|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the newlyweds talk about when they sneak off to be alone?
2. What does Archie want in return for helping Juan to start over with a new life and new name?
3. What does Juan make his nephews do to teach them a lesson for their misbehavior toward their teacher?
4. What is Dona Margarita doing when Salvador finds her to tell her about his engagement?
5. What household item does Salvador break at Lupe's house by falling on it?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
2. What do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher, and what punishment does Juan give them?
3. When Juan visits his mother at church dressed like a woman, what information does she share with him?
4. How does the priest act when asking for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
5. How does Juan feel when he sees Lupe with Mark?
6. What are the circumstances in which Lupe first sees Juan, and what does she think of him?
7. How does Salvador react when a friend who refused to lend him money when he needed it stops by his house a few days before the wedding?
8. How do Archie and Domingo meet and become friends?
9. Why does Sophia organize a strike and what is the outcome?
10. What do the two men that stole Juan's money do to his car the day of the Cinco de Mayo parade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please define the two major reasons that so many Mexican residents, such as Lupe and her family, immigrated to the United States during the early 1900s. Please provide examples from the story. What are those who left Mexico for the U.S. looking for upon arriving in America? What do they find?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the difference between major and minor characters, the purpose for each in a work of fiction, and provide three examples (if possible) for minor and major characters.
Essay Topic 3
What purpose does setting have in a literary work? What are some ways or means though which setting is established in this novel? Please provide three examples of settings that can be found in this story.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)