|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Victoriano looking through the discarded ore for gold?
(a) He is deliberately trying to anger the Americans.
(b) His mother needs help paying the bills.
(c) He wants to be a successful businessman.
(d) He is trying to get enough gold to make a ring.
2. How is the time of day described when Socorro is giving birth?
(a) It is a dark night with no moon or stars for light.
(b) The sun is blazing in the sky.
(c) There is a full moon.
(d) The rain is storming outside.
3. Who is Epitacio?
(a) Dona Margarita's brother-in-law.
(b) Don Castro's uncle.
(c) Juan Salvador's oldest brother.
(d) Luisa's second husband.
4. Why does Dona Guadalupe and her family crush the gold ore they have discovered into dust?
(a) Because it is more ore than gold.
(b) To make it seem like it came from the river.
(c) To make it seem like they have more.
(d) Because that is what you are supposed to do to gold ore.
5. What does the midwife say about the pain tolerance of men?
(a) That the only pain men feel is the pain of love.
(b) That men feel no pain whatsoever.
(c) That men have a much higher pain tolerance then women.
(d) That men cannot stand pain as women can.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Dona Margarita get so that she can feed her family?
2. Why is La Liebre upset with Dona Guadalupe and her family?
3. Who is the mayor's eldest daughter?
4. Victoriano is badly beaten after trying to defend what from the bandits?
5. Where does Don Castro set out from when leaving to start a new community?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events lead to the death of Don Tiburcio?
2. What is Lupe supposed to give her teacher on the first day of school?
3. Under what circumstances does Guadalupe meet Don Victor and marry him?
4. What does Lupe do with the Colonel's gray coat that Socorro throws out?
5. Why does Socorro leave to go to the lowlands, and what is Victoriano's response?
6. What has Victoriano done to upset La Liebre?
7. Why do the Mexican people seem to think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
8. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
9. In Chapter Eight, what has recently happened to Emilia?
10. What does the midwife tell Lupe about pain?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)