|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one condition that Dona Guadalupe sets on the acceptance of Salvador's proposal?
(a) He must promise not to move away from Lupe's family.
(b) He must never get into trouble or hurt her daughter.
(c) He and Lupe must not ever move back to Mexico.
(d) He must take and care for liliies that came from her homeland.
2. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
(a) None of them like Juan at all.
(b) They will never be able to marry a man who gambles or drinks.
(c) They do not ever want to be married.
(d) They are all already married or engaged.
3. How old is Juan when he is sent to prison?
(a) Eleven years old.
(b) Eighteen years old.
(c) Thirteen years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
4. Why does Juan sneak back into the U.S. just days after he has left to return to Mexico?
(a) He wants to ask Archie if he knew about the bootleg set up.
(b) He cannot stand being away from Lupe.
(c) He still wants to seek revenge on the two men that cut him.
(d) He misses his nephews.
5. What happens to Nellie while Domingo is in jail?
(a) She disappears without a trace.
(b) She decides to return to Chicago.
(c) She works hard to raise the bail to get Domingo out early.
(d) She gets very ill and dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings toward Salvador?
2. Who is the young man who asks to walk Lupe home from the library and carry her books?
3. What excuse does Epitacio give Juan for leaving him back in Douglas, Arizona when they were younger?
4. Why does Dona Margarita name her son Juan Salvador?
5. Why does Luisa refuse to go to Salvador and Lupe's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a bull horn and some mercury help Victoriano collect gold quicker?
2. How does the priest act when asking for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
3. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
4. How do Salvador and Domingo end up in jail in Chapter 23?
5. What are the circumstances in which Lupe first sees Juan, and what does she think of him?
6. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
7. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
8. What do the two men that stole Juan's money do to his car the day of the Cinco de Mayo parade?
9. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
10. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)