|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What family pet does Dona Margarita have to kill for food?
2. Who does the second owner sell the mine to?
3. Where do Juan and his sisters find seeds for their dinner while trying to walk to the U.S.?
4. Who is Don Juan?
5. Why does Socorro throw out all of her husband's clothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Juan look to gather firewood to sell?
2. What does the midwife tell Lupe about pain?
3. How is El Paso described the first time Juan and his family see it, and how do they feel upon arriving?
4. What is the setting like when Socorro is giving birth?
5. What is Don Victor's plan to raise enough money for his family to leave for America? How long will this project take?
6. In Chapter Eight, what has recently happened to Emilia?
7. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
8. What events lead to the death of Don Tiburcio?
9. Why do the Mexican people seem to think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
10. What is the condition that the townspeople put on collecting the gold from the spring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difference between major and minor characters, the purpose for each in a work of fiction, and provide three examples (if possible) for minor and major characters.
Essay Topic 2
What is narrative mode? Please describe the three main types of narrative mode. What narrative mode(s) are used in "Rain of Gold? Please provide an example of this narrative mode.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain what foreshadowing is in a literary work. Provide two examples that you believe show foreshadowing in the story "Rain of Gold". In your opinion, is foreshadowing a helpful literary technique? Why or why not?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)