|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Juan trying to sell firewood?
(a) Because he likes selling firewood.
(b) He wants to be a small business owner.
(c) Because without money the family will starve.
(d) Because his father used to sell firewood as well.
2. Who misses the train to America with Juan?
(a) No one, he is all alone.
3. What one item of Colonel Maytorena's clothing does Lupe rescue from being discarded?
(a) His white shirt.
(b) His black gloves.
(c) His gray coat.
(d) His blue hat.
4. What is the name of the young man who is hired by Don Benito to help move rocks and earth from the gold find?
5. Why does La Liebre decide to have Victoriano hanged in the town square?
(a) He thinks the ore he has is more valuable than it is.
(b) He and Victoriano are fighting over the same woman.
(c) He is angry because the boy talked back to him in a crowd.
(d) Just because.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Don Victor believe it will take his family to gather enough gold to buy their way to the U.S.?
2. Towards the end of Chapter 7, what do the soldiers do in response to the angry crowds they see in the village?
3. Where does Don Victor go in search of work?
4. At the funeral celebration for Don Benito, who announces that they are getting married?
5. Who are the two sides involved in the great war that is occurring in the valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the revolution have on Don Castro's village?
2. Why do Juan and Eduardo miss the train?
3. What happens to the teacher's salary in the little village and what action do the townspeople take when they find out?
4. What does Rose-Mary do to Lupe on her first day of school, and why?
5. Why does Socorro leave to go to the lowlands, and what is Victoriano's response?
6. Why are Juan and his family heading north to El Paso?
7. What are Don Pio Castro and his brothers looking for when they set out from Mexico City?
8. What is Espirito doing when he finds the gold? Where is the gold found?
9. What is Don Manuel's behavior when he comes to perform at Sophia's wedding, and why?
10. According to Chapter One, what is "Rain of Gold" about and in what time period does it take place?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)