|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juan's mother make him promise?
2. Why does Dona Margarita disapprove of Domingo and Nellie's relationship?
3. How many days does the strike last?
4. What state is the priest in when Salvador goes to find him to formerly propose?
5. Is the strike successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dona Margarita cause a commotion at Salvador's wedding?
2. How does Juan feel when he sees Lupe with Mark?
3. What has Lupe told Salvador about marriage that Dona Margarita says is true?
4. How does Salvador ask Lupe for her hand in marriage?
5. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
6. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
7. How do Archie and Domingo meet and become friends?
8. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
9. Why does Dona Margarita want to go to Chicago, and what do others think about this?
10. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gold and wealth is a topic that is seen throughout the novel. Please describe the role of gold and/or money (wealth) in the following stages of the story: 1) In the village life of La Lluvia de Oro and those who lived there, 2) In the case of those trying to travel to the U.S. in order to leave Mexico, and 3) In the lives of Lupe's family and Salvador's family after arriving in the United States. Please note the role that money/gold or the lack of money/gold played in each of these situations.
Essay Topic 2
Please define the two major reasons that so many Mexican residents, such as Lupe and her family, immigrated to the United States during the early 1900s. Please provide examples from the story. What are those who left Mexico for the U.S. looking for upon arriving in America? What do they find?
Essay Topic 3
Please define what a plot twist is in a novel. Provide one main example of a plot twist that can be found in this story, and how it changed the direction of the plot.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)