|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
2. Who is the young man who asks to walk Lupe home from the library and carry her books?
3. Why does Dona Margarita name her son Juan Salvador?
4. Who brings a barrel of whiskey to the reception?
5. How do Domingo and Salvador end up in jail in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dona Margarita not want Domingo to be the one to ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
2. What do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher, and what punishment does Juan give them?
3. How do Salvador and Domingo end up in jail in Chapter 23?
4. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
5. How does a bull horn and some mercury help Victoriano collect gold quicker?
6. How does Salvador get out of jail in Chapter 23?
7. Why does Dona Margarita want to go to Chicago, and what do others think about this?
8. What happens to Juan when two men try to take his gambling winnings in California?
9. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands regarding Sophia?
10. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is used in this story. Please provide on example of how the author attempted to use symbolism in this story. Do you think that the author's attempts at symbolism are successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Please define what characterization is and its purpose in a literary work, as well as the two specific types of characterization reviewed in class. Give three examples from the novel of the author's use of characterization (you may use the book for this essay question). Please use specific quotes or samples from the book that show characterization.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe what a plot is in a piece of literature and what the various stages of a plot are. Please provide specific examples from the book of three of the stages of the plot (you can choose any three stages you would like).
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)