|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Dona Guadalupe give to her youngest daughter Lupe early in the story?
2. What is the name of Colonel Maytorena's wife?
3. What is in the pack that Don Victor brings on his back upon his return to his family?
4. Who does Don Benito fall in love with while in town?
5. Who is having trouble keeping the secret that they have discovered gold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Victoriano done to upset La Liebre?
2. What happens to Victoriano, Ramon, and Don Benito on the day they are planning to blast out the gold?
3. What effect does the revolution have on Don Castro's village?
4. What are Don Pio Castro and his brothers looking for when they set out from Mexico City?
5. What events lead to the death of Don Tiburcio?
6. Why is it so hard for Don Benito to keep the secret that they have discovered gold?
7. Why do Juan and Eduardo miss the train?
8. What happens to the village and to Dona Guadalupe when the mine is closed?
9. What is the setting like when Socorro is giving birth?
10. Under what circumstances does Guadalupe meet Don Victor and marry him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is used in this story. Please provide on example of how the author attempted to use symbolism in this story. Do you think that the author's attempts at symbolism are successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The lack of women's rights can be seen through the strike in chapter 19, section 5. Please explain why this is a good example of the lack of women's rights, what was done in response to that lack of rights, and what the outcome of the situation was. Do you agree or disagree with the way this matter is handled?
Essay Topic 3
Define what a back-story is in literature and the purpose it serves. Please provide one example of a back-story that can be found in "Rain of Gold" and give your opinion on whether or not this back-story meets all the qualifications of an acceptable back-story.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)