|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which powerful person is killed by Victoriano?
2. Which of Dona Guadalupe's daughters does Don Tiburcio seek to marry?
3. Where does Don Castro set out from when leaving to start a new community?
4. Who has convinced Maria that she should elope?
5. When Lupe first sees Don Victor coming towards the village, what does she think he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is El Paso described the first time Juan and his family see it, and how do they feel upon arriving?
2. What is Don Victor's plan to raise enough money for his family to leave for America? How long will this project take?
3. Why are Juan and his family heading north to El Paso?
4. Why do Juan and Eduardo miss the train?
5. What is Lupe supposed to give her teacher on the first day of school?
6. What is Don Manuel's behavior when he comes to perform at Sophia's wedding, and why?
7. What is the setting like when Socorro is giving birth?
8. What are Don Pio Castro and his brothers looking for when they set out from Mexico City?
9. How does Guadalupe come to live with Leonides Camargo?
10. Why is it so hard for Don Benito to keep the secret that they have discovered gold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difference between major and minor characters, the purpose for each in a work of fiction, and provide three examples (if possible) for minor and major characters.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used in this story. Please provide on example of how the author attempted to use symbolism in this story. Do you think that the author's attempts at symbolism are successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe what purpose tone plays in a novel, what/where tone is seen or conveyed in a novel, and provide three examples of tone in the story.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)