|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Dona Guadalupe and her children make money?
(a) By housing the miners.
(b) By selling fruit in town.
(c) By feeding the miners.
(d) By selling their portion of the mine.
2. What year does the Mexican Revolution start?
3. What one item of Colonel Maytorena's clothing does Lupe rescue from being discarded?
(a) His gray coat.
(b) His white shirt.
(c) His black gloves.
(d) His blue hat.
4. What does Don Victor give to Don Manuel to help him through the wedding ceremony?
(a) A glass of wine.
(b) A tamale.
(c) Some bread and fish.
(d) A glass of Tequila.
5. Where do Juan and his sisters find seeds for their dinner while trying to walk to the U.S.?
(a) In horse manure.
(b) In the horse corral.
(c) In small holes in the earth.
(d) In cacti.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
2. Where does Don Victor go in search of work?
3. What special gift has Don Victor brought for Sophia to wear in her wedding?
4. What does Don Victor tell Lupe that makes her resent him?
5. What does Dona Guadalupe want to do with her share of the gold that they have found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the teacher's salary in the little village and what action do the townspeople take when they find out?
2. Where does Juan look to gather firewood to sell?
3. What happens to the village and to Dona Guadalupe when the mine is closed?
4. What are Don Pio Castro and his brothers looking for when they set out from Mexico City?
5. Why is it so hard for Don Benito to keep the secret that they have discovered gold?
6. What does Lupe do with the Colonel's gray coat that Socorro throws out?
7. How is El Paso described the first time Juan and his family see it, and how do they feel upon arriving?
8. What is Don Manuel's behavior when he comes to perform at Sophia's wedding, and why?
9. What is the setting like when Socorro is giving birth?
10. What does Juan tell God when he is collecting firewood?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)