|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Juan Salvador distract the foreman of a farm as his family is passing it?
2. Who is the mayor's eldest daughter?
3. What does the midwife say about the pain tolerance of men?
4. What does Don Victor give to Don Manuel to help him through the wedding ceremony?
5. Who is eloping with Maria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events lead to the death of Don Tiburcio?
2. What is Lupe supposed to give her teacher on the first day of school?
3. What does Juan tell God when he is collecting firewood?
4. What does Lupe's family do for money in Chapter Three?
5. What has Victoriano done to upset La Liebre?
6. What is Don Manuel's behavior when he comes to perform at Sophia's wedding, and why?
7. What effect does the revolution have on Don Castro's village?
8. In Chapter Five, why does La Liebre want Dona Guadalupe's family captured and killed? Why doesn't this happen?
9. What does Rose-Mary do to Lupe on her first day of school, and why?
10. In Chapter Eight, what has recently happened to Emilia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please define conflict in a literary work. What are the four types of conflict studied in class? Please define these conflicts and provide examples of two of them as evident in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The lack of women's rights can be seen through the strike in chapter 19, section 5. Please explain why this is a good example of the lack of women's rights, what was done in response to that lack of rights, and what the outcome of the situation was. Do you agree or disagree with the way this matter is handled?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe what a plot is in a piece of literature and what the various stages of a plot are. Please provide specific examples from the book of three of the stages of the plot (you can choose any three stages you would like).
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)