|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dream do Lupe and Juan share?
2. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
3. What do the newlyweds talk about when they sneak off to be alone?
4. What does Dona Margarita tell Salvador she needs to do right as the ceremony is about to start?
5. What is Lupe's initial reaction when she learns of Mark's strong desire to marry her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salvador get out of jail in Chapter 23?
2. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
3. What has Lupe told Salvador about marriage that Dona Margarita says is true?
4. What are the circumstances in which Lupe first sees Juan, and what does she think of him?
5. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
6. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
7. What role does Archie play at the wedding reception?
8. How does the priest act when asking for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
9. Why does Sophia organize a strike and what is the outcome?
10. How does Juan come to learn how to make liquor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define a protagonist and an antagonist and their roles in a piece of literary fiction. Please provide two examples of of protagonists in this story and state who their antagonist is, and what the situation/relationship of opposition is between the protagonist and the antagonist you choose.
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does setting have in a literary work? What are some ways or means though which setting is established in this novel? Please provide three examples of settings that can be found in this story.
Essay Topic 3
Please define conflict in a literary work. What are the four types of conflict studied in class? Please define these conflicts and provide examples of two of them as evident in the novel.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)