|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Juan Salvador Villasenor traveling with his family in Chapter 8?
(a) El Paso.
(b) Los Feliz.
2. What warning does Dona Guadalupe give to her youngest daughter Lupe early in the story?
(a) She warns Lupe not to like the Colonel too much.
(b) She cautions Lupe to stay away from the main roads.
(c) She warns Lupe not to go too near the mines.
(d) She cautions Lupe to not leave their hiding place.
3. Why does La Liebre decide to have Victoriano hanged in the town square?
(a) He is angry because the boy talked back to him in a crowd.
(b) He thinks the ore he has is more valuable than it is.
(c) Just because.
(d) He and Victoriano are fighting over the same woman.
4. What is Espirito offered for the golden rocks in the springs?
(a) Ten percent of the gold.
(b) One million dollars.
(c) All the clothes and food his people could need.
(d) A large ranch of his own.
5. What horrible thing has happened to Juan's sister Emilia?
(a) She was raped by soldiers.
(b) She was run over by a horse.
(c) She was sick with fever.
(d) She lost her voice forever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the villagers do as a result of the revolution on their small community?
2. At the funeral celebration for Don Benito, who announces that they are getting married?
3. How do Dona Guadalupe and her children make money?
4. How is the time of day described when Socorro is giving birth?
5. Why does Socorro throw out all of her husband's clothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Five, why does La Liebre want Dona Guadalupe's family captured and killed? Why doesn't this happen?
2. What effect does the revolution have on Don Castro's village?
3. What happens to the teacher's salary in the little village and what action do the townspeople take when they find out?
4. In Chapter Eight, what has recently happened to Emilia?
5. Why do the Mexican people seem to think highly of Colonel Maytorena?
6. What is Don Victor's plan to raise enough money for his family to leave for America? How long will this project take?
7. What does Juan tell God when he is collecting firewood?
8. What is Lupe supposed to give her teacher on the first day of school?
9. What are Don Pio Castro and his brothers looking for when they set out from Mexico City?
10. Why does Socorro leave to go to the lowlands, and what is Victoriano's response?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)