Lines 1 - 47
• Story begins aboard a passenger ship.
• Ship is in the South Pacific Ocean.
• Ships destination is the Samoan Islands.
• Reader is introduced to Dr. and Mrs. Macphail.
• The Macphails talk about the Davidsons.
• Dr. Macphail is recovering from a war wound. Time is established, circa 1919.
Lines 48 - 179
• Dr. Macphail spots an island.
• Reader is introduced to Mrs. Davidson.
• Mrs. Davidson expresses opinions about the morality of the natives.
• The reader learns that the Davidsons are missionaries.
• It begins to rain.
• Maugham describes the personalities of the characters.
Lines 180 - 259
• The travelers go ashore.
• Davidson informs the group that there has been an outbreak of measles.
• The group will be confined to Pago Pago for ten days.
• There are no hotels in Pago Pago.
• Travelers take refuge above the local trading post.
• The reader is introduced to Horn.
• The reader is introduced to Thompson.
Lines 260 - 305
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)