|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Al come from Italy to the United States?
(a) To join the family restaurant.
(b) To oversee the making of fine liquor.
(c) For religious freedom.
(d) To join the mob in America.
2. How does Lupe respond when Salvador asks her to dance at the dance hall?
(a) She says yes, of course.
(b) She says she hates dancing.
(c) She admits that she cannot dance.
(d) She tells him she is tired but maybe next time.
3. Where in California is Juan headed to see his sick mother?
(a) San Diego.
(b) San Francisco.
(d) Los Angeles.
4. What are the men barbecuing at the reception?
(b) Tongue and Pollo.
(c) Beef and chicken.
(d) Pork and beef.
5. What does Mark's uncle offer Lupe?
(a) A job assisting him at his office.
(b) A new car in celebration of their engagement.
(c) To help Lupe get her teaching certificate.
(d) To pay for their wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Gomez family arrives in California, what do they learn about their daughter Sophia?
2. Besides being the owners of a gambling hall, what other prominent position does Archie Freeman hold?
3. Because he is not bailed out, how many years in prison does Domingo get?
4. Why are Lupe and her sisters refused pay when they are working in the fields?
5. What is inside the metal box that Sophia finds in her fireplace?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Salvador react when a friend who refused to lend him money when he needed it stops by his house a few days before the wedding?
2. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
3. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
4. How do Salvador and Domingo end up in jail in Chapter 23?
5. What happens to Juan when two men try to take his gambling winnings in California?
6. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
7. How does Dona Margarita cause a commotion at Salvador's wedding?
8. How does the priest act when asking for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
9. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands regarding Sophia?
10. What are the costs of the strike to Lupe and her sisters?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)