|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
2. Because he is not bailed out, how many years in prison does Domingo get?
3. Why does Juan agree to confess to a murder he did not commit?
4. What is inside the metal box that Sophia finds in her fireplace?
5. Because of their efforts in starting a strike, what happens to Lupe and her sisters as employees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Archie play at the wedding reception?
2. How does Salvador react when a friend who refused to lend him money when he needed it stops by his house a few days before the wedding?
3. How does Salvador ask Lupe for her hand in marriage?
4. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
5. What do the two men that stole Juan's money do to his car the day of the Cinco de Mayo parade?
6. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
7. Why does Sophia organize a strike and what is the outcome?
8. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
9. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
10. How does Juan come to learn how to make liquor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please define what a plot twist is in a novel. Provide one main example of a plot twist that can be found in this story, and how it changed the direction of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Racism against those of Mexican descent is seen in various parts of this story. Please provide at least three examples where racism against Mexicans is seen. Who is the racist party? On the other side, please provide at least three examples of individuals who seem to ignore the racial differences between themselves and those of Mexican heritage.
Essay Topic 3
Gold and wealth is a topic that is seen throughout the novel. Please describe the role of gold and/or money (wealth) in the following stages of the story: 1) In the village life of La Lluvia de Oro and those who lived there, 2) In the case of those trying to travel to the U.S. in order to leave Mexico, and 3) In the lives of Lupe's family and Salvador's family after arriving in the United States. Please note the role that money/gold or the lack of money/gold played in each of these situations.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)