Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Juan and his sisters find seeds for their dinner while trying to walk to the U.S.?
2. How long does Don Victor believe it will take his family to gather enough gold to buy their way to the U.S.?
3. What does Don Victor give to Don Manuel to help him through the wedding ceremony?
4. Who is Epitacio?
5. What is Don Victor's job when he meets Guadalupe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Mexican people seem to think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
2. How do Salvador and Domingo end up in jail in Chapter 23?
3. How does Guadalupe come to live with Leonides Camargo?
4. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
5. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
6. In Chapter Eight, what has recently happened to Emilia?
7. What is Don Victor's plan to raise enough money for his family to leave for America? How long will this project take?
8. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
9. What is the condition that the townspeople put on collecting the gold from the spring?
10. How does Dona Margarita cause a commotion at Salvador's wedding?
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is used in this story. Please provide on example of how the author attempted to use symbolism in this story. Do you think that the author's attempts at symbolism are successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does setting have in a literary work? What are some ways or means though which setting is established in this novel? Please provide three examples of settings that can be found in this story.
Essay Topic 3
Gold and wealth is a topic that is seen throughout the novel. Please describe the role of gold and/or money (wealth) in the following stages of the story: 1) In the village life of La Lluvia de Oro and those who lived there, 2) In the case of those trying to travel to the U.S. in order to leave Mexico, and 3) In the lives of Lupe's family and Salvador's family after arriving in the United States. Please note the role that money/gold or the lack of money/gold played in each of these situations.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)