|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Domingo and Salvador end up in jail in Chapter 23?
(a) Domingo tells an undercover cop they are bootleggers.
(b) Salvador gets caught bootlegging.
(c) Domingo and Salvador get into a squabble at a pool hall.
(d) The two men get caught in an underground gambling ring.
2. What does Archie want in return for helping Juan to start over with a new life and new name?
(a) A new car.
(b) Five barrels of whiskey a month.
(c) Juan to become the new manager at his gambling hall.
(d) Twenty percent of all the money Juan earns gambling.
3. How is Luisa's neighborhood described?
(a) Things are meager but clean and bright.
(b) The streets are large and the houses are big.
(c) It is dirty with small houses.
(d) The streets are crowded but the area is nice.
4. What do the newlyweds talk about when they sneak off to be alone?
(a) Their families.
(b) Their future together.
(c) Salvador's brother.
(d) The upcoming honeymoon.
5. What does Mark's uncle offer Lupe?
(a) To pay for their wedding.
(b) A new car in celebration of their engagement.
(c) A job assisting him at his office.
(d) To help Lupe get her teaching certificate.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Juan escapes from prison, which state does he eventually end up in?
2. Who does the priest accidentally call "Maria", while asking for Lupe's hand in marriage?
3. Why does Juan agree to confess to a murder he did not commit?
4. What does Dona Margarita tell Salvador she needs to do right as the ceremony is about to start?
5. What happens the day after Epitacio gambles away his paycheck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Lupe first sees Juan, and what does she think of him?
2. What happens to Juan when two men try to take his gambling winnings in California?
3. How does Salvador get out of jail in Chapter 23?
4. How does a bull horn and some mercury help Victoriano collect gold quicker?
5. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
6. How does the priest act when asking for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
7. How does Dona Margarita cause a commotion at Salvador's wedding?
8. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
9. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
10. Why does Dona Margarita not want Domingo to be the one to ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)