|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What area are Lupe and her sisters working in when they decide to strike?
(a) Central New Mexico.
(b) Central California.
(c) Southern California.
(d) Eastern Arizona.
2. Who comes to bail Salvador out of prison?
(c) Fred Noon.
3. When Lupe wakes up on her wedding day, what initial thoughts run through her mind?
(a) She is so overjoyed and excited she can hardly wait.
(b) She is nervous but in a good way.
(c) She is angry that she has given in to the idea of marriage.
(d) She is somewhat unsure of her choice to marry Salvador.
4. What is the name of the mine where Juan and Epitacio work in Arizona?
(a) Silver Creek Mine.
(b) Douglas City Mine.
(c) Rio Grande River Mine.
(d) Copper Queen Mine.
5. After some time in California, Juan comes to realize that Mexicans are viewed there as what?
(a) They are seen as equals to all other races.
(b) They are respected if they are educated.
(c) They are at the top level of the social ladder.
(d) They are seen as nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tips Juan off that there is a trap waiting for him at the hotel where he is supposed to sell his bootleg liquor?
2. What is inside the metal box that Sophia finds in her fireplace?
3. What new name does Juan take for himself?
4. Is the strike successful?
5. Which of Lupe's sisters organizes a strike so that women can get paid for the work they do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
2. What are the circumstances in which Lupe first sees Juan, and what does she think of him?
3. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
4. Why does Dona Margarita not want Domingo to be the one to ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
5. How does the priest act when asking for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
6. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
7. What are the costs of the strike to Lupe and her sisters?
8. What do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher, and what punishment does Juan give them?
9. Why does Dona Margarita want to go to Chicago, and what do others think about this?
10. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)