|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Guadalupe work when her husband leaves her?
2. Towards the end of Chapter 7, what do the soldiers do in response to the angry crowds they see in the village?
3. When Juan is talking to God, who does he say he needs help for?
4. At the funeral celebration for Don Benito, who announces that they are getting married?
5. What is in the pack that Don Victor brings on his back upon his return to his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Victoriano, Ramon, and Don Benito on the day they are planning to blast out the gold?
2. What does Lupe's family do for money in Chapter Three?
3. What is Don Victor's plan to raise enough money for his family to leave for America? How long will this project take?
4. What is Lupe supposed to give her teacher on the first day of school?
5. Why do Juan and Eduardo miss the train?
6. What does Juan tell God when he is collecting firewood?
7. What has Victoriano done to upset La Liebre?
8. According to Chapter One, what is "Rain of Gold" about and in what time period does it take place?
9. Why does Socorro leave to go to the lowlands, and what is Victoriano's response?
10. What does the midwife tell Lupe about pain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does setting have in a literary work? What are some ways or means though which setting is established in this novel? Please provide three examples of settings that can be found in this story.
Essay Topic 2
Racism against those of Mexican descent is seen in various parts of this story. Please provide at least three examples where racism against Mexicans is seen. Who is the racist party? On the other side, please provide at least three examples of individuals who seem to ignore the racial differences between themselves and those of Mexican heritage.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used in this story. Please provide on example of how the author attempted to use symbolism in this story. Do you think that the author's attempts at symbolism are successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)