|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Juan dressed when he goes to church to tell his mother that everything is alright?
(a) He is dressed like a woman.
(b) He is dressed in old, dirty clothes.
(c) He is dressed in a gentleman's suit.
(d) He is dressed like a police officer.
2. When the Mexicans demand better working conditions at the rock quarry, what do they get?
(a) They get nothing at all and are fired.
(b) A new whistle and longer breaks.
(c) Paid vacation.
(d) A new whistle and nothing more.
3. What dream do Lupe and Juan share?
(a) They would like both to return to Mexico and start a family.
(b) They both have a dream to travel the world and leave the U.S. behind.
(c) That their children be educated, not having to bow to anyone.
(d) They both want to be free, never having to marry or settle down.
4. Why has Al come from Italy to the United States?
(a) To join the family restaurant.
(b) To join the mob in America.
(c) For religious freedom.
(d) To oversee the making of fine liquor.
5. What household item does Salvador break at Lupe's house by falling on it?
(a) A vase that is a family heirloom.
(b) A small foot stool.
(c) The kitchen table.
(d) A chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Domingo's skills impresses Archie?
2. What does Ojos Puros claim is the cause of Don Victor's fever?
3. What does Rose-Mary say to Lupe as she is headed to meet Salvador's family?
4. Where does Salvador take Lupe so they can be more alone?
5. When Lupe first sees Juan, what is it about him that disgusts her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher, and what punishment does Juan give them?
2. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands regarding Sophia?
3. How does Juan come to learn how to make liquor?
4. What happens to Juan when two men try to take his gambling winnings in California?
5. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
6. What do the two men that stole Juan's money do to his car the day of the Cinco de Mayo parade?
7. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
8. Why does Sophia organize a strike and what is the outcome?
9. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
10. How does Salvador ask Lupe for her hand in marriage?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)