|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "secret" of Salvador's does Don Victor learn about and then confront Salvador?
(a) His confession to murder.
(b) His dangerous past of gambling.
(c) His previous time in prison for stealing.
(d) His career as a bootlegger.
2. How do Domingo and Salvador end up in jail in Chapter 23?
(a) The two men get caught in an underground gambling ring.
(b) Domingo tells an undercover cop they are bootleggers.
(c) Salvador gets caught bootlegging.
(d) Domingo and Salvador get into a squabble at a pool hall.
3. Who does the priest accidentally call "Maria", while asking for Lupe's hand in marriage?
(c) Dona Margarita.
4. How many days does the strike last?
5. What does Dona Guadalupe tell Juan about her daughters?
(a) They will never be able to marry a man who gambles or drinks.
(b) They do not ever want to be married.
(c) None of them like Juan at all.
(d) They are all already married or engaged.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to bail Salvador out of prison?
2. When the Mexicans demand better working conditions at the rock quarry, what do they get?
3. What happens to Nellie while Domingo is in jail?
4. What is inside the metal box that Sophia finds in her fireplace?
5. Who helps Salvador choose a ring for Lupe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
2. How does the priest act when asking for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
3. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
4. Why does Dona Margarita want to go to Chicago, and what do others think about this?
5. When Juan visits his mother at church dressed like a woman, what information does she share with him?
6. Why does Dona Margarita not want Domingo to be the one to ask for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
7. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands regarding Sophia?
8. What has Lupe told Salvador about marriage that Dona Margarita says is true?
9. How does Salvador get out of jail in Chapter 23?
10. How does Dona Margarita cause a commotion at Salvador's wedding?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)