Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Davidson go to visit?
2. Which character is accustomed to getting his/her own way?
3. Where will the group be forced to stay?
4. What is the occupation of Alec Macphail?
5. The inhabitants on the island do not celebrate or practice _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What event takes place in the morning? What is Macphail's part?
2. What is displeasing about the rooms rented by Horn?
3. What advice is given to Macphail by Mrs. Davidson?
4. What do the travelers do after disembarking from the ship?
5. What is the outcome of the meeting? What is Davidson's reaction?
6. What happens when Davidson storms into Thompson's room?
7. What is the outcome of Davidson's visit with the governor?
8. Where are the travelers headed in this part of the story?
9. What does Macphail see on his way to the wharf?
10. What bad news is brought by Davidson?
Rain obviously plays a large part in the story. Explain Maugham's use of rain and related metaphors. How did the rain affect the various characters in the story? What might have changed if the weather had been more agreeable? How did the weather affect the future of the travelers? How did it affect the personalities and moods of the characters? How are you affected by prolonged bouts of rain?
Give an overview of the personality of Horn. What is unusual about the man? What about Horn contradicts the appearance the man chooses to present? What is the collective opinion of the travelers about Horn? What is Horn's status in the community?
When did Davidson begin to change? What precipitated the change? Was Davidson simply reacting to his surroundings, manipulation or ego? Explain. What did the others think of the drastic change?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)