|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young man who is hired by Don Benito to help move rocks and earth from the gold find?
2. Where do Dona Guadalupe and her children hide when the army horsemen come through their canyon?
3. What favor does Senora Munoz ask of Lupe at school one day?
4. Who does the second owner sell the mine to?
5. On the day they are scheduled to blast the location where they located their gold, what does Victoriano forget and have to go back home to retrieve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Don Victor's plan to raise enough money for his family to leave for America? How long will this project take?
2. How is El Paso described the first time Juan and his family see it, and how do they feel upon arriving?
3. What is Lupe supposed to give her teacher on the first day of school?
4. Why is it so hard for Don Benito to keep the secret that they have discovered gold?
5. Where does Juan look to gather firewood to sell?
6. Why does Socorro leave to go to the lowlands, and what is Victoriano's response?
7. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
8. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
9. How do Archie and Domingo meet and become friends?
10. How does Guadalupe come to live with Leonides Camargo?
Essay Topic 1
Please provide a brief summary and history of Prohibition in the United States. What role does Prohibition play in this novel and which character(s) is most directly affected by Prohibition?
Essay Topic 2
Religion is seen throughout the story. What role does religion play in this novel and in the lives of the characters in the story? Please provide two to four examples of the role or purpose of religion in the story and in the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the difference between major and minor characters, the purpose for each in a work of fiction, and provide three examples (if possible) for minor and major characters.
This section contains 1,642 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)