|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Juan sneak back into the U.S. just days after he has left to return to Mexico?
2. When the Mexicans demand better working conditions at the rock quarry, what do they get?
3. How much does Lupe's engagement ring cost Salvador?
4. Where is the barrel of whiskey located at the reception?
5. What does Victoriano use to funnel the gold he has found to speed up the collection process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please provide a brief summary and history of Prohibition in the United States. What role does Prohibition play in this novel and which character(s) is most directly affected by Prohibition?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe what purpose tone plays in a novel, what/where tone is seen or conveyed in a novel, and provide three examples of tone in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Please define the two major reasons that so many Mexican residents, such as Lupe and her family, immigrated to the United States during the early 1900s. Please provide examples from the story. What are those who left Mexico for the U.S. looking for upon arriving in America? What do they find?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)