|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Archie's wedding gift to Salvador?
2. Where does Dona Margarita decide to go in order to find her son Domingo?
3. What animal is hanging from the tree near the ruins of Don Manuel's store?
4. What does Archie allow Juan to do at his gambling hall during the Festival of the Stringbeans?
5. What state is the priest in when Salvador goes to find him to formerly propose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
2. Why does Dona Margarita want to go to Chicago, and what do others think about this?
3. What do the two men that stole Juan's money do to his car the day of the Cinco de Mayo parade?
4. How does Salvador react when a friend who refused to lend him money when he needed it stops by his house a few days before the wedding?
5. How does Juan come to learn how to make liquor?
6. What are the circumstances in which Lupe first sees Juan, and what does she think of him?
7. What role does Archie play at the wedding reception?
8. How do Salvador and Domingo end up in jail in Chapter 23?
9. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
10. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe what a plot is in a piece of literature and what the various stages of a plot are. Please provide specific examples from the book of three of the stages of the plot (you can choose any three stages you would like).
Essay Topic 2
Please explain what foreshadowing is in a literary work. Provide two examples that you believe show foreshadowing in the story "Rain of Gold". In your opinion, is foreshadowing a helpful literary technique? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Define what a back-story is in literature and the purpose it serves. Please provide one example of a back-story that can be found in "Rain of Gold" and give your opinion on whether or not this back-story meets all the qualifications of an acceptable back-story.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)