|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Juan Salvador's youngest brother?
2. Who does the second owner sell the mine to?
3. What does Dona Guadalupe want to do with her share of the gold that they have found?
4. What special gift has Don Victor brought for Sophia to wear in her wedding?
5. Why does the first owner sell the spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Victoriano done to upset La Liebre?
2. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
3. What events lead to the death of Don Tiburcio?
4. Why do Juan and Eduardo miss the train?
5. According to Chapter One, what is "Rain of Gold" about and in what time period does it take place?
6. What happens to the village and to Dona Guadalupe when the mine is closed?
7. What does Lupe do with the Colonel's gray coat that Socorro throws out?
8. How does Guadalupe come to live with Leonides Camargo?
9. Why does Socorro leave to go to the lowlands, and what is Victoriano's response?
10. Under what circumstances does Guadalupe meet Don Victor and marry him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difference between major and minor characters, the purpose for each in a work of fiction, and provide three examples (if possible) for minor and major characters.
Essay Topic 2
What is narrative mode? Please describe the three main types of narrative mode. What narrative mode(s) are used in "Rain of Gold? Please provide an example of this narrative mode.
Essay Topic 3
Please provide a brief summary and history of Prohibition in the United States. What role does Prohibition play in this novel and which character(s) is most directly affected by Prohibition?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)