|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who misses the train to America with Juan?
(b) No one, he is all alone.
2. Why is Victoriano looking through the discarded ore for gold?
(a) He is trying to get enough gold to make a ring.
(b) His mother needs help paying the bills.
(c) He wants to be a successful businessman.
(d) He is deliberately trying to anger the Americans.
3. How long does Don Victor believe it will take his family to gather enough gold to buy their way to the U.S.?
(a) Nine months.
(b) About a year.
(c) Two and a half years.
(d) Two months.
4. What has the mine been named?
(a) El Rio Urique.
(b) Plata del Mundo.
(c) El Camino Real.
(d) La Lluvia de Oro.
5. Who goes with Don Castro to start a new community?
(b) Dona Guadalupe.
(c) His two brothers.
(d) His wife and three children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Don Tiburcio's dying request to his wife?
2. Why are the animals howling and calling out while Socorro is giving birth?
3. Who is having trouble keeping the secret that they have discovered gold?
4. What favor does Senora Munoz ask of Lupe at school one day?
5. What horrible thing has happened to Juan's sister Emilia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Don Pio Castro and his brothers looking for when they set out from Mexico City?
2. What is the condition that the townspeople put on collecting the gold from the spring?
3. Why is it so hard for Don Benito to keep the secret that they have discovered gold?
4. What events lead to the death of Don Tiburcio?
5. How do Archie and Domingo meet and become friends?
6. What happens to the village and to Dona Guadalupe when the mine is closed?
7. What role does Archie play at the wedding reception?
8. What does Lupe tell her mother about her feelings for Mark and Salvador?
9. Where does Juan look to gather firewood to sell?
10. What does Juan tell God when he is collecting firewood?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)