|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the midwife say about the pain tolerance of men?
2. What is the name of Juan Salvador's youngest brother?
3. How do Dona Guadalupe and her children make money?
4. Who does Don Benito feel that he needs to impress in Chapter 3?
5. When Lupe first sees Don Victor coming towards the village, what does she think he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
2. What happens to Juan when two men try to take his gambling winnings in California?
3. How does Guadalupe come to live with Leonides Camargo?
4. According to Chapter One, what is "Rain of Gold" about and in what time period does it take place?
5. Why does Dona Margarita not want Domingo to be the one to ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
6. Why does Sophia organize a strike and what is the outcome?
7. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
8. How does Juan feel when he sees Lupe with Mark?
9. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
10. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
Essay Topic 1
Religion is seen throughout the story. What role does religion play in this novel and in the lives of the characters in the story? Please provide two to four examples of the role or purpose of religion in the story and in the lives of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used in this story. Please provide on example of how the author attempted to use symbolism in this story. Do you think that the author's attempts at symbolism are successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Define what a back-story is in literature and the purpose it serves. Please provide one example of a back-story that can be found in "Rain of Gold" and give your opinion on whether or not this back-story meets all the qualifications of an acceptable back-story.
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)