|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Juan and his sisters find seeds for their dinner while trying to walk to the U.S.?
2. Who is congratulated by the midwife for her assistance during Socorro's delivery?
3. Who is having trouble keeping the secret that they have discovered gold?
4. What is the name of Juan Salvador's youngest brother?
5. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socorro leave to go to the lowlands, and what is Victoriano's response?
2. Why are Juan and his family heading north to El Paso?
3. How is El Paso described the first time Juan and his family see it, and how do they feel upon arriving?
4. What are Don Pio Castro and his brothers looking for when they set out from Mexico City?
5. According to Chapter One, what is "Rain of Gold" about and in what time period does it take place?
6. Why do the Mexican people seem to think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
7. Why is it so hard for Don Benito to keep the secret that they have discovered gold?
8. Why do Juan and Eduardo miss the train?
9. What does the midwife tell Lupe about pain?
10. What does Lupe's family do for money in Chapter Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please compare and contrast the idea of courting versus today's idea of dating. What is found in this story? Courting or dating? Please explain the scenario in which courting or dating is found in this story, which characters are involved, and how their courtship ends.
Essay Topic 2
Racism against those of Mexican descent is seen in various parts of this story. Please provide at least three examples where racism against Mexicans is seen. Who is the racist party? On the other side, please provide at least three examples of individuals who seem to ignore the racial differences between themselves and those of Mexican heritage.
Essay Topic 3
Define a protagonist and an antagonist and their roles in a piece of literary fiction. Please provide two examples of of protagonists in this story and state who their antagonist is, and what the situation/relationship of opposition is between the protagonist and the antagonist you choose.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)