|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Juan Salvador distract the foreman of a farm as his family is passing it?
(a) So that his family can steal corn.
(b) Because he is a troublemaker.
(c) So that his family can cut through the field as a shortcut.
(d) So that his family can sneak into the barn to take a nap.
2. What is the name of the town midwife?
3. What is Don Tiburcio's dying request to his wife?
(a) He asks her to clean the fireplace and then leave.
(b) He asks her to burn down their house and leave.
(c) He asks her to bury him next to his mother.
(d) He asks her to make sure she never remarries.
4. Why are the people in the village leaving to find work in other areas?
(a) Because a new, larger mine is opening up in another city.
(b) Because the Americans shut down the mine.
(c) Because they are sick of working for the Americans.
(d) Because the war is coming to their village.
5. Where does Lupe go to school?
(a) The small school in the next town.
(b) At the Universidad.
(c) At her neighbors, Tia Juanita's.
(d) The American compound near the mine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young man who is hired by Don Benito to help move rocks and earth from the gold find?
2. What has the mine been named?
3. What is the reaction of Juan Salvador and his family upon seeing El Paso?
4. How do Dona Guadalupe and her children make money?
5. What is Don Victor's job when he meets Guadalupe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Victoriano, Ramon, and Don Benito on the day they are planning to blast out the gold?
2. Under what circumstances does Guadalupe meet Don Victor and marry him?
3. How does Guadalupe come to live with Leonides Camargo?
4. Why does Socorro leave to go to the lowlands, and what is Victoriano's response?
5. In Chapter Five, why does La Liebre want Dona Guadalupe's family captured and killed? Why doesn't this happen?
6. Why do Juan and Eduardo miss the train?
7. Why are Juan and his family heading north to El Paso?
8. Where does Juan look to gather firewood to sell?
9. What happens to the teacher's salary in the little village and what action do the townspeople take when they find out?
10. What are Don Pio Castro and his brothers looking for when they set out from Mexico City?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)