|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is congratulated by the midwife for her assistance during Socorro's delivery?
2. What do the villagers do as a result of the revolution on their small community?
3. What favor does Senora Munoz ask of Lupe at school one day?
4. What is the name of Colonel Maytorena's wife?
5. What is the reaction of Juan Salvador and his family upon seeing El Paso?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the teacher's salary in the little village and what action do the townspeople take when they find out?
2. In Chapter Eight, what has recently happened to Emilia?
3. What does Lupe's family do for money in Chapter Three?
4. What is Lupe supposed to give her teacher on the first day of school?
5. What are Don Pio Castro and his brothers looking for when they set out from Mexico City?
6. Under what circumstances does Guadalupe meet Don Victor and marry him?
7. What does Rose-Mary do to Lupe on her first day of school, and why?
8. What is the condition that the townspeople put on collecting the gold from the spring?
9. What does Juan tell God when he is collecting firewood?
10. In Chapter Five, why does La Liebre want Dona Guadalupe's family captured and killed? Why doesn't this happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please compare and contrast Lupe's relationship with Mark, and Lupe's relationship with Salvador. What are her initial feelings toward both men? Do her feelings for the men change as she spends more time with them? If so, how do her feelings change?
Essay Topic 2
The lack of women's rights can be seen through the strike in chapter 19, section 5. Please explain why this is a good example of the lack of women's rights, what was done in response to that lack of rights, and what the outcome of the situation was. Do you agree or disagree with the way this matter is handled?
Essay Topic 3
What purpose does setting have in a literary work? What are some ways or means though which setting is established in this novel? Please provide three examples of settings that can be found in this story.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)