|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lupe embarrassed to drive a car in front of the other workers at the apricot fields?
2. Is the strike successful?
3. What ethnic background are the two men that stole Juan's money and cut his face?
4. What topic do Dona Margarita's two sons begin to fight over as they are talking and catching up?
5. What are the men barbecuing at the reception?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Juan come to learn how to make liquor?
2. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
3. What has Lupe told Salvador about marriage that Dona Margarita says is true?
4. How does Salvador react when a friend who refused to lend him money when he needed it stops by his house a few days before the wedding?
5. How does Salvador get out of jail in Chapter 23?
6. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
7. What do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher, and what punishment does Juan give them?
8. Why does Sophia organize a strike and what is the outcome?
9. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands regarding Sophia?
10. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please provide a brief summary and history of Prohibition in the United States. What role does Prohibition play in this novel and which character(s) is most directly affected by Prohibition?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the difference between major and minor characters, the purpose for each in a work of fiction, and provide three examples (if possible) for minor and major characters.
Essay Topic 3
Please define conflict in a literary work. What are the four types of conflict studied in class? Please define these conflicts and provide examples of two of them as evident in the novel.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)