|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the estimated year?
2. At this point in the story, how far away from port is the ship?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 8 days.
(d) 4 hours.
3. What is the occupation of Alec Macphail?
4. What word might Macphail use to describe Davidson's tactics?
5. Who supposedly lives at the ship's destination?
(a) No one.
(b) European settlers.
(c) Christian school children.
(d) Island natives.
6. What type of attitude is attributed to Macphail?
(b) Hell hath no fury.
(c) Live and let live.
7. Who does Davidson go to visit?
(a) Travel agent.
(b) Charter service.
(c) Newspaper office.
(d) Island governor.
8. The inhabitants on the island do not celebrate or practice _____________.
(c) American holidays.
9. How many people converse with Macphail?
10. What object does Davidson attempt to break?
(b) Tea pot.
11. To whom is Mr. Davidson compared?
(b) Attila the Hun.
12. How does Mrs. Davidson feel about Mr. Davidson?
(a) Fears him.
(b) Idolizes him.
(c) Loathes him.
(d) Tolerates him.
13. Which word best describes Thompson's figure?
14. Which character is introduced in this section?
(a) Miss Thompson.
(b) Reverend Swank.
(c) Mrs. Ferguson.
(d) Mr. Horn.
15. Who lives above the store?
(a) Horn and his family.
(b) No one.
(c) Drifter named Bob.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is enamored of Thompson?
2. Name one theme in the story thus far?
3. From what ailment is Macphail recovering?
4. Which location turns out to be the main setting in the story?
5. With whom does Macphail have dinner?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)