|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Juan when he is sent to prison?
2. When Juan escapes from prison, which state does he eventually end up in?
3. What topic do Dona Margarita's two sons begin to fight over as they are talking and catching up?
4. Is the strike successful?
5. Why does Juan sneak back into the U.S. just days after he has left to return to Mexico?
Essay Topic 1
Racism against those of Mexican descent is seen in various parts of this story. Please provide at least three examples where racism against Mexicans is seen. Who is the racist party? On the other side, please provide at least three examples of individuals who seem to ignore the racial differences between themselves and those of Mexican heritage.
Essay Topic 2
Define a protagonist and an antagonist and their roles in a piece of literary fiction. Please provide two examples of of protagonists in this story and state who their antagonist is, and what the situation/relationship of opposition is between the protagonist and the antagonist you choose.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used in this story. Please provide on example of how the author attempted to use symbolism in this story. Do you think that the author's attempts at symbolism are successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)