|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What family pet does Dona Margarita have to kill for food?
2. Which of his daughters accompanies Don Victor back to the lowlands?
3. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
4. What type of land are Don Castro and his companions looking for to start their new community?
5. Why is Juan trying to sell firewood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
2. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
3. What effect does the revolution have on Don Castro's village?
4. How does Salvador ask Lupe for her hand in marriage?
5. How does Salvador react when a friend who refused to lend him money when he needed it stops by his house a few days before the wedding?
6. Where does Juan look to gather firewood to sell?
7. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
8. What happens to Juan when two men try to take his gambling winnings in California?
9. When Juan visits his mother at church dressed like a woman, what information does she share with him?
10. Why is it so hard for Don Benito to keep the secret that they have discovered gold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is seen throughout the story. What role does religion play in this novel and in the lives of the characters in the story? Please provide two to four examples of the role or purpose of religion in the story and in the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Please define conflict in a literary work. What are the four types of conflict studied in class? Please define these conflicts and provide examples of two of them as evident in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Gold and wealth is a topic that is seen throughout the novel. Please describe the role of gold and/or money (wealth) in the following stages of the story: 1) In the village life of La Lluvia de Oro and those who lived there, 2) In the case of those trying to travel to the U.S. in order to leave Mexico, and 3) In the lives of Lupe's family and Salvador's family after arriving in the United States. Please note the role that money/gold or the lack of money/gold played in each of these situations.
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)