|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Juan sneak back into the U.S. just days after he has left to return to Mexico?
2. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands about his daughter Sophia?
3. What excuse does Epitacio give Juan for leaving him back in Douglas, Arizona when they were younger?
4. Who helps Salvador choose a ring for Lupe?
5. What does Rose-Mary say to Lupe as she is headed to meet Salvador's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Archie and Domingo meet and become friends?
2. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
3. What role does Archie play at the wedding reception?
4. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
5. How does Salvador get out of jail in Chapter 23?
6. How does Salvador ask Lupe for her hand in marriage?
7. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
8. Why does Dona Margarita not want Domingo to be the one to ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
9. What are the circumstances in which Lupe first sees Juan, and what does she think of him?
10. How does Dona Margarita cause a commotion at Salvador's wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is narrative mode? Please describe the three main types of narrative mode. What narrative mode(s) are used in "Rain of Gold? Please provide an example of this narrative mode.
Essay Topic 2
Gold and wealth is a topic that is seen throughout the novel. Please describe the role of gold and/or money (wealth) in the following stages of the story: 1) In the village life of La Lluvia de Oro and those who lived there, 2) In the case of those trying to travel to the U.S. in order to leave Mexico, and 3) In the lives of Lupe's family and Salvador's family after arriving in the United States. Please note the role that money/gold or the lack of money/gold played in each of these situations.
Essay Topic 3
What purpose does setting have in a literary work? What are some ways or means though which setting is established in this novel? Please provide three examples of settings that can be found in this story.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)