|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon does Dona Guadalupe give to her son after she frees him from being hanged?
2. What year does the Mexican Revolution start?
3. Where does Guadalupe work when her husband leaves her?
4. What is Colonel Maytorena's job while in Lupe's town?
5. Why are the train passengers put off the train and forced to camp while the train leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Victoriano done to upset La Liebre?
2. According to Chapter One, what is "Rain of Gold" about and in what time period does it take place?
3. Where does Juan look to gather firewood to sell?
4. What does the midwife tell Lupe about pain?
5. How does Guadalupe come to live with Leonides Camargo?
6. Why are Juan and his family heading north to El Paso?
7. What happens to the teacher's salary in the little village and what action do the townspeople take when they find out?
8. What does Juan tell God when he is collecting firewood?
9. What events lead to the death of Don Tiburcio?
10. Why is it so hard for Don Benito to keep the secret that they have discovered gold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Racism against those of Mexican descent is seen in various parts of this story. Please provide at least three examples where racism against Mexicans is seen. Who is the racist party? On the other side, please provide at least three examples of individuals who seem to ignore the racial differences between themselves and those of Mexican heritage.
Essay Topic 2
Gold and wealth is a topic that is seen throughout the novel. Please describe the role of gold and/or money (wealth) in the following stages of the story: 1) In the village life of La Lluvia de Oro and those who lived there, 2) In the case of those trying to travel to the U.S. in order to leave Mexico, and 3) In the lives of Lupe's family and Salvador's family after arriving in the United States. Please note the role that money/gold or the lack of money/gold played in each of these situations.
Essay Topic 3
Religion is seen throughout the story. What role does religion play in this novel and in the lives of the characters in the story? Please provide two to four examples of the role or purpose of religion in the story and in the lives of the characters.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)