|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Juan and Epitacio thrown into jail?
(a) Because they stole food for their families.
(b) For underage gambling.
(c) Because they did not show up to work.
(d) For stealing and selling copper ore.
2. Why does Dona Margarita disapprove of Domingo and Nellie's relationship?
(a) Because they are sleeping together outside of wedlock.
(b) Because she thinks Nellie is too old for Domingo.
(c) Because Domingo has a wife in Mexico.
(d) Because Nellie is already married.
3. What gift does Father Ryan thank Dona Margarita's son for?
(b) His financial donation.
(c) A new organ for the church.
(d) A new bible.
4. What is the one condition that Dona Guadalupe sets on the acceptance of Salvador's proposal?
(a) He and Lupe must not ever move back to Mexico.
(b) He must take and care for liliies that came from her homeland.
(c) He must promise not to move away from Lupe's family.
(d) He must never get into trouble or hurt her daughter.
5. What topic do Dona Margarita's two sons begin to fight over as they are talking and catching up?
(a) What a jerk Al Capone is.
(b) Who is to blame for the death of their father.
(c) The dangers of being in the bootleg liquor business.
(d) Why Domingo left their mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
2. What does Victoriano use to funnel the gold he has found to speed up the collection process?
3. What position does Juan hold the first day he works at the rock quarry?
4. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings toward Salvador?
5. Because of their efforts in starting a strike, what happens to Lupe and her sisters as employees?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Juan visits his mother at church dressed like a woman, what information does she share with him?
2. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
3. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
4. What are the costs of the strike to Lupe and her sisters?
5. How does Juan come to learn how to make liquor?
6. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
7. How does a bull horn and some mercury help Victoriano collect gold quicker?
8. What has Lupe told Salvador about marriage that Dona Margarita says is true?
9. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
10. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)