|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Lupe and her sisters refused pay when they are working in the fields?
2. Why do the Mexican workers work under such horrible conditions?
3. Where in California is Juan headed to see his sick mother?
4. What are the men barbecuing at the reception?
5. What ethnic background are the two men that stole Juan's money and cut his face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two men that stole Juan's money do to his car the day of the Cinco de Mayo parade?
2. How does a bull horn and some mercury help Victoriano collect gold quicker?
3. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
4. Why does Sophia organize a strike and what is the outcome?
5. What are the costs of the strike to Lupe and her sisters?
6. How does Juan feel when he sees Lupe with Mark?
7. Why does Dona Margarita not want Domingo to be the one to ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
8. What has Lupe told Salvador about marriage that Dona Margarita says is true?
9. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
10. When Juan visits his mother at church dressed like a woman, what information does she share with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define what a back-story is in literature and the purpose it serves. Please provide one example of a back-story that can be found in "Rain of Gold" and give your opinion on whether or not this back-story meets all the qualifications of an acceptable back-story.
Essay Topic 2
Please define what characterization is and its purpose in a literary work, as well as the two specific types of characterization reviewed in class. Give three examples from the novel of the author's use of characterization (you may use the book for this essay question). Please use specific quotes or samples from the book that show characterization.
Essay Topic 3
The lack of women's rights can be seen through the strike in chapter 19, section 5. Please explain why this is a good example of the lack of women's rights, what was done in response to that lack of rights, and what the outcome of the situation was. Do you agree or disagree with the way this matter is handled?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)