|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Archie's wedding gift to Salvador?
2. When Lupe first sees Juan, what is it about him that disgusts her?
3. Is the strike successful?
4. Where does Salvador take Lupe so they can be more alone?
5. When Juan escapes from prison, which state does he eventually end up in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salvador get out of jail in Chapter 23?
2. How does Dona Margarita cause a commotion at Salvador's wedding?
3. How does Salvador ask Lupe for her hand in marriage?
4. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
5. How does Juan come to learn how to make liquor?
6. How do Archie and Domingo meet and become friends?
7. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
8. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands regarding Sophia?
9. How does Salvador react when a friend who refused to lend him money when he needed it stops by his house a few days before the wedding?
10. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please compare and contrast Lupe's relationship with Mark, and Lupe's relationship with Salvador. What are her initial feelings toward both men? Do her feelings for the men change as she spends more time with them? If so, how do her feelings change?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does setting have in a literary work? What are some ways or means though which setting is established in this novel? Please provide three examples of settings that can be found in this story.
Essay Topic 3
Religion is seen throughout the story. What role does religion play in this novel and in the lives of the characters in the story? Please provide two to four examples of the role or purpose of religion in the story and in the lives of the characters.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)