|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city is Archie's gambling hall located?
2. Who does the priest accidentally call "Maria", while asking for Lupe's hand in marriage?
3. What is Lupe's initial reaction when she learns of Mark's strong desire to marry her?
4. Why is Juan demoted his second day at the rock quarry?
5. What does Archie allow Juan to do at his gambling hall during the Festival of the Stringbeans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dona Margarita cause a commotion at Salvador's wedding?
2. How does Salvador ask Lupe for her hand in marriage?
3. What has Lupe told Salvador about marriage that Dona Margarita says is true?
4. When Juan visits his mother at church dressed like a woman, what information does she share with him?
5. What do the two men that stole Juan's money do to his car the day of the Cinco de Mayo parade?
6. Why does Sophia organize a strike and what is the outcome?
7. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
8. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
9. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
10. How does Salvador get out of jail in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is seen throughout the story. What role does religion play in this novel and in the lives of the characters in the story? Please provide two to four examples of the role or purpose of religion in the story and in the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Please describe what a plot is in a piece of literature and what the various stages of a plot are. Please provide specific examples from the book of three of the stages of the plot (you can choose any three stages you would like).
Essay Topic 3
Please describe what purpose tone plays in a novel, what/where tone is seen or conveyed in a novel, and provide three examples of tone in the story.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)