|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Victoriano is badly beaten after trying to defend what from the bandits?
2. Why are the train passengers put off the train and forced to camp while the train leaves?
3. What does Leonides do to the little Indian girl who runs at him from a burning house?
4. What special gift has Don Victor brought for Sophia to wear in her wedding?
5. What does Lupe find near the altar that she has made for Colonel Maytorena?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lupe's family do for money in Chapter Three?
2. Why do the Mexican people seem to think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
3. What happens to Victoriano, Ramon, and Don Benito on the day they are planning to blast out the gold?
4. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
5. In Chapter Five, why does La Liebre want Dona Guadalupe's family captured and killed? Why doesn't this happen?
6. What is Don Manuel's behavior when he comes to perform at Sophia's wedding, and why?
7. How does Guadalupe come to live with Leonides Camargo?
8. What does Rose-Mary do to Lupe on her first day of school, and why?
9. According to Chapter One, what is "Rain of Gold" about and in what time period does it take place?
10. Why are Juan and his family heading north to El Paso?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The lack of women's rights can be seen through the strike in chapter 19, section 5. Please explain why this is a good example of the lack of women's rights, what was done in response to that lack of rights, and what the outcome of the situation was. Do you agree or disagree with the way this matter is handled?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used in this story. Please provide on example of how the author attempted to use symbolism in this story. Do you think that the author's attempts at symbolism are successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain what foreshadowing is in a literary work. Provide two examples that you believe show foreshadowing in the story "Rain of Gold". In your opinion, is foreshadowing a helpful literary technique? Why or why not?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)