|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new name does Juan take for himself?
2. How old is Juan when he is sent to prison?
3. What does Mark's uncle offer Lupe?
4. What area are Lupe and her sisters working in when they decide to strike?
5. Why are Lupe and her sisters refused pay when they are working in the fields?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
2. What are the circumstances in which Lupe first sees Juan, and what does she think of him?
3. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
4. How does Salvador ask Lupe for her hand in marriage?
5. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands regarding Sophia?
6. When Juan visits his mother at church dressed like a woman, what information does she share with him?
7. How do Archie and Domingo meet and become friends?
8. How does the priest act when asking for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
9. Why does Sophia organize a strike and what is the outcome?
10. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is seen throughout the story. What role does religion play in this novel and in the lives of the characters in the story? Please provide two to four examples of the role or purpose of religion in the story and in the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Please define the two major reasons that so many Mexican residents, such as Lupe and her family, immigrated to the United States during the early 1900s. Please provide examples from the story. What are those who left Mexico for the U.S. looking for upon arriving in America? What do they find?
Essay Topic 3
Please compare and contrast Lupe's relationship with Mark, and Lupe's relationship with Salvador. What are her initial feelings toward both men? Do her feelings for the men change as she spends more time with them? If so, how do her feelings change?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)