|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Sophia's husband dies, where does she leave to go to?
(a) Puerto Rico.
(b) The United States.
(c) The coast.
2. When Lupe and her family finally find Don Manuel in California, what does he do for them?
(a) Gets them all jobs.
(b) Buys them a new home.
(c) Helps them find Sophia.
(d) Helps them move to Colorado.
3. How does Lupe respond when Salvador asks her to dance at the dance hall?
(a) She tells him she is tired but maybe next time.
(b) She admits that she cannot dance.
(c) She says yes, of course.
(d) She says she hates dancing.
4. What excuse does Epitacio give Juan for leaving him back in Douglas, Arizona when they were younger?
(a) Epitacio said he was scared for his life and ran.
(b) He says that Juan's mother called for him.
(c) He tells Juan that he thought Juan was free, so he left.
(d) Epitacio says he was tricked into going to Chicago.
5. What is the name of the mine where Juan and Epitacio work in Arizona?
(a) Copper Queen Mine.
(b) Silver Creek Mine.
(c) Douglas City Mine.
(d) Rio Grande River Mine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lupe's initial reaction when she learns of Mark's strong desire to marry her?
2. What area are Lupe and her sisters working in when they decide to strike?
3. Why are Lupe and her sisters refused pay when they are working in the fields?
4. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
5. Who arrives at Dona Margarita's house and is mistaken for her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Juan come to learn how to make liquor?
2. Why does Dona Margarita want to go to Chicago, and what do others think about this?
3. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
4. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands regarding Sophia?
5. What do Pedro and Jose do to their teacher, and what punishment does Juan give them?
6. How does the priest act when asking for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
7. What has Lupe told Salvador about marriage that Dona Margarita says is true?
8. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
9. What role does Archie play at the wedding reception?
10. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)