|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
(a) They will never be able to marry a man who gambles or drinks.
(b) They are all already married or engaged.
(c) None of them like Juan at all.
(d) They do not ever want to be married.
2. What is Lupe's initial reaction when she learns of Mark's strong desire to marry her?
(a) She realizes that Mark disgusts her.
(b) She is distressed and confused.
(c) She is nice but not interested,
(d) She is so excited.
3. Because he is not bailed out, how many years in prison does Domingo get?
4. What is inside the metal box that Sophia finds in her fireplace?
(b) Paper money.
(c) Deeds to land.
5. What animal is hanging from the tree near the ruins of Don Manuel's store?
(a) A deer.
(b) A goat.
(c) A calf.
(d) A burro.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
2. Why are Juan and Epitacio thrown into jail?
3. What is the name of the mine where Juan and Epitacio work in Arizona?
4. What ethnic background are the two men that stole Juan's money and cut his face?
5. Who helps Salvador choose a ring for Lupe?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Juan visits his mother at church dressed like a woman, what information does she share with him?
2. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
3. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
4. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands regarding Sophia?
5. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
6. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
7. What do the two men that stole Juan's money do to his car the day of the Cinco de Mayo parade?
8. How does a bull horn and some mercury help Victoriano collect gold quicker?
9. What do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher, and what punishment does Juan give them?
10. What are the costs of the strike to Lupe and her sisters?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)