|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Dona Guadalupe's daughters does Don Tiburcio seek to marry?
2. What is Don Tiburcio's dying request to his wife?
3. What is the reaction of Juan Salvador and his family upon seeing El Paso?
4. Where does Don Castro set out from when leaving to start a new community?
5. Why does the first owner sell the spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Eight, what has recently happened to Emilia?
2. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
3. What does Lupe do with the Colonel's gray coat that Socorro throws out?
4. What happens to the village and to Dona Guadalupe when the mine is closed?
5. Where does Juan look to gather firewood to sell?
6. Why do Juan and Eduardo miss the train?
7. What does the midwife tell Lupe about pain?
8. What happens to Victoriano, Ramon, and Don Benito on the day they are planning to blast out the gold?
9. What happens to the teacher's salary in the little village and what action do the townspeople take when they find out?
10. According to Chapter One, what is "Rain of Gold" about and in what time period does it take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Racism against those of Mexican descent is seen in various parts of this story. Please provide at least three examples where racism against Mexicans is seen. Who is the racist party? On the other side, please provide at least three examples of individuals who seem to ignore the racial differences between themselves and those of Mexican heritage.
Essay Topic 2
Please define conflict in a literary work. What are the four types of conflict studied in class? Please define these conflicts and provide examples of two of them as evident in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Religion is seen throughout the story. What role does religion play in this novel and in the lives of the characters in the story? Please provide two to four examples of the role or purpose of religion in the story and in the lives of the characters.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)