|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juan realize as he goes to carry the wood back to the city?
2. How long does Don Victor believe it will take his family to gather enough gold to buy their way to the U.S.?
3. What is it that crashes into the canyon and causes many, including Guadalupe, to think it is the end of the world?
4. Who is having trouble keeping the secret that they have discovered gold?
5. What do the villagers do as a result of the revolution on their small community?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Juan tell God when he is collecting firewood?
2. What does Lupe's family do for money in Chapter Three?
3. What is the condition that the townspeople put on collecting the gold from the spring?
4. How does Guadalupe come to live with Leonides Camargo?
5. What effect does the revolution have on Don Castro's village?
6. What does Rose-Mary do to Lupe on her first day of school, and why?
7. What does Lupe do with the Colonel's gray coat that Socorro throws out?
8. Under what circumstances does Guadalupe meet Don Victor and marry him?
9. What is Don Victor's plan to raise enough money for his family to leave for America? How long will this project take?
10. In Chapter Five, why does La Liebre want Dona Guadalupe's family captured and killed? Why doesn't this happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The lack of women's rights can be seen through the strike in chapter 19, section 5. Please explain why this is a good example of the lack of women's rights, what was done in response to that lack of rights, and what the outcome of the situation was. Do you agree or disagree with the way this matter is handled?
Essay Topic 2
Please provide a brief summary and history of Prohibition in the United States. What role does Prohibition play in this novel and which character(s) is most directly affected by Prohibition?
Essay Topic 3
Please define the two major reasons that so many Mexican residents, such as Lupe and her family, immigrated to the United States during the early 1900s. Please provide examples from the story. What are those who left Mexico for the U.S. looking for upon arriving in America? What do they find?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)