|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which activity is not one indulged in by the passengers?
2. What is Mrs. Macphail's opinion of the Davidsons?
3. What adjective is used by Mrs. Davidson to describe the inhabitants?
4. What do the Davidsons have over the Macphails?
5. With whom does Davidson argue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who lives in the area above the trader's store?
2. What is the mode of transportation mentioned at the beginning of the story?
3. What invitation is issued after the matter is settled?
4. What is the basis of the argument? What is the outcome?
5. What was one of the accomplishments the Davidsons managed to achieve in their last district?
6. Briefly describe the personality of Dr. Macphail.
7. During the conversation between Dr. Macphail and Mrs. Davidson, the woman announces she is grateful for what regarding the island?
8. What interrupts and annoys the travelers during high tea?
9. What is the outcome of Davidson's visit with the governor?
10. In what part of the world does the story take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the story it is clear that Davidson was manipulated by Thompson. Explain in detail what Thompson did to Davidson and the results of those actions. What was Thompson's goal? Was the goal achieved? What might Thompson do next?
Essay Topic 2
When did Davidson begin to change? What precipitated the change? Was Davidson simply reacting to his surroundings, manipulation or ego? Explain. What did the others think of the drastic change?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Davidson commit suicide? What was Macphail's assessment of the way in which Davidson chose to do it? What is your opinion? What other options might Davidson have exercised rather than suicide? Would there have been a less painful way to do it? Explain.
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)