Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Davidson go to visit?
2. Which character is accustomed to getting his/her own way?
3. Where will the group be forced to stay?
4. What is the occupation of Alec Macphail?
5. The inhabitants on the island do not celebrate or practice _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What event takes place in the morning? What is Macphail's part?
2. What is displeasing about the rooms rented by Horn?
3. What advice is given to Macphail by Mrs. Davidson?
4. What do the travelers do after disembarking from the ship?
5. What is the outcome of the meeting? What is Davidson's reaction?
6. What happens when Davidson storms into Thompson's room?
7. What is the outcome of Davidson's visit with the governor?
8. Where are the travelers headed in this part of the story?
9. What does Macphail see on his way to the wharf?
10. What bad news is brought by Davidson?
Essay Topic 1
Thompson had a plan to go to Australia. The plan was thwarted by Davidson's intervention with the governor. Discuss the steps taken by Davidson as well as his reasons. Explain the reaction of the governor. What was Thompson's reaction to the news of her foiled plan? What did Thompson do to try and reverse the decision?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personalities and characteristics of Mrs. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Davidson's various approaches with Thompson throughout the story. Which was the most effective? Which was the most ineffective? What could Davidson have done differently that would have changed the outcome of the story? What might you have done in Davidson's place?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)