|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dona Guadalupe and her family crush the gold ore they have discovered into dust?
2. How many men start the new community with Don Castro?
3. What is the name of the young man who is hired by Don Benito to help move rocks and earth from the gold find?
4. What weapon does Dona Guadalupe give to her son after she frees him from being hanged?
5. What warning does Dona Guadalupe give to her youngest daughter Lupe early in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Don Victor's plan to raise enough money for his family to leave for America? How long will this project take?
2. What are Don Pio Castro and his brothers looking for when they set out from Mexico City?
3. Why are Juan and his family heading north to El Paso?
4. In Chapter Eight, what has recently happened to Emilia?
5. Why do Juan and Eduardo miss the train?
6. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
7. What does Lupe's family do for money in Chapter Three?
8. Under what circumstances does Guadalupe meet Don Victor and marry him?
9. What happens to Victoriano, Ramon, and Don Benito on the day they are planning to blast out the gold?
10. What effect does the revolution have on Don Castro's village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please define conflict in a literary work. What are the four types of conflict studied in class? Please define these conflicts and provide examples of two of them as evident in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Gold and wealth is a topic that is seen throughout the novel. Please describe the role of gold and/or money (wealth) in the following stages of the story: 1) In the village life of La Lluvia de Oro and those who lived there, 2) In the case of those trying to travel to the U.S. in order to leave Mexico, and 3) In the lives of Lupe's family and Salvador's family after arriving in the United States. Please note the role that money/gold or the lack of money/gold played in each of these situations.
Essay Topic 3
Please compare and contrast the idea of courting versus today's idea of dating. What is found in this story? Courting or dating? Please explain the scenario in which courting or dating is found in this story, which characters are involved, and how their courtship ends.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)