|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is the strike successful?
2. What do the newlyweds talk about when they sneak off to be alone?
3. Besides being the owners of a gambling hall, what other prominent position does Archie Freeman hold?
4. What area are Lupe and her sisters working in when they decide to strike?
5. What is Dona Margarita doing when Salvador finds her to tell her about his engagement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
2. How does Juan feel when he sees Lupe with Mark?
3. When Juan visits his mother at church dressed like a woman, what information does she share with him?
4. How does a bull horn and some mercury help Victoriano collect gold quicker?
5. What role does Archie play at the wedding reception?
6. How do Archie and Domingo meet and become friends?
7. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
8. How does Juan come to learn how to make liquor?
9. What has Lupe told Salvador about marriage that Dona Margarita says is true?
10. How does Salvador get out of jail in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please define what a plot twist is in a novel. Provide one main example of a plot twist that can be found in this story, and how it changed the direction of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Racism against those of Mexican descent is seen in various parts of this story. Please provide at least three examples where racism against Mexicans is seen. Who is the racist party? On the other side, please provide at least three examples of individuals who seem to ignore the racial differences between themselves and those of Mexican heritage.
Essay Topic 3
What purpose does setting have in a literary work? What are some ways or means though which setting is established in this novel? Please provide three examples of settings that can be found in this story.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)