|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Don Benito fall in love with while in town?
2. In Chapter 12, who does the reader learn has fallen in love with Socorro?
3. Who is Don Juan?
4. Towards the end of Chapter 7, what do the soldiers do in response to the angry crowds they see in the village?
5. Which of his daughters accompanies Don Victor back to the lowlands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Victoriano, Ramon, and Don Benito on the day they are planning to blast out the gold?
2. What are the costs of the strike to Lupe and her sisters?
3. What happens to the village and to Dona Guadalupe when the mine is closed?
4. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
5. How does Salvador get out of jail in Chapter 23?
6. What is the setting like when Socorro is giving birth?
7. How is El Paso described the first time Juan and his family see it, and how do they feel upon arriving?
8. What does Rose-Mary do to Lupe on her first day of school, and why?
9. Why does Socorro leave to go to the lowlands, and what is Victoriano's response?
10. How does Dona Margarita cause a commotion at Salvador's wedding?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difference between major and minor characters, the purpose for each in a work of fiction, and provide three examples (if possible) for minor and major characters.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used in this story. Please provide on example of how the author attempted to use symbolism in this story. Do you think that the author's attempts at symbolism are successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Please provide a brief summary and history of Prohibition in the United States. What role does Prohibition play in this novel and which character(s) is most directly affected by Prohibition?
This section contains 1,538 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)