|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dona Margarita disapprove of Domingo and Nellie's relationship?
2. Who comes to bail Salvador out of prison?
3. What new name does Juan take for himself?
4. What is the name of the mine where Juan and Epitacio work in Arizona?
5. How does Lupe respond when Salvador asks her to dance at the dance hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
2. How does Salvador ask Lupe for her hand in marriage?
3. What are the circumstances in which Lupe first sees Juan, and what does she think of him?
4. How does Salvador react when a friend who refused to lend him money when he needed it stops by his house a few days before the wedding?
5. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
6. Why does Dona Margarita want to go to Chicago, and what do others think about this?
7. What do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher, and what punishment does Juan give them?
8. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
9. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
10. What do the two men that stole Juan's money do to his car the day of the Cinco de Mayo parade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please compare and contrast Lupe's relationship with Mark, and Lupe's relationship with Salvador. What are her initial feelings toward both men? Do her feelings for the men change as she spends more time with them? If so, how do her feelings change?
Essay Topic 2
Racism against those of Mexican descent is seen in various parts of this story. Please provide at least three examples where racism against Mexicans is seen. Who is the racist party? On the other side, please provide at least three examples of individuals who seem to ignore the racial differences between themselves and those of Mexican heritage.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe what a plot is in a piece of literature and what the various stages of a plot are. Please provide specific examples from the book of three of the stages of the plot (you can choose any three stages you would like).
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)