|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young man who is hired by Don Benito to help move rocks and earth from the gold find?
2. Which powerful person is killed by Victoriano?
3. Towards the end of Chapter 7, what do the soldiers do in response to the angry crowds they see in the village?
4. When Lupe first sees Don Victor coming towards the village, what does she think he is?
5. How many babies does Socorro give birth to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the midwife tell Lupe about pain?
2. How does Juan come to learn how to make liquor?
3. What does Juan tell God when he is collecting firewood?
4. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
5. What is Don Victor's plan to raise enough money for his family to leave for America? How long will this project take?
6. What happens to the teacher's salary in the little village and what action do the townspeople take when they find out?
7. What effect does the revolution have on Don Castro's village?
8. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
9. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
10. Why does Sophia organize a strike and what is the outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is used in this story. Please provide on example of how the author attempted to use symbolism in this story. Do you think that the author's attempts at symbolism are successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Please compare and contrast the idea of courting versus today's idea of dating. What is found in this story? Courting or dating? Please explain the scenario in which courting or dating is found in this story, which characters are involved, and how their courtship ends.
Essay Topic 3
Please compare and contrast Lupe's relationship with Mark, and Lupe's relationship with Salvador. What are her initial feelings toward both men? Do her feelings for the men change as she spends more time with them? If so, how do her feelings change?
This section contains 1,605 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)