|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Epitacio give Juan for leaving him back in Douglas, Arizona when they were younger?
(a) He says that Juan's mother called for him.
(b) Epitacio says he was tricked into going to Chicago.
(c) He tells Juan that he thought Juan was free, so he left.
(d) Epitacio said he was scared for his life and ran.
2. What is the name of the attorney that Juan befriends?
(a) Frank Stewart.
(b) Mark Able.
(c) Fred Noon.
(d) Chuck Larson.
3. What does Juan's mother make him promise?
(a) To be a good boy.
(b) To make a lot of money for himself.
(c) To go back to Mexico with her.
(d) To never leave her again.
4. What position does Juan hold the first day he works at the rock quarry?
(a) Cafeteria worker.
(c) A foreman.
(d) Powder man.
5. How is Juan dressed when he goes to church to tell his mother that everything is alright?
(a) He is dressed like a police officer.
(b) He is dressed in old, dirty clothes.
(c) He is dressed in a gentleman's suit.
(d) He is dressed like a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the young man who asks to walk Lupe home from the library and carry her books?
2. Where does Dona Margarita decide to go in order to find her son Domingo?
3. What does Rose-Mary say to Lupe as she is headed to meet Salvador's family?
4. Who sends word to Juan that his mother is very ill?
5. What area are Lupe and her sisters working in when they decide to strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salvador react when a friend who refused to lend him money when he needed it stops by his house a few days before the wedding?
2. Why does Sophia organize a strike and what is the outcome?
3. How do Archie and Domingo meet and become friends?
4. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
5. What are the circumstances in which Lupe first sees Juan, and what does she think of him?
6. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands regarding Sophia?
7. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
8. What happens to Juan when two men try to take his gambling winnings in California?
9. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
10. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)