|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not join the group under the shelter?
2. What annoys the travelers?
3. How many people converse with Macphail?
4. Who joins Macphail as the boat approaches the harbor?
5. Which character is introduced in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the crux of the conversation held between the women?
2. What do the travelers soon learn about accommodations?
3. Where are the travelers headed in this part of the story?
4. Once downstairs Macphail happens upon a group of people in conversation. Who are they? What are they discussing?
5. Explain briefly the dangerous nature of working as a missionary.
6. What is displeasing about the rooms rented by Horn?
7. What do the travelers do after disembarking from the ship?
8. Briefly describe the personality of Dr. Macphail.
9. What is Macphail's opinion about the behavior of the natives? Does the opinion agree or disagree with Mrs. Davidson's earlier comments?
10. What is the mode of transportation mentioned at the beginning of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were several initial opinions of Thompson given by various characters. Discuss the opinions of each. Which was the most accurate? Was the opinion based on fact, intuition, or prejudice? Do you think Thompson was aware of these opinions? If so, what did she think?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of Mrs. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the main setting in the story, the final destination, and any unusual occurrences that happen on the way. How might the story have turned out differently if the measles outbreak had not occurred?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)