|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ethnic background are the two men that stole Juan's money and cut his face?
2. What does Archie want in return for helping Juan to start over with a new life and new name?
3. What household item does Salvador break at Lupe's house by falling on it?
4. What new name does Juan take for himself?
5. Besides being the owners of a gambling hall, what other prominent position does Archie Freeman hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Juan visits his mother at church dressed like a woman, what information does she share with him?
2. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
3. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands regarding Sophia?
4. How does Juan come to learn how to make liquor?
5. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
6. What do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher, and what punishment does Juan give them?
7. Why does Dona Margarita want to go to Chicago, and what do others think about this?
8. What role does Archie play at the wedding reception?
9. How do Salvador and Domingo end up in jail in Chapter 23?
10. How does a bull horn and some mercury help Victoriano collect gold quicker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difference between major and minor characters, the purpose for each in a work of fiction, and provide three examples (if possible) for minor and major characters.
Essay Topic 2
Define a protagonist and an antagonist and their roles in a piece of literary fiction. Please provide two examples of of protagonists in this story and state who their antagonist is, and what the situation/relationship of opposition is between the protagonist and the antagonist you choose.
Essay Topic 3
Please compare and contrast Lupe's relationship with Mark, and Lupe's relationship with Salvador. What are her initial feelings toward both men? Do her feelings for the men change as she spends more time with them? If so, how do her feelings change?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)