|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dona Margarita name her son Juan Salvador?
2. Besides being the owners of a gambling hall, what other prominent position does Archie Freeman hold?
3. What excuse does Epitacio give Juan for leaving him back in Douglas, Arizona when they were younger?
4. After some time in California, Juan comes to realize that Mexicans are viewed there as what?
5. What tips Juan off that there is a trap waiting for him at the hotel where he is supposed to sell his bootleg liquor?
Essay Topic 1
Please define conflict in a literary work. What are the four types of conflict studied in class? Please define these conflicts and provide examples of two of them as evident in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Please define what characterization is and its purpose in a literary work, as well as the two specific types of characterization reviewed in class. Give three examples from the novel of the author's use of characterization (you may use the book for this essay question). Please use specific quotes or samples from the book that show characterization.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe what purpose tone plays in a novel, what/where tone is seen or conveyed in a novel, and provide three examples of tone in the story.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)