|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings toward Salvador?
2. Why is Juan demoted his second day at the rock quarry?
3. What does Mark's uncle offer Lupe?
4. Because of their efforts in starting a strike, what happens to Lupe and her sisters as employees?
5. Who comes to bail Salvador out of prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
2. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
3. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
4. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
5. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
6. How does Salvador ask Lupe for her hand in marriage?
7. What do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher, and what punishment does Juan give them?
8. How does a bull horn and some mercury help Victoriano collect gold quicker?
9. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands regarding Sophia?
10. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is narrative mode? Please describe the three main types of narrative mode. What narrative mode(s) are used in "Rain of Gold? Please provide an example of this narrative mode.
Essay Topic 2
Please define the two major reasons that so many Mexican residents, such as Lupe and her family, immigrated to the United States during the early 1900s. Please provide examples from the story. What are those who left Mexico for the U.S. looking for upon arriving in America? What do they find?
Essay Topic 3
Gold and wealth is a topic that is seen throughout the novel. Please describe the role of gold and/or money (wealth) in the following stages of the story: 1) In the village life of La Lluvia de Oro and those who lived there, 2) In the case of those trying to travel to the U.S. in order to leave Mexico, and 3) In the lives of Lupe's family and Salvador's family after arriving in the United States. Please note the role that money/gold or the lack of money/gold played in each of these situations.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)