Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Davidson go to visit?
2. Which character is accustomed to getting his/her own way?
3. Where will the group be forced to stay?
4. What is the occupation of Alec Macphail?
5. The inhabitants on the island do not celebrate or practice _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What event takes place in the morning? What is Macphail's part?
2. What is displeasing about the rooms rented by Horn?
3. What advice is given to Macphail by Mrs. Davidson?
4. What do the travelers do after disembarking from the ship?
5. What is the outcome of the meeting? What is Davidson's reaction?
6. What happens when Davidson storms into Thompson's room?
7. What is the outcome of Davidson's visit with the governor?
8. Where are the travelers headed in this part of the story?
9. What does Macphail see on his way to the wharf?
10. What bad news is brought by Davidson?
At the end of the story it is clear that Davidson was manipulated by Thompson. Explain in detail what Thompson did to Davidson and the results of those actions. What was Thompson's goal? Was the goal achieved? What might Thompson do next?
The Davidsons like to assert their authority and thrust their opinions onto others. Examine the authority the couple has as missionaries. Is the authority legal or implied? If not legal, why do people comply? What is the typical reaction of those on the receiving end of Davidson's preaching?
Explain Davidson's various approaches with Thompson throughout the story. Which was the most effective? Which was the most ineffective? What could Davidson have done differently that would have changed the outcome of the story? What might you have done in Davidson's place?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)