Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Juan and his sisters find seeds for their dinner while trying to walk to the U.S.?
2. How long does Don Victor believe it will take his family to gather enough gold to buy their way to the U.S.?
3. What does Don Victor give to Don Manuel to help him through the wedding ceremony?
4. Who is Epitacio?
5. What is Don Victor's job when he meets Guadalupe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Mexican people seem to think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
2. How do Salvador and Domingo end up in jail in Chapter 23?
3. How does Guadalupe come to live with Leonides Camargo?
4. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
5. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
6. In Chapter Eight, what has recently happened to Emilia?
7. What is Don Victor's plan to raise enough money for his family to leave for America? How long will this project take?
8. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
9. What is the condition that the townspeople put on collecting the gold from the spring?
10. How does Dona Margarita cause a commotion at Salvador's wedding?
Essay Topic 1
Please define the two major reasons that so many Mexican residents, such as Lupe and her family, immigrated to the United States during the early 1900s. Please provide examples from the story. What are those who left Mexico for the U.S. looking for upon arriving in America? What do they find?
Essay Topic 2
Please define what a plot twist is in a novel. Provide one main example of a plot twist that can be found in this story, and how it changed the direction of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the difference between major and minor characters, the purpose for each in a work of fiction, and provide three examples (if possible) for minor and major characters.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)