Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Lines 1 - 47 Abstract
* Story begins aboard a passenger ship.
* Ship is in the South Pacific Ocean.
* Ships destination is the Samoan Islands.
Lines 48 - 179 Abstract
* Reader is introduced to Dr. and Mrs. Macphail.
Lines 180 - 259 Abstract
* The Macphails talk about the Davidsons.
* Dr. Macphail is recovering from a war wound. Time is established, circa 1919.
Lines 260 - 305 Abstract
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)