|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Don Benito fall in love with while in town?
2. Why are the animals howling and calling out while Socorro is giving birth?
(a) They are responding to her screams.
(b) They sense the impending doom coming.
(c) They can hear the Federales approaching.
(d) It is feeding time and they are hungry.
3. What does Juan realize as he goes to carry the wood back to the city?
(a) He does not want to return to the town.
(b) He hates God.
(c) The pile of wood is too heavy.
(d) The war is very important to him.
4. What one item of Colonel Maytorena's clothing does Lupe rescue from being discarded?
(a) His blue hat.
(b) His black gloves.
(c) His gray coat.
(d) His white shirt.
5. In Chapter 12, who does the reader learn has fallen in love with Socorro?
(a) Don Tiburcio.
(d) Don Victor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Indian tribe is Leonides Camargo fighting against?
2. What does Don Victor tell Lupe that makes her resent him?
3. What is the name of the town midwife?
4. Where does Lupe go to school?
5. What family pet does Dona Margarita have to kill for food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the revolution have on Don Castro's village?
2. In Chapter Five, why does La Liebre want Dona Guadalupe's family captured and killed? Why doesn't this happen?
3. What is Lupe supposed to give her teacher on the first day of school?
4. What does Rose-Mary do to Lupe on her first day of school, and why?
5. What is the setting like when Socorro is giving birth?
6. What happens to Victoriano, Ramon, and Don Benito on the day they are planning to blast out the gold?
7. In Chapter Eight, what has recently happened to Emilia?
8. Why is it so hard for Don Benito to keep the secret that they have discovered gold?
9. Why are Juan and his family heading north to El Paso?
10. Where does Juan look to gather firewood to sell?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)