|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special gift has Don Victor brought for Sophia to wear in her wedding?
2. Why is La Liebre upset with Dona Guadalupe and her family?
3. Many years after the new community is settled, how does the revolution affect this small community?
4. How many men start the new community with Don Castro?
5. What year does the Mexican Revolution start?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chapter One, what is "Rain of Gold" about and in what time period does it take place?
2. Why do the Mexican people seem to think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
3. In Chapter Five, why does La Liebre want Dona Guadalupe's family captured and killed? Why doesn't this happen?
4. What has Victoriano done to upset La Liebre?
5. How does Guadalupe come to live with Leonides Camargo?
6. Why does Socorro leave to go to the lowlands, and what is Victoriano's response?
7. Why do Juan and Eduardo miss the train?
8. Where does Juan look to gather firewood to sell?
9. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
10. What does Rose-Mary do to Lupe on her first day of school, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please provide a brief summary and history of Prohibition in the United States. What role does Prohibition play in this novel and which character(s) is most directly affected by Prohibition?
Essay Topic 2
Please define what characterization is and its purpose in a literary work, as well as the two specific types of characterization reviewed in class. Give three examples from the novel of the author's use of characterization (you may use the book for this essay question). Please use specific quotes or samples from the book that show characterization.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the difference between major and minor characters, the purpose for each in a work of fiction, and provide three examples (if possible) for minor and major characters.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)