|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Juan is talking to God, who does he say he needs help for?
2. What is Espirito offered for the golden rocks in the springs?
3. Why are the train passengers put off the train and forced to camp while the train leaves?
4. On the day they are scheduled to blast the location where they located their gold, what does Victoriano forget and have to go back home to retrieve?
5. What do Epitacio and Juan see across the Rio Grande?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lupe's family do for money in Chapter Three?
2. What does the midwife tell Lupe about pain?
3. What does Rose-Mary do to Lupe on her first day of school, and why?
4. Why do Juan and Eduardo miss the train?
5. What does Lupe do with the Colonel's gray coat that Socorro throws out?
6. Why does Socorro leave to go to the lowlands, and what is Victoriano's response?
7. What happens to the teacher's salary in the little village and what action do the townspeople take when they find out?
8. In Chapter Eight, what has recently happened to Emilia?
9. What happens to Victoriano, Ramon, and Don Benito on the day they are planning to blast out the gold?
10. What is Don Manuel's behavior when he comes to perform at Sophia's wedding, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The lack of women's rights can be seen through the strike in chapter 19, section 5. Please explain why this is a good example of the lack of women's rights, what was done in response to that lack of rights, and what the outcome of the situation was. Do you agree or disagree with the way this matter is handled?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe what purpose tone plays in a novel, what/where tone is seen or conveyed in a novel, and provide three examples of tone in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Please define the two major reasons that so many Mexican residents, such as Lupe and her family, immigrated to the United States during the early 1900s. Please provide examples from the story. What are those who left Mexico for the U.S. looking for upon arriving in America? What do they find?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)