|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is most of the good firewood found?
2. Where does Guadalupe work when her husband leaves her?
3. What horrible thing has happened to Juan's sister Emilia?
4. What does Don Victor tell Lupe that makes her resent him?
5. What special gift has Don Victor brought for Sophia to wear in her wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Five, why does La Liebre want Dona Guadalupe's family captured and killed? Why doesn't this happen?
2. Where does Juan look to gather firewood to sell?
3. How does Guadalupe come to live with Leonides Camargo?
4. What events lead to the death of Don Tiburcio?
5. What happens to the village and to Dona Guadalupe when the mine is closed?
6. What is Don Manuel's behavior when he comes to perform at Sophia's wedding, and why?
7. What does Juan tell God when he is collecting firewood?
8. What is Don Victor's plan to raise enough money for his family to leave for America? How long will this project take?
9. What is the condition that the townspeople put on collecting the gold from the spring?
10. What does the midwife tell Lupe about pain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define what a back-story is in literature and the purpose it serves. Please provide one example of a back-story that can be found in "Rain of Gold" and give your opinion on whether or not this back-story meets all the qualifications of an acceptable back-story.
Essay Topic 2
Please define conflict in a literary work. What are the four types of conflict studied in class? Please define these conflicts and provide examples of two of them as evident in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Please define what characterization is and its purpose in a literary work, as well as the two specific types of characterization reviewed in class. Give three examples from the novel of the author's use of characterization (you may use the book for this essay question). Please use specific quotes or samples from the book that show characterization.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)