Lines 1 - 47
* Story begins aboard a passenger ship.
* Ship is in the South Pacific Ocean.
* Ships destination is the Samoan Islands.
* Reader is introduced to Dr. and Mrs. Macphail.
* The Macphails talk about the Davidsons.
* Dr. Macphail is recovering from a war wound. Time is established, circa 1919.
Lines 48 - 179
* Dr. Macphail spots an island.
* Reader is introduced to Mrs. Davidson.
* Mrs. Davidson expresses opinions about the morality of the natives.
* The reader learns that the Davidsons are missionaries.
* It begins to rain.
* Maugham describes the personalities of the characters.
Lines 180 - 259
* The travelers go ashore.
* Davidson informs the group that there has been an outbreak of measles.
* The group will be confined to Pago Pago for ten days.
* There are no hotels in Pago Pago.
* Travelers take refuge above the local trading post.
* The reader is introduced to Horn.
* The reader is introduced to Thompson.
Lines 260 - 305
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)