|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one condition that Dona Guadalupe sets on the acceptance of Salvador's proposal?
2. Why does Luisa refuse to go to Salvador and Lupe's wedding?
3. After Sophia's husband dies, where does she leave to go to?
4. What area are Lupe and her sisters working in when they decide to strike?
5. Who does Salvador ask to formally ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on his behalf?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Archie and Domingo meet and become friends?
2. What do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher, and what punishment does Juan give them?
3. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
4. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
5. How does Juan come to learn how to make liquor?
6. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
7. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
8. What do the two men that stole Juan's money do to his car the day of the Cinco de Mayo parade?
9. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
10. How does Salvador react when a friend who refused to lend him money when he needed it stops by his house a few days before the wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please define conflict in a literary work. What are the four types of conflict studied in class? Please define these conflicts and provide examples of two of them as evident in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Define a protagonist and an antagonist and their roles in a piece of literary fiction. Please provide two examples of of protagonists in this story and state who their antagonist is, and what the situation/relationship of opposition is between the protagonist and the antagonist you choose.
Essay Topic 3
Please compare and contrast the idea of courting versus today's idea of dating. What is found in this story? Courting or dating? Please explain the scenario in which courting or dating is found in this story, which characters are involved, and how their courtship ends.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)