|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, who does the reader learn has fallen in love with Socorro?
2. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
3. Who is Epitacio?
4. What does Lupe find near the altar that she has made for Colonel Maytorena?
5. When Lupe first sees Don Victor coming towards the village, what does she think he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lupe supposed to give her teacher on the first day of school?
2. What does Juan tell God when he is collecting firewood?
3. What happens to Victoriano, Ramon, and Don Benito on the day they are planning to blast out the gold?
4. What is the condition that the townspeople put on collecting the gold from the spring?
5. What is the setting like when Socorro is giving birth?
6. What does Lupe do with the Colonel's gray coat that Socorro throws out?
7. Where does Juan look to gather firewood to sell?
8. In Chapter Five, why does La Liebre want Dona Guadalupe's family captured and killed? Why doesn't this happen?
9. What has Victoriano done to upset La Liebre?
10. Why do the Mexican people seem to think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define what a back-story is in literature and the purpose it serves. Please provide one example of a back-story that can be found in "Rain of Gold" and give your opinion on whether or not this back-story meets all the qualifications of an acceptable back-story.
Essay Topic 2
Define a protagonist and an antagonist and their roles in a piece of literary fiction. Please provide two examples of of protagonists in this story and state who their antagonist is, and what the situation/relationship of opposition is between the protagonist and the antagonist you choose.
Essay Topic 3
What is narrative mode? Please describe the three main types of narrative mode. What narrative mode(s) are used in "Rain of Gold? Please provide an example of this narrative mode.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)