|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Salvador ask to formally ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on his behalf?
2. Why are Juan and Epitacio thrown into jail?
3. What does Juan's mother make him promise?
4. What does Archie allow Juan to do at his gambling hall during the Festival of the Stringbeans?
5. What ethnic background are the two men that stole Juan's money and cut his face?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Salvador and Domingo end up in jail in Chapter 23?
2. How does Juan feel when he sees Lupe with Mark?
3. When Juan visits his mother at church dressed like a woman, what information does she share with him?
4. Why does Dona Margarita want to go to Chicago, and what do others think about this?
5. What has Lupe told Salvador about marriage that Dona Margarita says is true?
6. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
7. How does Juan come to learn how to make liquor?
8. What happens to Juan when two men try to take his gambling winnings in California?
9. How does Salvador get out of jail in Chapter 23?
10. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Racism against those of Mexican descent is seen in various parts of this story. Please provide at least three examples where racism against Mexicans is seen. Who is the racist party? On the other side, please provide at least three examples of individuals who seem to ignore the racial differences between themselves and those of Mexican heritage.
Essay Topic 2
Gold and wealth is a topic that is seen throughout the novel. Please describe the role of gold and/or money (wealth) in the following stages of the story: 1) In the village life of La Lluvia de Oro and those who lived there, 2) In the case of those trying to travel to the U.S. in order to leave Mexico, and 3) In the lives of Lupe's family and Salvador's family after arriving in the United States. Please note the role that money/gold or the lack of money/gold played in each of these situations.
Essay Topic 3
Please define conflict in a literary work. What are the four types of conflict studied in class? Please define these conflicts and provide examples of two of them as evident in the novel.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)