|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special gift has Don Victor brought for Sophia to wear in her wedding?
2. What year does the Mexican Revolution start?
3. What town does Don Victor tell Guadalupe about and convince her to go with him?
4. What is the one condition that Espirito and his people put on the spring when they sell it?
5. Who is Don Juan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lupe do with the Colonel's gray coat that Socorro throws out?
2. What happens to the village and to Dona Guadalupe when the mine is closed?
3. What happens to Victoriano, Ramon, and Don Benito on the day they are planning to blast out the gold?
4. What has Victoriano done to upset La Liebre?
5. What events lead to the death of Don Tiburcio?
6. In Chapter Five, why does La Liebre want Dona Guadalupe's family captured and killed? Why doesn't this happen?
7. What effect does the revolution have on Don Castro's village?
8. Why do Juan and Eduardo miss the train?
9. Why do the Mexican people seem to think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
10. Under what circumstances does Guadalupe meet Don Victor and marry him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please compare and contrast Lupe's relationship with Mark, and Lupe's relationship with Salvador. What are her initial feelings toward both men? Do her feelings for the men change as she spends more time with them? If so, how do her feelings change?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does setting have in a literary work? What are some ways or means though which setting is established in this novel? Please provide three examples of settings that can be found in this story.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used in this story. Please provide on example of how the author attempted to use symbolism in this story. Do you think that the author's attempts at symbolism are successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)