|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many babies does Socorro give birth to?
2. What has the mine been named?
3. Where do Juan and his sisters find seeds for their dinner while trying to walk to the U.S.?
4. What horrible thing has happened to Juan's sister Emilia?
5. What job does Dona Margarita get so that she can feed her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lupe supposed to give her teacher on the first day of school?
2. Why do the Mexican people seem to think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
3. What is Don Manuel's behavior when he comes to perform at Sophia's wedding, and why?
4. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
5. What does Lupe do with the Colonel's gray coat that Socorro throws out?
6. What does Rose-Mary do to Lupe on her first day of school, and why?
7. What is the setting like when Socorro is giving birth?
8. What is the condition that the townspeople put on collecting the gold from the spring?
9. What does Lupe's family do for money in Chapter Three?
10. What has Victoriano done to upset La Liebre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gold and wealth is a topic that is seen throughout the novel. Please describe the role of gold and/or money (wealth) in the following stages of the story: 1) In the village life of La Lluvia de Oro and those who lived there, 2) In the case of those trying to travel to the U.S. in order to leave Mexico, and 3) In the lives of Lupe's family and Salvador's family after arriving in the United States. Please note the role that money/gold or the lack of money/gold played in each of these situations.
Essay Topic 2
Define what a back-story is in literature and the purpose it serves. Please provide one example of a back-story that can be found in "Rain of Gold" and give your opinion on whether or not this back-story meets all the qualifications of an acceptable back-story.
Essay Topic 3
Please compare and contrast the idea of courting versus today's idea of dating. What is found in this story? Courting or dating? Please explain the scenario in which courting or dating is found in this story, which characters are involved, and how their courtship ends.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)