|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides being the owners of a gambling hall, what other prominent position does Archie Freeman hold?
(a) Deputy Sheriff.
(b) Army Sergeant.
(d) President of the City Council.
2. What is the name of the attorney that Juan befriends?
(a) Fred Noon.
(b) Frank Stewart.
(c) Mark Able.
(d) Chuck Larson.
3. When Lupe and her family finally find Don Manuel in California, what does he do for them?
(a) Helps them move to Colorado.
(b) Helps them find Sophia.
(c) Gets them all jobs.
(d) Buys them a new home.
4. Who is the young man who asks to walk Lupe home from the library and carry her books?
5. Where does Juan go to find the two men that stole his money and cut his face when he first arrives in Los Angeles?
(c) San Jose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to bail Salvador out of prison?
2. What happens to Nellie while Domingo is in jail?
3. What does Dona Margarita tell Salvador she needs to do right as the ceremony is about to start?
4. What is the one condition that Dona Guadalupe sets on the acceptance of Salvador's proposal?
5. Why is Salvador angry when his friend brings him a goat as a wedding gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Archie and Domingo meet and become friends?
2. What happens to Juan when two men try to take his gambling winnings in California?
3. Why does Dona Margarita want to go to Chicago, and what do others think about this?
4. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
5. How does Dona Margarita cause a commotion at Salvador's wedding?
6. What news does Don Victor bring back from the lowlands regarding Sophia?
7. How does the priest act when asking for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
8. What are the circumstances in which Lupe first sees Juan, and what does she think of him?
9. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
10. How does Lupe respond, verbally and emotionally, when Mark declares that he wants to marry her?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)