|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Juan Salvador Villasenor traveling with his family in Chapter 8?
2. What weapon does Dona Guadalupe give to her son after she frees him from being hanged?
3. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
4. What does Lupe find near the altar that she has made for Colonel Maytorena?
5. Why are the train passengers put off the train and forced to camp while the train leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the midwife tell Lupe about pain?
2. What does Lupe's family do for money in Chapter Three?
3. What is the condition that the townspeople put on collecting the gold from the spring?
4. Why is it so hard for Don Benito to keep the secret that they have discovered gold?
5. What effect does the revolution have on Don Castro's village?
6. What is Don Victor's plan to raise enough money for his family to leave for America? How long will this project take?
7. What happens to the village and to Dona Guadalupe when the mine is closed?
8. What events lead to the death of Don Tiburcio?
9. In Chapter Eight, what has recently happened to Emilia?
10. Why does Socorro leave to go to the lowlands, and what is Victoriano's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does setting have in a literary work? What are some ways or means though which setting is established in this novel? Please provide three examples of settings that can be found in this story.
Essay Topic 2
Define what a back-story is in literature and the purpose it serves. Please provide one example of a back-story that can be found in "Rain of Gold" and give your opinion on whether or not this back-story meets all the qualifications of an acceptable back-story.
Essay Topic 3
Please define conflict in a literary work. What are the four types of conflict studied in class? Please define these conflicts and provide examples of two of them as evident in the novel.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)