|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides being the owners of a gambling hall, what other prominent position does Archie Freeman hold?
(a) President of the City Council.
(b) Deputy Sheriff.
(d) Army Sergeant.
2. How much does Lupe's engagement ring cost Salvador?
3. Who brings a barrel of whiskey to the reception?
4. When Lupe wakes up on her wedding day, what initial thoughts run through her mind?
(a) She is so overjoyed and excited she can hardly wait.
(b) She is angry that she has given in to the idea of marriage.
(c) She is somewhat unsure of her choice to marry Salvador.
(d) She is nervous but in a good way.
5. What dream do Lupe and Juan share?
(a) They would like both to return to Mexico and start a family.
(b) They both have a dream to travel the world and leave the U.S. behind.
(c) That their children be educated, not having to bow to anyone.
(d) They both want to be free, never having to marry or settle down.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Al come from Italy to the United States?
2. What state is the priest in when Salvador goes to find him to formerly propose?
3. What is Lupe's initial reaction when she learns of Mark's strong desire to marry her?
4. What does Rose-Mary say to Lupe as she is headed to meet Salvador's family?
5. Where in California is Juan headed to see his sick mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances in which Lupe first sees Juan, and what does she think of him?
2. How does a bull horn and some mercury help Victoriano collect gold quicker?
3. What are the costs of the strike to Lupe and her sisters?
4. How do Archie and Domingo meet and become friends?
5. How do Salvador and Domingo end up in jail in Chapter 23?
6. How does Salvador ask Lupe for her hand in marriage?
7. How does Dona Margarita cause a commotion at Salvador's wedding?
8. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
9. In what state does Juan find his mother when he arrives in Los Angeles?
10. What has Lupe told Salvador about marriage that Dona Margarita says is true?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)