
7. What is the reaction of the women when they learn about Thompson's arrival?
8. During the conversation between Dr. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson, the woman announces she is grateful for what regarding the island?
9. What is Macphail's opinion about the behavior of the natives? Does the opinion agree or disagree with Mrs. Davidson's earlier comments?
10. To whom is Davidson compared by Dr. Macphail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thompson had a plan to go to Australia. The plan was thwarted by Davidson's intervention with the governor. Discuss the steps taken by Davidson as well as his reasons. Explain the reaction of the governor. What was Thompson's reaction to the news of her foiled plan? What did Thompson do to try and reverse the decision?
Essay Topic 2
Horn is an interesting and somewhat enigmatic character. Horn is not a native but seems to be accepted as one. Why? What is Horn's interest in the island? Describe Horn's business. The author also creates juxtaposition with Horn's attitudes and actions against his physical description. Examine the juxtaposition and how it is or is not effective in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Mrs. Davidson's opinion on the lives of the natives. Do you think the opinion is one gained from experience or prejudice? Is the opinion accurate according to the other travelers? How might the natives feel in return?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)