|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the barrel of whiskey located at the reception?
2. What new name does Juan take for himself?
3. What ethnic background are the two men that stole Juan's money and cut his face?
4. When Juan escapes from prison, which state does he eventually end up in?
5. Where does Salvador take Lupe so they can be more alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salvador ask Lupe for her hand in marriage?
2. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
3. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
4. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
5. What role does Archie play at the wedding reception?
6. What do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher, and what punishment does Juan give them?
7. Why does Dona Margarita not want Domingo to be the one to ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
8. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
9. What do the two men that stole Juan's money do to his car the day of the Cinco de Mayo parade?
10. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please provide a brief summary and history of Prohibition in the United States. What role does Prohibition play in this novel and which character(s) is most directly affected by Prohibition?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain what foreshadowing is in a literary work. Provide two examples that you believe show foreshadowing in the story "Rain of Gold". In your opinion, is foreshadowing a helpful literary technique? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Please define conflict in a literary work. What are the four types of conflict studied in class? Please define these conflicts and provide examples of two of them as evident in the novel.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)