|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the men barbecuing at the reception?
(b) Beef and chicken.
(c) Pork and beef.
(d) Tongue and Pollo.
2. Where does Dona Margarita decide to go in order to find her son Domingo?
(d) St. Louis.
3. Why does Juan sneak back into the U.S. just days after he has left to return to Mexico?
(a) He wants to ask Archie if he knew about the bootleg set up.
(b) He cannot stand being away from Lupe.
(c) He misses his nephews.
(d) He still wants to seek revenge on the two men that cut him.
4. What does Juan make his nephews do to teach them a lesson for their misbehavior toward their teacher?
(a) They have to shovel chicken poop and move heavy barrels.
(b) They have to apologize to the teacher in front of the entire school.
(c) Juan grounds them both for two months.
(d) They have to clean their entire house and yard.
5. What does Rose-Mary say to Lupe as she is headed to meet Salvador's family?
(a) She apologizes to Lupe for all the mean things she has ever said.
(b) She tells Lupe that Salvador has secretly proposed to her as well.
(c) She tells Lupe her fiance is a bootlegger.
(d) She tells Lupe it does not matter who she marries, she is nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ethnic background are the two men that stole Juan's money and cut his face?
2. Why do the Mexican workers work under such horrible conditions?
3. What is the name of the mine where Juan and Epitacio work in Arizona?
4. When the Mexicans demand better working conditions at the rock quarry, what do they get?
5. What gift does Father Ryan thank Dona Margarita's son for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scheme does Juan try while working as a miner in Douglas, and what is the result?
2. What agreement do Archie and Juan come to in Chapter 18?
3. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
4. How does the priest act when asking for Lupe's hand in marriage on behalf of Salvador?
5. What role does Archie play at the wedding reception?
6. Where do Salvador and Lupe go off to and talk during their reception?
7. How does Salvador react when a friend who refused to lend him money when he needed it stops by his house a few days before the wedding?
8. What are the costs of the strike to Lupe and her sisters?
9. Why does Juan agree to a life sentence in prison?
10. Why isn't Sophia on the ship that sinks on its voyage to America?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)