Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Towards the end of Chapter 7, what do the soldiers do in response to the angry crowds they see in the village?
2. What is the name of Juan Salvador's youngest brother?
3. What is in the pack that Don Victor brings on his back upon his return to his family?
4. What is Espirito offered for the golden rocks in the springs?
5. What does Don Victor give to Don Manuel to help him through the wedding ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what circumstances does Guadalupe meet Don Victor and marry him?
2. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
3. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
4. Why does Sophia organize a strike and what is the outcome?
5. How is El Paso described the first time Juan and his family see it, and how do they feel upon arriving?
6. What effect does the revolution have on Don Castro's village?
7. What is Don Manuel's behavior when he comes to perform at Sophia's wedding, and why?
8. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
9. How do Salvador and Domingo end up in jail in Chapter 23?
10. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
Please describe what purpose tone plays in a novel, what/where tone is seen or conveyed in a novel, and provide three examples of tone in the story.
The lack of women's rights can be seen through the strike in chapter 19, section 5. Please explain why this is a good example of the lack of women's rights, what was done in response to that lack of rights, and what the outcome of the situation was. Do you agree or disagree with the way this matter is handled?
Gold and wealth is a topic that is seen throughout the novel. Please describe the role of gold and/or money (wealth) in the following stages of the story: 1) In the village life of La Lluvia de Oro and those who lived there, 2) In the case of those trying to travel to the U.S. in order to leave Mexico, and 3) In the lives of Lupe's family and Salvador's family after arriving in the United States. Please note the role that money/gold or the lack of money/gold played in each of these situations.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)